Page 4 of 103 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314244484 ... LastLast

Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

Re: Cyclists.... suggestions, please

Either/or. Race season ended yesterday, so now it's time to go out in the woods and laugh at my homies, and versey vicey.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I was at REI this weekend and they have markdowns on their markdowns. Total of 25-40% discounts.

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

1 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I was looking for a bike for my son, he wanted a new one that was kinda so-so, I insisted on finding a used quality bike for similar money. He bought a mint Giant XTC 1 29er today for cheep. I'm totally gonna steal it. The brakes and suspension are nicer than my racebike.

1 Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

SLX brakes? I just put them on my bike and love them. You can pick up a set in the UK for $115 (no rotors) with Free Shipping.

0 Not allowed!

Got a nice ride in yesterday around Big River. Trail riding on a MTB seems like pretty much exactly what I wanted it to be. Only went down a few times, mostly gracefully. I need to learn how to turn the damn thing. I went over a few berms and straight into the woods at embarrassingly low speeds.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    Got a nice ride in yesterday around Big River. Trail riding on a MTB seems like pretty much exactly what I wanted it to be. Only went down a few times, mostly gracefully. I need to learn how to turn the damn thing. I went over a few berms and straight into the woods at embarrassingly low speeds.
    Its almost damn near identical to riding a dirtbike...judging by your profile picture, this explains the problem.

1 Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

Look where you want to go.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Its almost damn near identical to riding a dirtbike...judging by your profile picture, this explains the problem.
    Haha yup, I have problems on the dirtbike too, although I''m getting better with that.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

I sit going through dirt bike berms to keep the mass low - not sure if that's right or wrong. But sitting on a MTB through berms feels all sorts of weird to me. You can stand, but ideally, you kind of hover off the seat. Knees bent, elbows out.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I sit going through dirt bike berms to keep the mass low - not sure if that's right or wrong. But sitting on a MTB through berms feels all sorts of weird to me. You can stand, but ideally, you kind of hover off the seat. Knees bent, elbows out.
    You may be seated on a dirtbike, but this is not only to get the mass low. I'd say it is more importantly to get the weight forward. Can't expect your front tire to do anything if it has no grip. Also, you shouldn't have your ass just planted in the seat, you should be weighting your feet. A MTB seat does not extend all the way to the bars, so you need to stand to get the weight forward...and low for that matter.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 11-16-15 at 12:41 PM.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

Let's say I'm going through a bermed left-hander on a MTB. Should my right pedal be extended to the bottom of the pedal stroke, or should I keep both pedals level?

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    You may be seated on a dirtbike, but this is not only to get the mass low. I'd say it is more importantly to get the weight forward. Can't expect your front tire to do anything if it has no grip. Also, you shouldn't have your ass just planted in the seat, you should be weighting your feet. A MTB seat does not extend all the way to the bars, so you need to stand to get the weight forward...and low for that matter.
    Good point about weighting the feet. I do that, but not consciously. The same is true on MTB. Very rare do you want all the weight on the seat.

I think there's more to standing on MTB than getting the weight forward. On dirt bikes, you'd rather the weight over the front wheel so you can drive with the rear/throttle. Can't do that on MTB, and it's not apples to apples when it comes to weight distribution. I feel neutral position works in most cases on MTB berms. I suppose the act of bending your elbows shifts your torso a little closer to the front, but I don't think you want to push your mid section further forward like some do on a dirt bike.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

On dirt bikes, you'd rather the weight over the front wheel so you can drive with the rear/throttle.
    More about keeping the front end from pushing, no?

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

In my experience, if you stay neutral on a dirt bike going in a berm, the front won't push. Maybe I'm not going fast enough. But if you want to get on the gas through the berm, then it'll push. Weighting the front helps you drive with the rear. Keeps it from pushing and resists having the forks lengthen.

Re: pedal position, if you're not fast enough through the berm, you're pedaling. At the fastest levels, the level of lean requires the inside pedal be up. But for the average rider, staggered is probably ideal.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Re: pedal position, if you're not fast enough through the berm, you're pedaling. At the fastest levels, the level of lean requires the inside pedal be up. But for the average rider, staggered is probably ideal.
    If going in staggered, does it make any difference which one is forward? Outside foot forward so that you can pedal a quarter-stroke without clearance issues on the inside?

0 Not allowed!

I've experimented with the feet flat vs outside foot down A LOT in CX. My take: if the lean angle warrants it, put the outside foot down. If the lean angle does not warrant it, I have better feel with both feet flat. This typically occurs in the more high speed, downhill corners. Although, If I keep both feet flat, I am only comfortable with right foot forward.

0 Not allowed!
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Try them all and see what you are most comfortable and fastest with and do that. A lot of things are not one size fits all. lots of ways to skin a cat.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Try them all and see what you are most comfortable and fastest with and do that. A lot of things are not one size fits all. lots of ways to skin a cat.
    Its always a balance between that and fundamentals. Sometimes the fundamentals aren't intuitive.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

If going in staggered, does it make any difference which one is forward? Outside foot forward so that you can pedal a quarter-stroke without clearance issues on the inside?
    There might be a technically correct answer, but I think it starts to fall under 'over thinking it' at our level. It'd be interesting to see what the pro downhillers do. Outside foot forward probably feels more natural if you want to shift in to outside pedal down mid-turn. Because pedaling forward probably feels more 'right' than a backwards spin.

The last time I had some good berm action, I felt my form was all sorts of wrong. I was pulling on the bars, in order to let my rear end hang back off the seat. And I was still carrying plenty of speed. Point being a lot of this is macro skills and understanding the surface traction than it is fine tuning your form. Other variables include the type of bike, and the surface. A professionally groomed berm is a different experience than a rutted out one made by the locals.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Its always a balance between that and fundamentals. Sometimes the fundamentals aren't intuitive.
    In that case, since you're new, you'll be MUCH better off if you force yourself to clear obstacles with either foot forward. That way you don't always have your right foot forward like jay (and me most times).

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Agreed fully which I why I suggested to try them all to see what you like. When I watch the hard enduro guys I see that they do some things very similar and yet others their techniques vary wildly and yet they are all successful at some level. Comparing Graham Jarvis to David Knight for example shows different styles that accomplish the same end result.

Go out and play around with the different techniques and as Chipper says you may find that you will become for lack of a better term ambidextrous at things that most people only do one way.

Injury forced me to learn how to do a lot of things lefty that I used to only be able to do righty and now the fact that I can do the same task with either hand is super convenient.

0 Not allowed!

Just ordered some Nitefighter lights! I've been riding every chance I get, which has only been Sundays. This will hopefully change that. Now I need to figure out some biking-friendly cold weather gear.

0 Not allowed!

Craft makes absolutely killer gear for cycling. Their base layers are the BEST. I practically own the entire line.

Craft Sportswear Online Store - www.craftsports.us

0 Not allowed!
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

Lifer

I rode with a light for the first time last night with a Bright Eyes light. I don't anticipate becoming a big night rider, so I didn't want anything fancy. And in fact, I think it'll probably be more important to have a two-light set up, than it is to have one great one. One on the bars, one on my head. I just had one on the bar this time, and it confirmed my suspicion. I felt like it wouldn't be the most exciting unless you already know the trails well. Pretty happy with the light so far though.

Tons of moths. Like I've never seen that many before. It was weird. I was riding till dusk with out a light, and as soon as it was dark, they appeared out of no where. I think my rear hub finally gave up though. It hasn't been sounding great and I've been meaning to open it up. I think it's seized now. That's what I get for putting it off.

Dirtbike helmet keeps your face warm, and makes me feel better about finding trees with my face. Spandex(?) undershirt and long underpants help keep the breeze down, but you don't soak in sweat. And they're tight so they won't get caught in the chain.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by aldend123; 12-07-15 at 05:12 PM.
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R