Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Ordered a new Pickup Truck

Re: Ordered a new Pickup Truck

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    suck my balls.
    I could use some chocolate balls for vday

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    My local Ford stealer has TWO used blue Raptors on the lot now. Guess a lot of Raptor owners are upgrading to the new model.
    Same at the dealer in Quincy, last week a black one - this week a blue one.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

I could handle a trade in Raptor for my new plow truck... in ten years.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    I could handle a trade in Raptor for my new plow truck... in ten years.
    They actually don't do truck things very well; such as towing, payload, or pushing snow. Then there's the hidden cost of ownership that can get a bit out of control. Preliminary reports have new Raptor owners consuming on average 22.6 Monster Energy drinks per week and are purchasing an obscene number of flat-billed hats.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    They actually don't do truck things very well; such as towing, payload, or pushing snow. Then there's the hidden cost of ownership that can get a bit out of control. Preliminary reports have new Raptor owners consuming on average 22.6 Monster Energy drinks per week and are purchasing an obscene number of flat-billed hats.
    Can you elaborate more on what you mean? They should be great at towing and payload, not sure why having beefed up suspension, skids and a bigger motor detracts from towing and payload. If anything it enhances it. Significantly.

EDIT: It doesn't happen often, but I may have totally missed the sarcasm.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 02-13-17 at 03:23 PM.

haha, you funny!

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

I, much like you, was half serious and half joking. I fully realize the truck is at odds with my intended usage, but they said there were blue ones, and I like blue.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    Can you elaborate more on what you mean? They should be great at towing and payload, not sure why having beefed up suspension, skids and a bigger motor detracts from towing and payload. If anything it enhances it. Significantly.
    'Beefed up' in this case means longer travel, not higher rate springs. Think looking at a dirt bike vs a CBR and wondering why the dirtbike isn't the ultimate towing and cruising bike. 'Beefed up suspension', so go to go right? It's all about HOW the suspension is beefed up vs the task at hand.

771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC

Of all the guys who argue about bead locks, I wonder how many have actually been rock crawling. Ever.
    I'd say I've been a time or two...

It seems you're a little mixed up on how you quantify a "beefed up" suspension. Take my old rig above; 4-linked front and rear with 3" heim joints, progressive rate coil overs, and 14 inches of shock travel. Damn good at crawling over rocks and taking abuse, absolutely shit horrible at towing anything. The Raptor is basically a (shitty) production version of a Baja truck, it's intended off road purpose is to rip through the dunes at high speeds, so it needs to be able to handle rapid compression and rebound. Spring rates are designed to support the weight of the vehicle, not the weight of the vehicle plus a load, on an off road vehicle, you want to maximize wheel travel. Super stiff rear leaf springs are a characteristic of a good tow rig. You want rigidity and stability, so a long travel suspension that deflects easily is a bad thing.

Last edited by loudbeard; 02-13-17 at 03:30 PM.

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    'Beefed up' in this case means longer travel, not higher rate springs.
    Super stiff rear leaf springs are a characteristic of a good tow rig. You want rigidity and stability, so a long travel suspension that deflects easily is a bad thing.
    True, you guys are correct. However, in this particular case, I think you are being a little academic. I am pretty sure the Raptor springs are just as well rated for its payload as any regular F150s. Just because a vehicle is higher performance doesn't automatically make it poor at its original intended purpose. In some cases, maybe, but not in this case.

As for off road prowess, Raptor is more than just a desert jumper though that's the stereotype. A locking rear diff, high ground clearance, 35s, skids, sophisticated traction modes and suspension travel all make it quite effective at rock crawling. Sure the size and breakover angle will be an issue in the tightest of trails, but in most cases, as long as you don't mind pinstripes and a few scrapes, the Raptor would do very well.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 02-13-17 at 03:46 PM.

True, you guys are correct. However, in this particular case, I think you are being a little academic. I am pretty sure the Raptor springs are just as well rated for its payload as any regular F150s. Just because a vehicle is higher performance doesn't automatically make it poor at its original intended purpose. In some cases, maybe, but not in this case.

As for off road prowess, Raptor is more than just a desert jumper though that's the stereotype. A locking rear diff, high ground clearance, 35s, skids, sophisticated traction modes all make it quite effective at rock crawling. Sure the size and breakovers will be an issue in the tightest of trails, but in most cases, the Raptor would do well.
    Wrong again. The Raptor has a 8,000 lb towing capacity and requires a weight distributing hitch over 5k. The standard F150 is 10,500. We can go back to discussing bead locks if you'd like.

And no, the Raptor would a horrible rock crawler. Trust me, I've built several.

xxaarraa

Wrong again. The Raptor has a 8,000 lb towing capacity and requires a weight distributing hitch over 5k. The standard F150 is 10,500. We can go back to discussing bead locks if you'd like.

And no, the Raptor would a horrible rock crawler. Trust me, I've built several.
    No I don't trust you, and I disagree.

8000 lb versus 10500 lbs is academic. Unless you are a pro construction worker, which 99.9% of raptor owners are not.

You seem to have a problem with the Raptors 'fake' beadlocks, spring rates, tow rating, rock crawling ability (so far). No one's forcing an allotment on you brah, you don't have to buy one.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 02-13-17 at 04:14 PM.

No I don't trust you, and I disagree.

8000 lb versus 10500 lbs is academic. Unless you are a pro construction worker, which 99.9% of raptor owners are not.
    Sure, a 30% increase in towing capacity is pretty much negligible. Think you'd notice a 30% increase in pay? Would your girlfriend notice a 30% increase in the size of your manhood? How about a 30% increase in power on your bike?

At this point it's fair to assume you've probably never towed more than a single axle 6x12 and you know exactly jack shit about off roading anything. Your game is weak, bruh.

xxaarraa

Sure, a 30% increase in towing capacity is pretty much negligible. Think you'd notice a 30% increase in pay? Would your girlfriend notice a 30% increase in the size of your manhood? How about a 30% increase in power on your bike?

At this point it's fair to assume you've probably never towed more than a single axle 6x12 and you know exactly jack shit about off roading anything. Your game is weak, bruh.
    Surprised you didn't throw in your usual "fwd car with snow tires" comment.

I am retired from trading insults on NESR. Peace.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 02-13-17 at 04:16 PM.

Surprised you didn't throw in your usual "fwd car with snow tires" comment.

I am retired from trading insults on NESR. Peace.
    If you don't want to be in an argument, don't argue. Savvy?

For whatever it's worth, his trailer had 2 axles when he dropped it off at the crib so suck on that.

Mine will not be a parking lot princess, but im not gonna scrape the paint off down narrow trails.

for me, it is a compromise because I need a truck but want a sports car. Ill bomb to work on snowy days, take it up rural areas on windfarms and other job sites, take it trailing some,throw my sled in the back and go to camp, or throw trash in the back and go to the dump, car seats in the back and cart the kiddos around when I need to.

edit: most I will tow is a snowmobile trailer!

Last edited by xrocket21; 02-14-17 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MFChop View Post
    Completely false...... Thats why dealers are getting away with this nonsense. I personally talked to a North America Rep at the javits show and was told so, still have his card somewhere..

The allocations are based on that dealers previous sales volume with the gen1. However any dealer can put in an order for a new build once the allocations have been fulfilled nation wide

EDIT:

Im being lazy with my googling today but direct from Ford

"How many Raptors will you build? Is the Raptor a limited-production vehicle? We will build enough Raptors to meet customer demand, but it is a low-volume vehicle built for off-road enthusiasts."

"https://www.at.ford.com/content/dam/atford/archive/2015_NA/Jan/NAIAS/Raptor%20QandA.pdf

In layman's terms...... You want it we'll build it
    While I do agree that things will settle out, currently they are hard to find.

peruse all the $5k-$10k over msrp options out there

FOR SALE: '17 at my local Ford dealer @5k over MSRP - FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor

from that school at Miller, rad stuff

Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post

from that school at Miller, rad stuff
    yessssssss

Im signed up for May 14th!!!!!!!!!!!

Free school, but about $600 deep in flights and hotels.

also paid $80 for the optional insurance!!!

- - - Updated - - -

-SCT X4 programmer

-AFE intake

-Boost Gauge

On the to-buy list:

-RPG collars for the front fox shocks to level it out (1.5" lift)

-Tint

-fog lights of some sort

Pardon the hijack but is this crazy? A 2004 Chevy 2500 regular cab from CA for $10,900?

2004 chevy silverado...california 4x4

If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Mine will not be a parking lot princess, but im not gonna scrape the paint off down narrow trails.

for me, it is a compromise because I need a truck but want a sports car. Ill bomb to work on snowy days, take it up rural areas on windfarms and other job sites, take it trailing some,throw my sled in the back and go to camp, or throw trash in the back and go to the dump, car seats in the back and cart the kiddos around when I need to.

edit: most I will tow is a snowmobile trailer!
    'Needing' a truck in rural Maine is just a bit different than needing one in greater Boston. I'm thankful we have options of high performance/ luxury trucks to choose from! Looking forward to your first impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Pardon the hijack but is this crazy? A 2004 Chevy 2500 regular cab from CA for $10,900?

2004 chevy silverado...california 4x4
    Laughable imo. Reg cab, base model, 13 years old, etc