Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

need pit bull advice

need pit bull advice

so my neighbor is a screw up. long story short, him and his wife split and now their three pits are going to the pound to be put down. Id like to take the female. Shes 6 months and seems friendly. ive been out working on stuff and she'll come and want to play.

I have never had a pit but have had other dogs. Id like to hear from other pit owners about some specifics. I know they can be dog aggressive, and need a careful eye, socialization and lots of exercise.

Anything else that will help me out. i hate to see any animal be put down just because their owners are idiots.

also if anyone is interested, the other 6 month old male still needs a home. The third one is agressive so I dont really want to deal with that one.

0 Not allowed!
    Tuono

Re: need pit bull advice

Pit bulls are probably the most misunderstood dog in existence. I haven't met one that was any more or less aggressive than other supposedly "friendly" breeds. Just be aware they are extremely loyal and territorial and that's what makes them misunderstood.

0 Not allowed!

paging kitt.....

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS Expert #99
    08 R6

"why tip-toe through life to arrive safely at death?" Tony Campol

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    To quote PK, I "went in too hot and ran out of talent".

Rockin' the West Coast... Femmekat's Avatar

I used to run a Pit Bull rescue in Colorado, and took in a lot of Pits from bad parts of LA also... They are fantastic dogs, just extremely driven, as is common in all terrier breeds. The media wouldn't have you know it, but they actually temperament test higher than golden retreivers! Socializing is important...however some of them are naturally dog aggressive. No Pit Bull should ever be natuarally human aggressive. As with any breed, there are some that have a couple of screws loose, but it is not typical of the breed. Feel free to PM me with any questions... The most important thing is to keep your dog out of situations that it may get itself into trouble in, socialize, and make sure it becomes a great ambassador for the breed... They are so misunderstood. This is a great website for information on the breed, answers to common questions, etc.... www.badrap.org Below is a picture of two of my pits in Colorado...with a calf and baby goat... You can tell they are absolutely vicious ;p

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Femmekat; 07-21-09 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Femmekat View Post
    I used to run a Pit Bull rescue in Colorado, and took in a lot of Pits from bad parts of LA also... They are fantastic dogs, just extremely driven, as is common in all terrier breeds. The media wouldn't have you know it, but they actually temperament test higher than golden retreivers! Socializing is important...however some of them are naturally dog aggressive. No Pit Bull should ever be natuarally human aggressive. As with any breed, there are some that have a couple of screws loose, but it is not typical of the breed. Feel free to PM me with any questions... The most important thing is to keep your dog out of situations that it may get itself into trouble in, socialize, and make sure it becomes a great ambassador for the breed... They are so misunderstood. This is a great website for information on the breed, answers to common questions, etc.... www.badrap.org Below is a picture of two of my pits in Colorado...with a calf and baby goat... You can tell they are absolutely vicious ;p
    Humm..I always thought those were cows??

0 Not allowed!
    EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

I agree that they are misunderstood. They are also very trainable. Oxx and Amanda love their pits, and we love our pit-boxer mix. One way to socialize them is to send them to doggie daycare one or two days a week. They get to play with other dogs of similar size and energy in a controlled setting with trained handlers, which is great. I also am convinced that due to their loyalty, they are great family dogs. We were a little worried that our little guy would be aggressive toward our new baby out of jealousy, but he has more than accepted her - he protects her from the Fed Ex guy, and makes sure we know when she needs something. Super protective!

0 Not allowed!
    Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

my mom has one, and i have a friend with 4, great dogs,well behaved. nothing to worry about

0 Not allowed!
    .:|LaRNZ|:.

Ummm.... not sure if you're serious, but a calf is a baby bovine, cow usually refers to an adult female. The one in the pic was a Hostein(breed) steer (castrated male) named Oscar, and baby goat is a "kid", the one in the pic was Toby, who is a Nubian (breed) whether (neutered male goat), if ya want specifics

0 Not allowed!

Ummm.... not sure if you're serious, but a calf is a baby bovine, cow usually refers to an adult female. The one in the pic was a Hostein(breed) steer (castrated male) named Oscar, and baby goat is a "kid", the one in the pic was Toby, who is a Nubian (breed) whether (neutered male goat), if ya want specifics
    Is it a dog or not?

0 Not allowed!
    EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

thanks guys, im planning on taking the female as she took a liking to me when i first met her, greasy hands and all. just sad to see that other two might be put down. Ive read about keeping the dog on a harness because they are strong. and comments on leashes, collars, harnesses etc?

0 Not allowed!
    Tuono

In hibernation

I have two.... amazing dogs. Loyal, protective, yes.. but very trainable and submissive to their master.

You won't regret them. Socialize them if you can (day care, dog parks, take them mountain climbing etc)... they NEED to exercise and be around other dogs and kids to defy the 'stigma' they've been given.

You'll have no problems.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.... I've raise both of mine from puppy-hood up. One was born in the SPCA, and the other was rescued from an illegal puppy mill - they are not what the media makes them out to be at all!

0 Not allowed!

Please avoid a choke chain. You can very easily train a dog without one.

Trained mine with a 15 foot leash, some bacon and a little patience.

0 Not allowed!

Pits are good dogs. As long as you understand them iv'e had & been around pits befoe most of yous was born. They love ya & will keep you safe. Remember this & your good ta have one. PS I have a few storys

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by beet; 07-21-09 at 08:56 PM.
    www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Quote Originally Posted by FlynGSXR1k View Post
    I have two.... amazing dogs. Loyal, protective, yes.. but very trainable and submissive to their master.

You won't regret them. Socialize them if you can (day care, dog parks, take them mountain climbing etc)... they NEED to exercise and be around other dogs and kids to defy the 'stigma' they've been given.

You'll have no problems.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.... I've raise both of mine from puppy-hood up. One was born in the SPCA, and the other was rescued from an illegal puppy mill - they are not what the media makes them out to be at all!
    I liked your dogs very much!

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    Is it a dog or not?
    Lol....enlarge the thumbnail and put yer glasses on old man

0 Not allowed!

Lol....enlarge the thumbnail and put yer glasses on old man

0 Not allowed!
    www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

The one I got now I picked up from New Haven dog pound. I was going ta pick up a german shepherd for my wife. And came home with the german shepherd & my pit. The guy @ the pound was like your kidding.

0 Not allowed!
    www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules

The problem with pits isn't them its the dumb ass owners. A lot of people get them because of the image it projects. They then re-enforce the dogs bad behavior, because this makes you more of a bad ass right? Almost any dog in this environment would be overly aggressive and would be labeled a "bad dog". I personally have never owned a pit but plenty of my friends have and I've never met an aggressive one. If they are socialized, shown leadership and exercised they are wonderful dogs in my experience.

0 Not allowed!

I love my pit, and recommend you grab one of your friends dogs (or two) if you are ready to be dedicated owner/master/friend.

PM me with all the specific questions you have, I will give you the best answer from my experience... Delilah is the best dog I've had, but I've learned a lot from her... and how to give her the best home she could have.

delilah!

0 Not allowed!

they tend to get more dog aggressive as they get older but can be trained by someone who knows what they're doing. very affectionate towards their master & people overall. they will go with anyone that approaches them. highly trainable (food driven. u can teach them to do anything) high energy. i can go on & on. they only have bad reps cuz of bad owners, like your neighbors perhaps.

do u have any pics of the 6 month male? what shelter will they be going to?

0 Not allowed!

well its here in rochester ny. i dont have any pics, but shes got a brindle(sp?) coat and i thought kind of skinny compared to most of the pics ive seen. ill be getting a hold of someone today to see if i can work something out.

0 Not allowed!
    Tuono

In hibernation

Quote Originally Posted by banzairx7 View Post
    The problem with pits isn't them its the dumb ass owners. A lot of people get them because of the image it projects. They then re-enforce the dogs bad behavior, because this makes you more of a bad ass right? Almost any dog in this environment would be overly aggressive and would be labeled a "bad dog". I personally have never owned a pit but plenty of my friends have and I've never met an aggressive one. If they are socialized, shown leadership and exercised they are wonderful dogs in my experience.
    Could not have said it better!
    My youngest was a true rescue from an abusive environment (outdoor puppy mill where 48 were rescued, only 20 could be saved), and even he has come around to be a great, calm, and loyal pup.

I would ONLY caution you if you're adopting/taking on a formally abused or neglected pit to keep small kids away, because unfortunately sometimes the damage to the pup has already been done, and they ARE dangerous if trained to be so.

...and FYI... there is no such thing as 'lock jaw', strong muscles yes, but they have the ability to release...again as mentioned before all part of the anti-pitbull/media frenzy created by jackass masters who shouldnt have a dog to begin with

0 Not allowed!

Another Ducati snob #1 masshole's Avatar

http://pitbullforum.com

great site that I belong to. U can learn anything you want to know about them there.
    As a pit owner, they are the most lovable creatures on earth! Wanna be a good responsible owner, don't let anything happen that will cause more alarm about the breed. I think it takes alot more responsibility to be a pit owner than most other dogs.
    With that said go for it, you'll never regret it and you'll have the best friend anyone could ask for.

0 Not allowed!

Great dogs, very smart and loyal but, please only get one if your ready.
    Also be prepared for the comments from uneducated ill-informed people about the breed.

Dugan

Phaedra

0 Not allowed!

Common sense spoken here. toocrazy2yoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlynGSXR1k View Post
    Could not have said it better!
    My youngest was a true rescue from an abusive environment (outdoor puppy mill where 48 were rescued, only 20 could be saved), and even he has come around to be a great, calm, and loyal pup.

I would ONLY caution you if you're adopting/taking on a formally abused or neglected pit to keep small kids away, because unfortunately sometimes the damage to the pup has already been done, and they ARE dangerous if trained to be so.

...and FYI... there is no such thing as 'lock jaw', strong muscles yes, but they have the ability to release...again as mentioned before all part of the anti-pitbull/media frenzy created by jackass masters who shouldnt have a dog to begin with

I was always a little freaky about pits myself, never been around em much, and like Chris says, jackasses that fight them and squid's dicks like Mike Vick are all we ever hear about. Then there's the rapper-wannabees outta SE DC that like to put fighting Pits on a tow chain, take em into the NW DC business district and walk em around K St. and scare the workingfolk Federal office-workers from the White House all the way to Georgetown. Their little power in life, I guess.. But Chris' Pits are kewl dogs, at the party a couple weeks back, I became their best buddy, cooked em a hamburger, snacked em some chicken. They DO respond to food! So these pooches do get a bad rap. Yeah, if they've been made vicious on any level, I guess ya can't trust em, but more and more, I see peeps that have em and they wind up being pretty mellow..

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast