Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Anyone here own an EV car?

Re: Anyone here own an EV car?

Hey jhawley, why don’t you show us some ads for those in-the gutter resale value Tesla’s.

You’re career is working for the major manufacturer dealerships, right? So I’m sure you have their side track on cheap Tesla’s being traded in for -insert whatever brand dealership you work for now here-.

I mean, people must be dumping them cheap to get into better cars.... so show us the listings. At your dealer. Or at auction.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 10-21-20 at 10:00 PM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Hey jhawley, why don’t you show us some ads for those in-the gutter resale value Tesla’s.

You’re career is working for the major manufacturer dealerships, right? So I’m sure you have their side track on cheap Tesla’s being traded in for -insert whatever brand dealership you work for now here-.

I mean, people must be dumping them cheap to get into better cars.... so show us the listings. At your dealer. Or at auction.
    Im at a mazda and chevy store so we are getting any expenisve trade ins here

Have you actually been in one or spent some time with it? The fit and finish of the cars and and interior materials is absolute garbage. You can justifiy that you paying for the tech, but if nissan sold an altima (or insert any other main stream sedan) heads would fucking roll.

Are they cool, yeah i think so, The model s was stunning to look at, the others ones are kinda ugly. but to each his own.
    That whole huge touch screen is a horrible idea, it buttons you have musscle memory and can change you heat without taking our eyes of the road. not so with that fucking screen. And we here collectivetly bitch about tech in cars, wtf do you think happens when the model 3/y screen shits the bed and you get the blue screen, cant do shit. at least if my nav shits the bed i can still drive the car and turn the heat on.

back on the screens, https://www.thedrive.com/tech/27989/...-grade-matters

There is the whole tesla and service and dealing with recalls, this is some shady shit,
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...-nda/85726810/

Im not even getting started on how elon musk is a fucking troll charlatan, almost as bad as the chetto with the twitter bullshit and fucking lies
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...l-coming-2020/
    its 2020 where the fuck is my Johnny Cab Elon?

and the post i had yesterday about tesla yanking features back from the 2 owner of the car. i mean fuck me right.

But i will digress, did we need a Tesla to come in and make evs mainstream, absolutely. But now that more companies are building evs, Tesla needs to get their shit together, i mean look at the porsche taycan, It mops the floor with the tesla. Volvos new subbrand Polestar is making some cool products. I mean we were joking about the hummer ev yesterday, but lets be real, that think makes the cyber truck look like a stupid joke twitter joke that it is.

Last edited by jhawley; 10-22-20 at 07:19 AM.

Tesla right now isn't selling and reselling based on actual value, it's a luxury/show off thing at the moment with higher demand than there is product artificially inflating both new and used prices. They aren't a good indicator of how other EVs will depreciate. I also expect as the other brands get their kit online Tesla depreciation will start ramping outside of a reducing niche of people buying as collectors rather than drivers. Tesla continuing to have shit quality control and in many cases straight up bad design reducing their useful lifespan isn't going to help either.

Edit: We're also in the transition phase for cars in general, we're discussing resale like it'll matter down the road. All the big brands are reworking themselves to where the market is going, no one buying vehicles, instead at most leasing but the expected model is on demand as required rental based on fleets of self driving cars. The newest driving generation is not buying cars at anywhere NEAR the rate prior ones have, and generally don't WANT to drive.

Last edited by Kurlon; 10-22-20 at 07:35 AM.
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    That whole huge touch screen is a horrible idea, it buttons you have musscle memory and can change you heat without taking our eyes of the road. not so with that fucking screen. And we here collectivetly bitch about tech in cars, wtf do you think happens when the model 3/y screen shits the bed and you get the blue screen, cant do shit. at least if my nav shits the bed i can still drive the car and turn the heat on.
    totally agree on this...i actually hate all touch screens in cars...i want buttons...buttons have bumps on them so you can tell where your fingers are like a keyboard so you aren't distracted while driving trying to touch the right spot on a screen...i can't tell you how many times i have to hit the screen at the bank atm to get it to work...buttons are better!...i like less electronics in my cars cause my view is that is more crap that can break...there are certain electronic options that i will opt for and many that i won't (like navigation)...i want an electric vehicle but the infrastructure isn't there to fully support them (fast charging stations, battery swap stations, dealers/mechanics that can work on them, etc.)...there also isn't really enough company competition yet to drop prices...i will be waiting a long time i think before i get into an EV

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Friends don't let friends buy Subarus.
    Oh, what brand of pickup do you own?

You are doing a poor job of it! Subaru went from from a tiny niche manufacturer to currently the number 7 brand in the US market, and four of the brands ahead of it have pickups.

• Our 1997 Outback was traded in with 245,000 miles. It was driven to 289,000.
    • Our 2006 Outback 3.0R has 248,000 miles. Currently in Colorado.
    • Just sold a 2009 WRX with 93,000 miles.
    • Just bought a 2005 3.0R with 103,000 miles.

“The only thing cheap about a Subaru is the owner.” That’s why they sell so many 4 cylinder Outbacks. It’s been a penalty box since introduction.

If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

Friends don't let friends buy Subarus.
    Too late!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

02 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon. great car till I imploded 2nd gear. (this was also 14 years ago)

The older (Pre 09) WRX wagons seem to be some of the more functional yet appealing to all walks of life.

It’s a shame so many 16-22yr olds ruined them over the years and it’s harder to find a clean one then a pair of hen’s teeth

LRRS AM #782
    2004 SV650 (Race/Track)
    2005 SV650N (Street)

I ride in a Model 3 on a weekly basis. Dual motor performance.

It’s gorgeous inside, and fit/finish is great. Maybe the old ones were rough, but man are they nice inside now.

The ride quality, handling, and most of all brutal effortless acceleration has me ruined for any other car I get into.

Have you spent any real time in a modern one?

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    my current car is a 2013 2.5 subaru legacy with oil consumption issues where i have to put 5 quarts of oil in over 7500 mile oil change intervals (1 quart each time the low oil light comes on)...which is why i started a thread to shop for a new car...fuck subaru...won't buy another and won't recommend one to anyone
    Subaru had a class action/recall on their 2.5 engine (your model year legacy 2.5 is specifically cited) where they will replace the engine for free if it has high oil consumption. You should look into it, a friend of mine had their engine replaced under warranty. They just went to the dealership and had it taken care of. If you have over 100k miles on the car you may be SOL though..

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...ction-lawsuit/
    https://jalopnik.com/subaru-settles-...ars-1752805682
    http://www.oilconsumption.settlement...%20(FINAL).pdf

YouTube: The Motorcycle Room 2014 MV Agusta Rivale - 2007 CBR600RR (race) - 1999 SV650S (race) - 2011 TM Racing EN 250

Quote Originally Posted by tucktuvak View Post
    Subaru had a class action/recall on their 2.5 engine (your model year legacy 2.5 is specifically cited) where they will replace the engine for free if it has high oil consumption. You should look into it, a friend of mine had their engine replaced under warranty. They just went to the dealership and had it taken care of. If you have over 100k miles on the car you may be SOL though..

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...ction-lawsuit/
    https://jalopnik.com/subaru-settles-...ars-1752805682
    http://www.oilconsumption.settlement...%20(FINAL).pdf
    thanks...i was aware...i was over 100k miles when this happened...i think i'm at 178k miles now but this issue has gradually gotten worse...which is why i'm done with subaru

Last edited by Point37; 10-22-20 at 02:12 PM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

I ride in a Model 3 on a weekly basis. Dual motor performance.

It’s gorgeous inside, and fit/finish is great. Maybe the old ones were rough, but man are they nice inside now.

The ride quality, handling, and most of all brutal effortless acceleration has me ruined for any other car I get into.

Have you spent any real time in a modern one?
    And how many trips to the shop after purchase did it take to get there? I've not spent time in one myself, but I do follow them with interest and it looks like they're still flubbing things. Stuff that should be simple, like the rear seats in the new Model Y not lining up with each other, and Tesla says they don't have a fix yet. They still can't get consistent panel gaps to save their life, water intrusion into places it should never be is still an issue, etc. Tesla can't claim newcomer status any more, it's time to fix whatever is allowing this stuff to happen, at the design or production or final QA level. Then, there's the fun with parts availability if you do need repairs, particularly bodywork, after you find a Tesla approved shop in the first place.

And I'm saying this as someone that bought a JEEP. I'm clearly not setting a high bar.

771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC

I drove a subaru for a few years....

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    I drove a subaru for a few years....

I know this is unfair given mods...

But what was the seat time to wrench time ratio?

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Zero mods here and mine went 18years and 340,000 miles without a whole lot of wrench time. There was one small episode with the timing belt coming off and junking a set of heads at around 140,000 but other than that and some rust issues that car was reliable as all hell

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Zero mods here and mine went 18years and 340,000 miles without a whole lot of wrench time. There was one small episode with the timing belt coming off and junking a set of heads at around 140,000 but other than that and some rust issues that car was reliable as all hell
    My beef is with head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, timing belts, water pumps, burning oil, etc. And making engine work a pain in the ass when (not if) it has to be done.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    And how many trips to the shop after purchase did it take to get there? I've not spent time in one myself, but I do follow them with interest and it looks like they're still flubbing things. Stuff that should be simple, like the rear seats in the new Model Y not lining up with each other, and Tesla says they don't have a fix yet. They still can't get consistent panel gaps to save their life, water intrusion into places it should never be is still an issue, etc. Tesla can't claim newcomer status any more, it's time to fix whatever is allowing this stuff to happen, at the design or production or final QA level. Then, there's the fun with parts availability if you do need repairs, particularly bodywork, after you find a Tesla approved shop in the first place.

And I'm saying this as someone that bought a JEEP. I'm clearly not setting a high bar.

So far, zero.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

I bought it brand new in February 2005.
    Started modding it in March 2005
    First intake and catless exhaust with a canned tune.
    Second methanol injection and a custom tune. (sometimes wish I would have stopped here)
    Third was a rotated GT30 turbo kit, FMIC, injectors, fuel pump, TGV deletes, headers.

At this point the stock motor blew at like 40,000 miles I think, when I did the install, I didn't swap ports on the three port electronic boost solenoid when going to external waste gate and the boost spiked on the dyno. $10,000 whoopsie.

Did a clutch at this time. Went with a puck style clutch.

Puck clutch seized racing in upstate NH at 60k miles, drove 3 hours home clutchless, starting it in gear.

Put in a second clutch.

Swapped out brake pads for racing and street.

At 75k ish the rebuilt motor started burning oil. Rebuilt the motor AGAIN at a LARGE cost. Narrowly avoided getting ripped off as I almost sent the motor back to the original builder and he ended up going out of business and fleeing the country.

Did brake pads and rotors at 100k miles.

Sold it after about a decade and 125,000 miles

Estimating:
    -2 loudon track days
    -100 1/4 mile passes
    -20 1/8 mile passes
    -100 autocross runs
    -a hill climb
    -commuted as a daily driver

-just did spark plugs and oil changes, replaced the shocks with better ones, 2 motors, one my fault, the second the builders fault, one bad MAF sensor that a shop screwed up, 2 clutches, like 8 sets of tires.

Also it was hit THREE SEPARATE TIMES while parked.

450 all wheel horespower, 460 ft/lbs at the wheels. 11.6@121 was the best quarter with a 1.6x 60' on street tires.

overall it was pretty reliable and treated me pretty well for 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post

i love my Model 3 Performance. its been to Tesla Milford twice. Once to update the firmware on the chademo adapter i bought, and the 2nd time was the Mobile Charger failed (wire in the middle of the cable frayed). ive had no issues with the car itself.

what i really love about the car other then the comfort and how fun it is to drive. is the constant updates i get with it. my tundra, sierra 2500, escapes, ram 5500. all the same as they rolled out of the showroom floor.

David King | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

For my birthday, the wife got me an overnight test drive of a Model X.

Holy shit. I’ve been joyriding for the past two hours.

These things are amazing. Just drive one.

Anyone here own an EV car?-faa9a480-1ae7-43a5-9807-16aaff3cdc18

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Thats the SUV right?

That might replace the Explorer Sport...

I've gone head over hills on the tourx wagon front. As much as the cheapness of the bolt would be nice, i sure as shit dont want to drive it. And I'm currently telling myself that we do not want our 2nd car to be smaller than my jetta (which for being a "small car" is pretty reasonably practical)

Matt, what do you have for options in yours, I want an essence (for the leather with a kid and dog) and the sunroof and driver confidence 1 & 2. problem is there are like 2 in the area, both of which are in mass. so i may be road tripping there this week on my day off.

https://www.blasiusboston.com/vehicl...ma-id-38891368

- - - Updated - - -

performance one?

Last edited by jhawley; 10-26-20 at 08:00 AM.

That's pretty cool. Didn't realize you could do something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    I've gone head over hills on the tourx wagon front. As much as the cheapness of the bolt would be nice, i sure as shit dont want to drive it. And I'm currently telling myself that we do not want our 2nd car to be smaller than my jetta (which for being a "small car" is pretty reasonably practical)

Matt, what do you have for options in yours, I want an essence (for the leather with a kid and dog) and the sunroof and driver confidence 1 & 2. problem is there are like 2 in the area, both of which are in mass. so i may be road tripping there this week on my day off.
    We've got an Essence, for the same reason (didn't want cloth). Only option in ours is the sunroof, which is nice and huge. I wasn't against getting one with the driver packages, but didn't really prefer it either. I'd rather not have the car telling me how to drive.
    The only thing we were pretty hung up on was that we wanted the dark grey. There was one up here in NH, which had the driver options in it but didn't have a sunroof (they had some preferred models too). We couldn't get them to move on the price as much as we thought they should, and walked away. It was gone a week or two later. So we actually got ours out of RI. Dealer sucked, but got to a price we were happy with and was a done deal.

If you do go further down that road, the only thing I'd say to watch for is the lower control arm bushings depending on the year. There was a TSB issued for the 2018s because they used bad bushings and make some noise only when cold. It did it only once or twice when we bought the car in March, then had to wait for it to be cold enough during the winter to show the dealer (up here in NH) what was happening. Didn't make any noise all summer, so wasn't really an issue. They didn't question, or debate it at all, so it was straight forward. They are fairly quick and easy for the dealer to replace (took maybe two hours).
    https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...55102-9999.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Thats the SUV right?

That might replace the Explorer Sport...
    Yes, the larger one. Model X dual motor long range.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

The new Lucid looks like it will be a good contender. Base model is around $75k with 450hp and there is a version with 1050hp, for a lot more.

I'm pretty interested in the new Hummer truck.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast