Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Need a new PC

Re: Need a new PC

Sounds like you're sold and all set, and this isn't me trying to be argumentative by any means, but Intel Vs AMD is just a Ford Vs Chevy, Kawi Vs Yamaha etc etc. I run my gaming PC nearly 24/7 when I'm home, and have had nothing but AMD machines in the past, (and even this laptop that I'm on is AMD), and they're excellent computers. I've never had an issue with AMD. Intel are good, but way overpriced IMO. Good luck with the new PC! It's always nice getting a new toy!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Really? For general purpose computing (read: not games) who gives a damn. I have a couple desktops with either integrated or nearly antique GPUs and no complaints here.

IMO I buy my graphics setups based on how many noisy little fans they have. Zero wins my money.
    Apparently you have not taken a close look at Windows 8 then, or many graphical applications these days. Many require at least D3D/OpenGL support, and Windows 8 in particular is going to be heavily focused on graphics, moreso than Windows 7. And if you're looking to do anything like edit photos or video, you're going to need it, especially with 1080 becoming the standard for video.

Don't be a crotchety old man stuck in the past because its what you're used to. Video acceleration is apparent in almost every single application out there today, and Intel simply has not kept up in their integrated department.

Last edited by SRTie4k; 08-13-12 at 07:24 AM.
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

No need to get snarky.

No, I have not looked at Win8. I will probably not make that upgrade for at least another couple years, personally. I am not sure I'd buy hardware for an OS not commonly available yet. But maybe that's me being crotchety.

FWIW: AFAIK Lightroom-the photo editing software I use-does not make any use of GPUs. None at all. Although I know p-shop does, if that's your thing.

Any examples of video editors that make use of the GPU? What's the important spec to glean from that? DirectX version X or something?

Windows Movie Maker, Vegas Movie Studio, Premier Pro, Avid all require hardware acceleration, although to varying degrees. WMM can function with Intel integrated graphics, although it is slow as death. The rest require dedicated graphics for decent performance, largely because those apps offload video decoding to the video card these days.

Everything is getting hardware acceleration now.

http://slashdot.org/story/12/07/25/0...ted-everything

Without a dedicated card, your integrated graphics are going to be choking on running the OS, never mind any type of rendering using an app on top of the OS.

Fair enough. I still feel I wouldn't pay for it, and I still value a silent, low power solution over these double wide cards clad with cheap (loud) fans.

Seems I am not alone. Plenty of comments on that /. link from folks who seem to agree with me.

I'd go SSD before a hot GPU. And I'd pour more RAM into the system before either.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Fair enough. I still feel I wouldn't pay for it, and I still value a silent, low power solution over these double wide cards clad with cheap (loud) fans.

Seems I am not alone. Plenty of comments on that /. link from folks who seem to agree with me.

I'd go SSD before a hot GPU. And I'd pour more RAM into the system before either.
    I think you're vastly over inflating the type of video card I'm talking about. I'm not suggesting he buy a Geforce 680 Superclocked or a Radeon 7890 twin GPU card, I'm talking about a $50 entry level dedicated video card, many of which have passive coolers or tiny little fans. A $50, single bracket card generates almost no heat.

This is what I'm talking about:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...25%20-%20%2450

Yeah an SSD is nice, but its also way more expensive than $50, at least if you plan on storing your applications on it to achieve the fantastic read/write speeds of using that app.

And RAM does not speed up a system like it did 15 years ago. Not only that, but RAM is pennies anyways.

Well, why didn't you just say so.

Fanless => good!

Reputable 128GB SSD's are hitting $80 now.

128GB is small for a primary drive, especially if you plan on storing pictures/videos on it (and thus reaping the benefits of an SSD).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12