Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Paver patio vs traditional deck

Re: Paver patio vs traditional deck

Wife and I weighed the pros and cons for most of August. Got quotes for decks and patios. Within our budget we couldn't afford to make the deck larger since we would have needed to pour more footings and extended the framing. A guy I work with was pretty enthusiastic about recommending someone he used to be in business with. He was ultimately the guy we chose to do a paver patio. We drew up 16x16 and ended up pretty close to that the way the stones fell. Did a 12' long by 24" high seating wall coming off the house. They still have 2 days or so of work to do but we're pretty happy with the look so far.

Looking forward to a 12x12 or 12x14 shade structure. Watched some videos where it's wired up for a ceiling fan, lights and outlets along the posts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paver patio vs traditional deck-img_20200909_161107-jpg  

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by 01xj; 09-09-20 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Wife and I weighed the pros and cons for most of August. Got quotes for decks and patios. Within our budget we couldn't afford to make the deck larger since we would have needed to pour more footings and extended the framing. A guy I work with was pretty enthusiastic about recommending someone he used to be in business with. He was ultimately the guy we chose to do a paver patio. We drew up 16x16 and ended up pretty close to that the way the stones fell. Did a 12' long by 24" high seating wall coming off the house. They still have 2 days or so of work to do but we're pretty happy with the look so far.

Looking forward to a 12x12 or 12x14 shade structure. Watched some videos where it's wired up for a ceiling fan, lights and outlets along the posts.
    Looks great but the story doesn't add up, they told you that was cheaper? I built a 12x12 deck for a bud in a day, hell I've built 40'of dock in 2 days. Idk, looks like it's going to turn out nice though!

You still need at least a 4 to 5 tread step down deck or something no? Hope they flash it properly as well.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by G21forme; 09-09-20 at 10:50 PM.
    [/IMG][/URL]

[QUOTE=01xj;1573647]I am leaning towards the paver patio[/QUOT

We installed a paver patio about a mile south of you 5 years ago at one of my friends house . Still looks awesome and we are no expert installers. I'll take you over if you like, to see what it looks like now.

TIMMYDUCK

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    Looks great but the story doesn't add up, they told you that was cheaper? I built a 12x12 deck for a bud in a day, hell I've built 40'of dock in 2 days. Idk, looks like it's going to turn out nice though!

You still need at least a 4 to 5 tread step down deck or something no? Hope they flash it properly as well.
    The deck quotes I got were for trex decking with viynl rails and black balusters, so it was more expensive from the get go.

Posting Freak

Someone mentioned concrete - my neighbors poured a huge patio, colored and stamped it - it looks great. It will stain if not sealed, though. I suspect pavers get a lot hotter than the decking, so if your patio gets a lot of sun that might be a factor?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
    Someone mentioned concrete - my neighbors poured a huge patio, colored and stamped it - it looks great. It will stain if not sealed, though. I suspect pavers get a lot hotter than the decking, so if your patio gets a lot of sun that might be a factor?

Well see. We're gonna put some kind of roof or shade thing over it. My neighbors have a stamped concrete driveway and it's beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    The deck quotes I got were for trex decking with viynl rails and black balusters, so it was more expensive from the get go.
    OH snap yeah that's expensive as hell, I was thinking simple pt numbers.

[/IMG][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
    Depends on the decking, plastic decking can get super hot. The espresso and maple (brown) color tuff board and azek heats up pretty good.

[/IMG][/URL]

Our Azek deck gets way hotter than our paver patio

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Posting Freak

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    Our Azek deck gets way hotter than our paver patio
    I don't have experience with either, but thought it was worth mentioning. My patio is brick which stays pretty cool compared to other options.

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    OH snap yeah that's expensive as hell, I was thinking simple pt numbers.
    Have you checked pricing and availability of PT lately?

Quote Originally Posted by db79 View Post
    Have you checked pricing and availability of PT lately?
    Quotes here ( Lakes region) are super crazy for decking , But my builder says its the price of pressure treated lumber that's driving the costs up. If he can even get enough of it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12