Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

need pit bull advice

Re: need pit bull advice

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Instinct: Mozilla/4.1 (U; BREW 3.1.5; en-US; Teleca/Q05A/INT))

they were not bred to be killers and comments like that show the ignorance of most people. you just said that there was a german sheppard involved, was he bred to kill also? pit bull are terriers and the breed is meant for chasing rodents like all terriers. any dog can kill. to say only certain breeds are capable of it is narrow minded.
    German shepards are also very aggressive dogs. It is no coincidence they are used in k-9 units. Are you telling me a poodle could attack a 500 lb horse and deal that kind of damage?

0 Not allowed!
    USCRA #555 - Formula CB
    http://jro555.tumblr.com/

Rockin' the West Coast... Femmekat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -jro- View Post

You all can go on and on about how cute, cuddly, or harmless your pitbull is. At the end of the day, these dogs were bred to be killers and if they set their mind to it....they can be.
    If you do any research on the breed you will find it abundantly clear, that they were never, ever bred to be aggressive towards humans. http://www.badrap.org Even pit bull rescues have no tolerance for a human aggressive dog of any kind. Chihuahuas however.... were bred to be people haters... Somehow that has become breed standard. I have worked in veterinary clinics for years, and not once have we ever had to muzzle, or been threatened in any way by a pit bull. I can think of a dozen other breeds however, that have bitten staff repeatedly.

I had 120 horses on my property in Colorado, and usually 15 pit bulls at a time pulled straight out of the shelter. With responsible management, I never had a single issue and I placed about 100 dogs, into mostly farm type homes. It is irresponsible people...not the dogs. "Ban the deed, not the breed." If that woman had properly trained dogs, or was obeying the leash laws, that never would have happened to you. Its not fair that a negligent person's actions are not scrutinized, and instead the blame falls on the dog... If someone was hand walking their horse and it spooked and got away from them, and ran over your child while you were out hiking would you blame the "vicious horse"? I think not... You would blame the negligent person for allowing/creating the situation in the first place.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    I dunno, you dress too fashionably to be a communist
    LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6
    1996 F-350 4x4 diesel truck
    and anything else with serious hp

I concur. My little sister just brought a pitbull into my parents home and I am dead set against it. It is purebred pitbull puppy (a year old I think) and it wants to play-play-play. My parents have to work, my sister has to work- this poor dog is def lacking attention. They live in a victorian home with little room and a postage stamp backyard. They walk it daily and he sometimes gets to go running with dad- but its still not enough. Pitbulls are special breed and need special care and unfortunately most owners don't get this.

Also noteworthy- When I was 14 I was victim and witness to a pitbull attack. I was horseback riding with 3 other friends in a public park when an owner could no longer control her dogs and they attacked us- one pitbull, one german shepard. One of my friends got thrown and had a broken collar bone, the rest of us dismounted and struggled to ward the dogs away from our mounts. They picked one horse and mercilessly tore at it chest/neck/flank.

You all can go on and on about how cute, cuddly, or harmless your pitbull is. At the end of the day, these dogs were bred to be killers and if they set their mind to it....they can be.
    that sucks to hear, but again, it's the owner fault, not the breeds fault (which of course you pointed out, "Pitbulls are special breed and need special care and unfortunately most owners don't get this.")

but.... to your point about them being bred to kill, show me one accredited breeder that breeds their dogs to kill. yes there are so-called breeders out there that are breeding dogs incorrectly and for the wrong reasons, but this goes back to owner education. when you research a breed and decide it is what you want, you then have to research the breeder and make sure you are getting a dog from good stock. if you were buying a new bike, would you go see sheppo or would you just go buy a bike off the back of some guys truck in dorchester? if i took the cb200 in my basement and painted it blue and threw an r1 sticker on it, would you buy it because i said it was an r1?

everyone needs to start looking at the breed standard and stop looking at every dog in the news. you need to start being pissed at the so called breeders and puppy mills.

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Quote Originally Posted by 600rr0504 View Post
    I own a pitbull and I deffinatly agree they need exercise but I don't agree that if you socialize them they will like other dogs. My dog has been around dogs at obedience class since I got him at three months and he doesn't go out and attack other dogs but he deffinatly does not like some dogs. The ones he doesn't like it is quite obvious but I still don't trust him around other dogs he does seem to tollerate.

Their are two sayings every pitbull owner should live by one "Never trust a pitbull not to fight", and "Your pitbull may not start the fight but it has no problem finishing it".

I mean yes their are some APBT that can get along with other dogs but that isn't and I guess shouldn't be the norm. Dog aggression isn't anything bad it is just part of owning an APBT. Human agression on the other hand is just about the biggest fault an APBT can have and I for one would never keep one that was. Whether it was to strangers or not.

To the origional poster just realize your dog may not grow up to be the social butterfly you want but that is part of owning the breed. Don't feel bad if all the buddies are bringing their labs or goldens camping and you have to leave yours home. They are a great breed and I wouldn't own any other. Good luck.

Rocky
    best post in this entire thread btw.

0 Not allowed!
    USCRA #555 - Formula CB
    http://jro555.tumblr.com/

German shepards are also very aggressive dogs. It is no coincidence they are used in k-9 units.
    Ummm.... most working dogs, including those used by police are selected for their willingness to please, work ethic, and trainability....

Pit bulls are even being used as drug dogs in airports because of their work ethic, and um, trainability... Do you really think that the police want a dog that is a threat to the public, to, um, be constantly exposed to the public?

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Femmekat; 09-28-09 at 09:59 PM.

LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6

best post in this entire thread btw.
    no. that's BS. I'll go on record saying that guy is an ass and ended up with a dog he wasn't prepared for and did not know the dogs background. if he raised that dog since it was a puppy, it's his fault it doesn't get along with other dogs. if it was a rescue, he should have known what he was getting in to as every reputable shelter will tell you up front if the dog is social.

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

The link I found was from the comment section from the T&G in todays paper about this childs unfortunate incident. I take all statistics with a grain of salt and usually find that there are motives behind who funds a study. But still it was interesting.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    The link I found was from the comment section from the T&G in todays paper about this childs unfortunate incident. I take all statistics with a grain of salt and usually find that there are motives behind who funds a study. But still it was interesting.
    that is understood, but those stats seem like an assault on pure bred dogs. i may have missed it, but did they justify why each dog was labeled as such? i don't think they did any real DNA testing and from what i have seen it's pretty easy to lump a mutt into a pure category just based on looks. of course i may be more sensitive to it given the fact my breed can easily fall in to the "wolf hybrid" category. in reality, my husky is as closely related to the wolf as a shih tzu.

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (Instinct: Mozilla/4.1 (U; BREW 3.1.5; en-US; Teleca/Q05A/INT))

Jenn, poodles can weigh 60lbs...so yes...they could cause that kind of damage and have. Poodles have blood on thier paws too. Pit bulls are also used as therapy dogs....as a matter of fact at least one of the Vick dogs is doing that now. i dont understand your comment that PB require special attention. what do they require that other dogs dont
    mine eat, sleep, poop, pee, bark, run, jump, wrestle, play tug, fetch and chew things....is there something im not doing? Buster is 13 and has never attacked anyone....what am i doing wrong?

0 Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

lauren your pit is awesome! Great dog....not one problem in boston the other night

people who are afraid of pitbulls and dogs like that because of what they hear on TV or in the newspaper typically do not bother to do any research and are jaded by the fact that the media portraits pitbulls as evil bloodthirsty dogs. And typically these same people believe they are right even when there are hundreds of people providing examples as to why they are not right. Happens alot in threads I guess.

My dogs a resuce and he isn't aggressive towards humans or dogs at all...think he's a lab/white shepherd mix

btw these pictures are from a hike on Mt Chocorua back in May and the mountain was packed and everybody loved Sam and came right up and pet him without any incident at all, except a few kisses he gave back

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Mondo; 09-28-09 at 10:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DBConz View Post
    crouching tiger, hidden mondos

Gorgeous pup Mondo!

0 Not allowed!

LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6

hahah thanks..he's a goofball

I shoulda named him Odie cause he looks like the Cartoon but Sam kinda just stuck

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by mondos06cbr1000 View Post
    hahah thanks..he's a goofball

I shoulda named him Odie cause he looks like the Cartoon but Sam kinda just stuck
    he needs to ditch the kid in the bandana. he's making him look bad.

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

def! He'd pull so much ass if that D-bag wasn't there

heres him in the rescue place in Georgia

i think he's happy to be out!

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Mondo; 09-28-09 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post

they were not bred to be killers and comments like that show the ignorance of most people. you just said that there was a german sheppard involved, was he bred to kill also? pit bull are terriers and the breed is meant for chasing rodents like all terriers. any dog can kill. to say only certain breeds are capable of it is narrow minded.

there are lots of misconceptions & myths surrounding pits. my favorite myth would be that pits have lock jaws lol.

German shepards are also very aggressive dogs. It is no coincidence they are used in k-9 units. Are you telling me a poodle could attack a 500 lb horse and deal that kind of damage?
    are u referring to pits & bull baiting? yes that was one of the sports that pits were used for in the past....fighting and bull baiting. though they were trained to fight, they were not trained to be killers. in fact, pits who were aggressive towards their masters when fighting were culled for that particular reason. fyi, the french police uses poodles as their k9 dogs. are they able to bring down a 500lb horse? i don't know but why would there be a need to?

0 Not allowed!

this is some of the dumbest shit ive ever read
    I own a pitbull and I deffinatly agree they need exercise
    all dogs need exercise..
    but I don't agree that if you socialize them they will like other dogs. My dog has been around dogs at obedience class since I got him at three months and he doesn't go out and attack other dogs but he deffinatly does not like some dogs. The ones he doesn't like it is quite obvious but I still don't trust him around other dogs he does seem to tollerate.
    that can be said about any breed or any dog. I know that Buster doesnt usually get along with dogs that arent fixed, so as an owner its my responsibility to be aware of that. Sully goes to daycare every week so my fear of him getting into it with another dog is low unless the other dog starts it. when i had my female i was outside Petco when some guy walked by with his black lab, i wasnt really paying attention but i hear this snarl and vicious barking and i immediatly tighten up the leash only to realize it wasnt Sadie but this guys lab...6" from Sadies face trying its hardest to chew it off. Sadie didnt flinch...but Sadie was a bad ass. she probably wouldve eaten that dog if she wanted to.

Their are two sayings every pitbull owner should live by one "Never trust a pitbull not to fight", and "Your pitbull may not start the fight but it has no problem finishing it".
    ignorance...why do you even own one. are you trying to be cool?
    I mean yes their are some APBT that can get along with other dogs but that isn't and I guess shouldn't be the norm. Dog aggression isn't anything bad it is just part of owning an APBT. Human agression on the other hand is just about the biggest fault an APBT can have and I for one would never keep one that was. Whether it was to strangers or not.
    more ignorance. the possibility of dog aggression is part of owning a dog, not a specific dog.i cant believe you would think that having a pit bull that gets along with other dogs shouldnt be normal. the biggest fault of a pit bull is its owner. i really dont understand why you have a dog that you dont believe in, and furthermore talk shit about. they are misunderstood enough by people they dont need their own owners putting them down too. you bought a dog and you have nothing good to say about it, which further makes me believe that you got one to say you have one.

To the origional poster just realize your dog may not grow up to be the social butterfly you want but that is part of owning the breed. Don't feel bad if all the buddies are bringing their labs or goldens camping and you have to leave yours home. They are a great breed and I wouldn't own any other. Good luck.
    dont listen to this guy, hes talking out of both sides of his mouth. first he goes on and on about how bad they are, and then in the same breath says how great they are. your dog will be what you want it to be. i bring my dogs to the track for race weekends, its not "out in the woods camping" but if i can take the dogs with me i do. i certainly wouldnt leave them home because my buddy has some overweight inbred Golden

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by SVRACER01; 09-28-09 at 10:59 PM.
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

I agree that PB's are misunderstood. My brother has a PB/Sheperd mix and he is the most docile dog I have ever seen. It's my brother, his girlfriend, Tyson(the PBS) and a Jack Russell(off the wall) in a tiny apartment and the two dogs get along just fine with each other and with other dogs and people. It really comes down to the owner. With enough attention and the proper handling, they can be great, safe, friendly pets.

After slogging through all of this, I see many parallels between this thread and the many 250cc vs liter bike threads out there. So, the question remains, will you use all of a pitbull's power on the street?

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

Quote Originally Posted by wiggeywackyo View Post
    After slogging through all of this, I see many parallels between this thread and the many 250cc vs liter bike threads out there. So, the question remains, will you use all of a pitbull's power on the street?
    best post of this entire thread

0 Not allowed!

whenever this subject comes up i get all riled up about this shit. the media has force fed people to believe that PB are the enemy and they should all be destroyed. my brothers 23# boston terrier bit me in the face a couple years ago. they must be dangerous to right? people are so willing to put the blinders on and only see what society feeds them. forget the jack russell that killed the baby, pay no attention to the 2 greyhounds that attacked that lady pushing the stroller, look away from the golden that mauled the old lady...look over here! this pit bull destroyed this kids face. they are sooo dangerous. then idiots like 600RR get diarrhea of the mouth/keyboard and go on and on about nonsense that completely contradicts itself and gives facts that apply to ALL dogs but some how manages to try to make them breed specific...like "APBT need exercise"...really? are you sure? what about other dogs? no exercise required? just shove them in the corner and watch them grow?
    Dogs are dogs are dogs...

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by SVRACER01; 09-28-09 at 11:13 PM.

In hibernation

Just one example of many of poodle attacks (and poodles KILLING)
    http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Art...dle%200608.pdf

0 Not allowed!

In hibernation

Everything aside I would like to say what a great job the NHSPCA (Stratham) is doing SCREENING people who are adopting their rescue pits. When I went in looking for my most recent rescue, they were telling me of how these (as they described) '18-21 yr old punks' were trying to adopt several of the rescue Pits. It'd be easy for them to let them go to make room for the next, but they are doing an awesome job screening their rescuers, making sure we have 'Pit Experience', an appropriate home/yard , and meeting the other dogs in the home.

It's responsible shelters like these, and so many responsible rescuers (like the many that have come out on this board alone!) that are making the difference.

Referring to Mondo's post, I too bring my boys up often crowded mountain trails. It's nice when people stop to pet my boys and I know the dogs are accepting to it.. but its even more refreshing when the interaction starts with 'Is that a pit bull?'.. "yes he is...his name is Mack. go ahead and pet him if you'd like...' and the look on their face when he allows them to pet him without a growl is really rewarding knowing they were scared and they can see that its NOT the breed at all.

Keep making the difference guys!! Shelters and Pittys everywhere appreciate the work and efforts (and grief we take)!

0 Not allowed!

K9 dogs are trained to a standard or they get rid of them.

A fully trained K9 will abort its attack halfway in the air with just a word from its trainer.

Read up on the Schutzhund training standards.

Bad dogs are made, not born. Usually to incompetence if not pure insanity by their owners.

I can say the same about some kids today, they scare me more than Pits.

0 Not allowed!
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride would do.

don't waste your energy, it's the modern day witch hunt...facts, logic and common sense have no place in this thread. these guys have made up their mind and there is absolutely no way anyone will change it...i mean you hear the stories all the time...they all must be true and the context leading to the attacks are irrelevant..we must make them extinct

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bigred875 View Post
    don't waste your energy, it's the modern day witch hunt...facts, logic and common sense have no place in this thread. these guys have made up their mind and there is absolutely no way anyone will change it...i mean you hear the stories all the time...they all must be true and the context leading to the attacks are irrelevant..we must make them extinct
    My sister thinks the same way. She wouldn't know an APBT if one car jacked her but she is deathly affraid of them. It's people basing legislation of emotion and feelings, it is the same thing as current DUI law and the assault weapons ban.

0 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast