Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Puppy Question (doberman)

Hey All,

Are there any doberman owners amongst our community? I was thinking of getting one, but wanted to get some actual live testimonial before purchasing. I've done all of the Internet research, and know the basics. What I lack is having a current owner tell me the good and bad points.

What I'm most interested in is:

1) Training to stay in our yard without a fence regardless of basic distraction i.e., neighbors, cars, wandering cats. (Wondering if this is actually possible). My brother in law has a black lab that WILL refrain from leaving the yard no matter what the distraction is. Is he just lucky?

Yard size is about 3 acres. Private Rd. I think there is 1 or 2 other dogs in the 9 homes that are on this road.

2) Shedding. A lot? Minimal? Easy to control with brushing?

3) Aggressiveness to visiting friends and family

4) House breaking

Thatís prolly it...

Thanks!

J

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Since you say you've read up on them... then you know they're smart, loyal, and overall just great dogs.

I've had several through the years, and they are my favorite breed of dogs.

1. My current dog won't stay in the yard if she is un-attended. She likes to go after cats, deer, bunnies... etc. If I'm in the yard with her I can call her back... but she pushes the limits sometimes.

My other dobes that I've had were great... I left them out all the time without a fence or tie-out.

Of course, I got my current dog when she was over a year old from the Humane Society, so I wasn't able to train her as a pup.

I'm sure if I worked with her more, then she'd be fine outside.

2. They barely shed.. but they do shed a tiny bit ... but the hair is so short, that it's really not noticeable at all. I have white tile floors and off white and tan carpets, and dog hair is NOT a problem. I brush my dog about 1 a week or maybe 1x every 2 weeks. They don't leave clumps of hair everywhere and they don't make everything look like a fuzzy sweater.

3. All of the dobes I've had (4 so far) have always been friendly to family and friends. They've also shown great care and tolerance for kids... All the ones I've had love kids and take their abuse VERY well.

4. Housebreaking is almost a no brainer with dobes. They are very smart and it takes very little time.

They're great dogs.

They don't jump up on people, they don't lick you to death, they dont' have coffee table clearing tails.

If you have any other questions... feel free to PM me.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

wow, thanks for the detailed response. I appreciate it.

I'll be looking at some local puppies, as well as some pro-breeders. I'll send you an update after taking a look.

Oh, one other question. What is the cost for an ear crop? One of the places I'll be going has the tails done, but not the ears.

Thanks again!

j

I grew up in a house that bred and raised dobies. As a kid I could do just about anything to those dogs and they never growled. Great family pets and very protective too. .....

" It's never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

Sorry, but I don't know what an ear crop cost.

My current girl has her ears still.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Littering and........

Ear crop?!?!?! WTF is an ear crop?

Had a dobie she was a great dog the only thing I had a problem with is that she like to push the boarder limits, see how far she could go before I call her back. That said she was great with the kids my sister would show up and we could let the kids go out with the dog and she would not only keep them in the back yard but would let us know if someone was around.All and All a great breed to have need some yard room to run but it sounds like you got that.Treat them right and they will be loyal and loving till the day they die.

In God We Trust, All Others We Monitor
    USCG Boarder Patrol, SAR,DTF,MSO

Talk to your vet before you get the ears cropped it can be more of a problem than its worth for cosmeticly altering the dog.ie ear problems,infections,acute sensitivity. ect.

In God We Trust, All Others We Monitor
    USCG Boarder Patrol, SAR,DTF,MSO

dobe

hey, I've got a dobe male, got him at 8 weeks old last xmas. He's the best dog I've ever had and I'll tell you that I think they are the only kind of dog I'll get again. Unlike the above post, mine jumps and licks, a lot. The reason is though that I let him. If I wanted him to stop I'm confident I could do it with ease. One thing nobody has mentioned is that some people are going to be very leary about your dog. Just because there is that thought that dobermans are mean. All it comes down to is how they are raised, as I'm sure you've read. You can expect that your dog will just have some people that he/she doesn't like. And most people will be totally fine. Although, he will be protective of you.
    When a friend of mine comes over with his toddler, my dog like to go right over and after a couple of sniffs, starts giving him kisses all over. As for boundries, he stays pretty close, never out of sight, but if you have other dogs in the neighborhood, expect him to go and say hello once and a while. Some people may find this dumb, but who cares, take your dog to doggy-day-care. at least once a week while they are growing. I can't tell you how much better he is with other dogs after going. As for the ear crop, you should look for the 400 dollar range by the time you get through. ($120 + for the first cut and then a few for the re-posting) I didn't do mine and I'll never do one. As for the tail, I'm glad they do that at birth because its nice not have him knock stuff off the coffee table and such.

As you can see I'm very into the breed and this is my first one. I don't know where your located but if you'd like to meet mine I'd be more than happy to introduce you. Give my a PM.

What the hell are you looking at?

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

we had a doberman when i was a wee kid, she was smart, VERY protective, (scared a few questionables quite well, i.e. she was a great judge of character) and i think she shed a lot for a short haired dog. until she went to school, she was pretty exciteable and hard to control. but she took to training quite well and calmed down after puppy age.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

I've had two Dobermans in the past. THey were staying close if we were outside with them, but always trying to test the limits. If we were inside and they would break the chain (eh...yes), they would run away and come back hours later. They were VERY protective of the family, and would growl at some of the people coming to our house. But that's because they were foogin alcoholics and drug addicts. The dogs hated that. They were very friendly with "normal" people and specially little kids. THey can be somewhat dangerous for other dogs. My Doberman almost killed a Samoyede one day during winter. He felt that the other dog's food was his, and when the Samoyede tried to protect his bowl, my Doberman jump at his throat and choked him, bleeding him out of almost all his blood until my dad found them, took the poor dog to the vet and they saved him on time. Dobermans jaws lock. So it's very hard, almost impossible, to have them let go of their victim. My dad tried without success, he had to wait until our dog let go of the other dog, which was very stressfull. One other time, our dog was sleeping in teh bedroom with my dad. I was about 10...I wanted to get something in my parents bedroom, so I started to open the door slowly, just to find myself quickly down on the floor, my Doberman biting my knee, ripping my pants. I guess I was lucky that day the dog didn't jump at my throat, I wouldn't be here today. Regardless, I forgive him and didn't want my dad to put him to sleep. THe dog was feeling so bad, he came in teh bathroom to lick the blood on my knee, I still have scars of this incident.

I love Dobermans a lot. They are beautiful creatures, very loyal, very affectionate with their family. The problem is, they can be unpredictable. If I was to have another one, I'd wait til my kids are older. Better be safe than sorry. Why take risks. But I also think any big dog can be a hazard if they decide for some reason to snap. I still love them.

By the way, someone said that people might look at you funny if you have one of those dogs...so true. Our neighbors HATED to have a Doberman in the neighborhood. That's why one of them tried to kill one of our dog twice. He succeeded the second time. First time he put some broken glass i meat bals that he trew to the dog, we had to take him to a vet, his stomach was cut open. He saved him. Second time, he poisoned him, trews him in a trash bag. My mom saw the neighbor bring a funny looking shaped trash bag to the street, our dog was gone for too long. She called my dad at the hunting camp, he took the plane and came back early. My dad was friend with the dump yard owner, they searched for the dog and they found him at the dump. Fugger. Deserved to die for doing this. If you get a Doberman, just make sure to either have a fenced yard, or to keep him on leash, so bastards neighbors can't touch him. People are afraid of dogs like this, because of the lok they have. Cropped ears make this look even more threatning. THey look more like babies with un-cropped ears.

well you have to finish the story, what did your dad do to that guy that killed his dog? The pic of the dobe above is mine and I think if someone did that to mine, there would be Godfather type shit happening in his house

My dad had a plan to make him pay...he was to put his house on fire. But he decided that it was not worth going to prison for the rest of his life....so he had to swallow his anger. But years later, I recognize his psycho son who came to the same high school as mine...and I gave him a hard time for the whole year until he got trown out of school for bad behavior or something...lol

I HATE people like him. My dad called the cops but he just couldn't proove it was him who killed the dog.

well at least you may have scarred the kid for life. that's something anyway

I have a couple of dogs on a quiet street ,, it has its times when busy . THe best thing I have ever bought ,,,,,,, An electric fence !!!!! my dogs know don't wear the collars ( sometimes i'll put them on ) If the dog is smart ,, it will only test the limits ONCE !

HAH! My sister's lab mix, Dora The Explorer is her name for good reason, got a fence for her yard and Dora still bucks the fence once a week - they've had it a year! She is terrible about running away and the 5 of them didn't do a very good job of training... but a YEAR with a fence and still going through it!? DUH!

GO TO TONY'S TRACK DAYS!
    I'm Bikeless.

basset hounds are pretty smart... a friend of mine has had two... and that electric fence thing... well the little weiner dog would go right up to the edge so the warning buzzer would sound... and sit there (unless someone saw what he was doing and hollared) and wait for the buzzer to turn off (collar batteries died) then he would bolt!

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

hahahaha!!! Dogs are SMART!! lollll

That bassett hound story is AWESOME.

My older lab is the Queen and when our pup gets too crazy in the house with a particular favorite toy... the older one will swipe the toy, gently place it on one of their four dog beds, then lay on top of it! The younger one has no choice but to wait patiently within inches of the older one's nose, until the older one decides enough time has passed and allows the pup to have it again.

GO TO TONY'S TRACK DAYS!
    I'm Bikeless.

Thanks again for all the responses. I'm truthfully much more educated then I was before!