Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Puppy

Re: Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Yes, he chewed that table, the handle off the wood stove, legs on the dining table, random window sills, the face off the tv cabinet... the list goes on.
    I’m gone for 10 hours a day, it hasn’t been an issue with the other dog, but now a dog walker comes 4-5 hours in and gives them both some exercise for 45 minutes. We bought the Furbo to see when he is chewing, and with hopes of being able to talk to him, make him stop. Most of the chewing is after his walks.

This morning I moved his crate in front of the fireplace so he can see the other dog while crated, today he has been pretty calm so far
    He'll get used to the crate. Give it time. Although 10 hours is definitely a bit much for a young dog that isn't used to it.

EDIT: I just realized you have a walker come by.

1 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Yeah. "Go to bed" is the command we use. They usually come running. Sometimes the older lab gives me this dirty look. But it's more a "screw you I was comfortable where I was" then not wanting to go in there.
    I've read a lot that crating actually may be the better thing for them. Provides them with a sense of security and comfort. Toss a blanket over the crate to further reduce the over-stimulation, keep 'em calm.
    There is usually a 6-7 hour overlap between schedules for my wife and I. She puts 'em in and I let 'em out. When I let them out they are usually losing their minds. But then anytime I walk through the door they do that.. so.. Unlatch the crate. Show them some love. Simultaneous pats as we get jealous! Let them outside for a pee and make sure the water bowl is topped off. 5-10 minutes later everyone is back asleep on the couch usually. They have a life I tell you.

1 Not allowed!

Lifer

Same. Our rescue that weve had for two weeks was on his best behavior at first but is starting to act out, thankfully no chewing-yet.

He is currently crated for about eight hours and we have a dog walker come mid day.

But amazingly he sleeps through the night in a toddler bed in our room, after about four or five attempts to get in ours.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Gixxer; 02-13-20 at 11:59 AM.

Our last dog was around 9mo when we got him. The destructive nature was a bit overwhelming so we crated him. After about 6mo or so of crating, we would let him out little by little. Start with short time spans away from the house and move up. After about a year, he had free roam of the house and didn't chew anything else (except Tupperware, I guess with no thumbs how else you getting into those tasty morsels left on the counter??).

Dogs are as you know pack animals. Their anxiety goes through the roof when you leave, they don't want to be alone. When they get nervous, they chew. Until they realize you are coming home on a regular basis and reliably, they get nervous.

Our current little beastie is home in his kennel right now. He has picked up on it quickly, I start my truck in the morning and walk back in the house he gets up and starts to his kennel. I think he likes it in there, he goes in to sleep occasionally when we're in the room with him. Most important thing is never use the crate as a form of discipline and never forcibly remove him from it. Let that become his safe zone. Dogs like caves and small spaces to relax too, yours might like a blanket over the kennel to make him feel more secure. But they aren't like us, they can sit in a small space and not mind it, they don't have a great sense of elapsed time. Now excuse me while I sit in my office and hope that the day will fly by...

2 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

He seems to be content in the crate, and things are improving. The dog walker even says hes more obedient and calm 5 minutes into their walk.

Its hard to use the go to bed command, for Simba that is a signal to come into my bed. I just put a small carrot in the crate and he goes in no problem and lays down.
    They both sleep on the couch all night with no issues.

1 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

"happy house" is the other command we use for the crate. Try that Mark to avoid confusion.

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

It’s hard to use the go to bed command, for Simba that is a signal to come into my bed.

That doesn't seem to need a command here at our house.

0 Not allowed!

He seems to be content in the crate, and things are improving. The dog walker even says he’s more obedient and calm 5 minutes into their walk.

It’s hard to use the go to bed command, for Simba that is a signal to come into my bed. I just put a small carrot in the crate and he goes in no problem and lays down.
    They both sleep on the couch all night with no issues.
    Last dog, we used "Your place" as a command for him to go to his area. I've read the best command phrases for a dog are 1-3 syllables and short. Anything more and they lose... what were we talking about??

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Same. Our rescue that we’ve had for two weeks was on his best behavior at first but is starting to act out, thankfully no chewing-yet.

He is currently crated for about eight hours and we have a dog walker come mid day.

But amazingly he sleeps through the night in a toddler bed in our room, after about four or five attempts to get in ours.
    Annnnd just like that I come home to see he destroyed the bed in his crate. �� Devil dog

0 Not allowed!

My dog was a beast as a pup. His crate lasted maybe a month before he destroyed it. After that we left him out but confined to the hall and kitchen with lockable baby gates. He went through two doors. After he figured out how to open the gates he was left to the main floor. We also took in a friend for him. A cat of all animals and except for the random dish or lunch box which was 100% our fault he didn't ruin anything else.

1 Not allowed!
    James
    12 KTM SMR 450
    07 CRF 250R
    LRRS/CCS #79
    NEMM #79

GMD Computrack
    Diamondback Designs
    Robs Dyno

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789