Page 5 of 103 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415254585 ... LastLast

Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

Re: Cyclists.... suggestions, please

I went with one for the bars and one for the helmet. Wider beam on the bars, narrower on the helmet. Now I just need to snag a fat bike before the snow falls.

0 Not allowed!

I went for some super early morning jibs today. Nite rider 700 is titties.

Pete, where you living? There's a loop in tiverton we ride all the time.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I'm by Rocky Point in Warwick, so probably 50 mins from there. It takes me 30 mins to get to any riding spots, so thats not much farther. Is it part of this?

Weetamoo Woods | NEMBA

0 Not allowed!

Yup. They also don't allow hunting there, so this time of year it's a little "safer".

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Anyone (Chip?) try any of the new 27.5+ size stuff? I had a puglsey in the past and couldn't get used to the ride, these seem to have a 3" wide tire. Just curious as to how much of a fad it is or if it actually makes a huge improvement?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bryco13 View Post
    Anyone (Chip?) try any of the new 27.5+ size stuff? I had a puglsey in the past and couldn't get used to the ride, these seem to have a 3" wide tire. Just curious as to how much of a fad it is or if it actually makes a huge improvement?
    I rode a Specialized Stumpjumper 6Fattie (27.5+ full suspension) a month or so ago. It was a lot of fun. I'm not sure if the reason the bike rode as great as it did because of the plus size wheels, or if it was because it was a full carbon, almost top of the line model (it's the version right below the S-Works). I will be riding it again once spring rolls around, so hopefully I'll have a better idea then. Right now, I'm not sure if I would buy a 27.5+ or a 29er. I really like my Stumpy 29er, but the 27+ does offer some definite benefits.

BTW, I dropped over a minute off my personal best on the 4 mile out and back (just over 30 minutes) on my test ride, so the bike is definitely fast.

0 Not allowed!
    -Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

I haven't ridden anything yet.

I'm on the fence here. I'd probably be more inclined to go for a standard 650b and lace up a wider rim and stay with say a 2.4ish tire. And a standard fatty, of course. In my mind a b+ only offers some of the benefits of either size. Sure you get a some added traction and undampened suspension from the tires, but it's still only marginally lighter than a regular fat bike wheel.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Chipper, I can arrange a test ride for you, but it would require you to come up and ride the trails around here.

0 Not allowed!
    -Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

I've drank about every flavor of 29er kool aid available, and spent a lot of money trying to make it work. Regardless of the collective opinion, and any stats I can read about or be forced my way, they've never ridden as good as any 26" bike I've ever had. I'm thinking the next bike will be a 27.5 just due to the fact that it rides somewhat similar to what I remember a 26" being like. Don't get me wrong, my rigid specialized ss is a 29, and on certain trails where my fat ass can actually get it to spool up the thing is amazing. Only reason I really looked at the b+ is that while you can run a smaller tire on some of those rims, you can't necessarily do it the other way around (running fat tires on a regular hardtail) lots of the newer stuff have a max of 2.3 or 2.4 from what I've seen. I'd really like to try 2 similar bikes just the different wheels on the same trail to see what the differences are. I feel like a lighter wheelset would benefit me more than some extra traction.

0 Not allowed!

It definitely would. There are SOME options for that, that aren't quite b+ and will fit in a standard frame. 35-45mm width stuff. I was thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to having a set laced up for my hardtail, but I said fuck it and bought a full squish frameset instead (a decision I don't regret at this point). I still have the light wheels, but the ride is exponentially improved.

Also, the wide rims that are aluminum that are light are really fragile at this point. I'm not the kind of bicycle rider (in the woods for sure) that wants to think about being gentle with carbon wheels, and I don't want to spend big bucks for a set of AM type enves or anything. So I figure I'll just ride what I have now until somebody makes a product to fill the void, or not, it's no issue now. To further where I stand on the topic, there's definitely something to be said for having the tire still bubble out wider than the rim (something you wouldn't see with a 2.2 on a 45mm rim. So any jagged rock or strike could too easily compromise the bead and cause inflation issues; and tubes are so 2003.
    I've come close a few times with my fatty, which has 4.0's and 80's for summer duty. I'd hate to do that with a quarter of the air volume at likely the same speeds or just a little bit better.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I've seen some nice builds using the Derby carbon rims out there. Enve, Derby, Chinese knock off, either way I exceed the weight limit by too much. I do like the specialized fattie rims though, they have a nice profile that isn't too cartoonish in size. LRRS, was that what was on the specialized you rode or were they wider because its a b+ ?

0 Not allowed!

They were just whatever comes stock on the bike. 29mm wide alloys according to the Specialized web site. I'd like to throw a set of carbon wheels on it, the wheels are definitely not light. That bike is a lot heavier than I expected from a $6500 mountain bike. Only about a pound lighter than my alloy 29er.

0 Not allowed!
    -Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Your mtb a fully Brian?

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I don't get why the FSR 6fatties have "normal" 29mm internal rims and the hardtails wider ones with the same tires (38mm or 45mm internal). Maybe less clearance?

The spec 3” tires weigh 1kg+ so fussing about weight seems kind of silly to me. That said I like me some nice wheels, just picked up a DT/king set for my 29er

0 Not allowed!

Not all the tires weigh that much, just the 4.0's and bigger. The b+ tires should be well under 1kg.

I'm assuming they went with the wider rims on the hardtails to increase the volume for a softer ride. 29mm (probably external) isn't exactly considered wide these days. But looking at pics of the bike, it does illustrate what I was getting at earlier, where the tire is wide enough to protect the rim from strikes. There's a lot less of that offered with the wtb scrapers on the hardtails.

But you're spot on, a nice set of wheels is titties. As far as good wheels cheap, stans wheels offer huge bang/buck. (For the rest of y'all) and having a set built is definitely a close second. A little more $, but not usually as much as an equivalent spec factory wheelset.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

You MTB guys should all come hang and party at Ice Weasels this weekend. Its the most fun event of the year.

https://www.bikereg.com/29464

"Hey, you probably noticed from the category names that this isn't a USAC sanctioned event. If you can't figure out what field to register for, the answer is either "Beginner" or "Singlespeed." Or you can always email us any questions using the "contact event" link above."

"Mountain Bikes allowed in any category. Even if they have bar ends. Unless the bar ends have pointy knives on them."

"By registering for this event, I understand that alcohol may be present and that no amount of spandex or end-of-season cheer changes the laws of Rhode Island: specifically that PROVIDING ALCOHOL TO A MINOR IS A CRIME and that DRIVING DRUNK IS A CRIME."

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 12-08-15 at 10:07 AM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

I raced at river point over the winter. Those ri cx dudes are a real fun bunch. Unfortunately this weekend doesn't fit into my schedule or I'd be there for certain.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

WTB and Spec b+ are 980-1200g, Schwalbe makes lighter b+ tires but I would be too worried about shredding that $$$$ sidewall. Either way I'd like to give them a try. The only downsides besides weight that I've heard about are grip when leaned way over since they don't have big side knobs. Supposedly they fit in my frame but there aren't many take-off wheelsets floating around yet.

0 Not allowed!

I'm going to buy one of these two bikes, hopefully to use as a do-everything, 4-season bike (and potentially get rid of the 29er I just got). The Lurch is steel, heavier, less exciting geometry, but appears much better spec'd. The Sturgis is aluminum, more attractive, more trail oriented geometry, but not as well spec'd. In particular, people seem to have very strong (favorable) opinions about the Mulefut wheels and sealed hub bearings on the Lurch. Thoughts?

Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Lurch X9 SRAM ROckshox Bluto Equipped

Save up to 60% off new Rockshox Bluto Equipped Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Sturgis Bullet 2x10 SRAM

0 Not allowed!

It's a wash. I "like" the look of the lurch better. Just do some homework on setting them up tubeless, as that should be task 1 when you get the thing.
    I can tell you from experience that that shifter and derailler combo will have you wishing for something better quickly.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I can tell you from experience that that shifter and derailler combo will have you wishing for something better quickly.
    On either option? X9 is legit, no? Keep in mind I have no idea what I'm talking about.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

I've got an X9 rear, X7 front, and X7 shifters and I think they're fine. They aren't the smoothest or most satisfying to use. I could see upgrading my shifters (at least, my rear shifter) to an X9 but I'm not in a hurry. The throw on the downshift lever is heavy and a bit long. My thumbs can get a bit tired out on occasion, but it's not a big deal.

I'd be way more interested in upgrading from the Avid BB7 Mechanical brakes that I see on the spec sheet. I have those on my hardtail and they work fine. But once you know the feel of good hydros, they're really unsatisfying to use and require much more effort to pull. They can also be tricky to set up right since they are single-piston. The inside pad is fixed, so the outside pad presses the disc against the inside one.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

The aluminum one looks like it may have hydraulic discs as opposed to cable actuated discs.

0 Not allowed!

Not too worried about the BB7s. Now I'm hesitating because the 120mm travel bluto seems to slacken the head angle a bit too much. Some people are reporting excessively sluggish steering and problems keeping the front down on climbs. On the flip side there are people saying it's the best upgrade they ever did. Hmmm

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Your mtb a fully Brian?
    Yessir. I'm really wanting to try out a higher-end hardtail sometime too, because I wonder how much I really need the rear suspension on a lot of my local trails, and whether the weight savings would be worth it.

And Specialized went with the narrower rim on the Stumpy 6Fattie to save weight; they claim because its a full squishy frame, you can run higher pressures in the tires to make the narrower rim work.

0 Not allowed!
    -Brian
    15 S-Works Venge