Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Podcasts

Podcasts

i have a 45-60 min drive to/from work each day and want to listen to something new on the ride...typically listen to sports radio or music...was thinking of getting into some podcasts but i've never listened to them before and not positive how it all works just yet but i popped onto the podcast app on my iphone 8 and looked up bill burr, joe rogan, steven crowder and ben shapiro and subscribed to those...do you typically have to download them to listen and then delete?...is there a better app to use to listen to them?...any podcast suggestions to check out?

0 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Re: Podcasts

Joe Rogan is great. I've only listened to Bill Burr comedy. I just use the stock apple podcast app.

1 Not allowed!

Bradley Jay, formerly of BCN.

1 Not allowed!
    I supported Savs hobby and all I got is this lousy t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    Joe Rogan is great. I've only listened to Bill Burr comedy. I just use the stock apple podcast app.
    thanks...just getting into it to pass the time while driving...i assume the apple app with do enough for my needs

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Bradley Jay, formerly of BCN.
    thanks...is his show called jay talking?

0 Not allowed!

Stay tuned with Preet Bharara.
    Although, with some of your choices listed above, this one might not be for you.

1 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Stay tuned with Preet Bharara.
    Although, with some of your choices listed above, this one might not be for you.
    i'll give anything a shot...if i don't like it i just don't listen

0 Not allowed!

Hidden Brain, Invisibilia and Planet Money.

But as Chip alluded, if you are into Joe Rogan, you probably won't like any of those.

1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Radiolab. You're welcome.

I also second Hidden Brain and Invisibilia ^^^

1 Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

Hah, it wasn't the Joe Rogan one that got me, it was the Ben Shapiro name I took note of. Left, right or center, that kid is a sniveling shit. Joe Rogan will talk to anyone under the sun, which I kind of have to credit him for.

Planet money is interesting, but they do a lot of re-runs and sometimes they just have too many episodes for my life. I essentially just listen to last night's news in the morning (thats on after my old man bed time), and press for the most part. Although his personal leanings are to the left, he does a good job of being neutral and taking you through his interview, which is always very current with what's going on in the world.
    This morning he has Nicole Wallace on..Someone I expect to give no fucks about (her and her buddy Steve Schmidt can take a leap, really). Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    thanks...is his show called jay talking?
    Yes

1 Not allowed!
    I supported Savs hobby and all I got is this lousy t-shirt.

Not a podcast, but NPR One is a great app to use to catch up on news. I believe you can listen to the NPR podcasts through it also.

Freakonomics
    TED Radio Hour
    Work Life Balance (not sure how this one is long term, listened to the first two)

1 Not allowed!

Lifer

do you typically have to download them to listen and then delete?
    You don't have to download, but to keep data usage down, you want to. 100MB per JRE podcast is about average for example. 'Adding' a podcast isn't the same as downloading. That's just saving it, like a bookmark. Tap the little cloud-shaped icon to download it and you should see a circular download progress symbol appear. The app will default automatically delete after you finish listening. Also, if I remember right when you 'subscribe', it will have default settings to download the latest episodes that come out automatically. You may not want to keep that setting depending on what your patterns become.

The podcast app unfortunately must have been designed by the same people who do the iTunes UI. It's an area that needs a lot of improvement. I still use it, but it took a bit to figure it out.

I like Rogan's, but I skip any of the MMA guys (not a fan) and the pseudo-science people he has on. I hate to pass on opportunities for new ideas, but his 'whoa bro, like space n shit' combined with 'so I was reading this article, Brian, bring up that article, and it says like if you eat this one tree root that grows on the Amazon River, you get super powers.' gets old and frustrating. He's funny though, and has some very interesting interviews too.

If you like cars and the casual-chat style show, The Smoking Tire is good.

1 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    You don't have to download, but to keep data usage down, you want to. 100MB per JRE podcast is about average for example. 'Adding' a podcast isn't the same as downloading. That's just saving it, like a bookmark. Tap the little cloud-shaped icon to download it and you should see a circular download progress symbol appear. The app will default automatically delete after you finish listening. Also, if I remember right when you 'subscribe', it will have default settings to download the latest episodes that come out automatically. You may not want to keep that setting depending on what your patterns become.

The podcast app unfortunately must have been designed by the same people who do the iTunes UI. It's an area that needs a lot of improvement. I still use it, but it took a bit to figure it out.

I like Rogan's, but I skip any of the MMA guys (not a fan) and the pseudo-science people he has on. I hate to pass on opportunities for new ideas, but his 'whoa bro, like space n shit' combined with 'so I was reading this article, Brian, bring up that article, and it says like if you eat this one tree root that grows on the Amazon River, you get super powers.' gets old and frustrating. He's funny though, and has some very interesting interviews too.

If you like cars and the casual-chat style show, The Smoking Tire is good.
    thanks...this clears up the app usage a ton...i was wondering why it was downloading them right away...i just wanted to subscribe to some channels so i could choose which episodes i want to listen to...changed that setting and deleted all the episodes that were auto-downloaded

thanks fellas...keep em coming...i'm subscribing to them all and will download some here and there to check them out...wow some of these things are long!

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 09-27-18 at 09:02 AM.

How I Built This with Guy Raz.

3 Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Hidden Brain, Invisibilia and Planet Money.

But as Chip alluded, if you are into Joe Rogan, you probably won't like any of those.
    Seasons 1 & 2 of Invisibilia were pretty amazing. Didn't dig 3 & 4 as much which bummed me out.

If you like progressive politics there's a small time podcast called Mass for Shut-ins - dude's awesome.

Also can recommend the very popular Serial and S-Town.

1 Not allowed!

Here are some of the few that can keep my interest piqued on long drives. I really need to check out OG podcaster Joe Rogan, though. As for apps, I use Overcast on iOS.

General interest / interviews:
    Tim Ferriss Show
    Radiolab
    The Moth

Special Interest:
    Target USA (national security, counterterrorism)
    Ben Shapiro Show

Music:
    Beyond Yacht Rock

Surreal / Paranormal / Dark Comedy:
    Welcome to Nightvale
    Frightday

Absurd Comedy:
    Pounded In The Butt By My Own Podcast

Motorcycling:
    Riding In The Zone (by Ken Condon)

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by curiouser; 09-27-18 at 09:42 AM.
    2004 SV650S

S-Town was awesome..ly weird.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

this is great!...so many to check out...should make sitting in traffic in providence a little less sh!tty...although depending on length i may have to download at home first to have them ready to go

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

this is great!...so many to check out...should make sitting in traffic in providence a little less sh!tty...although depending on length i may have to download at home first to have them ready to go
    I think I have 10-15 downloaded on my phone right now. A few times a month I download a bunch in the evening, then queue them up to mix up the order.

You might also like audiobooks. Like Audible. Similar concept - stream, or download on wifi and play later.

1 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

For the nerds who like Radiolab/Invisibilia, you might enjoy More Perfect. From the creators of Radiolab, it's a look into the Supreme Court, how it functions, landmark cases, the moral questions various rulings raise, etc. This season (3) it delves into each amendment, what they mean and the impact they have on us.

0 Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

Hardcore History by Dan Carlin : plenty of 5 hour episodes. Very well researched and well narrated

0 Not allowed!

Using the Pocast app, listen to:

CarTalk (remixed)
    Innovation Hub
    Freakonomics
    Planet Money
    The Moth (spoken stories)
    Your Health
    The Spear
    Science Friday

,,, And others mentioned.

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

0 Not allowed!

Plenty of good suggestions here for podcasts. I had the same thought as you a year or two when i got rid of Sirius and never looked back. Start poking around and there is plenty of content to keep you going, whatever interests you have. If anything like me, you will find that some podcasts, though good just have way too much content (rogan) and after a while of a single podcast, switching to something else is nice. I listen do it selectively but its too much to subscribe to.

I use the app overcast. I found it to have a few extra options that i like. Speeding up the podcast to 1.4x and "smart speed" to cut out silence is nice to get through some podcasts. I have them set to download when on WiFi (so home) and I've pretty much have it dialed in where i get enough content to keep myself going without much backlog or deleting. Kind of hard to go wrong. I forget why i left the apple app but there was an iOS update at one point that removed a function i used, but that was a while ago now.

1 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast