Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

need pit bull advice

Girls DO ride bikes :) gixxersixxer's Avatar

Re: need pit bull advice

I would just dare the state of California to take away people's "wolf" like dogs! Anyways, wolfs are docile creatures, they are petrified of humans. It's coyote's that are dangerous ones.

0 Not allowed!
    2010 tC
    no bike

Quote Originally Posted by gixxersixxer View Post
    Anyways, wolfs are docile creatures, they are petrified of humans. It's coyote's that are dangerous ones.
    Ummmmmmm... both will eat you if hungry and have a suitable pack. Don't go poking either with a stick.

0 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by BMFR6 View Post
    i would personally ban the pitbull that drives while smoking and shooting out the window.
    That is one bad ass dog.

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

Quote Originally Posted by gixxersixxer View Post
    I would just dare the state of California to take away people's "wolf" like dogs! Anyways, wolfs are docile creatures, they are petrified of humans. It's coyote's that are dangerous ones.
    think you have that backwards. i've woken up in the desert with coyotes licking my feet.

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Girls DO ride bikes :) gixxersixxer's Avatar

I've always heard wolves are the ones that are petrified of humans. Granted I wouldn't go looking for either of them but I've always heard coyotes are the more vicious of the two

0 Not allowed!
    2010 tC
    no bike

Sigh...As a extreme dog lover i laugh at the pit bull debate. Do i believe a lot or most of the people get the dogs due to there reputation? Yep, they like the fact that people are intimated by them. Can they be trained to be nice dogs, you bet. But, you can also train a lion to be nice, until its animal instinct kicks in.
    Your pit bull will be nice and caring and loving to you but god forbib its gets out, there not so nice to un-knowns. Would i even worry about a child being harmed or another dog when my black lab/shepard mix got out, not in the least. Pit bulls have the repuation they have partly to stupid owners but also due to the fact they are agressive dogs by nature. To deny that is just comical.

0 Not allowed!

Large dogs of any breed really do not belong in densely populated areas. With leash laws and no running/play areas it is not fair to the dog nor to others that are intimidated by them. You may not like my views on this but I looked at that cute kid this morning and he will be scarred emotionally and cosmetically for a long time if not life. That is awful.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    Large dogs of any breed really do not belong in densely populated areas. With leash laws and no running/play areas it is not fair to the dog
    That is a very valid point if you are talking about working type dogs.

0 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Just my two cents worth. I breed labrador retrievers , have done so for about 10-12 years. If the dogs are 6 months you can successfully train them to be loving companions. I have in the past been rushed to the ER with bite wounds, I made a simple mistake putting out dogs in the yard with bitches in heat in pen area. They and all dogs will fight. Pits get a bum rap because of tv and movies. I also show my dogs and have personally seen 10-20 pitbulls at a dog show playing like a bunch of babies, no fuss at all. I feel and always tell potential customers-you get out of dogs , what you put in to them. Show them no love and beat them and they will be nasty. treat them like they are part of the family and they will protect you with their lives.

0 Not allowed!
    GSXR750 GS650 Street Tracker

My wife wants to respond...

I would also recommend using Clicker training, it's fun it's easy and you can very easily shape your dogs behavior. As far as leash training there are head collars that are more like a horse halter that do work well, I have seen a new one that fastens on the back of the head vs underneath and it looks like it will work better. I use slip lead to train, they are simple, you don't need to "choke" the dog, it's more of a "pop"- "release" and food works well to reinforce the training. BTW you don't have to use big peices,really small peices of cheese or chicken/hot dogs work well.
    If I were you just start as if she WAS a puppy and you are starting from scratch. Take her to training classes for socialization and you will do well.

0 Not allowed!
    GSXR750 GS650 Street Tracker

Large dogs of any breed really do not belong in densely populated areas. With leash laws and no running/play areas it is not fair to the dog nor to others that are intimidated by them. You may not like my views on this but I looked at that cute kid this morning and he will be scarred emotionally and cosmetically for a long time if not life. That is awful.
    my dog didn't bite him...leave her out of it

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bigred875 View Post
    my dog didn't bite him...leave her out of it
    I agree. Why don't you come meet my dog and tell me that he will one day bite a kids face off. The ONLY way my dog would ever hurt anyone is if he was cornered and in fear for his life. I have seen my little cousin pull on Rainiers tail pretty hard and surprise him, only to see Rainier turn around and lick his face and continue VERY gently playing.

Stop bashing the breed or the size of the dog. Grow up and stop being a sheep.

Pit Bull lover & owner for life!!!!

0 Not allowed!

Ajay
    My Facebook-add me

"The things in life you regret are the risks you never took"

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    ....There is nothing but love and tent pitching at the BoMo days....

Large dogs of any breed really do not belong in densely populated areas. With leash laws and no running/play areas it is not fair to the dog nor to others that are intimidated by them.
    well, this is debatable and again it falls back to the owners. we have a husky, and soon we'll have another one. there are three huskies down the street. we all live in a suburb neighborhood surrounded by pugs. now a husky is a medium size dog, but i would put their energy levels at 10x most other breeds. like a big jack russell energy wise. after all, a husky is bred to pull medium weights over long distances across harsh terrain, they are a working dog and their energy and desire to run can't be matched. but because we know our breed, we work with it. we exercise daily around the neighborhood on a short leash, but when the weekend comes we go places away from home where a husky can be a husky. we know that as a breed we can't expect to keep what our dog happy just walking around the block 365 days a year, it takes work and time but we get her the exercise she needs. we plan several hours, not minutes, out of our lives every week to ensure we give our dogs what they need. we get together with other husky owners, again to give them what they need. we knew what we were getting in to.

additionally, what you call intimidation, i call ignorance. based on your posts, apparently you can easily be swayed by headlines so i guess you think all sportbike riders are assholes. keep listening to the papers and don't spend anytime listening to the people that are familiar with the dogs they are talking about and live your life in fear. or perhaps you can listen to the people that own these breeds and see what amazing dogs purebreds can be. maybe you'll learn that it's not about the breed but the owner and the breeder and that is where problems come from.

and actually i have a lot more i want to say, but my vicious wolf is looking for some attention so i'm going to go hang out with her. hope she doesn't maul me for some peanut butter.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by BMFR6; 09-28-09 at 08:30 PM.
    LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (Instinct: Mozilla/4.1 (U; BREW 3.1.5; en-US; Teleca/Q05A/INT))

Husky rates lower on a temperment scale than a pit bull.....so does a golden retriever

0 Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

is that link supposed to be pointed at me??

"Huskies appear to be a special case, in that even though they are
    common in the U.S., the life-threatening attacks involving them have
    virtually all occured in Alaska, the Northwest Territories, the Yukon,
    Labrador, and the northernmost parts of Quebec. In these regions, huskies
    are frequently kept in packs, in semi-natural conditions, and in some
    cases are even allowed to spend summers without regular human supervision.
    Thus many of the husky attack cases might be viewed more as attacks by feral
    animals, even though they technically qualified for this log because they
    were identified as owned and trained animals, who were supposed to know ththey were not to attack."

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Wirelessly posted (Instinct: Mozilla/4.1 (U; BREW 3.1.5; en-US; Teleca/Q05A/INT))

Who me?

0 Not allowed!
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post

Who me?
    no. the rambunctious one.

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

I concur. My little sister just brought a pitbull into my parents home and I am dead set against it. It is purebred pitbull puppy (a year old I think) and it wants to play-play-play. My parents have to work, my sister has to work- this poor dog is def lacking attention. They live in a victorian home with little room and a postage stamp backyard. They walk it daily and he sometimes gets to go running with dad- but its still not enough. Pitbulls are special breed and need special care and unfortunately most owners don't get this.

Also noteworthy- When I was 14 I was victim and witness to a pitbull attack. I was horseback riding with 3 other friends in a public park when an owner could no longer control her dogs and they attacked us- one pitbull, one german shepard. One of my friends got thrown and had a broken collar bone, the rest of us dismounted and struggled to ward the dogs away from our mounts. They picked one horse and mercilessly tore at it chest/neck/flank.

You all can go on and on about how cute, cuddly, or harmless your pitbull is. At the end of the day, these dogs were bred to be killers and if they set their mind to it....they can be.

0 Not allowed!
    USCRA #555 - Formula CB
    http://jro555.tumblr.com/

Rockin' the West Coast... Femmekat's Avatar

I pit bulls. I rescued a bunch of them from really bad LA shelters, and they are the most forgiving dogs on earth... Sometimes the amazing temperament of the dog can even overcome a bad past, and these dogs have the best temperaments ever.... My rescue pits hung out with livestock, baby goats, calves, etc. on the ranch in Colorado and were truly wonderful. They really have a tough time in the world due to irresponsible owners, unreliable press, and basic human stupidity. My pit bull/great dane mix hung out at the Newbury pose last week, and a big pit bull in the heart of Boston only attracted lots of love from passerby and everyone wanted to say "Hi" to her. It's very much about how you present the dog that affects people's reactions to it on the street... One good "breed ambassador" can change the minds of lots of people that are prejudiced about the breed.... Unfurtunately it is the few and far between unfortunate exceptions that are usually publicized....

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Femmekat; 09-28-09 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    I dunno, you dress too fashionably to be a communist
    LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6
    1996 F-350 4x4 diesel truck
    and anything else with serious hp

Huskies are bad ass, strong & a pit bull fighter. One more dog that can be made mean as grizzly bear! But its not the dog its the Trainer!

Quote Originally Posted by BMFR6 View Post
    is that link supposed to be pointed at me??

"Huskies appear to be a special case, in that even though they are
    common in the U.S., the life-threatening attacks involving them have
    virtually all occured in Alaska, the Northwest Territories, the Yukon,
    Labrador, and the northernmost parts of Quebec. In these regions, huskies
    are frequently kept in packs, in semi-natural conditions, and in some
    cases are even allowed to spend summers without regular human supervision.
    Thus many of the husky attack cases might be viewed more as attacks by feral
    animals, even though they technically qualified for this log because they
    were identified as owned and trained animals, who were supposed to know ththey were not to attack."

0 Not allowed!
    www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

they were not bred to be killers and comments like that show the ignorance of most people. you just said that there was a german sheppard involved, was he bred to kill also? pit bull are terriers and the breed is meant for chasing rodents like all terriers. any dog can kill. to say only certain breeds are capable of it is narrow minded.

0 Not allowed!

all dogs are Carnivores

0 Not allowed!
    www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

I get along with most dogs Trained to be social.

0 Not allowed!
    www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules

Quote Originally Posted by -jro- View Post
    these dogs were bred to be killers
    nope

0 Not allowed!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast