Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Puppy

Re: Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Bwaaaaaaa haaaaaa haaaaa! Sounds like you'll be putting a deposit down on a pup tomorrow!
    If the deposit is refundable, I probably will I just have to make sure the peices of this puzzle will fit together!

Crappy picture, but you get the idea..

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

I don't know... unless you have someone that wants to exercise the dog for an hour or two, I just see that as being cruel to the dog. Labs are pretty high energy and as someone said, what's the point of having a dog you see an hour or two a day?

I understand the want to have puppies... I have 6 dogs, 3 of them are a year or younger. But I am home all day most days and we have 40 acres for them to run on. I just look back at the dogs I've had when I worked a lot and I feel terrible for putting them through being alone for hours and hours, especially now that I see how happy they are playing together with me home.

0 Not allowed!
    Original

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    what's the point of having a dog you see an hour or two a day?
    Where are you getting I'll only see the dog 1-2 hours a day? If i'm gone 10 hours for work....and that 10 hours is a max number, it's usually less and varies a bit..., there's still 14 hours left in the day. I sleep 6-7 hours a night, that still leaves 7-8 hours to spend time with the dog. Do you spend 7-8 hours per day running and playing with your dog? Does anyone here spend 7-8 hours a day running and playing with their dog?
    As I said, I've had labs in the past, so I have a good idea of their play/relax/sleep patterns. I know for sure the dog will get more attention than the average pet. My concern is/was the extended time in a crate without being let out to go to the bathroom. if I can't resolve that, then I won't get the dog

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

You know what's right, Mark. You'll make the right call & make necessary adjustments. We got off target a bit with all the talk of crating, etc. In YOUR situation, I'd build an outdoor kennel AND an indoor one in the basement for winters & inclimate weather...

Our 14 month old Shepherd regularly stays in her crate for about 10 hours. Even then, we still hafta practically drag her out of it. Never had a problem, but we waited 'til she was 1 to start that. We gradually increased her time in to get her used to it without totally freaking her out. We've had zero behavior issues, but she gets a ton of excercise too, especially now with the puppy...

You'll do the right thing! So, um...have fun with that new pup! And live it up now. You'll be pretty much tied up for the next 6-8 months!

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Supposedly crates aren't as cruel as people think they are. Our puppy is almost a year old and still sleeps in the crate at night. It is her safety spot, just like they say it is supposed to be.

I think I heard somewhere that a puppy can 'hold it' for 1 hour for every 2 weeks of age. So an 8 week old puppy should be let out every 4 hours, minimum. 10 week every 5, and so on.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Supposedly crates aren't as cruel as people think they are. Our puppy is almost a year old and still sleeps in the crate at night. It is her safety spot, just like they say it is supposed to be.

I think I heard somewhere that a puppy can 'hold it' for 1 hour for every 2 weeks of age. So an 8 week old puppy should be let out every 4 hours, minimum. 10 week every 5, and so on.
    My dogs also go to their crates when they feel like it. If we're in the general area of the house where their crates are, they'll seek refuge in them regularly and just wait there until we leave that area...

An 8-10 week puppy can't 'hold it' at all, for any amount of time. At 8-10 weeks - if giving him access to water, you should be taking him out about every 30 minutes. That's why I'm confident Mark would build him a kennel - so relieving itself isn't a concern for the first few months...

0 Not allowed!

Kennel + another puppy = happy dogs, happy owner.

Dogs are social creatures. Get him/her a friend if you are getting one.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Kennel + another puppy = happy dogs, happy owner.

Dogs are social creatures. Get him/her a friend if you are getting one.
    Couldn't agree more. That's why we just done exactly that! I can't believe I didn't do this with other dogs in my life! We're gonna be building a '2-stall' chainlink kennel with concrete padding under our deck ASAP...

0 Not allowed!

No place to hide chain link here. Not that we are epic landscape people (note the grass.. er.. weeds!), but we just couldn't deal with that. I was actually very anti fence entirely. This was a compromise.

The plan is to relocate the door from the deck to enter into this fenced in area, then put in pavers in at least half of it as a patio space, put the grill out there.

Our dogs do not stay out there when we are not home though. There is no shelter.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 12-23-11 at 11:13 AM.

No place to hide chain link here. Not that we are epic landscape people (note the grass.. er.. weeds!), but we just couldn't deal with that. I was actually very anti fence entirely. This was a compromise.

The plan is to relocate the door from the deck to enter into this fenced in area, then put in pavers in at least half of it as a patio space, put the grill out there.

Our dogs do not stay out there when we are not home though. There is no shelter.
    If you can stop 'em from getting UNDER that fence, a coupla shelters for them little critters wouldn't cost much...

0 Not allowed!

We weren't quite done yet when I took that photo. We filled in under the fence sections with crushed blue stone. They don't dig in that. ... Now the rest of the pen, that's a different story. We've talked about putting a doggie door in the screen door to the deck (which is covered). That'd make the deck effectively a big shelter.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback It has pretty much confirmed my own thoughts on this.
    The idea has crossed my mind of a fenced in yard and a dog house for the days, but probably not a good idea to get started with a puppy going into the winter in that situation.
    My last lab I had house trained in just about a week, and she was 8 weeks old when I got her. She was in a crate for 7 hours a day and never once went to the bathroom in her crate. Even at that time, I felt that time frame was the limit. After a year, she had free roam of the house and her alone time went up an hour, still never an issue.
    Before I write it off for now, I will at least check with my neighbor and see if she would be interested in letting the dog out for a quick walk once a day for a small fee. They have 2 little kids, so I'm it could work out well for both..the kids burn some energy and the pup burns some energy.

I thought of a rescue, but IMO half the fun of owning a dog is watching it grow up and devolope a personality

For whoever mentioned the cat..I will never ever get an animal that is trained to piss/shit inside a house. I don't like cats at all, I don't like their personality and they stink no matter how clean you think you keep things.
    no a pig... it doesnt go in your house. you have plenty of land. raise that thing on good feeds and have some of the best bacon you have ever had in your life. after number one, repeat with number two. hell get a cow, even better. vacu-seal and freeze the excess and it can last almost a year.

I said you seem like a cat person given how "picky" you are with your bikes. new ones every other month and they are kept super clean.

dog people dont wash their bikes and own them forever....

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by R1 View Post
    dog people dont wash their bikes and own them forever....
    Wholey crap, you're so right.

17 years riding, owned 3 bikes, my last for 10 years.

Totally a dog guy.

I do try to wash them though. ... The bikes occasionally too!

0 Not allowed!

I look back at the first year I had my last Lab and the amount of time she stayed in the crate. As you mentioned, she would almost always sleep all night in it with the door open. I can remember times when she would be exhausted and sleeping by 7:30-8pm and would stay there until 6am.
    When I talked to the people this evening that had the pup, they said it takes about 4 months for the bladder to develope enough to hold it in for an extended time.

Sooo, I went to look at the pups today after work. I was there for about an hour holding the puppy and still undecided on what to do. I was going to hold off, then they mentioned the 2nd litter that was only 12 days old. They were all black and I could have first pick of that litter. One stuck out, she was a little bigger than the others and had a white toe. They called her the discount puppy because they were afraid knowone would want her because of the white toe. I'll take it It works out good and it will give me an extra 2-3 weeks to get set up.
    The owners would like me to come up with a name before my next visit, probably in a week or 2.

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Told ya! Rock on, man. Rock on. Just do you & the pup a favor and build a kennel. Even at 4 months, it's still far too young to leave in a crate all day. It'll be a solid year before that's safe...

Good luck! And congrats!

0 Not allowed!

Cokenail?

0 Not allowed!
    Original

Biiiitchin'!

0 Not allowed!

2WT

congrats and enjoy it. I wish I was in a place that would allow me to have a dog, can't wait until one day I own my place and can do whatever I want.

love the pup soo cute

0 Not allowed!

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

you live in the boonies, im sure a dog door that goes into a fenced area is possible to do. i have a dog door and its awesome. in the summer time they go outside and just lay in the sun.

0 Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Fucker!

Damn that pup is cute.

0 Not allowed!
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2018 Onewheel XR

Congrats!! Such a cute little puppy

0 Not allowed!
    --Jesse
    2001 SV650s

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Couldn't agree more. That's why we just done exactly that! I can't believe I didn't do this with other dogs in my life! We're gonna be building a '2-stall' chainlink kennel with concrete padding under our deck ASAP...
    Concrete pad be a good place to set up a crane ... just sayin'.

0 Not allowed!
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride would do.

names:

Yamaha
    Whyzee
    Seven
    Rappy
    Spensive
    Deeogee

0 Not allowed!

I think her name is going to be Arai

0 Not allowed!