Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Question for you sneaky bastards on the forum

Ok, some of you may know my wife is getting into motorcycling. She took the MSF in October got her license yada yada. I want to buy her a Ducati Monster for her birthday on Jan 28th my only problem is this: We have a checking and savings account from Mansfield savings. She went to the bank last year to open it up, it's in both of our names but she is the primary, as a result her ATM/Debit card is the one with access to the Savings account. She can transfer money from both accounts but I can't do it with mine. Actually now that I think of it, the savings account is in her name and the checking is in both. So how can I get money out of the saving account without her knowing? I doubt the bank would allow me access. So plan B would be to somehow get her ATM card and pin number. I don't know her pin but could easily get her card. (this may sound strange but my wife and I are very unorthodox when it comes to marriage/money/accounts etc etc, that's why I didn't think twice when she opened the savings account in her name). So, has anyone gotten a pin number from their loved one in a sneaky way? I can't just come out and ask her for it because that would tip her off. Any suggestions? If this post is too gay just keep moving on through and ignore it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

First things first STOP CALLING IT A PIN NUMBER!

Do you have online access? If so you could shuffle the money that way.

Or pretend to loose your wallet and ask to use her card because you need gas and paying cash is a PITA

~ Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.~

BOSCO!

James
    12 KTM SMR 450
    07 CRF 250R
    LRRS/CCS #79
    NEMM #79

GMD Computrack
    Diamondback Designs
    Robs Dyno

Uh...I would work with a dealer to put together a way to deliver the bike on her birthday without all the markedly shady and possibliy illegal shennigans. Not sure whether you intend to buy this outright or get a loan. Either way, if you have good credit, a dealer should be able to work with you!

Then, after her birthday, you get her help in getting the money transfered. Of course...that only works if you are absolutly certain she will keep the bike and is willing to help pay for it! If you aren't positive about that then making it happen with shakey money management will only exacerbate an already uncomfortable problem....

BTW...my Birthday is a day later...and I like the Monster 696!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
    Muhammad Ali.

Actually I'm going to be paying in cash from a private party. But I do like the idea of saying I lost my card and need hers............BRILLIANT!! Now why didn't I think of that??? Seriously, that's a good idea. Ok, now that thats settled......on to the next problem: Has anyone owned a Monster 695 before? I'm kinda looking for something thats not too much for her to handle yet at the same time I'd like something we could 2-up on, we'd both have a bike but it would be nice to go for a cruise with her on the same bike if the urge ever hit (2-up'ing on the 1098 sucks really bad). She's not your average everyday dainty little girl, she's pretty strong and could handle a bike bigger than a Ninja 250. DucDave or Doc; you guys would probably know the answer to that question better than anyone as I know both of you have experience with Ducatis'. What about the Monster 800? Too big and powerful for her? I've never ridden a Monster in my life so I haven't a clue as to how powerful and fast they are. Fast is ok (most motorcycles are fast regardless) but I just don't want something where you hit the throttle and you're in "Light Speed" mode...know what I mean? How are the Monsters off the line? Really not too concerned with money (I'm not super rich but have enough money to buy a nice bike), I also don't feel like trading a bike in at the end of the summer for something bigger. In the perfect world they would make a nice Ducati with that "Power mode switch thingie" that the new GSXR1000's have.They should make one with a key, so the rider couldn't switch through the modes but would need the key to do it...of course I could have the key and switch the modes, upping the power when I felt she was ready.....damn, that's a good idea. Beyond that, does Ducati make a bike (or monster) fitting the description of ..." First-bike-also-good-for-2-up-riding-don't-want-to-trade-it-in-at-the-end-of-summer" type bike??

M620 was my first bike. I think it is a good first bike (but most the yahoos around here will say anything over a 250 is to big) I was right around 200lbs at the time and it made nice smooth and easy power there the whole rev range. I was only able to put 6k miles on it before it blowded up but I rode it like a jackass. I think if your wife is in the 150lbs range she could ride the bike for years. Hell I think I had 1/2" chicken strips when I got rid mine but I wanted the rush of a bigger bike. If I could have afforded it I would have bought another monster, but the price+maintenance was out of control for me.

As for 2up I bet with a different seat it would be ok, but stock the rear seat is the size of a deck of cards

I tested rode the 695 Monster this summer and had more fun than I felt should be legal. If I could have another bike in the stable that would be it...

It fast, nimble, and no...you won't outgrow it!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
    Muhammad Ali.

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

mark's posts = too long to read

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Denno View Post
    mark's posts = too long to read
    Ya, hey asshole...keep trying to make fun of me! You should be reading my posts about this closely because I....ahh....kinda.....nominated you to help me pick the bike I find up with your trailer and car, then I also nominated you...to ....ahh....hold the bike in your garage for me until the day of her birthday when I can put it in the living room with a ribbon around it......

Dumbass....

Quote Originally Posted by l3uddha View Post
    u looked at this yet? i friggin love it:
    Ducati.com

looks to be a relatively tame 1000. ducati tech specs says 92hp, which i'm guessing is at the crank.

i was checking it out today and damn it's nice. Monsters are great too.

Ya I have seen that....I fucking love that bike. I was tellimg Degsy last weekend I was thinking about trading in the 1098 for that bike...I mean I really love that thing for some reason. I would never get that for my wifes' first bike for fear of her scratching it.

so what's wrong with 2-up on the 1098? i been thinking about the 848 a little bit too much lately...
    What's wrong with 2-up riding on the 1098?? Well, besides the intense pain in my wrists due to succh an agressive riding position, crink in my back and neck from her leaning into me too far, again due to the riding position, and my wifes' melted thighs from the underseat exhaust....ummm...nothing really. It's not a cruiser, not a dailey commuter, not a "get through traffic faster in the city" ride and definetly not a passenger steed either. It's for going fast and looking damn good doing that speed......bottom line!! Get the 848 if you get the chance. In 17 years of riding motorcycles there is no better feeling than being part of the Ducati club......in my opinion! There's a smurk on my face under my helmet everytime i throw a leg over the 1098. Sure, alot of bikes are faster, alot are more comfortable, alot handle better, weigh less,cost half the price, can be maintained 80% cheaper........but still.........it's a Ducati. I'm sure I'll get flogged in this thread for loving my Ducati too much but so be it! I've dreamed of owning one since I first layed eyes on the 916 years ago and it hasn't dissapointed. Most of all...the exhaust note from 2000 rpm's all the way to redline...incredible!

So, did I convince you to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by naked-daytrader View Post
    What's wrong with 2-up riding on the 1098?? Well, besides the intense pain in my wrists due to succh an agressive riding position, crink in my back and neck from her leaning into me too far, again due to the riding position
    Serenity now

I've dreamed of owning one since I first layed eyes on the 916 years ago and it hasn't dissapointed.

It was the exact same thing for me, exept I was about 12 when I walked into my first Duc dealership and DROOOOLED over a 916

I didn't know much about bikes...but I knew Ducati was THE bike to have. I knew that it wasn't imported for a few year just prior to that.

It took some time but after some years I was the proud owner of my very first bike, and it was a M620

I just wish it lasted longer than 3 months and 6 thousand miles. It made me realize I'm poor and have to ride a jap bike

Quote Originally Posted by fasterthanu View Post
    Serenity now

It was the exact same thing for me, exept I was about 12 when I walked into my first Duc dealership and DROOOOLED over a 916

I didn't know much about bikes...but I knew Ducati was THE bike to have. I knew that it wasn't imported for a few year just prior to that.

It took some time but after some years I was the proud owner of my very first bike, and it was a M620

I just wish it lasted longer than 3 months and 6 thousand miles. It made me realize I'm poor and have to ride a jap bike

Well I wouldn't say it like that ..."your poor and have to ride JAP"....some of those so called "JAP" bikes are getting a bit pricey as well. You can pick up a low mile 996 or even 998 for under 8 grand now a days, thanks in part to the 1098 killing the resale value of all Ducati superbikes from the 916 to the 999.They are some beautiful bikes though... The 2008 1098's are even going up $1000. They'll be retailing for $16k base model now (really $17k when you add the 800 or so for sales tax....I forgot all about the sales tax on mine when I went to the registry. The guy was like "ya that'll be 794", I'm like "what?" "794"? "what do you mean....7 dllars and 94 cents??" He like " ahhhh no seven hundred and nintey four dollars". I almost shit a brick!!!

It not the initial cost that hurts. Its spending 600-1000 bucks every 6k miles.

I have owned a UJM for 2 seasons now anw put close to 20k on it with the only issue being a wheel bearing for less than $100

But one day I'll be back in the club

i was talking to the owner of riverside today & asked him about that. he was telling me the only maintenance close to 1k is the 17000 mile tune-up. but i dont know squat about ducati maintenance...
    Well thats the good thing about Ducati, they are pushing forward in technology. The maintenance is way down. I think it was 30% less in 06 then 40% less in 07 if I remember correctly

Last time I did something like this, I used one off them checks the credit cards are always sending ya. & paid it off after. I think it only cost a few $ extra.

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Ya, hey asshole...keep trying to make fun of me! You should be reading my posts about this closely because I....ahh....kinda.....nominated you to help me pick the bike I find up with your trailer and car, then I also nominated you...to ....ahh....hold the bike in your garage for me until the day of her birthday when I can put it in the living room with a ribbon around it......

Dumbass....
    for real? hahaha i really never read it... just send me the cliff-notes in the end - you know I'll help.... but we will need dirty pictures of the wife to prove she isnt a dude/ tranny

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6

btw - in my opinion - the monster s2r is sedate enough for a first bike - andrea will be fine if she just goes riding with the right people initially... (ie. not you or I!)

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6

btw - in my opinion - the monster s2r is sedate enough for a first bike - andrea will be fine if she just goes riding with the right people initially... (ie. not you or I!)
    Especially not u or I

Especially not u or I
    Ill take her for a spin

James
    12 KTM SMR 450
    07 CRF 250R
    LRRS/CCS #79
    NEMM #79

GMD Computrack
    Diamondback Designs
    Robs Dyno

I think I a 695 would be ok a 620 would be better.

First bike? Never rode before? I twin is better than a 4.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Especially not u or I
    Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    Ill take her for a spin
    its like i have ESPN or something - i knew james would offer his "expertise"

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6