Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Puppy

Re: Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Fuggin' shots. If we all did EVERYTHING the vets tell us, we'd be broke! They only REALLY need a handful of 'em. Fuck, I know people who only give their dogs what they can get at the local feed/grain store and those fuckers live to be 15 years old! No vet, just over the counter shit!
    I totally agree. They tried to tell me our puppy needed 3 sets of boosters because we started the shots when he was young. I was like... uh, no

They also tried to tell me he needed to be dewormed every time he got his boosters. Why the fuck would that be necessary?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Original

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    I totally agree. They tried to tell me our puppy needed 3 sets of boosters because we started the shots when he was young. I was like... uh, no

They also tried to tell me he needed to be dewormed every time he got his boosters. Why the fuck would that be necessary?
    Ziva & now the puppy have had & will continue to have very little vet interaction. There's a coupla things that HAVE TO be administered by vet's, but anything else is being done by either me or the breeder...

Deworming is wunna the things EASILY done without the help/aid of a vet...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Fuggin' shots. If we all did EVERYTHING the vets tell us, we'd be broke! They only REALLY need a handful of 'em. Fuck, I know people who only give their dogs what they can get at the local feed/grain store and those fuckers live to be 15 years old! No vet, just over the counter shit!
    I think my vet said there are 3 or 4 sets of shots..she already had one set from the breeders vet prior to me picking her up. I'm using the same vet my parents and sister use..and I used for Mabel. The best thing, he comes to my house and I don't have to go anywhere.

I think I may have picked the cutest pup of the litter, but certainly she is the most energetic! I have my hands full to say the least, though it's been fun and my neighbor and her 2 kids love coming over a couple times a day to play with her and let her outside to the bathroom.
    I'm impressed, 6 weeks and 2 days old and I get a signal everytime she needs to go out to the bathroom. I have to act fast and if I miss the signal, I have little mess to clean up. Maybe 2 accidents in the past 2 days, both my fault IMO.

This is the "I need to go outside signal", along with some puppy whimpering.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Hypertarded

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I have to act fast and if I miss the signal, I have little mess to clean up. Maybe 2 accidents in the past 2 days, both my fault IMO.
    and I'm betting with that face it's impossible to get mad at her good luck, beautiful dog

Ziva & now the puppy have had & will continue to have very little vet interaction. There's a coupla things that HAVE TO be administered by vet's, but anything else is being done by either me or the breeder...

Deworming is wunna the things EASILY done without the help/aid of a vet...
    I totally agree the vets are insane and only care about there income. I had a black lab who got kennel cough after a vaccination its common they told me. Well 2 months 3 different antibiotics and she was still coughing. I stopped giving her the pills and it went away in 3 days. As for deworming puppies when I had an accidental litter it was a liquid you put in there mouth. Good luck crate training man I have a 7 year old lab who can break out of any crate. He chewed his way out of a travel crate that would be ok for him to fly in. He loves his crate too goes in it whenever he wants sleeps in it. Just don't shut the door.

Last edited by Dukaki848; 01-26-12 at 06:22 AM.
    2011 ducati 848 evo
    2007 gsxr 1000 totaled
    2003 cbr 954 sold
    2001 cbr 929 sold
    2003 rc 51 stolen
    1993 cbr 1000 gave to a friend
    1990 cbr 600 blew the motor

If you do some research, you'll find that puppies/dogs really only need a few shots admininstered by a vet before they're a year old. NOT the 4-6 rounds of shots like many vets may claim. You need to remember that A LOT - NOT ALL will push whichever product they get the best deal on and/or get reimbursed for. I avoid vets as much as possible, preferring to use over-the-counter stuff WHENEVER POSSIBLE. You'll find a lot of $100 med from the vet can be found at pet stores under a different name for $20...

Deworming: there's PLENTY of products available over-the-counter at your local pet store. Every time I've ever had a young'n (these two included), I've just gone to the local grain & feed store and got a tube of equine dewormer to keep on hand(Panicure maybe, can't remember the name). They come to work with me in Manch and we have like, 8 billion ferrel cats around here and the pups LOVE those delicate turd treats! A little drop a few times and they're good...

BTW-'Over-the-counter' basically means there's very little, if any chance of you overdosing your dog!

I got a chocolate lab this past April.

My Job started in July, with a slower 9-6 summer and a heavy fall/winter workload as year end comes, plus I have 2 roommates who have 9-5s.

I had 2 full months of unemployment to house train her and Crate train her which she picked up very quickly. I agree that a dog should not be left in her crate all day so I then weened her off of the crate for a month once I started work. I would leave her in my bedroom alone with the door shut, and I've always allowed her on my bed. Once she proved she would not chew anything (2 remotes later) or go to the bathroom, she got access to the entire apartment, and was let out at lunch time by a roommate who worked close by. Once she reached about 7-8 months, she would stay home for about 8 hours straight and never a bathroom problem.

She's turning a year old this February and has done stays in the house alone for 10+ hours at this point. No problems except a rare chewing incident.

I figure she may have a pretty boring week, but she gets AWESOME weekends (hiking, swimming, beach, you name it she does it) and a good summer since its light out for awhile, and my days are pretty short.

Don't mean to tell my life story, but I hope this makes you feel a bit better about leaving her home. There's also a cat in the apartment she grew up with which helps ease some boredom.

Carla is the happiest puppy I know, despite long days inside, believe me when I say that.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Carla is the happiest puppy I know...
    You haven't met 'Roxy':

Shameless dog pride, I know..

Ziva, our 15 month old easily stays in her crate for 10 hours. I would NEVER attempt that until they're about a year old and even then we kinda worked into that. In fact, when we get home to take her out, she sometimes won't even come right out. She's just happy as can be where she is. So we'll just leave her door open and she comes out when she's ready. We also use a crate that's technically too big for her so she has PLENTY of room to move around, stretch, etc...

(New) Simon, our 3 month old can handle 3 MAYBE 4 hours at a whack during the day at this point...

Of course, once they hunker down for the night, either could handle 12 hours easily. But that's a different ball game all together...

Great looking lab
    You're pretty much described my exact schedual except the times are different. My hours are 7am-3pm and travel to and from is what varies with me..could be 1/2-1 hour+ sometimes. That's where I originaly came up with 10 hours in my first post. My goal is to have her in the house while at work, but not in the crate and hoping I can do this within the first year.
    I could not have done this without the help of my neighbor and their 2 little boys, one just turned 2 and one will be 5 in May. They come over twice a day to bring her outside while I'm at work.
    So yes, mine will have a boring week as well..though once the days get longer, she'll be outside with me for 3-4 hours after work. Weekends I've pretty much decided if I can't bring her with me to where i'm going, I'll find something else to do where I can bring her.
    The more people I talk to, the more I realize that 10 hours alone in the house..and some even in a crate, is not all that uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    I got a chocolate lab this past April.

My Job started in July, with a slower 9-6 summer and a heavy fall/winter workload as year end comes, plus I have 2 roommates who have 9-5s.

I had 2 full months of unemployment to house train her and Crate train her which she picked up very quickly. I agree that a dog should not be left in her crate all day so I then weened her off of the crate for a month once I started work. I would leave her in my bedroom alone with the door shut, and I've always allowed her on my bed. Once she proved she would not chew anything (2 remotes later) or go to the bathroom, she got access to the entire apartment, and was let out at lunch time by a roommate who worked close by. Once she reached about 7-8 months, she would stay home for about 8 hours straight and never a bathroom problem.

She's turning a year old this February and has done stays in the house alone for 10+ hours at this point. No problems except a rare chewing incident.

I figure she may have a pretty boring week, but she gets AWESOME weekends (hiking, swimming, beach, you name it she does it) and a good summer since its light out for awhile, and my days are pretty short.

Don't mean to tell my life story, but I hope this makes you feel a bit better about leaving her home. There's also a cat in the apartment she grew up with which helps ease some boredom.

Carla is the happiest puppy I know, despite long days inside, believe me when I say that.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

I'm going to get a bigger crate this weekend, I think it's the biggest one they make (my aunt is giving it to me) just so she has plenty of room to move around as you said. i'm already comfortable at this point with the amount of time she is in it, that she won't go to the bathroom in there even with more room. Just like Simon, I'm at about 3 hours with Simba in the crate, and she just lays there for a bit after I open the door.
    7 hours was the longest she has slept at night, and that was last night...which at this point is also in her crate. She seems to love the crate as long as there is no other motion in the house

Ziva, our 15 month old easily stays in her crate for 10 hours. I would NEVER attempt that until they're about a year old and even then we kinda worked into that. In fact, when we get home to take her out, she sometimes won't even come right out. She's just happy as can be where she is. So we'll just leave her door open and she comes out when she's ready. We also use a crate that's technically too big for her so she has PLENTY of room to move around, stretch, etc...

(New) Simon, our 3 month old can handle 3 MAYBE 4 hours at a whack during the day at this point...

Of course, once they hunker down for the night, either could handle 12 hours easily. But that's a different ball game all together...

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

I hear the prevailing logic says don't get one too big. The dog should be able to move, but not move around too much. They will go to the bathroom in one corner and hang out in the other.. which defeats the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I hear the prevailing logic says don't get one too big. The dog should be able to move, but not move around too much. They will go to the bathroom in one corner and hang out in the other.. which defeats the purpose.
    Correct...kind of. Once they're 'trained' for it, they won't go in it. Until then, you don't wanna go too big. Many dogs won't go even in their kennels, unless it's absolutely essential...

My missus is the resident expert. I ride her coat tails on this subject.

We have two crates in the house. The little one was invaluable before the moose over here grew. Get the metal/wire kind that fold up, toss it in the basement when she grows. They hardly take any space when folded.

The foldable wire crates have only proven to be useless with any dog I've used it with. But we're talking a Pit Bull and German Shepherds. The ONLY way I've been able to keep 'em from breaking out of it is with wire tires & clips...

I'll stick with Vari Kennel, thankyouverymuch. Fuck, I have one that's over TWENTY years old and is no worse for wear...

Never heard of such a thing! Do they chew through the metal?!? That's crazy.

Never heard of such a thing! Do they chew through the metal?!? That's crazy.
    Nope. The Pit would squeeze out of the corners. Ziva, our oldest Shepherd figured out how to actually open BOTH doors on it!

Anyone tried out buffalo sticks yet?

'02 F4i

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    and I'm betting with that face it's impossible to get mad at her good luck, beautiful dog
    There have been times..haha

7 1/2 weeks old, she's smart and certainly knows when it's time to eat!

The camera stopped recording for some reason..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvv4O...ature=youtu.be

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

There have been times..haha

7 1/2 weeks old, she's smart and certainly knows when it's time to eat!
    Funny that! Our pup will devour any & everything in sight. Ziva was the same way 'til she was about a year. Now SHE hardly eats at all (MAYBE a few cups a food a day), but Simon's still mowing down anything he can! We gotta get 'em all together!

8 weeks old and a huge attitude!
    She has consumed almost all of my free time in the past 2 weeks, but it's been worth it.
    House training is going VERY good, it's been 4 days from the last accident in the house, and she goes to the door and sits there every time she needs to go. I just need to get her to make some noise now in case I'm not in the same room!
    The vet comes to the house tomorrow at 4 for the first check up and 2nd round of shots. Some say I'm not feeding her enough, I think I'm feeding her to much as she seems to be getting fat (4 cups per day). I'll see what the doc says about that tomorrow.

Chewing has been a minor issue, but not out of control yet. I picked up some sour apple spray and it seems to help

Last edited by R7; 02-05-12 at 10:13 PM.
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Try tying a bell to the door knob on string. Every time you take her out, tap the bells before you open the door. Soon she'll be ringing the bell when she wants to go out.

The catch is to teach her the difference between "lemme out, I gotta pee" and "lemme out, I wanna play".

4 cups seems like way too much to me. But I'm no expert.
    We feed our 1 y/o, 35lbs pointer mix 2 cups/day. 1 in the AM and 1 in the PM. Our 13 lbs bichon mix gets less than 1 cup/day total, and she's starting to pork up a bit.

Hypertarded

she goes to the door and sits there every time she needs to go. I just need to get her to make some noise now in case I'm not in the same room!
    start em early, I've had a few times where I'm asleep on the couch 10 feet from the door and they stand there "dancin" silently and I awake to a pile O shit next to the door

with a good quality puppy food I'd think 2 cups would be plenty.

Try tying a bell to the door knob on string. Every time you take her out, tap the bells before you open the door. Soon she'll be ringing the bell when she wants to go out.

The catch is to teach her the difference between "lemme out, I gotta pee" and "lemme out, I wanna play".
    but it's not easy to get them to seperate the two, my Airedale would ring the bell 22 hours a day like it was a game

4 cups seems like way too much to me. But I'm no expert.
    We feed our 1 y/o, 35lbs pointer mix 2 cups/day. 1 in the AM and 1 in the PM. Our 13 lbs bichon mix gets less than 1 cup/day total, and she's starting to pork up a bit.
    If I hung a bell on the door, it would be a game to her at this point, no question! I think in a month or 2, I may be able to get that to work?

I asked the vet about the food volume and he said it's about right for a lab, maybe a little on the heavy side. Depending on her adult size, the 4 cups per day will be ok upto about 65-70lbs. if she gets in the 80+ range, she'll probably need closer to 5 cups per day. If she ends up anything like her mother and father, she will be in the 80+ range.

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    start em early, I've had a few times where I'm asleep on the couch 10 feet from the door and they stand there "dancin" silently and I awake to a pile O shit next to the door

with a good quality puppy food I'd think 2 cups would be plenty.

but it's not easy to get them to seperate the two, my Airedale would ring the bell 22 hours a day like it was a game
    I havn't had to pick up a turd in a while, she always makes noise for #2. The pee is what she doesn't make any noise for.

I'm giving her Eukanuba puppy dry, was said to be one of the better dog foods? Only thing is, it seems to give her gas....bad!

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

So you feed based on how big you think the dog is going to be? That doesn't make any sense to me. Seems to me you should feed based on how big the dog is now. Obviously that would ramp up quickly when the dog is a puppy.

Again, I'm no expert. We feed our dogs based on what our vet told us.

Although I feel like we underfeed our ~35lbs pointer. She only gets 2 cups/day of dry. She makes it disappear instantly and is begging for dinner by 6PM. Feels like too little. But then we were scolded because we were overfeeding our little one for a while. She is a touch on the porky side.

Meh, what do I know?!