Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 44 of 44

Let's have a positive thread

  1. #26
    Lifer Tekime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Falmouth, ME
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,194

    Re: Let's have a positive thread


    Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    Thanks man. Heart attack number two but this time they found the artery and stented a 90% blockage. Heart attack #1 got me a new 636 five years ago. This one will probably net me a new set of tires lol.
    Dang man. Hang tough. My uncle has had probably near a dozen heart attacks over the last few decades. Just won't give up his carefree lifestyle even though he's pushing 70 and missing a leg. Dude even got a scooter recently and almost immediately got run over, broke a femur and a bunch of other stuff. Maybe the secret is having a girlfriend half your age? I have a weird family. Anyway, I was going somewhere with this... the human body is remarkable. Hope that's the last one for good.

    I won't share a story about myself, but one "small" act that really stayed with me happened about 9 years ago. My daughter had some rough years in the beginning fighting epilepsy, and things got really bad for a while. Her old neurologist was kind of an overworked, disengaged older guy who we barely saw in person despite her being in and out of the ER dozens of times over years. Anyway, this one particular night we were in the ICU when things were pretty much at the absolute worst, intractable seizures for almost two hours and we had to paralyze our baby to be transported to Boston Children's as Maine med had just given up hope. Her neuro was nowhere to be found, the ER doctors had no idea what to do and were just throwing every med in the book at her. It was the dead of night (12, 1a? ) and my wife and I were feeling more helpless and alone than ever, not a familiar face to be seen, and out of nowhere our daughter's primary physician showed up in the ICU. She was always a very caring and wonderful doctor, but somehow she caught wind of what was happening, took the initiative to get out of bed in the middle of the night, drive to the hospital 45 mins away, hunt us down, and just sat with us for the several hours it took to get our kiddo loaded up in the ambulance. It was one of the kindest, most selfless acts I have ever experienced in my life. Such a simple thing - just to be there for somebody because you genuinely care and with no obligation to do so at all. Thankfully things started to get a lot better after a few years for my daughter, and there were a lot of great people that contributed to that, but it was one of those few moments that stuck with me and gave me some hope for humanity.

    3 Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

  2. #27
    Lifer backinthesaddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Valley of Hope, Rhode Island
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,444

    Re: Let's have a positive thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    Dang man. Hang tough. My uncle has had probably near a dozen heart attacks over the last few decades. Just won't give up his carefree lifestyle even though he's pushing 70 and missing a leg. Dude even got a scooter recently and almost immediately got run over, broke a femur and a bunch of other stuff. Maybe the secret is having a girlfriend half your age? I have a weird family. Anyway, I was going somewhere with this... the human body is remarkable. Hope that's the last one for good.

    I won't share a story about myself, but one "small" act that really stayed with me happened about 9 years ago. My daughter had some rough years in the beginning fighting epilepsy, and things got really bad for a while. Her old neurologist was kind of an overworked, disengaged older guy who we barely saw in person despite her being in and out of the ER dozens of times over years. Anyway, this one particular night we were in the ICU when things were pretty much at the absolute worst, intractable seizures for almost two hours and we had to paralyze our baby to be transported to Boston Children's as Maine med had just given up hope. Her neuro was nowhere to be found, the ER doctors had no idea what to do and were just throwing every med in the book at her. It was the dead of night (12, 1a? ) and my wife and I were feeling more helpless and alone than ever, not a familiar face to be seen, and out of nowhere our daughter's primary physician showed up in the ICU. She was always a very caring and wonderful doctor, but somehow she caught wind of what was happening, took the initiative to get out of bed in the middle of the night, drive to the hospital 45 mins away, hunt us down, and just sat with us for the several hours it took to get our kiddo loaded up in the ambulance. It was one of the kindest, most selfless acts I have ever experienced in my life. Such a simple thing - just to be there for somebody because you genuinely care and with no obligation to do so at all. Thankfully things started to get a lot better after a few years for my daughter, and there were a lot of great people that contributed to that, but it was one of those few moments that stuck with me and gave me some hope for humanity.
    Thanks - your uncle sounds like one hell of a character/positive guy!

    Sorry to hear about your child. My younger son has had a seizure disorder since about age 4. Not as severe as your child's, but still a history of focal seizures and grand mal seizures, but I can relate to the stresses of being in a hospital in the late night / early morning hours rolling through a dark hallway on way to the MRI machine without knowing anyone there. That's great of her primary to make the trip down from Maine. How many doctors would get out of bed to be there for your family, that is totally selfless.

    0 Not allowed!
    2013 ZX6R-636

  3. #28
    Lifer Tekime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Falmouth, ME
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,194

    Re: Let's have a positive thread

    Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    Thanks - your uncle sounds like one hell of a character/positive guy!

    Sorry to hear about your child. My younger son has had a seizure disorder since about age 4. Not as severe as your child's, but still a history of focal seizures and grand mal seizures, but I can relate to the stresses of being in a hospital in the late night / early morning hours rolling through a dark hallway on way to the MRI machine without knowing anyone there. That's great of her primary to make the trip down from Maine. How many doctors would get out of bed to be there for your family, that is totally selfless.
    That is tough, sorry to hear that. We're really the lucky ones - she had a hell of a time through age 5/6, but it's been a few years since an episode.

    When we're talking focal/partial seizures it's so much more common than people realize. And yes, her doc is one of the good ones!

    Yeah, uncle is something else - gave me my first beer, taught me how to use a switchblade, and used to chop 2x4's with his bare hands to entertain us (and that was just in grade school )

    0 Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

  4. #29
    Lifer backinthesaddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Valley of Hope, Rhode Island
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,444

    Re: Let's have a positive thread

    Yeah nothing like getting used to the focal and then the grand mal comes unexpectedly at a later date.

    0 Not allowed!
    2013 ZX6R-636

  5. #30
    Super Moderator OreoGaborio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Danvers, MA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    36,666

    Re: Let's have a positive thread

    Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Fucking sweet. I've really missed humblebragging since Sav stopped doing race reports
    Eh, I'd rather read humblebragging than whineycunting.

    (No, this is not me passively aggressively saying you do a lot of whineycunting..... although you DO tend to do a fair amount of cunting. I mean, usually it's funny cunting... but other times it's just regular cunting.)



    My feel good story for the day: Yesterday & today I hired two people and got em both fairly big raises. They weren't making all that much before but I convinced the client start them both a buck an hour over the advertised starting rate so it's a bigger jump than either of them expected. They were both pretty pumped about it when I gave them the good news. Made me feel all warm n fuzzy inside n shit.

    Merry Christmas, new hires..... NOW DON'T PROVE ME WRONG, YA LITTLE SHITS!

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by OreoGaborio; 12-13-18 at 08:31 PM.
    -Pete LRRS/CCS #82 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays, Ironstone Ventures
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

    The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650

  6. #31
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,037

    Re: Let's have a positive thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OreoGaborio View Post
    Eh, I'd rather read humblebragging than whineycunting.

    (No, this is not me passively aggressively saying you do a lot of whineycunting..... although you DO tend to do a fair amount of cunting. I mean, usually it's funny cunting... but other times it's just regular cunting.)



    My feel good story for the day: Yesterday & today I hired two people and got em both fairly big raises. They weren't making all that much before but I convinced the client start them both a buck an hour over the advertised starting rate so it's a bigger jump than either of them expected. They were both pretty pumped about it when I gave them the good news. Made me feel all warm n fuzzy inside n shit.

    Merry Christmas, new hires..... NOW DON'T PROVE ME WRONG, YA LITTLE SHITS!
    Just don’t call fake bead locks real bead locks.

    Yes, I am a cunt. But there are always New Years resolutions! So maybe 1/1-1/3 I will not he cunty

    0 Not allowed!

  7. #32
    Super Moderator OreoGaborio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Danvers, MA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    36,666

    Re: Let's have a positive thread

    Eh, I was really talkin to Duncan, but whudevs.

    0 Not allowed!
    -Pete LRRS/CCS #82 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays, Ironstone Ventures
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

    The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650

  8. #33
    Lifer loudbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,340

    Re: Let's have a positive thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OreoGaborio View Post
    although you DO tend to do a fair amount of cunting. I mean, usually it's funny cunting... but other times it's just regular cunting.
    Even the best hitters don't bat 1.000

    0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

  9. #34
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    19,422

    Re: Let's have a positive thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OreoGaborio View Post
    Eh, I was really talkin to Duncan, but whudevs.
    He changed his name, it's just Donuts now.

    3 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  10. #35
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    66
    Posts
    12,779

    Re: Let's have a positive thread


    0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  11. #36
    Lifer loudbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,340

    Re: Let's have a positive thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    He changed his name, it's just Donuts now.
    I've been thinking of changing my name anyway. I have a staff of 30, mostly from South America. They've been calling me "Dunking" or "Dunkee" enough lately I might as well properly get on board.

    0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

  12. #37
    WMC original sdog30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Burgy
    Age
    43
    Posts
    2,605

    Re: Let's have a positive thread

    Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Even the best hitters don't bat 1.000
    So you're an expert on baseball, now?

    1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by sdog30; 12-14-18 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Grammar nazis

    12 Ducati Multi, 17 Husky FS450, 15 KX450F sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF

    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

  13. #38
    Lifer oVTo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    North of Boston
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,197

    Re: Let's have a positive thread

    WBUR's Kind World - Kind World

    0 Not allowed!
    DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

  14. #39
    Lifer Tekime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Falmouth, ME
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,194

    Re: Let's have a positive thread

    Going into the store last night and a guy was stuck on completely 100% flat ground. Spinning his tires hopelessly trying to back out of a parking spot. In an F150.

    Gave him a mighty push and got him out. But the true altruism was not teasing him for his RWD pickup with zero weight in the bed.

    He was embarrassed enough as it was, and very thankful.

    0 Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

  15. #40
    Lifer obsolete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norf Sho
    Age
    38
    Posts
    10,979

    Re: Let's have a positive thread

    I haven't called anyone a cunt today.

    1 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

  16. #41
    Lifer loudbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,340

    Re: Let's have a positive thread

    Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    I haven't called anyone a cunt today.
    Update: 12:25, just called someone a cunt.

    1 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

  17. #42
    Lifer obsolete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norf Sho
    Age
    38
    Posts
    10,979

    Re: Let's have a positive thread

    You think it was that long?

    0 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

  18. #43
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,939

    Re: Let's have a positive thread

    Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    You think it was that long?
    what...the cunt?...like wizards sleeve

    0 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  19. #44
    Lifer obsolete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norf Sho
    Age
    38
    Posts
    10,979

    Re: Let's have a positive thread

    *I put on my robe and wizard hat

    0 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •