Any pointers for applying Fluid Film?

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Any pointers for applying Fluid Film?

Never messed with the stuff, so looking for tips and tricks.

I have a 2008 Tundra that I bought about a year ago from upstate NY. It's really clean for its age (hence why I bought it), but it's lived 10 years in the Northeast, so it's got some spots. I think/hope this will be the last truck I buy for a long time, so I want to help it last. My plan was to throw it up on jack stands and pull all four wheels. I was going to do a lap around the frame with a wire brush and black primer for the flaky spots, and another lap with the Fluid Film. Seems straightforward enough - just spray it everywhere, right? Assuming I should avoid the brakes and exhaust and try hit everything else? Frame, rockers, fuel/brake lines, springs, hardware, brackets....all fair game? Any special precautions? Can I get this stuff on my lawn, driveway, clothes? What else should I be spraying while I've got it all set up?

The only tip I've heard is to warm it up a little before spraying it to help it flow better.

I'll probably do this in the next week or two. If it goes well, I'll also do my wife's car. Maybe not...that's her problem.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Re: Any pointers for applying Fluid Film?

It's all natural, or at least not so toxic, so spraying it on shouldn't be a worry.

As for painting rust before spraying it on, I wouldn't. The paint will just block the FF from getting into the rust where it will help stop it. The paint will just flake off the rust and take the FF with it. You can spray everything with it except brake pads and rotors. You can spray the battery terminals, keep it off the radiator, limit exposure on exhaust it stinks.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar
    iTrader Score

Sounds like you got it. I buy it in gallon cans and have used a pressure feed gun to spray it in the past. I'm going to try an old Wagner power painter this year, I hear they are better for applying FF. It's pretty harmless stuff, but I'd put down a tarp is spraying over pavement. I doubt it'll harm grass, but I'd tarp my grass too, just in case. When I spray it, I also pull any rubber/plastic plugs and spray it in any crevice I can reach. Buy a rattle can or two and use the skinny red tube for really tight areas.

0 Not allowed!

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

I may be mistaken but don't the Toyota frames typically rust from the inside out? If so make sure you can spray the insides of the frame rails and anything else that may rust inside out. Try not to plug any drain holes with excess material or material mixed with dirt etc. to make a sludge.

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS NV #300

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    I may be mistaken but don't the Toyota frames typically rust from the inside out? If so make sure you can spray the insides of the frame rails and anything else that may rust inside out. Try not to plug any drain holes with excess material or material mixed with dirt etc. to make a sludge.
    Yeah I believe they do. I think mine is boxed at the front (forward of the firewall) and C from there back. Even at the front there are plenty of access holes in it.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

We use Boeshield under the hood and on Bikes, snow throwers, etc.

Boeshield T-9(R) | Corrosion Protection and Waterproof Lubrication

0 Not allowed!
    WR250R | TW200 | Tiger 1050 ABS | CRF100F | R90/6

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott

iTrader Score

I expect Boeshield is much better than Fluid Film given is over 2X the cost.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

If you plan on painting anything dont get fluid film on it....

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

I buy it by the gallon and apply it with a Wagner power sprayer, no thinning or warming up required. I go under the truck and blast it everywhere.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ADA929 View Post
    I buy it by the gallon and apply it with a Wagner power sprayer, no thinning or warming up required. I go under the truck and blast it everywhere.
    Interesting.. I happen to have a wagner power sprayer.. which is unilaterally useless for spraying paint. (Ask me how I know.)
    I also have an expensive as sin truck that I'd like to see not rust.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I expect Boeshield is much better than Fluid Film given is over 2X the cost.
    It's different stuff, in my opinion more durable.

We also use Birchwood Casey Sheath, a gun product that provides a thin protective oil coat that doesn't evaporate or run.

People swear by CorrosionX and Compound L but I have never used them.

0 Not allowed!
    WR250R | TW200 | Tiger 1050 ABS | CRF100F | R90/6

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott