Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Let's have a positive thread

Let's have a positive thread

In light of the season and all the crap going on in the world, let's have a thread where you tell a story about something selfless you've done. For example, last year at this time my wife and I were at No. 9 Park in Boston. It's a really nice restaurant, with very tight quarters. We were seated, then an elderly couple came and sat at a table right next to us. My wife instantly engaged with them, as she is prone to do! He was celebrating his 80th birthday and she was celebrating 5 years cancer-free. They had taken the T in from Revere, so we figured this dinner was an extravagance for them. On the side, I told our waitress we would like to buy them an after-dinner drink. "They're not drinking anything" she responded. I looked over at the couple and my wife talking, and told her we would pick up their full tab.

When we were leaving they asked us to hold up. They could not have been more gracious, a simple "thank you" was all. No exchanging contact info or promises to repay us. We hugged and were on our way.

7 Not allowed!

Re: Let's have a positive thread

Fuck that!

3 Not allowed!

12 Ducati Multi, 17 Husky FS450, 15 KX450F sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF

LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Easy

6 years ago I spent a week in Quantico VA at a USMC program for college faculty. One evening after a day in the field, we had a reception and dinner with the young men and women in OCS. It was the only day they were allowed to be with us civilians. There were probably 20 faculty and 20 to 25 uniformed personnel. Earlier in the day I had met two of the young people at lunch, both were from Mass. the reception room was basically a simple hall with an impromptu cash beer bar.

My experience that faculty, especially lifelong faculty are the cheapest people on earth was quickly confirmed.

I walked over to the bar with the two young marines and offered to buy them a beer, they declined so I gave the bartender a wad of cash and told him no one in uniform pays for a beer and send one to me if the cash runs out.

No fuss or announcement but every one made a point of quietly saying thank you to which I reminded them that next week I’d be on vacation with not a care in the world because of what they do.

The beer was cheap, it might have ended up at $200 but they’re not rolling in cash in OCS

3 Not allowed!

Selflessness becomes self congratulatory once you start telling people about it.
    In the spirit of positivity I leave you with this:

3 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

It's not selfless, because I enjoy it, but when we get snow storms I like to drive around in my TJ and rescue people who are stuck. Last storm a couple weeks ago I found two on my way home from work and got them out of predicaments. I always tell them to just pay it forward and help others who are stranded on the road. My favorite rescue was a few years ago in Arizona where an older guy hunting for scrap in the desert took his old F-350 a little too close to the edge of a wash and the tires slipped down in. I didn't have my tow strap, but he had a chain and after some strategic planning my little Jeep got the heavy ass truck out.

A lot of people have helped me in shitty predicaments through the years, so it feels good to give back to others who need it. It's so awesome to see how happy it makes people when they are in a bind and you get them on their way home.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Selflessness becomes self congratulatory once you start telling people about it.
    In the spirit of positivity I leave you with this:
    So youíre leaving? GFY before you do.

0 Not allowed!

I was on a guns forum when a Glock enthusiast started talking about using rotella in his bike. Then a 1911 fan said he was stupid and should only use bike specific oils. So I headed to a political discussion board. A trump supporter said only inline four liter bikes are for men while a liberal left guy said anything more than an SV is a waste of power.

Mine wasn’t really selfless but as a relative has been getting several blood transfusions and I noticed her blood type is the same as mine and most of the blood came from out of the local region I started donating again.

2 Not allowed!
    2013 ZX6R-636

I’m sure there are a lot of folks here who have done a ton of selfless things and would never talk about it.

Douchebag non carborundum est

1 Not allowed!

This thread is going exactly in the direction as a conventional NESR goes in

As you were

2 Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke ** 2001 Suzuki GSX1300R Busa ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

Quote Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
    So you’re leaving? GFY before you do.
    Eh?? I got that pma.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I sit here gladly knowing that on the way to work this morning I didn't tuck that asshole in the mini into the guardrail when he cut me off. I simply waived and said Merry Christmas, and went on my way.

2 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

I was on a tinder date like a year and change ago. Cuz I'm a classy guy, we're brown bagging beers in a park. As we're walking back to where we parked our cars, there's this car driving down the wrong way of Main St with the door open. I looked at her and I was like, "uhh, don't think there's anyone in there." She just shrugs. Fuck that noise, that mafukah was heading right toward a granite curb and a decorative street light. I'm pretty sure whoever is driving a 1994 Acura Legend probably doesn't have the insurance to pay for a fucking $1,500 pole and a $900 light fixture, so when the car got a little bit closer, I ran up and jumped in, pulled it into a parking spot and threw it in park (keys still in it). This dude is like drunk man power walking down the street with one shoe on. I get out of the car with a "hey man, is this yours?" He PCP looks right through me and just jumps in and speeds off. No thank you, no acknowledgement. Turns out he had originally gotten out of his car up the road a little bit so he could talk shit to a group of people, then his car had side swiped like three others. Cops were called and all that. Oh well, what're you gonna do?

Best part? Got ghosted.

4 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by ilikenapalm View Post
    I was on a tinder date like a year and change ago. Cuz I'm a classy guy, we're brown bagging beers in a park. As we're walking back to where we parked our cars, there's this car driving down the wrong way of Main St with the door open. I looked at her and I was like, "uhh, don't think there's anyone in there." She just shrugs. Fuck that noise, that mafukah was heading right toward a granite curb and a decorative street light. I'm pretty sure whoever is driving a 1994 Acura Legend probably doesn't have the insurance to pay for a fucking $1,500 pole and a $900 light fixture, so when the car got a little bit closer, I ran up and jumped in, pulled it into a parking spot and threw it in park (keys still in it). This dude is like drunk man power walking down the street with one shoe on. I get out of the car with a "hey man, is this yours?" He PCP looks right through me and just jumps in and speeds off. No thank you, no acknowledgement. Turns out he had originally gotten out of his car up the road a little bit so he could talk shit to a group of people, then his car had side swiped like three others. Cops were called and all that. Oh well, what're you gonna do?

Best part? Got ghosted.
    I want an Acura Legend. Mostly because I thought Manson sang about them in The Golden Age Of Grotesque, but it’s actually Sacrilegends.

0 Not allowed!

Walking down the street in town the other day, I found a set of keys on the ground. picking them up i looked around to see a women franticly looking in her bag for something. I walk over and said are theses yours holding the keys out for her to see. She grab them like I had stole them from her. She turned to open her car and said thanks without even looking at me.. I just walked away.... happy to have helped..

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by MUZ720; 12-10-18 at 09:15 AM.

Fucking sweet. I've really missed humblebragging since Sav stopped doing race reports

3 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Fucking sweet. I've really missed humblebragging since Sav stopped doing race reports
    This tells me you have at least some people on ignore.

1 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    //The beer was cheap, it might have ended up at $200 but they’re not rolling in cash in OCS
    Unless they are a higher rank from prior service, Officer Candidates are promoted to E5 when they enter the program. Currently $2333 a month. They have to buy uniforms as officers, which can be hundreds to thousands of dollars. USMC Officers typically buy a sword as well. So they have to save their $$. They do not start making officer pay until graduation, which would start at $3,107 a month.

I joined the Army in 1981. This was less than 10 years after we pulled out of Vietnam and there was still a lot of anti-military sentiment. We met the Recruiter at the Denny’s in Danvers for breakfast before he drove us is in to Army Pier. When he went to pay the bill, some unknown customer had already paid it and ai thought to myself “Whoa, that’s a change!”

Went to OCS a year later, and the movie “An Officer And A Gentlemen” came out while I was in the course. That was one of the first movies to portray the military in a positive light in years. We got a pass right before graduation and attended an outdoor Atlanta Rythm Section concert in Atlanta. As word spread around us of our OCS candidate status, all kinds of people came up to us to congratulate us, gave us food and wine, and even introduced us to several daughters. Big change after being ground down for 15 weeks as know-nothings.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 12-10-18 at 12:12 PM.
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Dic on

fed my cats this morning....again.

5 Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Hey! I didn’t stop writing race reports... I stopped racing... sigh

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Hey! I didn’t stop writing race reports... I stopped racing... sigh
    One little crash overseas and...

0 Not allowed!

12 Ducati Multi, 17 Husky FS450, 15 KX450F sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF

LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

I selflessly bring my wife to the "dick drunk" level of satisfaction.

3 Not allowed!

I didnít make a stink yesterday when I got bumped at the cath lab by an active heart attack patient. I waited six hours for my turn. Of course I am being facetious but my 10:00 became a 4:00 due to me being stable and others not being.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    I didn’t make a stink yesterday when I got bumped at the cath lab by an active heart attack patient. I waited six hours for my turn. Of course I am being facetious but my 10:00 became a 4:00 due to me being stable and others not being.
    Fuck me running, good luck with that ticker.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Fuck me running, good luck with that ticker.
    Thanks man. Heart attack number two but this time they found the artery and stented a 90% blockage. Heart attack #1 got me a new 636 five years ago. This one will probably net me a new set of tires lol.

3 Not allowed!
    Last edited by backinthesaddle; 12-11-18 at 07:01 PM.
    2013 ZX6R-636

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast