Page 89 of 91 FirstFirst ... 9496979808182838485868788899091 LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 2256

Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

  1. #2201
    Lifer obsolete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norf Sho
    Age
    38
    Posts
    10,909

    Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by eboos View Post
    Holy Crap!!!
    Yeah, took me the same time to do 35 miles and my ass is killing me. This whole bike thing is hard...

    0 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

  2. #2202
    Lifer loudbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,923

    Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

    Well I had a less than spectacular performance at the Pukwudgie TT, but I finished. 1 hour 37 minutes. That's a long damn time on that course. I came in 2nd to last in novice men and had the second worst time of all competitors...including children. I'll make a small excuse for myself, I threw my back out a week before carrying an old Labrador up and down my stairs and I still haven't fully recovered from that. The course was by far the roughest thing I've ever rode and I've discovered that the angle of my seat is less than ideal. It's angled a bit up so I just spent 1hr37m getting severely grundled, I checked this morning with a series of mirrors and my taint is black and blue.

    Towards the end (mile left?) of the course I was making a short climb and noticed a rider facing the wrong way on the trail looking down at me. Just as I went by I realized it was Chipper, hah! He went out in an earlier group...probably got worried that I was laying over dead somewhere...and rode back out to check my progress. Slow and shakey brings up the rear.

    There were a few important lessons to learn. Fitness is the main thing for me, I'm coming off of 2 years of a fairly sedentary lifestyle and it's going to take some time and work to get back in shape. On this particular course I have an "easy" 30 minutes to shave; I took a few breaks on the times I fell and the time I tried to adjust my seat, also I spent a lot of time coasting on the downhill sections. If I could be more aggressive there it would do wonders for my average speed.
    I really need to focus on staying seated during climbs, when I stood up to mash I'd typically loose traction on the rear and it would stall my climb.
    I've found I can power through pretty much everything (except the Rock Garden) if I just stay seated and keep moving. It's tough to look much further than 10 feet ahead once you get tired, when I was able to make myself do that I was successful getting through the tough/technical sections, when I didn't it usually resulted in a fail. This becomes even more important on a climb where once you stall it's extremely difficult to get pedaling again.

    So: keep ass in seat, take the slack out of the rope, stop eating so many cheeseburgers, and get my fat ass our there and pedal some more!

    PS, it was a hell of a lot of fun.

    3 Not allowed!
    Last edited by loudbeard; 04-16-18 at 08:41 AM.
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

  3. #2203
    Fast is contagious JettaJayGLS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Roxbury
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,545

    Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

    Your ability to jump head first into everything is damn impressive.

    It will only get better, but it never gets easier.

    1 Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

  4. #2204
    Lifer Chippertheripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    the fairest of havens
    Age
    38
    Posts
    12,060

    Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

    Freetown, and that loop specifically, is the stuff of legend, and have soured many a cyclist about riding there, and mountainbiking in general. Good on ya for getting out there.

    For my own story of woe, I was also 2nd to last, but I was only a minute slower than last year, which is great considering how little I’ve ridden.

    0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

  5. #2205
    Lifer obsolete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norf Sho
    Age
    38
    Posts
    10,909

    Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Well I had a less than spectacular performance at the Pukwudgie TT, but I finished. 1 hour 37 minutes. That's a long damn time on that course. I came in 2nd to last in novice men and had the second worst time of all competitors...including children. I'll make a small excuse for myself, I threw my back out a week before carrying an old Labrador up and down my stairs and I still haven't fully recovered from that. The course was by far the roughest thing I've ever rode and I've discovered that the angle of my seat is less than ideal. It's angled a bit up so I just spent 1hr37m getting severely grundled, I checked this morning with a series of mirrors and my taint is black and blue.

    Towards the end (mile left?) of the course I was making a short climb and noticed a rider facing the wrong way on the trail looking down at me. Just as I went by I realized it was Chipper, hah! He went out in an earlier group...probably got worried that I was laying over dead somewhere...and rode back out to check my progress. Slow and shakey brings up the rear.

    There were a few important lessons to learn. Fitness is the main thing for me, I'm coming off of 2 years of a fairly sedentary lifestyle and it's going to take some time and work to get back in shape. On this particular course I have an "easy" 30 minutes to shave; I took a few breaks on the times I fell and the time I tried to adjust my seat, also I spent a lot of time coasting on the downhill sections. If I could be more aggressive there it would do wonders for my average speed.
    I really need to focus on staying seated during climbs, when I stood up to mash I'd typically loose traction on the rear and it would stall my climb.
    I've found I can power through pretty much everything (except the Rock Garden) if I just stay seated and keep moving. It's tough to look much further than 10 feet ahead once you get tired, when I was able to make myself do that I was successful getting through the tough/technical sections, when I didn't it usually resulted in a fail. This becomes even more important on a climb where once you stall it's extremely difficult to get pedaling again.

    So: keep ass in seat, take the slack out of the rope, stop eating so many cheeseburgers, and get my fat ass our there and pedal some more!

    PS, it was a hell of a lot of fun.
    Funny, after my last ride I had my fitment checked and my seat was also 3-4 degrees up. I'm hoping this was the source of my also demolished Gooch.

    0 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

  6. #2206
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    15,424

    Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    I really need to focus on staying seated during climbs, when I stood up to mash I'd typically loose traction on the rear and it would stall my climb.
    I have this problem too. When I want to stand up the most is when the climb is steepest or I botch the approach in the wrong gear. This is the worst time as the rear immediately looses traction and we're done. I have to say the new bike with it's 1x and much lower gearing is way mo' bettah for this than the old MTB I had. Bike is so much easier to power up a climb plus is way easier to downshift when I get into trouble.
    Conversely the bike is lighter and wants to pitch up 'n over easier. Bah!

    None of this is a problem on the road bike.

    Still digging the clips in the woods? I just can't bring myself to try them out again. When I was 20-something I put clips on my MTB and proceeded to damage myself. Can't believe my 40-something self would do any better, ever.


    I'd love to get out and pedal. Mother nature is not cooperating. The banks were almost gone from the yard and spring was very nearly here.. then this weekend came. I can't be bothered to pedal on the road, never mind in the muddy woods right now.

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 04-16-18 at 09:41 AM.

  7. #2207
    Lifer loudbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,923

    Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Your ability to jump head first into everything is damn impressive.
    Pretty much the only way I do things...if only I could recoup the wasted capital from "investing" in hobbies that didn't stick.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Freetown, and that loop specifically, is the stuff of legend, and have soured many a cyclist about riding there, and mountainbiking in general. Good on ya for getting out there.

    For my own story of woe, I was also 2nd to last, but I was only a minute slower than last year, which is great considering how little Iíve ridden.
    Looking forward to going and having a rip through the south side with you soon. As satisfying (I think that's the word) as it is to tackle the super slow/technical rocky bits, I had some big grins blasting through the few sections that were a bit faster and had some flow to them. Thanks for dragging my ass across the line.

    Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    Funny, after my last ride I had my fitment checked and my seat was also 3-4 degrees up. I'm hoping this was the source of my also demolished Gooch.
    Nothing worse than a bad grundling.

    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I have this problem too. When I want to stand up the most is when the climb is steepest or I botch the approach in the wrong gear. This is the worst time as the rear immediately looses traction and we're done. I have to say the new bike with it's 1x and much lower gearing is way mo' bettah for this than the old MTB I had. Bike is so much easier to power up a climb plus is way easier to downshift when I get into trouble.
    Conversely the bike is lighter and wants to pitch up 'n over easier. Bah!

    None of this is a problem on the road bike.

    Still digging the clips in the woods? I just can't bring myself to try them out again. When I was 20-something I put clips on my MTB and proceeded to damage myself. Can't believe my 40-something self would do any better, ever.


    I'd love to get out and pedal. Mother nature is not cooperating. The banks were almost gone from the yard and spring was very nearly here.. then this weekend came. I can't be bothered to pedal on the road, never mind in the muddy woods right now.
    Chipper gave me a tip on BP after the race when I was explaining the troubles I was having. Tuck similar road bike and keep your arms tight to your body. I haven't tried it yet since he conveniently waited until *after* the race to tell me, but it makes sense. Likewise, I have trouble lofting the front when seated, and of course the loss of traction when I stand. Chipper's method sounds like it will allow you to weight both ends of the bike, the only problem I can see having with it is being less agile and maybe having difficulty changing my line mid-climb.

    I love the clips in the woods. It was definitely intimidating before I did it but the learning curve was pretty flat and I'm digging all the extra power I can make now. Honestly I think I'd have a lot more trouble if I didn't clip in. I could see not wanting them for downhill type riding, but for XC clipless is where it's at. I run the cheapo ($35?) Shimano SPD's and have the spring on it's loosest setting so I can pop out easily. I haven't had any problems with my feet inadvertently popping out. I bought them, took a few laps around the yard, then went right out to the woods with no problems. I've even gotten pretty good at race/panic type starts when I have to hammer immediately and get my 2nd foot clipped in ASAP.

    0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

  8. #2208
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    15,424

    Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

    Meh. Maybe I'll give them a try again. I'm sold on them for road. But I'm slow and dimwitted. Easier to see things coming, process and plan in that environment than in the woods.

    0 Not allowed!

  9. #2209
    Lifer obsolete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norf Sho
    Age
    38
    Posts
    10,909

    Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

    How long is this race? I gave up sucking at cycling in the woods to suck at cycling on the street for a couple charity rides. For all the little issues I've been running into I'm digging it.

    0 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

  10. #2210
    Lifer Chippertheripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    the fairest of havens
    Age
    38
    Posts
    12,060

    Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

    7ish miles. It’s a rugged course though. I’ll happily escort anyone around it.

    0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

  11. #2211
    Lifer obsolete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norf Sho
    Age
    38
    Posts
    10,909

    Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

    I'm actually thinking about trying a cyclocross event this summer. I bought a gravel bike mainly cause I still like trails but I have a friend that races them and I'm kinda intrigued.

    0 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

  12. #2212
    Lifer Chippertheripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    the fairest of havens
    Age
    38
    Posts
    12,060

    Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

    Cross is a fun little party time, but personally, I’d rather do some adventure/gravel rides or races.

    0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

  13. #2213
    Lifer loudbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,923

    Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

    I'm working on making my Coda a bit more gravel friendly. It comes with 700x32c tires and apparently will fit 700x35c and still clear fenders. I have my eyes on these Maxxis Speed Terrane's which are 700x33c, tubeless ready, semi-slick middle with a knobby outer section for dirt cornering.

    I recently put on a set of Jones H-bars with a 2.5" rise. They're really "MTB bars" but actually ended up being exactly what I needed for the Coda, it came equipped with narrow flat bars and I couldn't change my hand position and because of my shoulder injury I was going numb on my left arm. With the H-bars I have a wide grip for normal upright riding, then I have the center section which is a a few inches ahead of the stem clamp, I can drop down out of the wind and get my hands ahead of me for more speed. They're pretty dope.

    h-bars.jpg

    Knowing what I know now, I probably would have done well to buy Jamis' Renegade in the Expat trim, but alas that is not what I did. Anyway, I'll have fun with the one I have, slowly changing a few bits here and there to make it what I want.

    0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

  14. #2214
    Lifer obsolete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norf Sho
    Age
    38
    Posts
    10,909

    Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Cross is a fun little party time, but personally, I’d rather do some adventure/gravel rides or races.
    What are these you speak of?

    0 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

  15. #2215
    Lifer obsolete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norf Sho
    Age
    38
    Posts
    10,909

    Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    I'm working on making my Coda a bit more gravel friendly. It comes with 700x32c tires and apparently will fit 700x35c and still clear fenders. I have my eyes on these Maxxis Speed Terrane's which are 700x33c, tubeless ready, semi-slick middle with a knobby outer section for dirt cornering.

    I recently put on a set of Jones H-bars with a 2.5" rise. They're really "MTB bars" but actually ended up being exactly what I needed for the Coda, it came equipped with narrow flat bars and I couldn't change my hand position and because of my shoulder injury I was going numb on my left arm. With the H-bars I have a wide grip for normal upright riding, then I have the center section which is a a few inches ahead of the stem clamp, I can drop down out of the wind and get my hands ahead of me for more speed. They're pretty dope.

    h-bars.jpg

    Knowing what I know now, I probably would have done well to buy Jamis' Renegade in the Expat trim, but alas that is not what I did. Anyway, I'll have fun with the one I have, slowly changing a few bits here and there to make it what I want.
    Those bars are cool as hell looking. I'm on a trek domane gravel and it seems great for this noob. I need to get more miles and understand my own feedback before I buy more bike stuff haha

    0 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

  16. #2216
    Lifer Chippertheripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    the fairest of havens
    Age
    38
    Posts
    12,060

    Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

    Both my karate monkey and my fat bike have those jones loops. Fully ripper endorsed despite their neediness.
    There’s a few “gravel grinder” races around New England, and it’s a segment of cycling that’s gaining popularity for sure.

    0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

  17. #2217
    Fast is contagious JettaJayGLS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Roxbury
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,545

    Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    What are these you speak of?
    Rasputitsa is next weekend. I'll be there for that one.
    The Vermont Overland is in the fall...may have been the hardest I've ever pedaled my bike over a 3 hour period.

    https://www.rasputitsagravel.com/
    https://www.vermontoverland.com/bike/

    Those are the two big ones in New England, but there are a ton of other smaller ones to get your feet wet in.

    Its an interesting genre and as Chip has said, its picking up a TON of steam. They're fun and they're as competitive as you want them to be. I consider CX to be a relatively low barrier sport, but its still racing through and through. Gravel "races" are very much a participation sport as much as they are a race. More like Triathlon; you can race to win or you can race just to finish.

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 04-16-18 at 03:03 PM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

  18. #2218
    Lifer Chippertheripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    the fairest of havens
    Age
    38
    Posts
    12,060

    Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

    There’s one in Plymouth, and one across RI off the top of my head too.

    0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

  19. #2219
    Fast is contagious JettaJayGLS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Roxbury
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,545

    Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    There’s one in Plymouth, and one across RI off the top of my head too.
    Did the Plymouth one happen last year? I thought it got cancelled, or maybe it was just very poorly attended? I think weather was a factor.

    0 Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

  20. #2220
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    15,424

    Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

    http://raidrockingham.com/

    Runs by my house

    0 Not allowed!

  21. #2221
    Lifer obsolete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norf Sho
    Age
    38
    Posts
    10,909

    Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

    What's a good resource for finding these events?

    0 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

  22. #2222
    Lifer loudbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,923

    Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

    Hey do any of you racey types have any used CX tires in the no larger than 700x35c category that are still use-able for a an overweight novice like me? Before I go off spending $100+ on new rubbers and all...

    0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

  23. #2223
    Lifer Chippertheripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    the fairest of havens
    Age
    38
    Posts
    12,060

    Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Did the Plymouth one happen last year? I thought it got cancelled, or maybe it was just very poorly attended? I think weather was a factor.
    It happened. It was postponed.

    0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

  24. #2224
    Lifer Chippertheripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    the fairest of havens
    Age
    38
    Posts
    12,060

    Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Hey do any of you racey types have any used CX tires in the no larger than 700x35c category that are still use-able for a an overweight novice like me? Before I go off spending $100+ on new rubbers and all...
    You’re a week too late. I literally just chucked a ton of tires.
    You might get away with a larger sneak up front, which I endorse, if you can fit it, just as an aside.

    0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

  25. #2225
    Fast is contagious JettaJayGLS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Roxbury
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,545

    Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Hey do any of you racey types have any used CX tires in the no larger than 700x35c category that are still use-able for a an overweight novice like me? Before I go off spending $100+ on new rubbers and all...
    I have a shit load. Send me your address and I'll mail you a set of 33c Specialized Tracers for the price of on the house.
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/tr...RoCl2oQAvD_BwE

    I also have a set of brand new Challenge Baby Limus clinchers. I bought these in clinchers by mistake instead of tubulars and they're been sitting in the original boxes. These are a fast rolling mud tire. If anyone wants them, $100 shipped.
    http://www.challengetech.it/products...mus-pro-058/en

    0 Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •