Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Pickup body mount replacement

Pickup body mount replacement

Anyone replaced the body mounts/ isolators/ cab mounts whatever you want to call them? Seems like a pretty straightforward job but I'm a little iffy about doing it myself. My thought was to remove all the bolts on one side of the truck and jack the body off the frame a few inches using some 4x4 blocking to distribute the pressure of the jack. That should free things up enough to get new mounts in, then lower it back down, snug up the bolt and move to the next one. How worried do I need to be about misaligning the body to the frame? This is on the old body style chevy truck, 99-07. Mine is an 03 extended cab. I have an energy suspension kit with all the mounts, spacers and washers. I have a battery impact as well as air impact tools to break things free.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by 01xj; 01-04-21 at 10:29 PM.

Re: Pickup body mount replacement

That technique will work perfectly fine. Just make sure you can actually loosen the fasteners, they could be solid rust, then you'll be in for more of a nightmare.

Jeff

Iíve replaced quite a few body mounts over the years, your method of lifting the cab will be fine. Just inspect the frame mounts the body sits on, a lot of times the rubber mounts hold in the moisture and rust the actual mount perch.
    Iíve also had to shim between the body mount and the floor support to get the body lines to line up perfectly, some aftermarket mounts end up being slightly different thickness than oem

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

I replaced the rear body mounts on a 2007 Sierra classic 2500 CCSB 4x4. Was really easy and your technique will work fine. Can't mis-align. There was a TSB for "frame beaming" and they created new rear mounts to fix it. The new mounts fixed the sagging body and vibration on my truck.

another +1 to the technique, that's how i've done it. additional notes from Gear and R7 are spot on as well ... rust may be your biggest issue, screaming at the sky helps.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Thanks guys. For being 18 years old the truck is mostly rust free. I havent had to fight much on it in the last few years. Part of the reason I cant bring myself to get rid of it is because its not rotten like most trucks this age.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by 01xj; 01-05-21 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    I replaced the rear body mounts on a 2007 Sierra classic 2500 CCSB 4x4. Was really easy and your technique will work fine. Can't mis-align. There was a TSB for "frame beaming" and they created new rear mounts to fix it. The new mounts fixed the sagging body and vibration on my truck.
    Did new mounts fix any of the vibration or frame beaming? Only asking purely cause I'm curious. My old POS 2003 rides like a waterbed at 75mph. A guy I work with couldn't even put a cup of coffee in the center console in his newer model, I want to say 2016. He went through new tires, driveshaft, wheels, bushings, balancing etc. He finally ended up getting rid of the truck at a dealership outside our local network just to wash his hands of it.