Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Omaha Steaks, have you tried them?

Omaha Steaks, have you tried them?

I got a gift card for Omaha steaks for my birthday. Was curious if anyone has tried them. I am blessed to have a couple of farms and butchers near me I love their products. Only down fall is limited hours and inventory (problem #2 solved during covid).
    Never ordered fresh produce online before.
    Does anyone have to say about them, or a similar company?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Omaha Steaks, have you tried them?

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    I got a gift card for Omaha steaks for my birthday. Was curious if anyone has tried them. I am blessed to have a couple of farms and butchers near me I love their products. Only down fall is limited hours and inventory (problem #2 solved during covid).
    Never ordered fresh produce online before.
    Does anyone have to say about them, or a similar company?
    I’ve received them as a gift a couple times. Not bad at all, but also not Prime grade beef. The sides are not good, I wouldn’t bother with those.

there's been an old thread on here about them. one of the guys that did the newbury street posing changed his name on here to Omaha steaks too, think. i've always been a fan of their filet wrapped in bacon

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    EX 105 : AMA, ASRA, CCS South East, and WERA
    2014 ASRA SuperStock National Champion - Amateur Division
    Thanks to my sponsors: Motul, Michelin/STS, K&N, Woodcraft, Yoshimura R&D All Balls Racing, Galfer, Sidi Boots, Vortex

Someone in our family gets us a gift box each year for the holidays. Some of their steaks have been good. Not great or outstanding. It's hard to complain when it's free. The rest of the stuff that comes in the mix box like hot dogs and burgers I don't taste any difference between Omaha and the grocery store.

We got a box for Christmas this year. I wasn't impressed.

I think they're okay. Old work used to rotate between Ice Cream/Omaha Steak deliveries every summer as a little gift. I would say they are better than low end grocery, even though they come frozen. Where I have a problem is paying full price for something frozen, however I do understand the benefit of getting it delivered and having it frozen. Waste decreases substantially when you just defrost what you need compared to buying in bulk in grocery store. I'd also argue that you are not tempted to "meal prep" which eventually results in week old meals that become questionable to eat. It's embarrassing the amount of times I've cooked 10 pounds of chicken, attempted eating some at day 8, and eventually just through it out along with the rest of the stuff in the Tupperware.

In comparison. I've had Butcher Box a bunch. They sponsor a cycling team a lot of my friends are on. Whenever they come visit I usually get a box from them. Similar quality to Omaha but seem to be priced better. What I've learned is that you just need to avoid some cuts altogether and cook the others in a particular way. Burgers/dogs/chicken is fine - won't be amazed. The better quality steaks are actually pretty good, pan fry a couple minutes each side, boom - really tender. The cheaper steak cuts are too tough and can't be cooked right. The flank cuts are great if you cook em right and break them down. I was surprised about the quality of the Salmon. I expected it to be inedible. While I was living here alone, it was perfect portion control and tasted good enough. Take one out of the freezer in the morning, bake it for 15 minutes at night. Then they have things like bacon and chicken wings which are fine.

If you want a discount code to try them out I can get you one.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 05-15-20 at 11:02 AM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

My mother gave us some for Xmas in 2000. We got junk mail from them until we moved in 2014.

i've been interested in looking into something like this or butcher box

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Omaha is mostly grain fed, and even their grass fed products might not be grass finished. Yes, there is a difference.

Butcher Box is grass fed/grass finished.

Some people may not give a shit about the differences, but it might enter into the cost comparisons if they do.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

I wouldn't buy the higher end cuts from them. We used a gc to get some filets and strips and they were about the same thing eating wise.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Not good. Pass.

If you have a GC, then get what you can with it, then move on. Send it to a friends house (who you don't like) so you don't spammed forever afterwards.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Dic on

Why would anyone pay premium prices for frozen meat? Nope.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Why would anyone pay premium prices for frozen meat? Nope.
    Frozen beef (done correctly) doesn’t really affect anything. The real problem with Omaha meat is the quality of the beef, it’s just OK and the pricing is absurd. But if you get it as a gift you can’t really complain. Our local butcher gets $21-$22 per lb for Prime grade ribeye and it’s worth it.

I had a 11 oz fillet at Fleming’s last night, $54 and it was just OK. (Also had carpaccio and that was excellent, but $22 for a very few ounces.) So much better cooked at home and not so punishing to the wallet.

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Frozen beef (done correctly) doesn’t really affect anything. The real problem with Omaha meat is the quality of the beef, it’s just OK and the pricing is absurd. But if you get it as a gift you can’t really complain. Our local butcher gets $21-$22 per lb for Prime grade ribeye and it’s worth it.

I had a 11 oz fillet at Fleming’s last night, $54 and it was just OK. (Also had carpaccio and that was excellent, but $22 for a very few ounces.) So much better cooked at home and not so punishing to the wallet.
    Good to know. You just defrost it slowly in the fridge?

I agree on there being not much that is better than a REALLY good ribeye. Stoneman had (has) a butcher down the road from him that hand cut the best ribeyes I have ever had. Cut to order. Fantastic.

"Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

I agree on there being not much that is better than a REALLY good ribeye. Stoneman had (has) a butcher down the road from him that hand cut the best ribeyes I have ever had. Cut to order. Fantastic.
    You can. You can also cook beef frozen. Pan seared, oven finished.

I’ve worshiped the ribeye forever, we use to buy them whole and cut them how we wanted and freeze. Lately I’ve been getting into NY Strip, the flavor is awesome and generally same price as the ribeye. Fuck I’m hungry.

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Costco. 10.99lb. Prime grade boneless ribeye. I buy a whole cut 18lbs? At a time. Soooooooo good

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

My friend was raving about how he gets great deals for great steaks at Omaha steak. So I checked out the website and looking at the website they intentionally make it unclear as to how much it cost per pound. For example: 2 14oz bone in strip steaks for $44 (36% savings) equates to over $25 per pound. That's a pretty shitty price for non-prime meat. For people who cannot do the math just don't know its a shitty deal. I've been getting kosher bone in strip steak prime grade for $14 a pound at the store (which I know I can do better elsewhere).

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/res...nsumables.html

Much cheaper than Omaha or Butcherbox for steaks. All kinds of meat and fish products available. Sold by case. I am gonna try a case of porterhouse steaks. And I don't have to be a member.

FACT: LIBERALS ABHOR CENSORSHIP. LEFTISTS WELCOME SILENCING THEIR OPPONENTS

My mother gave me Omaha Steaks for Christmas one year.

Got junk mail from them for the next ten years, even after a move.

We buy them at Costco or a local butcher shop.

“When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

Timely thread bump, since we got a package from them as a gift. I've had steaks from them once before too as a gift.

Overall, the steaks are no better than your local grocery... not nearly as good as locally butchered beef.

I will say though, that their jumbo hot dogs are very good.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

If you guys can swing it.....
    I highly suggest Flannery beef and or Morgan Ranch for meat. Dry aged/ vacuum packed etc...
    all sorts of cuts, have custom ground beef blends. I have a 30% fat from dry aged fat ground beef blend waiting for me in the frig tonight.

I picked up a good menangerie of cuts a month ago on "special"

Makes the capital grill/ Eddie Vs/ high end steak house etc steaks seem just ok.

My friends dad in Burnwell Nebraska leases his land to Morgan Ranch's herd through out the year.

Granted its higher than Costco but for the price its a great splurge and not to bash Omaha ... but it crushes Omaha

Granted I'd love to get soem local farm raised beed round here as well I remember a member Highsider? used to do that...

Last edited by black; 02-18-21 at 08:54 AM.
    hmmmm......

So down here in Miami we have a wild fork foods close to us which is all vacuum sealed and frozen meats. We tried them for the first time recently and they shit all over Omaha steaks lol. Prices are clear, you see the price per pound and the price total for whatever you want to order. We'll definitely be going back. Much cheaper than Publix for better beef.

Edit - point of this post was that they ship. You can order this stuff in NE if you want.

That place is a shell of what it once was. The bright side is where the meat shop was is now a beer & wine bar! BUT...there's an incredible butcher just down the road from there now that makes those old cuts seem like a pea shooter.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    That place is a shell of what it once was. The bright side is where the meat shop was is now a beer & wine bar! BUT...there's an incredible butcher just down the road from there now that makes those old cuts seem like a pea shooter.
    so curious... what makes the cut "better" or makes them an "old cut"
    growing up we used to get argentinean style short ribs from Venezia butchers in Conshohocken, Pa Like the franken style ? short ribs today but it had more of the rib eye attached vs the think short ribs of today. cant get them anymore it seems

hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    so curious... what makes the cut "better" or makes them an "old cut"
    growing up we used to get argentinean style short ribs from Venezia butchers in Conshohocken, Pa Like the franken style ? short ribs today but it had more of the rib eye attached vs the think short ribs of today. cant get them anymore it seems
    When I said "old cuts", I was referring to Degsy's comment. As in, that place is so old they don't even do it anymore.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast