Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PSA: Firestone

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

PSA: Firestone

I have always assumed that chains like Firestone, Jiffy Lube, etc are not to be trusted with the most basic maintenance tasks. Well, I got new tires from Tire Rack mounted on my wife's car at the local firestone, and decided to let them change the oil too. Amazingly, they were able to get oil all over the fucking place around the fill cap, and severely cross threaded the oil drain bolt. Its been dripping oil all over the driveway for about a week. The drain bolt is not even seated against the 3mm thick crush washer they put in. I checked it assuming there would be no oil left in the motor, and it appears that they also managed to overfill the shit out of it, to the point where I am wondering if it has just been oozing back out of the fill cap.

So ya, fuck that shit. On the positive side, I called to bitch about it and got zero resistance whatsoever. Like, ya, it happens all the time, bring it in and we will fix it no questions asked. What do we think they are going to try and do to fix it? Pull it out and ram it back in with the impact gun?

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Re: PSA: Firestone

The reviews do seem to indicate some problems .

Top 738 Reviews and Complaints about Firestone Service Centers

0 Not allowed!
    TIMMYDUCK

iTrader Score

That sucks. I've always been of the same mindset. Don't trust them.

And yeah, they screwed up the first time, what makes them think you would want to bring it back to them to "fix" it. I'd consider bringing it somewhere reputable to fix it right, then back charge them.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

They will probably use a thread repair kit to fix the pan.

0 Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

iTrader Score
    3 (100%)

I have never once had another person change my oil in 29 years

1 Not allowed!

Lifer
    iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMYDUCK View Post
    The reviews do seem to indicate some problems .

Top 738 Reviews and Complaints about Firestone Service Centers
    Certainly a trend, but read some of them. While quite a few are more clearly negligent employees, some sound a lot like the customer may have some responsibility.

Like any major chain, there's good and bad ones. Should provide the specific location, since apparently that one has some substantial incompetence.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

iTrader Score

Also part of a big scandal involving the selling of un-needed or overpriced repairs...

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

They are going to install a single oversize drain plug. If that fails, they may try to install a universal expandable drain plug.

If they use an oversize plug, and install it properly, you're fine. If they fail, and try to use that expandable one, you should insist they replace the oil pan. If they balk at that, talk to the store manager, and if he/she won't help you, call their toll free number and make a complaint, and ask that the district manager contact you directly. Either way, you're due a refund for the service as it was not done properly(read the back of the receipt, there should be some wording there about a "done right" guarantee).

All that said...saying "Firestone is not to be trusted" because you had one bad experience with one specific inept person at one specific Firestone is sort of silly and over simplified. As with anything, there are good people and bad people, and they operate something like 2000 US stores.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post

All that said...saying "Firestone is not to be trusted" because you had one bad experience with one specific inept person at one specific Firestone is sort of silly and over simplified. As with anything, there are good people and bad people, and they operate something like 2000 US stores.
    agree 100%. as bad as this horror story sounds, it happens much more with DIY mechanics

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

iTrader Score

1 Not allowed!
    Matt
    '07 Yamaha FZ6 - Street
    '01 Honda CBR600F4i - Track
    '98 Suzuki DR350SE - Miscellaneous

Hypertarded
    iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    I have always assumed that chains like Firestone, Jiffy Lube, etc are not to be trusted with the most basic maintenance tasks. Well, I got new tires from Tire Rack mounted on my wife's car at the local firestone
    I hear ya, lots of good points already made related to the issue, and while I'm not here to defend Firestone:

I'm going to assume you used the one at the intersection of Post & Airport road in the Ann&Hope parking lot, never used that one myself, I always went to the one at Warwick mall.

I used them to mount my Tirerack tire purchases for several years, had probably 12-14 sets of tires mounted. Always got me in & out fast, best overall price and did decent work, worst thing was half the time the rims would come back covered with tire lube / greasy fingerprints even thought they were spotless when brought in.

Stopped going for 2 reasons, my mechanic got a Hunter mount & balance setup and because the last time I used them to mount a set of Pirellis they scratched / hacked the crap out of one rim on my Audi just as I was about to sell it. I complained to the manager before leaving, had him come out to show him the freshly gouged aluminum, he tried to give me some "blah blah blah" excuse. I explained I was about to sell the car and wasn't going to take the hit for the damage & I wanted the rim repaired, he called the "home office" and they agreed to replace the rim. Had to wait a week, but they got me a factory direct OEM Audi rim shipped from Germany for $728.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    So as other have mentioned, it's kinda down to the individual doing the work. I actually had the oil pan in the same Audi stripped out by an Audi dealer during a free oil change, while the car was still under CPO warranty and the dealer REFUSED to accept responsibility. It was a slow leak and I didn't realize until I did the next oil change, when I couldn't even get the bolt out, they claimed it was "probably my fault." So basically anyplace can SUCK

Quote Originally Posted by MHenry600 View Post
    And yeah, they screwed up the first time, what makes them think you would want to bring it back to them to "fix" it. I'd consider bringing it somewhere reputable to fix it right, then back charge them.
    And since they already accepted responsibility you may be able to try this, my girlfriend had a free oil change done during an inspection at Midas, they fucked up and left the old filter gasket stuck to the mount and put the new filter on top. Didn't make it home before all of the oil leaked out I told them they fucked up, I didn't trust them to check for damage and had the car towed to the Honda dealer, billed them for the tow, engine check and repairs. We had to sign a waiver to not sue later for any other damage and Midas gave us a check for the total amount.

So anyway, good luck, hope you get it all straightened out

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    They will probably use a thread repair kit to fix the pan.
    This is what Seacoast VW in Greenland NH did to my brand new car when they stripped my drain plug. The kicker was they never even told me. About 18 months later I was DIY'ing a change and the thread insert came out with the drain plug and I was forked. They then denied it "we don't repair things that way". I wound up eventually replacing the pan on my own dime.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

I took a car to Firestone to have the tires balanced. They came back worse than they went in, cost me close to $100 to fuck up my tires.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

iTrader Score

And everyone balks at what service work cost at my dealership. then go to a quick lube place and the car is fucked up. In the off chance we fuck something up least there is some serious recourse to get it corrected

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Cross threading a drain plug is basically impossible lol. It's like the one bolt on the entire car that will never give you ANY resistance at all as long as you're not fucking it up. It's literally always oiled and lubed.

Sorry ya had a bad experience man. I went to a valvoline for an inspection once and the guy couldn't get the wheel off lmao. I watched him struggle for like 45 minutes before asking why he didn't just take a different wheel off. He goes "It has to be a front one" I replied.. "Yeah, well... there's two of those. Take the passenger side off if you can't handle the other one".

Unreal lol

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    11 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    I have always assumed that chains like Firestone, Jiffy Lube, etc are not to be trusted with the most basic maintenance tasks.
    This thread started and ended with the first sentence.

I worked part time for Sullivan Tire and Town Fair Tire years ago. The number of vehicles that would come in with cross threaded drain plugs was remarkable. Also in that time I saw a couple cracked aluminum pans from Jiffy Lube oil changes, numerous double-gasketed oil filters and of course the ever present cross threaded oil drain plug. Nevermind the countless incorrect batteries, the times where tires were not all the same size, wipers mounted on opposite sides, air filter boxes that weren't correctly closed up.

I will never send any vehicle of mine or friends and family vehicles to any chain for maintenance. Firestone, Midas, Monroe, Jiffy Lube, etc. None of them are worth the liability or headache.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    And everyone balks at what service work cost at my dealership. then go to a quick lube place and the car is fucked up. In the off chance we fuck something up least there is some serious recourse to get it corrected
    The problem is-as my experience illustrates-ya'll are neither above fucking vehicles up nor above weaseling out when you do so. You just charge more to do it.

DIY or roll the dice and take your chances. The logo on the sign and obscene hourly rate charged are no longer indicators of quality or lack thereof.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

It happens all the time from dealerships to DIYers. We had some suspension work done on one of our trucks, shit I just didn't feel like dealing with and told them to do an oil change as well at the time. Then 6months later I had them do some more work, new rear tires and asked for another oil change. Last week I pulled the filter to do a change myself, I write the dates on all of the filters i replace. This one had 11/11/15 written on it. Awesome.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

I've found some good independent mechanics. The problem is the good ones are always really busy.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by zxme View Post
    I have never once had another person change my oil in 29 years
    Clearly you're not busy enough. Stop being so damn lazy.

1 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I've found some good independent mechanics. The problem is the good ones are always really busy.
    The shop that works on my Audi are like this, always need to book an appointment at least a week in advance. As good as they are, they made a mistake doing a valve cover gasket for me last Friday. There's a rubber 3 way junction for an oil supply which had deteriorated and instead of replacing it they put it back on. I drove to NYC on Saturday morning and had lost over a quart of oil by the time I got there. Brought it back to them this morning and the tech said "Oh yeah, I had some trouble getting that fitting back on." He took it off and it was split under the hose clamp. Like a good shop though, no questions asked, "We'll take care of it, here's a loaner, very sorry for your trouble."

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

I take the company truck to jiffy lube all the time, never had an issue with their service. You have to specify oil and filter only, never let them do anything else. Seeing our company always buys fords, we just have them towed to the dealers for all other mechanical work.

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

iTrader Score

These threads are why I have a tire machine and lift in my garage and do almost all of my own maintenance. Certainly overkill but I know I know that things are done right or at least who to blame when not. Plus having a desk job, its nice to turn a wrench for fun.

2 Not allowed!
    Last edited by ADA929; 12-04-17 at 02:47 PM. Reason: I can't spell

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

My wife brought it back to them. I call them up while she's in the waiting room, and the manager says "it wasn't cross threaded, it just wasnt snugged up against the crush washer, we pulled it out and put it back in by hand and it snugged up fine." So I said if it wasnt cross threaded why did you have to pull the bolt out to snug it up. And now basically hes saying "its fixed, didnt even lose any oil, we ran it for 15 minutes and theres no drips, bring it back in if theres a problem."

What the fuck? I think the only thing I can do now is call back and try and get him to document as much as possible on paper for me, then if I have a problem I can bring it to the local Firestone in SC and show them the paper trail. Thoughts?

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

They pulled out the drain bolt and it didn't lose any oil? That's a cool trick.

2 Not allowed!
    Matt
    '07 Yamaha FZ6 - Street
    '01 Honda CBR600F4i - Track
    '98 Suzuki DR350SE - Miscellaneous

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast