Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Puppy

Puppy

I can't decide..to get one or not?

I've always had a dog until I moved into my house in 07 and while I guess i could have taken my dog with me back then, I didn't feel it would be fair to the dog being home alone 10+ hours a day while I was working. So I've always brushed off the idea of getting another dog for that reason.
    So, a friend of a friend has a litter of pure lab pups, yellow and black to pick from, and at a reasonable price.
    So my real question is, do you think the dog being alone (most likely will be crated for the first year or so) for upto 10 hours a day for the work week is unreasonable and unfair to the dog?
    I have plenty of room, he/she will have a 13+ acre yard to play in while I'm here.
    I wasn't even gonna think about this until spring, but once I saw some pictures...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Re: Puppy

DO IT. You will regret it if you dont.
    The first thing I am doing when I am living at my house is get some pups.

Instead of crating, a outside pen?

If crated, then yes, completely unreasonable and moreso for a puppy.

Can you hold your piss for 10hrs?

Outdoor pen, possibly. Indoor crate for 10 hours, no way.

I'd be lying if I said ours are never left for 10 plus hours but to do it routinely is just plain mean to the dog.

It fucked my dog up when I got her and was working 10 to 12 hours a day. She took 2 years to housebreak and wasnt properly socialized. She would howl and cry for hours in her cage. I still feel really guilty about it, but she was given to me, I didn't choose to get one.

No puppy should have to sit in its own piss and shit because you're busy. If you really want a dog, get a housebroken younger rescue and put in a dog door and fence. Better yet, get 2 and they can entertain each other. But not a puppy.

Original

I don't know where you are located, but around the Boston area there are some fantastic doggie day care centers, or pay someone to come to your house everyday for an hour to let the dog out, play and socialize. If you can't do that, then probably now is not the right time for a dog. It sounds like you may live in a more rural area. If that's the case, maybe post an ad to see about getting someone close to you to dog sit during the day. If you really want a pup, there's ways to do it, but leaving it crated or alone with no way to go to the bathroom or to socialize - especially a lab - is not fair. Maybe you need a cat!

'80 Honda CB750F Super Sport

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just gonna ask them where they're going and catch up with them later"

North Reading (also known as the North Pole)

I would never leave my dog home alone consistently for that much time. She gets a dog walker 3-4 days a week to break it up.

2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

For a pup, no way. An older house trained dog, maybe. Consider a rescue dog?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

you always seemed more like a cat person...

so instead of a dog get a pig and name it "Bacon"

win win if you ask me....

We have two dogs. We got #2 earlier this year. #1 1.5 years before that.

I work from home 2x a week, so they hang with me on those days.
    2x a week we pay for them to go to 'doggie day care' at a kennel just down the street from where my missus works.
    1x a week they have to fend for themselves for the day.

We also work slightly offset schedules. I work in MA and leave at 5:30. Missus works ~15 min away and leaves.. well, I don't know when she leaves, but its much later. I am home by 4:30 at the latest, she's closer to 6.

Recently my missus had to travel for business for a week. This meant the dogs had to be alone from 5:30AM - 4:30PM for three days. It was a full on disaster! I wound up switching up my work schedule and calling in 'sick' one day because I did not feel comfortable leaving them alone. 11 hours alone is ridiculous. I know this now.

It is also an issue if we want to take off on the weekends. We either have to find someone to watch them, or take them with us.

I have an in with someone who has a condo time-share up in the whites for the week after xmas. We won't be attending.. why? cause we can't find anyone to watch the dogs.

I effing love my dogs. But they are definitely a commitment.

I agree with the majority who say to hold off on getting a pup if you are not going to be home for that long. Luckily I work in the same town so I am able to go home during lunch to walk my dog since he was small. If you do not have the luxury to do that or cannot afford to bring him to playcare or have someone walk him midday then I would wait until your situation changes.

Lifer

I run a side business as a dog walker and most of my clients come from people like the op. For a puppy 3-4 hours in a cage is too much, they will never house break and will be spastic all the time. If you can get a good walker its feasible to get a dog and cage it most of the time but its still kinda cruel. Even for a full grown dog 8hrs in a cage is really pushing it. And to try a rescue and actually being truthfull about how long itll be in a cage will get you denied fast.
    Some of the better groups will also seek an in house visit and check at your work to see how long and what hours you work. Getting a rescue dog is usually a fair amount of work. A good amount of my clients also come from rescue's and they use me as a reference to cover the time gap if needed. I usually make dog rescue's alot easier for my clients but i also notify the rescue group when my services are no longer being used. Ive seen them go and legally get dogs out of houses before. They can and will use cruel and unusual treatment if the dog is left alone for too long, too often. It all depends on the resue group though. Its also the best way to get a dog as well. Most spiritually rewarding and your saving a life for the most part. I have a rescue boston myself and i Initally had problems getting my original one because of our schedule. I couldnt use my dog walk business myself so i had to get someone else to do my job.

That's far too long for a puppy to be in a crate. Maybe build a kennel in your basement for winter/inclimate weather, one outdoors for the nicer days. But you'd hafta make damn certain any kennel is absolutely escape proof. You don't want a young pup roaming around all day in the woods/roads while you're not home. I wouldn't (and don't) crate a dog for that type of stretch until it's at least a year old (and do)...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    So, a friend of a friend has a litter of pure lab pups, yellow and black to pick from, and at a reasonable price.
    Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    ...And to try a rescue and actually being truthfull about how long itll be in a cage will get you denied fast.
    Some of the better groups will also seek an in house visit and check at your work to see how long and what hours you work. Getting a rescue dog is usually a fair amount of work. A good amount of my clients also come from rescue's and they use me as a reference to cover the time gap if needed. I usually make dog rescue's alot easier for my clients but i also notify the rescue group when my services are no longer being used. Ive seen them go and legally get dogs out of houses before. They can and will use cruel and unusual treatment if the dog is left alone for too long, too often. It all depends on the resue group though. Its also the best way to get a dog as well. Most spiritually rewarding and your saving a life for the most part. I have a rescue boston myself and i Initally had problems getting my original one because of our schedule. I couldnt use my dog walk business myself so i had to get someone else to do my job.
    When t'fuck did he mention rescues? And why does every dog/puppy thread around here turn into that? There's more of us than you'd care to know that've had miserable, gutwrenching experiences with rescues. Some of us just have the balls to say so...

I feel bad about leaving my 3 year old dog alone all day free in our whole house. I can't imagine caging a dog for even longer than I work which is significantly less than your hours.

At that point, what benefit is there to having the dog? You'll see it a few hours each night, then go to bed, repeat the next day.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    When t'fuck did he mention rescues? And why does every dog/puppy thread around here turn into that? There's more of us than you'd care to know that've had miserable, gutwrenching experiences with rescues. Some of us just have the balls to say so...
    It was mentioned in posts, sir. Not every answer is going to be from the original post. It was a suggestion by another person to possibly get another dog without having to get a puppy. Im sorry you had a miserable rescue but its not the dogs or rescues groups fault. It was probably yours. The dogs are usually fairly well screened prior to placement. Chances are you and others lied about your situation and it came to rear its ugly head.

Here we go!

'02 F4i

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    It was mentioned in posts, sir. Not every answer is going to be from the original post. It was a suggestion by another person to possibly get another dog without having to get a puppy. Im sorry you had a miserable rescue but its not the dogs or rescues groups fault. It was probably yours. The dogs are usually fairly well screened prior to placement. Chances are you and others lied about your situation and it came to rear its ugly head.
    This is the biggest crock-of-shit, head-in-the-sand, blind response. You obviously know so much about me. I'm not gonna bother with this idiocracy any further than I already have. Although in MY situation it was ENTIRELY the rescues fault for misrepresenting the animal. Again though, you probably know more about me than well, me...

2WT

I can't decide..to get one or not?

I've always had a dog until I moved into my house in 07 and while I guess i could have taken my dog with me back then, I didn't feel it would be fair to the dog being home alone 10+ hours a day while I was working. So I've always brushed off the idea of getting another dog for that reason.
    So my real question is, do you think the dog being alone (most likely will be crated for the first year or so) for upto 10 hours a day for the work week is unreasonable and unfair to the dog?
    I have plenty of room, he/she will have a 13+ acre yard to play in while I'm here.
    I wasn't even gonna think about this until spring, but once I saw some pictures...

Just ask yourself this, would you want to be locked in a crate for 10+ hours without anyone around?

If you really want to get a dog and really are away for those long periods of time I would suggest you look into some sort of Kennel for the dog. I am not sure about the construction of your home but if the basement wall is above ground level (such as homes that have a basement door in the back) you could always to an in/out Kennel where the dog could venture in from the weather.

I would avoid dog runs but that's just because I don't like the idea of having them on a run all day long and generally only a dog house for shelter. Also a dog will tend to spill their water dish and in summer months that could be detrimental to the pup so maybe think of a way to keep that water source full.

I would feel so bad for the dog if you got one and crated it for 10 hours and no that's not fair to the pup...

Just my thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks for the feedback It has pretty much confirmed my own thoughts on this.
    The idea has crossed my mind of a fenced in yard and a dog house for the days, but probably not a good idea to get started with a puppy going into the winter in that situation.
    My last lab I had house trained in just about a week, and she was 8 weeks old when I got her. She was in a crate for 7 hours a day and never once went to the bathroom in her crate. Even at that time, I felt that time frame was the limit. After a year, she had free roam of the house and her alone time went up an hour, still never an issue.
    Before I write it off for now, I will at least check with my neighbor and see if she would be interested in letting the dog out for a quick walk once a day for a small fee. They have 2 little kids, so I'm it could work out well for both..the kids burn some energy and the pup burns some energy.

I thought of a rescue, but IMO half the fun of owning a dog is watching it grow up and devolope a personality

For whoever mentioned the cat..I will never ever get an animal that is trained to piss/shit inside a house. I don't like cats at all, I don't like their personality and they stink no matter how clean you think you keep things.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

No question....DO IT!

do it = winning

definitely post up with your experience...I'm in a similar situation...and will be looking in about a year, but I won't have much of a lawn like yours

People rescue puppies too. Ours was only ~3 months old when we got her.

I just called the person and got some details. First, of a 13 pup litter, there are only 4 left. I want a yellow and he only has 1 yellow female. The option is there to also wait for the next litter. "If" I said yes, and my neighbor says she'll check on her once per day at least until spring, I have until Jan 10th to get situated...that's when they will be 8 weeks old.
    I'm going to at least look at them tomorrow after work

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

I just called the person and got some details. First, of a 13 pup litter, there are only 4 left. I want a yellow and he only has 1 yellow female. The option is there to also wait for the next litter. "If" I said yes, and my neighbor says she'll check on her once per day at least until spring, I have until Jan 10th to get situated...that's when they will be 8 weeks old.
    I'm going to at least look at them tomorrow after work
    Bwaaaaaaa haaaaaa haaaaa! Sounds like you'll be putting a deposit down on a pup tomorrow!

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast