Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 64 of 64

project fi

  1. #51
    Lifer RyanNicholson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,346

    Re: project fi

    So here's a fun question... I didn't reread the thread though so it might have been answered.

    I'm VERY interested in swapping to Fi. Sick of paying a ton for unlimited data on VZW.. I'm at about $120/mo for unlimited plus financing the phone, though I don't mind just paying the phone off. I have an iPhone 7 which isn't supported. I just chatted with the live chat on the Fi site and they were actually willing to talk about it, and said I'd only have access to the T Mobile network (which is fine), and I'd lose visual voicemail (which I don't care about). I'd just have to activate a SIM card with an approved phone then put it in mine.

    Anybody done this? I've had VZW since I was about 16 with no issues beyond cost (they throttle hotspot data after 15 gigs too, but that's understandable) so I'm a little paranoid about switching.

    0 Not allowed!

  2. #52
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    18,920

    Re: project fi

    Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    yeah I dunno

    Project Fi bills:
    -$82.47
    -$82.55
    $62.47
    -$79.30
    -$83.97
    -$149.84
    -$90.29

    7 month average: $90.12

    6 month Excluding $149 outlier: $80.17

    I guess I'm just lifestyle inflated

    iphone has been intermittently twitchy...hitting backspace on the keyboard occasionally decides to be a rapid fire M or space...prob why it was a refurb. Battery life also isn't that great...battery protection mode by 2-3 o'clock at work (= hardly using it). Going to try a $26 battery case on amazon so I can go a full day at Disneyland or moto ride with GPS
    Or replace the battery. It's like $13. I just did mine.

    0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1986 Honda Oldwing Medicaide
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  3. #53
    Lifer RyanNicholson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,346

    Re: project fi

    Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    or moto ride with GPS
    Battery Tender USB adapter is like $10... add a charging cable/mount and ride for days. Works great for me, plus I can charge my bluetooth speaker with it while motocamping.

    0 Not allowed!

  4. #54

    Re: project fi

    hmm...also doesn't look very hard

    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+...lacement/29363

    okay I'm down...still cheaper than an technoenvy X

    edit: ordered ~$15 w' tools on amazon...reviews for the $20-$22 items state that it's the same tools in all the kits. So just get the cheapest one. Spent the day at home using browser/data and it would drop to 50% battery within 2-3 hours Reviews say the replacement battery does the trick, no prob.

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-18-18 at 08:42 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    2007 Suzuki DL650
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke
    instagram @cali2t

  5. #55

    Re: project fi

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    Battery Tender USB adapter is like $10... add a charging cable/mount and ride for days. Works great for me, plus I can charge my bluetooth speaker with it while motocamping.
    planning on adding this...but with a relay to the headlight...had too many dead battery situations with an EFI V Strom that I don't want anything else directly hooked up unless I unhook it after

    0 Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    2007 Suzuki DL650
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke
    instagram @cali2t

  6. #56

    Re: project fi

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    So here's a fun question... I didn't reread the thread though so it might have been answered.

    I'm VERY interested in swapping to Fi. Sick of paying a ton for unlimited data on VZW.. I'm at about $120/mo for unlimited plus financing the phone, though I don't mind just paying the phone off. I have an iPhone 7 which isn't supported. I just chatted with the live chat on the Fi site and they were actually willing to talk about it, and said I'd only have access to the T Mobile network (which is fine), and I'd lose visual voicemail (which I don't care about). I'd just have to activate a SIM card with an approved phone then put it in mine.

    Anybody done this? I've had VZW since I was about 16 with no issues beyond cost (they throttle hotspot data after 15 gigs too, but that's understandable) so I'm a little paranoid about switching.
    depends on how much data you use...if it's going to be a lot why not just go to Tmobile and use their unlimited plan?

    if you're a data heavy user, the pay-as-you-use setup for Project Fi can lead to some expensive monthly bills

    0 Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    2007 Suzuki DL650
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke
    instagram @cali2t

  7. #57
    Lifer RyanNicholson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,346

    Re: project fi

    Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    planning on adding this...but with a relay to the headlight...had too many dead battery situations with an EFI V Strom that I don't want anything else directly hooked up unless I unhook it after
    Makes sense. I just tend to unplug anything from it unless it needs charging while off the bike, and if somethings been charging a while keep an eye on the voltage meter. The Multi is a pain in the ass in many ways, super convenient/awesome in many others.

    0 Not allowed!

  8. #58
    Lifer RyanNicholson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,346

    Re: project fi

    Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    depends on how much data you use...if it's going to be a lot why not just go to Tmobile and use their unlimited plan?

    if you're a data heavy user, the pay-as-you-use setup for Project Fi can lead to some expensive monthly bills
    I used to be a heavy user but not so much anymore. One thing I like about VZW is I can up my plan while traveling, then drop it back when I'm not... I tend to do at least a mini vacation every six weeks or so (first world problem). Beyond that I'm on wifi at home or work 95% of the time.

    I got pissed when I forgot to up the plan while in VT during the Olympics and used it as a hotspot to watch some events online. That bill sucked.

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by RyanNicholson; 04-18-18 at 01:58 PM.

  9. #59
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    18,920

    Re: project fi

    Do either of you tend to go over 10Gb a month?

    0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1986 Honda Oldwing Medicaide
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  10. #60
    Lifer RyanNicholson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,346

    Re: project fi

    Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Do either of you tend to go over 10Gb a month?
    Maybe one or two months per year at this point, if that.

    0 Not allowed!

  11. #61
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    18,920

    Re: project fi

    Dude, just StraightTalk. $45 a month. Up to 10Gb at full speed, slows down after that. Unlimited talk/text. No contract.

    Keep yer numba, keep yer fone. Just swap the sim.

    0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1986 Honda Oldwing Medicaide
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  12. #62
    Your Father csmutty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pomfret Center, CT
    Age
    27
    Posts
    9,780

    Re: project fi

    Simple mobile.

    $75/mo for 2 lines of unlimited.

    I'm going on my co-workers plan next month at simple, as it's only $25/mo to add another line of unlimited.

    0 Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS #316 ECK Racing GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | OnTrack Media

    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

  13. #63
    Lifer RyanNicholson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,346

    Re: project fi

    Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Dude, just StraightTalk. $45 a month. Up to 10Gb at full speed, slows down after that. Unlimited talk/text. No contract.

    Keep yer numba, keep yer fone. Just swap the sim.
    Just looked it up... better coverage and apparently I can just swap the phone over no problem. Interesting.

    0 Not allowed!

  14. #64
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    18,920

    Re: project fi

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    Just looked it up... better coverage and apparently I can just swap the phone over no problem. Interesting.
    It's on ATT's network. Plus if you pre-pay for 3, 6 or 12 months at a time, the rate gets lower.

    - - - Updated - - -

    You can pick up the SIM's at WalMart. Or just order online and they ship it over in a day or two.

    1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1986 Honda Oldwing Medicaide
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •