Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Painting advice

Painting advice

This will be fairly long, and will probably not interest you if you dont plan on having your house painted, so feel free to skip it.

Ok, I know this has nothing to do with anything, but for how much help and advice Ive gotten from this board, and how little I usually can contribute back, I figure this is a good time to try and help out, especially with the amount of people I see buying new houses and condos and stuff. Little background, I wont use names of anything since this isnt any sort of agenda. I work in a family paint store, we just sell it. My mother started it 32 years ago, my dad joined around 20 years ago and I've been her full time for 5. We tend to know our stuff.

The best piece of advice I can give anyone. BEWARE OF PAINTING CONTRACTORS. There are a number of good ones, there are MORE than enough crap ones. Theres no licensing required, theres no tests to show. We had one guy laid off from his banking job, the next day he got a sign for his truck and suddenly he's a professional. I hear it all day every day, well my painters a professional, he knows what hes talking about. I cant argue with them, but most painters dont know all the technical details of the paint. There is one painting contractor in our area who is an absolute joke. He manages to get houses scraped primed and painted in about 2 days, which is not possible following paint manufacturers specifications. I've seen him paint in the rain with a tarp draped over where they were working. On tuesday I saw him at 9AM painting in 35 degree weather, the day after it rained, with ice still on the ground in puddles. He uses about the cheapest paint around. I have been told by a number of people that he is not even a whole lot cheaper than people we know are excellent painters. Today, a customer bought the paint here. The paint manufacturar says the paint can not be applied under 50 degrees, and should remain above 50 for a number of hours after. The temperature high today is 45. This contractor is out painting, but the customer says it is ok because the painter says its fine. Obviously the manufacturar has no idea what they're selling. This house will most likely fail prematurely, and he will have to pay MORE to have it scraped sanded and redone.
    Ok, enough of my lecturing, the best advice I can give.

1. Do not pick a painter out of the phone book. Find a reputable store, and ask their advice. Most good ones will have names they can give out who they would recommend.
    2. Buy the paint yourself. I often hear of less reputable painters saying they'll use some paint, use one of a lesser quality, and still charge for the good stuff.
    3. Dont use what the painter tells you. Ask a REPUTABLE store what their advice would be. They know the specifications of what the paint manufacturers say. Use that paint. If a contractor will not use that paint, find someone else. They might want the cheap easy way out, and it might not be the right way.
    4. Buy the best quality paint you can afford. It does make a difference, trust me.
    5. In general, in the paint industry, the best way will be the hardest (in the short term.) Trust me, doing it the right way the first time will save a LOT of work in the long run, if you have to try and fix the mistakes. That is triple if not more, the work.
    6. If asking for painters references, find jobs that are more than a couple years old. All jobs will look fantastic the month they are done. The true test is how they look a number of years down the road.

Like I said, I wont mention where I work, any of that, Im not doing this to try and get myself business. If you got questions, anything let me know. Just trying to help out a lot of people that have helped me over the years.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Painting advice

So How often should you paint your house?

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Painting advice

How often should you? Or how often should you expect to?

Should you, whenever it needs it
    Expect to, obviously varies, my house is on year 12 or 13 and still looks brand new

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.