Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

need pit bull advice

Re: need pit bull advice

Pits are among the most human-friendly canines. In tests conducted by the American Temperament Test Society, which evaluates stability, friendliness, and other traits in several hundred dog breeds, the American pit-bull terrier scored 85.3 percent, higher than a golden retriever.

0 Not allowed!

Exclamation Re: need pit bull advice

I have never, ever told anyone who isn't a blood relative this truly amazing story.

When I was a young lad, I fell down a steep cliff and twisted my ankle but good. I was very far from my home or any other residence for that matter and this was before the age of cellular telephones. It was cold and I was hungry. I couldn't walk on my own accord. I thought I was going to die. Just as I was contemplating sucking on the bark from the nearby birch tree as a desperate attempt to fulfill my nutritional requirements for the day, I was approached by three pit bulls whom I had never seen before in my life. I was unsure whether they were there to eat me alive or just checking on me to see if I was dead and cold yet. My life flashed before me as I prepared for the worst. With my eyes clenched shut tightly, I prayed to little baby Jesus to rescue me from these vicious animals and spare my meager existence. One of them lunged at me with an open jaw, coming within centimeters of my smooth, boyish face. He clamped his razor-sharp teeth down on the hood of my favorite red sweatshirt. Another of the dogs followed suit and clamped down on the other side of the hood. The third canine turned and began to follow my scent in reverse, with the other two magnificent beasts dragging me by my 50/50 cotton-poly blend sweatshirt all the way back to my front porch. My eyes were closed through most of the journey, but even a blind man could see that those three pit bulls saved my life on that cold winter day. When I got to the porch, I screamed for my Pa and before I could ask "Can we keep 'em, Pa? Can we keep 'em!?", the remarkable dogs had galloped off into the nearby woods, never to be seen or heard from again. I am ChrisNoF4i, and I am friend to the pit bull.

0 Not allowed!
    Support the Troops! (Except for Mondo, that guy's a dick)
    -----------------------------------------------------

So after creating this thread asking for advice on this breed I ended up moving to San Francisco after I graduated. Here in San Fran there is a pit problem with lots of back yard breeders etc etc. Shelters are full of them. So after getting settled in here, I decided to find a dog to adopt.

Finally connected with one, and shes such a sweet dog. Shes a bit underweight, you can see her ribs and her spine. Also had some sores on her paws and a cut on her tail. But shes happy now sleeping with my two cats and exploring the urban jungle.

Heres Hailey! shes not full pit, shes got some boxer, mastiff, and shar pei in her

Just wanted to thank all those who gave legitimate advice, tips, pointers etc.

0 Not allowed!
    Tuono

i'm glad you found yourself a beautiful dog. almost a dead ringer for ours-look like they could almost be sisters. Liberty is a pit-rotty mix and goes about 100lbs. had her since she was about 3 months old and got her a few days after 9/11/2001. she's the most loyal and lovable dog i've ever owned and she protects the kids like they were her own. the other dog, Justice, is a sheperd/collie mix. we got her about a year later from a shelter in new york. dogs truely are mans best friend. the pic was taken this morning-the 12" of snow predicted over the past 2 days has become about 2 feet overnight!

later odieoh24

0 Not allowed!

I was bit by a pitbull 4 years ago. The dog belongs to my sister's boyfriend. I wasn't the first person it's bit and I'm sure I won't be the last. Until months ago, I was terrified of them.

Then, when I went to my boyfriend's house for the first time, this 70lb knot of muscle came barreling out of the house and almost gave me a heart attack.

His name is Saulo and he was almost a deal breaker. Then, when we started talking about moving in together, I was convinced he was going to eat my 5lb chihuahua. As you can see, he's vicious with her.

He's also vicious with other animals.

The stork actually had Saulo's head in its mouth for a good minute and the big retard just stood there.

Oh, and I'm still DEATHLY afraid of him!

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by ThisBitch; 01-03-10 at 02:23 PM.
    Original

Its the owner, not the dog. My brother was bit my a vicious cocker spaniel, I know a kid who has no ears thanks to a Dalmatian. Don't be ignorant

0 Not allowed!
    Original

Quote Originally Posted by jnm988 View Post
    Its the owner, not the dog. My brother was bit my a vicious cocker spaniel, I know a kid who has no ears thanks to a Dalmatian. Don't be ignorant

i'm with dat bitch

0 Not allowed!

I couldnt agree with that statement more. But, i do believe that far to many people get Pits due to there givin reputation.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriousR1 View Post
    I couldnt agree with that statement more. But, i do believe that far to many people get Pits due to there givin reputation.
    A reputation given to them by irresponsible owners. Shit, my husky could catch a bird mid-flight 6 feet in the air and all that would be left were feathers and feet. Never once did I think she would bite me. If you allow any dog to develop bad habits and then encourage those bad habits, it will be vicious. Chihuahuas can be mean little fuckers too, they just lack the strength to cause the damage that pits and other bigger dogs do.

0 Not allowed!
    Original

This is him smiling after repeatedly farting in my bed.

Do all pits have awful gas?

0 Not allowed!
    Original

Jackie, your boy there is adorable. Can't beat a pit.

I was nervous about introducing my pit Rai to my daughter due to him being around longer than her, didn't know how he would react with me always having to give her attention. Then the first time I introduced them together he gently sniffed her, looked at me, looked back at her and gave her gentle kisses on her hands. Ever since then any time she is in the same house as him he won't leave her side and if she makes a noise or moves he is up checking on her. It's actually really cute. Give it a year or two and she will probably be riding on his back.

I will never love a breed of dogs like a do pits, there is just something about 'em.

0 Not allowed!

Ajay
    My Facebook-add me

"The things in life you regret are the risks you never took"

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    ....There is nothing but love and tent pitching at the BoMo days....

Do all pits have awful gas?
    it's not the breed but what they ate hours prior. if it's something new to what they normally eat then they will most likely get gassy. all dogs gets it every now & then unless of course they have something more serious in their bowels

0 Not allowed!

just put a down payment on this little guy...his name is going to be Brewski...like Tedi Bruschi but spelled different ...the breeder had a couple left (as of June 20th)...if anyone is interested just let me know

with his brothers and sisters

with his brothers and sisters and mommy

1 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Lifer

Pit bulls are awesome. Great dogs.

0 Not allowed!

I've been taken my new dog to the daycare couple times a week to get him acclimated and used to other dogs. The lady who runs the daycare saw him and said, "What a cute little pocket pittie". I said, no he's a beagle boxer mix. She laughed and said "ok". My wife binged pitbulls and parolees this weekend. I think my wife's new dog is mostly pitbull, but little. I'm ok with that, I just don't tell anyone (except for the 1000's on open anonymous forums), people just have too many preconceived notions.

2 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678