Page 94 of 101 FirstFirst ... 14547484858687888990919293949596979899100101 LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,350 of 2514

Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    DK is on the list of epics should I ever become a real cyclist.

I spent some time on the surly doing some trimming for the netra enduro coming up. I think I swear pure bacon grease. I’m so disgusting. And sexy at the same time.
    Its so dumb. I get it, but I don't get it. That is in regards to DK and your sweat.

I think I'm going to drive out there. We gotta bring a shit ton of bikes, we need places to stay, and we need a support vehicle to carry all of this stuff. I'll have fun. Its easy to convince myself I won't, but I will.

If JetBlue flew out there, I'd be flying.

However, next van trip is this weekend. CCAP Kermis in Hartford Friday night then Wilmington Gran Prix on Saturday.
    https://www.bikereg.com/7th-annual-ccns-kermis
    https://www.bikereg.com/wilmington-grand-prix

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 05-16-18 at 11:54 AM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Its so dumb. I get it, but I don't get it. That is in regards to DK and your sweat.

I think I'm going to drive out there. We gotta bring a shit ton of bikes, we need places to stay, and we need a support vehicle to carry all of this stuff. I'll have fun. Its easy to convince myself I won't, but I will.

If JetBlue flew out there, I'd be flying.

However, next van trip is this weekend. CCAP Kermis in Hartford Friday night then Wilmington Gran Prix on Saturday.
    https://www.bikereg.com/7th-annual-ccns-kermis
    https://www.bikereg.com/wilmington-grand-prix
    "I get it, I just don't get it" is a recurring theme amongst enthusiasts of the same thing with slightly different disciplines.
    If you're going to Eastern NC, make sure to eat all the BBQ.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I’m flying pretty high right now. Race report from the weekend I wrote for the team:

AJ and I headed out Friday afternoon to the CCNS Kermis for a 9:10pm race. Gina, Tara and Meredith headed down earlier. The plan was drive two hours to CT to race the Kermis, then get in the van and just drive on to Jersey and meet the girls at a Marriott, then continue to Deleware in the morning. We got to the hotel at 2am. Before I dive into actual bike racing, a key part of this story was a text I sent to AJ earlier in the morning:

Gerry: Second guessing Wilmington, convince me otherwise.
    AJ: I already signed up and need a ride
    AJ: This is the last big check off the box for your 1
    AJ: Harden the fuck up
    AJ: Anything else?

The forecast was full on rain for a race 6.5 hours away. A race with 8 corners and a lot of elevation. But AJ won me over, and we rolled out of Boston around 5:30.

The Kermis was excellent and AJ and Gina owe you race reports for their huge wins. I played a supporting roll in that show attacking and trading turns with AJ following everything that went after Cole, who was up the road for half the race. Eventually it all came together and I limped my way to 10th. Legs felt pretty heavy after that one, but oh well, that stopped bother me a couple years ago.

We leave the hotel in Jersey around 9:45 in search of breakfast, we found a baller spot but at a pretty significant cost of time. Don’t worry, AJ confirmed the feedback trainer fits in the van and I got in 15 minutes of Z1 on the way to the race. Get there, pin up, course is soaked and it’s tighter and faster than I thought. Oh well, I’m here and I historically race well in the rain. I line up in the back knowing it was a mistake. I spend the first few laps closing gaps and getting to the front. Made it, all is well. Kelly Benefit had about 7 guys in the race and were GLVing the shit out of it. They’d attack and as soon as they got caught they’d send the next guy. All race. The race was fast especially considering the rain and all the corners: 25.5mph average. My plan was to not see the wind until late In the race. I wanted to try to finish in a small group and not have to pack sprint in these conditions. With 20 minutes left in a 60 minute race, I attacked and no one came with me. I stayed out there a lap, took a prime, then went back to the field to recover. Looks like I’m sprinting from the pack...or so I thought. Kelly keeps on playing their game up until 2 laps to go then take over the front. They’re not going fast enough, but they're organized. I recognize the lack of speed immediately. We’ve done it so many tines: attack all race for a break and then have nothing left for the lead out. I attack over them into the third corner on the final lap. It’s a 90 degree right into a steep downhill which bottoms out with another 90 degree right. I’m fully committed at this point. Next is another 90 degree right, a steep kicker, then a 90 degree left at the top. This is it. Kelly’s gassed and I have the legs to fly up this. The field is going to look at Kelly to do the work. Get to the top, take the left, then it’s a long long slightly downhill drag into another 90 degree right, the sketchiest corner on the course for sure. I keep the gap all the way to the corner and then sprint up the next kicker. At the top of that kicker is the final 90 degree right onto the long uphill finishing straight. I give everything’s that’s left, take a look back with 200m to go, Not.Even.Close. I bury my head for another 100m and then post up for way way too long. Honestly, I posted up so early because my legs couldnt pedal anymore...and selfish reasons of course. Hearing them yell “It’s Zipcar!” on the mic will never get old.

It’s 11:23pm, 2 more hours until we’re home. We stopped in Philly for some damn good grub on the way home and I just finished a McDonalds hot fudge sundae at the rest stop. We also cleaned up with over $1k in prize money, collectively. This trip was so worth it.

3 Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 05-21-18 at 09:23 AM.

Used to know a thing or 2 eboos's Avatar

CCNS Kermis Race Report Cat 4/5

I did the advanced crit clinic earlier in the day, so I had plenty of time on this course. Particularly the left hand switchback that will lead into a right hand switchback. I found that I could take that left very fast. Being a new member, I had a pair of Minuteman bibs, but the rest of my kit was on order. Brian Haugli offered up a jersey for me to borrow, so I suited up. With 49 in the field I felt that it was important to stay towards the front, but not do the same mistake that I do over and over again which is lead and wear myself out. My goal was energy conservation and to finish with the pack.

With a large field, it felt like the race went: park, sprint, park, sprint. It was a little frustrating because if you got caught up in the park there was a significant yo-yo effect. I was more important for me to be towards the front so I can avoid the park, take advantage of corner speed and conserve energy by not having to sprint. I surfed through the pack pretty well, but a couple of times I got caught in the park and got shuffled back again. With about 6 laps to go, I got shuffled back for the last time and I lost the field. Here we go again. Another race turned into an individual time trial.

At least now I was free to ride the course the way that I can ride the course. I took the opportunity to sweep through every other dropped rider. They would try to stick to my wheel, but I would gap them in the corners and loose them. This went on for the remainder of the race. In the last lap, I passed someone who I don't know. He stuck to my wheel pretty well, and I could see by his shadow that he was right behind me. I soft peddled a little bit in the back half of the course and regained a little energy. I figured this guy's plan was to take my draft and pass on the sprint, so I made my lead out fairly ineffective, and launched my sprint in the middle of the last corner. It worked. 36/49. Turns out the guy that was behind me I may have lapped. Scoring has me finishing with the field, but they were at least a minute ahead of me.

0 Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

Quote Originally Posted by eboos View Post
    CCNS Kermis Race Report Cat 4/5

I did the advanced crit clinic earlier in the day, so I had plenty of time on this course. Particularly the left hand switchback that will lead into a right hand switchback. I found that I could take that left very fast. Being a new member, I had a pair of Minuteman bibs, but the rest of my kit was on order. Brian Haugli offered up a jersey for me to borrow, so I suited up. With 49 in the field I felt that it was important to stay towards the front, but not do the same mistake that I do over and over again which is lead and wear myself out. My goal was energy conservation and to finish with the pack.

With a large field, it felt like the race went: park, sprint, park, sprint. It was a little frustrating because if you got caught up in the park there was a significant yo-yo effect. I was more important for me to be towards the front so I can avoid the park, take advantage of corner speed and conserve energy by not having to sprint. I surfed through the pack pretty well, but a couple of times I got caught in the park and got shuffled back again. With about 6 laps to go, I got shuffled back for the last time and I lost the field. Here we go again. Another race turned into an individual time trial.

At least now I was free to ride the course the way that I can ride the course. I took the opportunity to sweep through every other dropped rider. They would try to stick to my wheel, but I would gap them in the corners and loose them. This went on for the remainder of the race. In the last lap, I passed someone who I don't know. He stuck to my wheel pretty well, and I could see by his shadow that he was right behind me. I soft peddled a little bit in the back half of the course and regained a little energy. I figured this guy's plan was to take my draft and pass on the sprint, so I made my lead out fairly ineffective, and launched my sprint in the middle of the last corner. It worked. 36/49. Turns out the guy that was behind me I may have lapped. Scoring has me finishing with the field, but they were at least a minute ahead of me.
    The best feedback and suggestion I have is to stay towards the front. Its worth the extra effort to stay there and hold position. Those 180s were significantly smoother in the first 10 wheels than the last 10 wheels.

If you're going to float the rear, you need to practice "tail gunning." Let the gap open up into the corner, take your line through it, and connect back with the pack as soon as they are back up to speed. The goal is to never lose your speed and not need to waste energy to get yourself back up to speed. If the corner is really slow, you can let a SIGNIFICANT gap open up. Think of how hard you hit the brakes into the 180s when you were in the back. The goal would be to not hit your brakes at all. This would mean letting the gap open up 2-300 feet BEFORE the corner. Its risky if you mess up the corner, but if you don't it keeps it all smooth and saves a TON of energy. You also give up any chance of making a breakaway or knowing what is going on in the front. This will also put you dead last in the pelaton as other riders will fill in the gaps.

The other feedback I have is to move up when its easy and float back when its hard. If you are coming from the back and the field slows, don't just ride into the field and breath a sigh of relief. Take that time to go around them, maybe you need to pedal a bit to do so, and then reset yourself in the front. You can be first wheel if you want, then just stop pedaling and let people come around you. You now have all lap to float back and save energy. Or see how long you can maintain position in the top 10 wheels. Rinse and repeat all race.

I love this course, its flat, super fast, and requires constant pedaling. Its smooth, technical, and not technical all at the same time.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 05-21-18 at 09:28 AM.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

And you're riding with Minuteman now? Great group of dudes, hope you enjoy it and can take advantage of the experience of some of their riders.

0 Not allowed!
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

CT Masters Games Race Report 40+ 5K TT, 10K TT, and Cat 5 40K Crit

Thunderstorms in the forecast. The course was fairly wet, but no rain at the moment. The time trials started by age with youngest to oldest. I was on my road bike, and although I have some clipon aerobars, I didn't mount them since I don't have enough time on them to be comfortable. The course was a little bumpy, with some significant bumps going into the last corner which was a downhill sharp left, and on the straight. The course was closed to car traffic, but there was a walking path that was still open and the walkers were supposed to stay to the inside of the yellow line.

5K TT went reasonably well given that it was my first TT. Each lap was faster than the previous lap. I tried to run it at a higher cadence, and it was okay. I was 2/2 in my age group which was not divided by category, and 44 seconds slower.

For the 10K, I tried to use a higher gear. Again each lap was faster than the previous lap, and the times were very consistent. 3/3 in my age group. 1:34 slower than the leader who was also the one who won the 5K. Riding a road bike in a time trial is like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

I didn't bring much food with me, and I asked a lady from Race CF if there was anywhere to grab something nearby. It turns out that she lived right their and offered me a sandwich. Awesome! By now the sun came out, something that it wasn't supposed to do. The embrocation on my legs was pretty intense in the sun and sweat. While waiting for the crit, which seemed like an eternity, I threw on some sunblock and just tried to stay in the shade.

There were eight in the Cat 5 crit. Brian Collins, Tim Perry, and Matt Halfrey I've all raced against before, but there were several others that I don't think I have. The race started a little quicker than I expected. Tim tried to make an early break, but I knew that it wasn't going to hold. Again, my goal was to do as little as possible. I was the biggest surfing, wheel sucking, glass cranker I have ever been in this race. Someone would be out front, I would be on his wheel. Someone else made a move, I was on it.

There were a lot of mini attacks, but the only one that stuck was Brian Collins - probably around the 5th lap or so got out front, and only one guy chased but we absorbed him shortly after. Brian just ran away like he had somewhere to be. The remaining 7 of us just shuffled around with attack after attack then periods of rest and it was clear that nobody was going to let anything get away. I stayed on people's wheels as much as possible, but when I found myself out front, I was soft pedaling as much as possible. Yeah, it may have given everyone else a chance to rest, but more importantly, it gave me a chance to rest.

Traffic on the course was a little funky. Somehow a car got on and was right at the finish line. A group of larger people were all walking side by side and outside the yellow line and facing the opposite way. On the second to last lap we caught the field that started after us and the pace quickened, however the group stayed together and I found myself in the front. I tried to conserve as much as I could while keeping a reasonably quick pace, but I was pretty spent. Going up the hill in just before the last corner, a few guys got ahead of me and I wasn't able to regain my position. 6/8 with a pack finish. Again, not great on paper, but this was a tough race. 22.5 mph average speed on this course seemed pretty good and no one was giving up.

0 Not allowed!

And you're riding with Minuteman now? Great group of dudes, hope you enjoy it and can take advantage of the experience of some of their riders.

I've been riding with them for about a month on the weekly rides. Got plenty of practice on Oak Hill They definitely helped me get my fitness up and push a hard pace. This weekend was the last me as a Cat 5. Going to apply for my upgrade today.

0 Not allowed!

Being a 4 is better. You can double up on race days. A lot of time, the 3/4 races are smoother and easier than the cat 4 race. Just make sure expectations are set going into it.

Coming out to Cyclonauts at Stafford Springs? Surprisingly, a really run race for those of us not racing Killington or Somerville. I do this then head directly to Palmer for the track day thing Sunday/Monday. I love this weekend!

0 Not allowed!
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

Coming out to Cyclonauts at Stafford Springs?
    I'll be there! Looking forward to free BBQ after

Edit: Upgrade to Cat 4 was approved.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by eboos; 05-21-18 at 12:20 PM.

Race report: Cyclonauts Crit 40+ Cat 4/5

Been pushing pretty hard this past week, and I started to notice some pain in my left leg. Didn't think much of it though. The weather couldn't have been better, and the early start was a blessing. Lathered up with some sunblock, and got a few preview laps in before the racing started. As I am waiting to enter the course, on the last lap of the 60+ race there was a bad crash on the back straight. Not the thing you want to see going into a race. The start was delayed about 10 minutes while the ambulance was on the field. They were going to start the race with the ambulance still in the infield and have us keep our eyes open for when it exits, but I am glad they didn't because that would have been a dangerous decision.

I lined up second row, and my strategy again was to not pull, stay out of the wind, and not blow up, yet stay within the first 10 so I don't get stuffed in the corners. This worked pretty well, and for the first 14 laps I stayed towards the front and was able to rest in the back straight. At some point I tried to join a break, but I found out quickly that I didn't have it. Sometime right around lap 15, I got shuffled back due to taking a bad line and getting pinched in a corner. It took another couple of laps and a few matches burned to regain my position. I found that after I set myself up well through the chicane I could easily roll up to my desired position within the pack on the back straight.

The next 15 laps seemed like they took an eternity. I got thrown back and came forward again one more time. With 10 laps to go I tried to keep a steady effort and stay within the front 10. Since the entrance of the chicane is so wide, it was easy to lose your position here and you had to be very assertive of keeping your line. Win some, lose some I guess. The pace quickened with 2 laps to go, but I was still hanging on. I was well positioned, but my match book was pretty empty.

Exiting the chicane on the final lap I didn't have anything in me for an all out sprint, but I was pushing about 600 watts trying to make up some lost ground. There was one target that I had in mind: Tim Perry (raced against him many times and we are pretty evenly matched), who I saw was ahead of me. I just kept my head down and turned those cranks right to the end. Crossing the line we were head to head. I ended up finishing 0.02 seconds ahead of him. 25th overall, and 6 seconds behind the pack leader. There was a two man break that finished 30 seconds ahead. All in all, this was a very strategically driven race. With 57 second lap times, if you get bumped off the back it is nearly impossible to recover. Congrats to Mike Keohane for his very solid finish!

0 Not allowed!

Follow up regarding the mention of leg pain. Rode up Mt. Wachusett from Southbridge on Monday. 76 mile ride with 6023 feet of climbing. My left leg was really hurting. Going to take it easy the next couple days. This is a none racing weekend coming up, but I will be doing a recon ride of Purgatory soon. Next weekend I have Nutmeg Crit and Purgatory.

0 Not allowed!

Got a late start to the season but I posted my longest ride of the season (20.5mi at 16 mph)! Now, to get feeling back in the nether regions.

On the topic of pains and hurts...

Do you guys do anything to make it... easier down there?

Also, anyone experience tennis elbow like pains?

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by isaac_; 05-29-18 at 07:26 PM.
    Isaac LRRS/CCS #871 ECK Racing | Spears Enterprises | GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media
    Bike: SV650, Bride of Frankenstein

Padded shorts. The cream helps on the really long rides. I don't normally bother for short <40 milers.

0 Not allowed!

Today I asked the young one if she wanted to go ride her bike after I got home from work. "No! I'm watching teee veee!"
    Fine then.
    A minute later I had my bike helmet on and was making dumb faces from outside through the window while sitting on my mountain bike.
    "Muuuuuummmmmieeeeeee! I want to go outside and play with Cowin!"

Damn, sometimes I'm good at this.

Kiddo is this close to having the balance bike down. Takes me dropping the seat post all the way down on the road bike and shuffling around the driveway with her. But she's almost there!

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Padded shorts. The cream helps on the really long rides. I don't normally bother for short <40 milers.
    Yea I have some nice bib shorts. The chamois is pretty nice. Maybe I just need to man up until I get more miles.

0 Not allowed!
    Isaac LRRS/CCS #871 ECK Racing | Spears Enterprises | GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

Quote Originally Posted by isaac_ View Post
    Yea I have some nice bib shorts. The chamois is pretty nice. Maybe I just need to man up until I get more miles.
    It could also be a product of your seat being too high, low, at the wrong angle, or fore/aft position.

1 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    It could also be a product of your seat being too high, low, at the wrong angle, or fore/aft position.
    When I bought the bike I got measured and it was set up based on some numbers the computer spit out. So I recognize thatís a good baseline and I donít have to stick to it. Have to customize it.

But I have no clue which way Iíd go with this. And weíre probably talking difference of millimeters.

0 Not allowed!

Are you getting a serious grundling? If you’re being excessively grundled to the point where it’s painful, you seat angle is too high and you need to angle that bad boy down a skosh. No one likes an angry grundle.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by loudbeard; 05-30-18 at 06:13 AM.
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Itís not painful. Itís more like the pebble under the mattress kind of thing. Itís annoying. Especially after 13 or so miles. I have to adjust.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by isaac_; 05-30-18 at 06:11 AM.

Hmm. Have you checked your grundle for pebbles? That’s all I got.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by isaac_ View Post
    I have to adjust.
    So you're saying you sometimes have to move around on the saddle? I think that's normal.
    I find I tend to ride forward. I become aware of it and push back onto my sit bones and the meat of the seat and instantly feel more comfortable. Then a few miles later the cycle repeats.

0 Not allowed!

I now have 4 bicycles plus the kiddo's stuff (a towable and a strider bike). I imagine we'll have a kid-size pedal before long. Garage is getting out of control. I have to do a full re-org. The motos are most of the problem. Ye ol Hardly Ableson takes up quite a bit of floorspace. But the bicycles are getting out of hand as well.

Anyone have any slick garage bicycle storage options they like?

This is a 24x24 2-car with ~10' ceilings. Theoretically tons of space. I have 2 hooks on the center beam that goes through the middle of the garage and used to hang my 2 bikes there, each from their rear wheel. The mtb against the wall and the roadie resting on the handlebars of the mtb. That only works for 2 though.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    So you're saying you sometimes have to move around on the saddle? I think that's normal.
    I find I tend to ride forward. I become aware of it and push back onto my sit bones and the meat of the seat and instantly feel more comfortable. Then a few miles later the cycle repeats.
    Ah. Ok. What I meant was sometimes I need to adjust my junk. Any discomfort is towards the front. It starts to tingle.

0 Not allowed!

It's possible I'm just too Irish. Or maybe Felt just makes one helluva stock seat. (I bought an aftermarket seat and have since switched back to the stock gel seat.)

0 Not allowed!