Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Anyone know how to paint a car?

Lifer

Anyone know how to paint a car?

The Jeep isnít selling, Iím thinking primarily because of the clearcoat damage on the hood and fenders.

Iím curious what options there are, aside from just going to a paint shop and getting the whole schebang.

Iím contemplating sanding down and repainting the fenders and good, but even if I were able to do a presentable job, it probably wonít match the rest of the 15yo body.

However, even if I keep it which is highly probable that I wonít have a choice, I would like it to look better anyway.

Does anyone know what grit sandpaper to use? I think you have to do it in stages, like start with 200-230, but finish with 400-500?

Iím even wondering if I can save on the labor of the whole project, like do the sanding myself, maybe the priming, then have a paint shop spray a couple basecoats and a few clearcoats.

Do you have to sand the entire car down to bare metal to prime? Or do you just have to get through the clearcoat or something else?

Any advice is appreciated, because while I am super committed to doing something about the appearance, Iím aware if I try to do too much by myself it could turn into an epic shit show.

0 Not allowed!

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

Re: Anyone know how to paint a car?

if you're looking to just re-clear coat, i wouldn't be using 200-400 grit sandpaper.

I would hit it with 1000-2000 grit wet sand paper and skim off the clear coat and then re-clear coat it.

200-400 grit is what you would use if you're gonna remove the paint totally first.

In between the coats of clear you wet sand again with your lowest grit (2000) and then add another layer till you're satisfied.

then you buff that shit with some compound and a mechanical buffer to blend in the edges where the new paint ends and the old begins.

1 Not allowed!

Search the interwebs for Kevin Tetz videos.

1 Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

If the vehicle isn't worth that much, I'd hit it with a one part top coat system. It will look good, hold up well, and take half the time (or less).

If the paint is bad currently, sand it down with a good D/A. Start with 200 and then go to 400. You don't have to go to metal but in areas that are really bad you might have to or end up doing that. And that's ok. Once you have the paint smoothed out, hit it with a build up primer. Sand that down and then repeat until you have a good base to go with. Do any body filler necessary and prime over of that. Sand the final coat with 600 or so. Add your top coat(s). If needed, wet sand the top coat with like a 1500 to flatten and then 2500 if you really want good shine. Then polish with a swirl remover and then a final cut. If you're good with a rotary that will go much faster than a D/A.
    If you want to go with clear, do your base after the primer sanding and sand it down with a 2000 paper or so to smooth it out, avoid swirl marks. Spray it with the clear, two decent coats ought to do it for what you want. Again, wet sand and polish.

1 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

I have an HVLP gun you can borrow

1 Not allowed!

Do you have a garage to do or at least park the car in?

Go to the dump and Borrow and old refrigerator << practice on it<< you have to learn to spray until you get a wet snow look which will
    turn into a gloss in a few minutes WITHOUT SAGGING.

Even rattle can expect to be paying over $100 in rattle cans to do a car primer plus paint plus clearcoat. I use a marine Polyurethan top coat because
    it seems gas resistant which like pure 1 is not.

Or time it and prep and prime then give it to maaco for the final coat https://www.maaco.com/

1 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

There is usually only one reason why something isn't selling. I can assure you in this case it isn't peeling clear coat.

1 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    There is usually only one reason why something isn't selling. I can assure you in this case it isn't peeling clear coat.
    Well that’s one way to take this thread

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Well that’s one way to take this thread
    When it comes to this Jeep, you're in need of a course correction. Remember when you PM'd me asking if you should buy it? Remember what I told you and why? List it for the $4k its worth and it will be gone in a week to someone who knows what they're doing. Also, please put "resident askhole" back in your sig, you haven't outgrown it.

2 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Not to be critical or rude but I feel like if you have to ask this you probably shouldn't do it.

You're likely to make things worse and just end up with a poorly painted car that will be worth less then it already is.

It's going to look like a hack job and everyones going to assume you're covering up worse problems than just a bad clear coat.

You're probably better off adjusting your expectations of what the value actually is and adjusting your asking price accordingly.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by motoarch View Post
    Not to be critical or rude but I feel like if you have to ask this you probably shouldn't do it.

You're likely to make things worse and just end up with a poorly painted car that will be worth less then it already is.

It's going to look like a hack job and everyones going to assume you're covering up worse problems than just a bad clear coat.

You're probably better off adjusting your expectations of what the value actually is and adjusting your asking price accordingly.
    I disagree COMPLETELY, like on a "how one should live their life" sort of way.

Life's a garden man, dig it. Ya gotta keep on keepin on.

Theres so many opportunities out there and life experiences to be had, it feels good to learn/try new things.

Car needs painting? learn to do it.

Something fiberglass broke? Guess its time to learn fiberglass.

kid wants braids in her hair? time to learn how to do braids.

etc.

SOMEONE out there can do it, why not you?

1 Not allowed!

Because of your wrong he's lost time, money and has a car worth less than he started with.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for do it yourself but not everyone can.

0 Not allowed!

I’m big on developing DIY skills, but I try to learn how on low risk projects.

Pick up a fender at a junk yard and learn to sand, fill, prep, primer, paint, clear coat and polish on that before attempting it on something where your learning curve could cost you money.

0 Not allowed!

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    I disagree COMPLETELY, like on a "how one should live their life" sort of way.

Life's a garden man, dig it. Ya gotta keep on keepin on.

Theres so many opportunities out there and life experiences to be had, it feels good to learn/try new things.

Car needs painting? learn to do it.

Something fiberglass broke? Guess its time to learn fiberglass.

kid wants braids in her hair? time to learn how to do braids.

etc.

SOMEONE out there can do it, why not you?

This. So much this. OP already stated if he can't get what he wants as in (which seems to be the case) he will paint it as best he can and drive it himself. I say go for it, learn something new and have fun doing it! It's a jeep, they are not known for being cosmetically perfect. If you don't like the result you can decide if you dislike it enough to sand and try again. You'll get it eventually.

The jeep won't sell at the desired price as is. I see zero reason not to play with it at will until it either 1) sells or 2) becomes something the OP wants to keep.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by "Dangerous" Dan K; 09-06-19 at 10:05 PM.

Or prep and spray with a $100 wagner hvlp sprayer . Did my garage and front door area it was perfect,

recommend gloss house latex available anywhere

0 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die