Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Anyone here own an EV car?

Anyone here own an EV car?

Wife needs a new car as her 18 Rav4 lease is up in about 2 months.

I drive a 17 VW GLI 6 speed, that we financed. The current debate is to give her my car (kinda sucks as a family car as we have a 2.5 year old) Shes hell bent on suvs and I'd rather slam my dick in a door than buy another one.

Option one is to buy my buddies 09 Jaguar XF V8 RWD with about 95K on it for an absurdly good price. hes owned it since 2013 and its been fairly good for him, Pros: i buy it outright and no payments. Cons: it blows up tomorrow and costs me a small fortune to repair

Option 2 I want to lease a truck as im back at a dealer, and have a 3 mile commute. So my gas isnt an issue.

Option 3, Chevy is GIVING away Bolts, (we owned a Volt 3 years ago and absolutely loved the car, but it was a 1st gen and fucking tiny inside.
    I'd spring for the own with the fast charge plug

The new one goes about 240ish miles, and my wife has several level 2 chargers at work. (about 45 miles a day) and she could totally charge there and be okay. problem is at my house we are on 110V and that wouldn't do shit for charging this thing.
    Pros: save 100-150/month on a payment,
    spend a few bucks a month if i have to fast charge it on the road.
    new car warranty and have to do nothing for the next three years but put snow tires on it.
    Ive driven them when they came out, and its entertaing to drive.

Cons: it looks like a honda fits uncool cousin
    At least I dont have to look at it while driving

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Anyone here own an EV car?

A Bolt is extremely tempting to me right now.

110 will charge that thin over night. Why bother though. She can charge it at work (for free?) and still easily get a few round trips. If you had the Bolt couldn't you do the same at work?

I no longer care about looks but more about reliability and cost. At least when it comes to appliance vehicles. Toys are a different matter.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    Option 3, Chevy is GIVING away Bolts, (we owned a Volt 3 years ago and absolutely loved the car, but it was a 1st gen and fucking tiny inside.
    I'd spring for the own with the fast charge plug
    How cheap are they? I looked at chevy.com and it's all MSRP there...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

I drove a bolt as a promo and I honestly loved it. Was a tire roaster in sport, and I loved the mode where you dont need brakes, you just lift and it regenerates.

Last edited by xrocket21; 10-20-20 at 10:11 AM.

Everybody to the limit!

We bought a Honda clarity last august. It's a plugin hybrid that gets 40-60 miles on electric only which is plenty to get my wife back and forth to her job each day. She gets free charging at work so we basically never need to fill up with gas. I installed an EV charger here a few weeks ago, takes about 4 hours to charge to max range. Previously I had just run a heavy duty extension cord out to charge it periodically, but that takes about 12 hours to get to full.

I can't say enough good things about it, it's basically a honda accord on the inside so it fits our family of four just fine. It's no tesla but the instant torque provides plenty of pickup. And the gas tank is nice for long trips, my wife has taken it up to vt a few times for work and it's nice not having to worry about range. With all the incentives and sales honda was running on it (it's not a great seller) it ended up costing us just around 20k out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    How cheap are they? I looked at chevy.com and it's all MSRP there...
    I'm seeing $11,500 off premiers through a discount program. I suspect others should be able to get similar.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    I drove a bolt as a promo and I honestly loved it. Was a tire roaster in first, and I loved the mode where you dont need brakes, you just lift and it regenerates.

Regen is sweet. 100k brake pad intervals on the hybrids. Full EV is even better I imagine. Now about those seized pins because the brakes barely ever get used....

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Regen is sweet. 100k brake pad intervals on the hybrids. Full EV is even better I imagine. Now about those seized pins because the brakes barely ever get used....
    That mode should be default. I feel like "normal mode" is just for people who dont want to change.

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    That mode should be default. I feel like "normal mode" is just for people who dont want to change.
    I don't know about the Bolt, but on my car, the transition from regen to hydraulic brakes is far from smooth sometimes and the pedal can do some weird things. If you don't understand how, when or exactly what happens when the transition happens it can freak the sheeple out and now they think there is a problem with the car.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

EVs are very popular at my old office. I work for a company that builds electric infrastructure stuff. We make charing stations and have a shit-ton of them in the lot partly as an employee perk and partly as a tech showcase. Employees charge for free.

Bolts are hugely popular. The Volt was before that, but everyone seems to be going for the full EV now. Lots of early adopters, especially in the senior management. Leaf is up there too. Teslas are comparatively rare but started showing up.

Nobody seems to have any real problems with them. Like. At all.
    One cat on my team threw close to 150k at a Leaf and only did tires. I think he paid for a charge once or twice. He replaced that with a new Bolt.
    My boss dumped his cute-ute for a Bolt and insists he cut costs vs keeping the old ute alive. We are the kind of people that spreadsheet everything. I've seen his numbers and they check out. It's not hard to save $ going EV.

I was right there ready to go EV. I was alternating between trying to find a used high capacity Leaf or signing for a new Bolt.. or full phuckit mode and go Tesla model 3 dual motor. Nearly had myself sold on it. Glad I didn't as I am now full remote with no signs of going back, possibly ever. We are on the brink of being a 1 car family. And the mini-van is the right choice for us for now on that front.

I would buy just about any of the mainstream EVs in a heartbeat. All seem fine as commuters. Tesla being the flashiest, fastest, etc. Bolt being a perfectly adequate commuter box.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    It's not hard to save $ going EV.
    My caveat with this is that the savings is pretty dependent on what you're coming out of as well. An older gas guzzler that is a maintenance pig vs anew efficient car.

My fuel cost is just under 4 cpm right now and my direct operating costs are around 8 cpm. I can't charge for free and would have to pay 1-2 times a day to charge. Even if I just round tripped the car on a commute I might have soon that's still a charge a day, so what, a few hundred a month in electricity. I most likely can get another 150K out of my current car, which is completely paid off with a brake job and suspension refresh somewhere down the line. Going full EV for me has the potential for saving some maintenance headaches that might materialize but I'd be trading that for payments on something as well.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

I was right there ready to go EV. I was alternating between trying to find a used high capacity Leaf or signing for a new Bolt.. or full phuckit mode and go Tesla model 3 dual motor. Nearly had myself sold on it. Glad I didn't as I am now full remote with no signs of going back, possibly ever. We are on the brink of being a 1 car family. And the mini-van is the right choice for us for now on that front.
    Pre-COVID I would have agreed with you.. my commute is ~10m and my wife's is ~25m each way. Neither of us are probably ever going back to work 9-5 five days a week... we could get away with one car now.

My caveat with this is that the savings is pretty dependent on what you're coming out of as well. An older gas guzzler that is a maintenance pig vs anew efficient car.
    That's what I'm saying. If your ride is in perfect shape and needs nothing it is a harder sale. Change the scenario to where you need a set of tires, a brake job and maybe something major-ish like an alternator and battery or timing-belt and water pump and the math can change. Especially for those that don't DIY (most of the population). Another compounding factor is mileage of the current ride. My boss had a low 20's cute-ute and his situation was pretty black and white. Mine is a 35MPG sipper and a much harder sell.

He and I also charge for free (or used to). I imagine that may flip-flop this for some. Maybe not.

Pre-COVID I would have agreed with you.. my commute is ~10m and my wife's is ~25m each way. Neither of us are probably ever going back to work 9-5 five days a week... we could get away with one car now.
    Samesies.

Right now I'm having trouble keeping the starter battery in my commuter alive through the week + sits it takes going nowhere at all. I am now probably looking at 12 month oil changes where I used to blast through 3-4/yr based on mileage. And I suddenly care so little about mileage I could drive a dump-truck and be fine with it. Strange new world.

You get GM discounts now?
    If you can convince your other half, maybe check out a left over TourX. We bought one March 2019, and have 32k miles on it now. Love it.
    They have been way marked down, even without other discounts (like 25% off MSRP), cause GM didn't give a damn about selling them.
    Discontinued after 3 years, but there's enough parts and support to get stuff through Europe if really needed.

I also didn't want an suv, and thankfully Katie was on board with the wagon idea.
    I didn't want to spend for an Allroad, and she wasn't quite in love with the Sportwagen or Subarus, although I did want to get a stick.

Gets over 30 on the highway (great long distance rig), high 20s around town, and has ton's of back seat and trunk space.

Just another un-solicited idea...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I literally had no idea that car existed.

The European version is even better.

Yeah, cause Buick didn't do anything to sell it. I don't think I ever saw one commercial for it, while they are busy pushing the Encore/Enclave/etc.
    As alluded to, it's a re-badged Opel with GM turbo 2.0l stuffed in it. Once the contract ran up between GM/Opel (2018 to 2020), it got the axe.

The European version is even better.
    I think we've gone down this same discussion before on here.... haha.
    But yes, the Opel Sports Tourer is mucho better looking. Could do without the plastic cladding and extra 1.02" of ride height of the TourX, but that's the only option they brought here and I still think it's a sexy car every time I look at ours.

i really like that...maybe i will get a new car and let my wife get the suv when her car dies
    https://www.carmax.com/car/19411128

Last edited by Point37; 10-20-20 at 12:52 PM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MHenry600 View Post
    I think we've gone down this same discussion before on here.... haha.
    But yes, the Opel Sports Tourer is mucho better looking. Could do without the plastic cladding and extra 1.02" of ride height of the TourX, but that's the only option they brought here and I still think it's a sexy car every time I look at ours.
    Now that you say that I think you're right..!

Everybody to the limit!

You guys sure are getting all hot and bothered over the less reliable version of a subaru outback.

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by Honclfibr View Post
    You guys sure are getting all hot and bothered over the less reliable version of a subaru outback.
    Oh, go put your hat on, smartass.

"Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

Everybody to the limit!

It's a Buick. Station. Wagon. I know we are all getting old but this is downright geriatric!

...And yes, our other car is a subaru outback. And it's not even the V6

Last edited by Honclfibr; 10-20-20 at 01:45 PM.

My fuel cost is just under 4 cpm right now and my direct operating costs are around 8 cpm. I can't charge for free and would have to pay 1-2 times a day to charge. Even if I just round tripped the car on a commute I might have soon that's still a charge a day, so what, a few hundred a month in electricity. I most likely can get another 150K out of my current car, which is completely paid off with a brake job and suspension refresh somewhere down the line. Going full EV for me has the potential for saving some maintenance headaches that might materialize but I'd be trading that for payments on something as well.
    I found my old fuelly data for the volt and that car was $0.035 per mile over the course of a 3 year 45K mile lease
    compared to her current rav4 awd at $0.115

we really wanted the rav4 prime, as its my old volt on steroids'. but toyota can suck my dick with the quote i got of 680/month for a prime with cloth seats

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    i really like that...maybe i will get a new car and let my wife get the suv when her car dies
    https://www.carmax.com/car/19411128
    we are the same guy!
    I want one BADLY, but i want it in red and the loaded trim. for a car that no one bought or wants they still want all the money for those. there is a base trim at a local dealer here but their price is nuts. and id rather take a drive to the midwest and buy a slightly used one.

Quote Originally Posted by MHenry600 View Post
    buy a tourx
    hey buddy!!! how the hell ya been.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast