Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Pet owners, mast cell tumor?

Pet owners, mast cell tumor?

My 5 year old Lab was diagnosed yesterday with a mast cell skin tumor on her belly. Not sure I fully beleive them, as I have always felt they push people into spending money they really don't have to.
    Yesterday, they stuck a needle in and pulled fluid out and looked at it under the microscope. While doing so, she explained what she was looking for... but were surprised when the fluid came out clear... then said it didn't look like what they were expecting under the microscope. Yet they still diagnosed it as a mast cell cancer tumor.
    Obviously, I'm going to get a second opinion, but has anyone had this on their dog, and if so, what is the long term prognosis ? They want $1500 to remove it, and recommend X-ray and ultra sound of the internals prior to surgury at an additional cost.

In the pic, you can see the spot on her belly, it's been there for about 6 months and they originally told me it was a fat tissue skin tag.

Pet owners, mast cell tumor?-img_0396-jpg

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Re: Pet owners, mast cell tumor?

Over the last 10 years, I've been lucky enough to have two labs. They were/are both lumpy. If the fluid is clear of cancer cells, I wouldn't give it another thought.

The one thing I've found is diet affects the lumps. Certain food = bigger/growing lump. They don't typically get smaller once established (sometimes a tiny bit) but they will stop growing if you find the right food for the pup.

Couch time - they look well loved.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

She is on a grain free diet, she has had it tough with allergies all her life. It's hard to switch up foods again, as they really upset her allergies. She doesn't get any processed treats, just baby carrots and sliced fruits.

They have not done a biopsy yet, the vet just pulled some fluid and looked at it under a microscope.

She's spoiled for sure, I built her a full sized dog bed and still would rather have the couch. The pit bull is a friends dog I was dog sitting for 2 weeks...they definitely love each other

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

I haven't seen her on here for a while, but pm cbr_chick_nh. Caring for and treating sick animals is her livelihood.
    Hope it works out...dogs are a man's best friend!

Mark,

I dealt with this exact situation with my dog and learned a whole lot in the process. I don't have time to type it all out now but I'll PM you my number if you want to call.

In short, it's either fat deposits or mast cell.

This is the thread I posted when we were approaching the point of no return.

Thanks to those who responded here and with PM's. I have an appointment tomorrow with another vet that is used by other family members, so I'll see what he has to say. He did suggest if it was mast cell, to remove it...just needs to verify its mast cell and not fatty tissue.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Good luck to the puppy dog. Hope it turns out to be something minor.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2018 Onewheel XR

Ditto bergs.. it's usually either fatty deposits mast cell. Is it irregular in shape or just a lump?

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Our dog had what they thought was one...they checked the fluid under a microscope and we decided to take it off...they sent it out to be tested and it was not cancerous...it was in a bad location on a high energy dog...bad combo as far as keeping the incision closed...next time we will get it tested before I think...what was scary was how fast it grew...looked like this within a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Second vet didn't think it was mast cell, but also thought it should be removed. I gave him the ok and she is now recovering. He was also less than 1/3 the cost to remove it vs the quote from her regular vet.

Pet owners, mast cell tumor?-img_0429-jpg

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Poor puppy dog..

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2018 Onewheel XR

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I gave him the ok and she is now recovering. He was also less than 1/3 the cost to remove it vs the quote from her regular vet.
    Glad it seems to have worked out. That's a huge difference for the fee to go from $1500 to less than $500! (if I'm reading that right?).

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Quote Originally Posted by TTD View Post
    Glad it seems to have worked out. That's a huge difference for the fee to go from $1500 to less than $500! (if I'm reading that right?).
    Their quote was $1100-1300 just to remove the tumor. They wanted extra for pre surgery blood work and any additional medications.
    The mobile vet my parents use, came to my house at 1:30 yesterday, and was leaving by 2pm with the tumor. $268 is what it cost me. As of yesterday, I have switched vets.

I understand the cost of overhead with one vs the other, but the price difference is a bit extreme.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Great ending to that story. I too have recently switched to a mobile vet and my results mirror yours.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.