Page 83 of 83 FirstFirst ... 343637374757677787980818283
Results 2,051 to 2,065 of 2065

Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

Used to know a thing or 2 eboos's Avatar
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

Used to commute occasionally to Worcester State from my old house. 19 miles each way on the same road bike I will be racing this year. It is a good thing they had showers there.

0 Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Also peep the surly big dummy.
    To carry all the things/humans, it sounds like a cargo bike is in order.
    My kid seat experience is pretty limited, but I loved having R on the back of my old road bike when she was small enough.
    I never used one of those green ones where the kid went in front.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM LRRS 560x retired, PSTR 317 B-vet, NETRA enduro B-vet

iTrader Score

The bike I was commuting on was a Trek DS8.5 and it worked well for that. I was going 12mi each way. The bike is heavier than a roadie but had lockable front suspension and it was fairly long and comfy. I took the semi-tready tires off and put city 35's on it to smooth out the ride. Off road it would handle trails, I wouldn't take it hardcore stump pounding, but it would probably do ok at that for a little while. On the road, I've done 30mi rides on it and it gives you a workout.
    All I commuted with was a backpack at most. Had a locker at work where I stored spare work clothes so that was easy.
    It really comes down to what you plan to do with it.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

Just so everyone knows this thread did in fact lead to a purchase, I bought a commuter today. 15% last years model. Iím all in at $800 for bike, rack, kid seat, fenders, and lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 Not allowed!
    Last edited by loudbeard; 02-14-18 at 05:18 PM.
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

It’s steel. I am pleased.

2 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Nice! Can't beat that price point.

FYI, I passed one of those child carrier bikes twice on my ride today as I did laps upon laps around Tom Brady's house. Dad was haulin'. Didn't have kids on the way out, had kids on the way back.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 02-14-18 at 07:23 PM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

iTrader Score

Nice purchase.

I see you've already started mapping out your bike routes there on the dry erase.

1 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

I believe I was thinking about this all wrong from the start. I definitely want to get a mountain bike but I wouldn't be able to ride as much and honestly I'd be adding another personal activity that keeps me away from the family. So I also bought a Coda for Stacy, bringing her in on Saturday morning to get sized. We'll get to do it a lot more this way. Toss bikes in the back of the truck, bring the kiddo along, no need to find a babysitter, no excuses to not go. I'll feel a lot better about spending mountain bike money down the road if I can stick to this for a bit. Also doing fenders, lights, and rack on her bike. The kid seat can be swapped back and fourth, panniers on the non-kid bike to carry food and diapers. I'm fairly convinced this is a good place to get started.

5 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

That plan rules. I hope the 3 or you can put it together and have a fantastic time with it.

1 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM LRRS 560x retired, PSTR 317 B-vet, NETRA enduro B-vet

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

I agree, mostly.

My wife decided to get all spendy and bought a Wehoo trailer. We used it a dozen plus times already last year and it's a real hit. Kiddo can pedal if she wants, or not. Even zonks out. Wife and I really like that the weight is down low. Not sure she'd be as confident with the kiddo in a bike seat. We bought a couple extra hitches and have them on both our bikes for easy swaps. 30-second swapover. Tons of storage for kid supplies, picnic supplies too.

The Timberjack tows the trailer just fine. But I have also set up my 15 year old mountain bike as a hybrid of sorts now. $25 buys you some Kenda 26'er slicks that work great on road and hard-packed rail trails alike. I'm considering bar risers too. My wehoo hitch stays on that most of the time. Wifey only has one bike; an older mountain bike. She does not ride except on the family outings.

I'm really hoping to push the kiddo into really getting the hang of the balance bike we have for her now, hopefully get her out riding by herself. My worst kept secret plan is to be able to enjoy bicycling with her. I foresee a day where she and I load up together and go pedal the state forests.

We see that as a prerequisite to getting her on a moto as well. I'm not even going to consider anything like a PW50 until she can rock a bicycle with real confidence.

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

I like the trailer idea, but my biggest concern is the width. My route to work, and generally all of the roads in my town are 2 lane with no shoulder. Iíve witnessed enough disregard for biker safety by motorists that I donít really want to become a bigger target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

The wehoo is a single wheel trailer. It really isn't any wider than any other kid-seat setup I've ever seen. It may be a slightly bigger target when turning due to the nature of it being a tow-behind. But it isn't any wider in the straight.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    The wehoo is a single wheel trailer. It really isn't any wider than any other kid-seat setup I've ever seen. It may be a slightly bigger target when turning due to the nature of it being a tow-behind. But it isn't any wider in the straight.
    Ah! I see it now! Their website is a bit garbage...click on thumbnails and it loads it as a file rather than a sweet scrolly thing? The Venture looks like the right buy, $50 more than the Turbo for more storage. Definitely better than the two wheeled variety.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

We have the regular turbo. I think the Venture is a lot longer.

0 Not allowed!

Used to know a thing or 2 eboos's Avatar
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Zwift just called me lazy last night.

I was doing Week 4, Day 1 of an 8 week race prep workout. It was micro bursts = warm up 10 minutes, than 20 10 second intervals at 200% of FTP with a 20 second recovery between, 5 minute rest than 10 20 second intervals at 200% FTP with a 40 second recovery between, another 5 minute rest than repeat the 20 10 second intervals before a 10 minute cool down.

It was hard, no doubt. for the recovery, I would spin 36/17 at a low rpm, then jump into 52/17 at 110 rpm for the micro bursts. For those who are not familiar with Zwift workouts, you get a star for perfect performance, a half star for okay performance, and no star if you failed.

In the 20 second sessions, it started to get pretty difficult, and my heart rate remained pretty high, but I continued on, and was doing very well. After the last 20 second effort I down shifted my front derailleur, but dropped my chain. I still had my last 40 second recovery before the segment was over. I hopped off the bike real quick, reset my chain, and hopped back on. However, I was not fast enough. Big red letters: I failed that segment.

0 Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)