Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Portable Car GPS w/Traffic

Portable Car GPS w/Traffic

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Look on eBay for a replacement cable, lots of cheap used GPS stuff there.
    Iíve been burnt on there before buying a replacement antenna for my old Garmin and I couldnít activate it cause Garmin didnít support it...they come with a subscription so Iíd rather buy it from a legit source

Still on the fence whether to buy a new cable for the old Garmin...buy a cheaper garmin with traffic or buy a high end garmin with all the bells and whistles...the high end ones the traffic subscription is built in...so if your traffic stops working you need to buy a $70 antenna to replace the on board antenna in the unit...not sure I want to replace the antenna on my current garmin since itís older

I guess what I really want to know is what is the comparison of traffic data from a low end garmin with a gtm 36 antenna/cable vs a high end garmin with traffic built into the unit vs a high end garmin with a gtm 60 hd antenna/cable...if the data info is all coming from the same company (which Iím not sure of) then it comes down to the reception of the different antennas...I have also heard of some of them using traffic data from a garmin app over Bluetooth but Iím not sure which unit(s) do this...very confusing cause their website sucks for information...I like the idea of the high end one with the front traffic camera but Iím not sure of the quality and if it has all the bells and whistles thatís more stuff to go wrong/break vs just a basic one...and Iím not really looking to put a separate traffic cam in since I already have enough wires in my car and Iíd rather not have to get into spending the time wiring a traffic cam into the car...it would just be a bonus feature I would like to have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 11-01-19 at 05:31 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Re: Portable Car GPS w/Traffic

I have to think there are different sources of traffic signals, or some receivers are better at receiving. My Tundra has a traffic app which works off of HD radio, it is rarely up to date and accurate. It would seem that traffic has to be shut down for a while before it registers. Where as Google Drive and Waze is much more up to date.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    Where as Google Drive and Waze is much more up to date.
    Those are using everyone's phone as a real-time data point. Earlier traffic systems used sensors in the pavement (like stop lights use) and overhead radar. I don't think your Tundra's system has the ability to provide data. Pretty sure it's only a receiver.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_message_channel

We had it on several vehicles, and find Waze / Google Maps much more timely.

0 Not allowed!

Old article...
    https://itstillworks.com/accurate-ga...fic-18647.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

I love Waze, and when it crashes once in a while and I have to run Google I lose my mind. I like having everything in one location and for me integration is also key. Nav at a quick touch of a button.

That said, buy yourself something like this and simplify your wiring. One access point will power everything you need in your car and you can run wires to a central location for a cleaner look. I run a minimum of 4 hungry apps, including Wazefor hours a day and the strip can still charge my phone. I just replaced a Galaxy S7 that I ran like this for 2 1/2 years and it wasn't for a battery issue.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A71WY91WWGV36V

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 11-05-19 at 01:44 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Most of our cars have Apple CarPlay, so you can run everything via voice or touch screen. Pretty slick.

Pretty nifty.

0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12