Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Results 1 to 21 of 21

Quick question on the rules of Texas Hold 'Em

  1. #1
    Super Moderator OreoGaborio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    MA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    37,168

    Quick question on the rules of Texas Hold 'Em


    If two players have an identical straight, is a kicker used to break the tie?

    example:

    Player 1 has J 9
    Player 2 has J 8

    Discard is 7 8 9 10

    Does the hand go to player 1 or is it a draw?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Pete LRRS/CCS #82 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays, Ironstone Ventures
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

    The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650

  2. #2
    Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Foxboro, MA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    7,601

    Re: Quick question on the rules of Texas Hold 'Em

    split the pot you dumb fuck

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

  3. #3
    Just Registered brendanp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Peabody Assachusetts
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,443

    Re: Quick question on the rules of Texas Hold 'Em

    call my cousin scott, he is the gambler,,, 978-764-7276
    He'll prolly wanna hook up for a game though..
    He loves that game.. carrys poker chips in his truck!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    If all else fails, Lean more....http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/brendanp/brendanp_sig.jpg

  4. #4
    Changes come butcher bergs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    the humbling river
    Posts
    12,518

    Re: Quick question on the rules of Texas Hold 'Em

    Player 1 wins because of the 9 card in hand.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Lifer reiobard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bennington, NH
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,311

    Re: Quick question on the rules of Texas Hold 'Em

    it is a split pot because the 5 cards needed for the straight are the same and therefor no room for kickers. Hold em is a 5 card game

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Foxboro, MA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    7,601

    Re: Quick question on the rules of Texas Hold 'Em

    did i stutter?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

  7. #7
    Rider. Just a rider... DucDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southern NH
    Age
    69
    Posts
    8,806

    Re: Quick question on the rules of Texas Hold 'Em

    Quote Originally Posted by reiobard View Post
    it is a split pot because the 5 cards needed for the straight are the same and therefor no room for kickers. Hold em is a 5 card game
    kerect...

    I think!!!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
    Muhammad Ali.

  8. #8
    Changes come butcher bergs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    the humbling river
    Posts
    12,518

    Re: Quick question on the rules of Texas Hold 'Em

    Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    Player 1 wins because of the 9 card in hand.
    +1

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #9
    Lifer daviid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Plantsville, CT
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,002

    Re: Quick question on the rules of Texas Hold 'Em

    Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    +1
    -2

    you cant use 6 cards in a game that based off of 5 cards. you split the pot


    Kickers and ties

    Because of the presence of community cards in Texas hold 'em, different players' hands can often run very close in value. As a result, it is not uncommon for kickers to be used to determine the winning hand and also for two hands to tie. A kicker is a card which is part of the five card poker hand, but is not used in determining a hand's rank. For instance, in the hand A-A-A-K-Q, the king and queen are kickers.

    The following situation illustrates the importance of breaking ties with kickers and card ranks, as well as the use of the five-card rule. After the turn, the board and players' hole cards are as follows.
    Board (after the turn)
    8♠ Q♣ 8♥ 4♣
    Bob
    K♥ Q♠

    Carol
    Q♥ 10♦

    At the moment, Bob is in the lead with a hand of Q♠ Q♣ 8♠ 8♥ K♥, making two pair, queens and eights, with a king kicker. This beats Carol's hand of Q♥ Q♣ 8♠ 8♥ 10♦ by virtue of his king kicker.

    Suppose the final card was the A♠, making the final board 8♠ Q♣ 8♥ 4♣ A♠. Bob and Carol still each have two pair (Queens and eights), but both of them are now entitled to play the final ace as their fifth card, making their hands both two pair, queens and eights, with an ace kicker. Bob's king no longer plays, because the ace on the board plays as the fifth card in both hands, and a hand is only composed of five cards. They therefore tie and split the pot.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    David King | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484

    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

  10. #10
    Super Moderator OreoGaborio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    MA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    37,168

    Re: Quick question on the rules of Texas Hold 'Em

    this game sucks.

    ... even if i am still up like 500 bucks

    (I was player 1)

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Pete LRRS/CCS #82 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays, Ironstone Ventures
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

    The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650

  11. #11
    Lifer RyanNicholson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Canterbury, NH
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,483

    Re: Quick question on the rules of Texas Hold 'Em

    its the best 5 card hand between the players cards and the community cards....the 9 in your hand and the 8 in theirs shouldn't matter.

    if a royal flush shows in the community cards, everyone splits (for example)


    thats how i've always known the game to be played

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  12. #12

    Re: Quick question on the rules of Texas Hold 'Em

    the best 5 cards.............that's it!!!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Mike 37

  13. #13
    Resident Turkey Tricky Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The burbs... where dreams go to die
    Posts
    5,952

    Re: Quick question on the rules of Texas Hold 'Em

    yep. Split.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Rider. Just a rider... DucDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southern NH
    Age
    69
    Posts
    8,806

    Re: Quick question on the rules of Texas Hold 'Em

    Quote Originally Posted by daviid View Post
    -2

    you cant use 6 cards in a game that based off of 5 cards. you split the pot


    Kickers and ties

    Because of the presence of community cards in Texas hold 'em, different players' hands can often run very close in value. As a result, it is not uncommon for kickers to be used to determine the winning hand and also for two hands to tie. A kicker is a card which is part of the five card poker hand, but is not used in determining a hand's rank. For instance, in the hand A-A-A-K-Q, the king and queen are kickers.

    The following situation illustrates the importance of breaking ties with kickers and card ranks, as well as the use of the five-card rule. After the turn, the board and players' hole cards are as follows.
    Board (after the turn)
    8♠ Q♣ 8♥ 4♣
    Bob
    K♥ Q♠

    Carol
    Q♥ 10♦

    At the moment, Bob is in the lead with a hand of Q♠ Q♣ 8♠ 8♥ K♥, making two pair, queens and eights, with a king kicker. This beats Carol's hand of Q♥ Q♣ 8♠ 8♥ 10♦ by virtue of his king kicker.

    Suppose the final card was the A♠, making the final board 8♠ Q♣ 8♥ 4♣ A♠. Bob and Carol still each have two pair (Queens and eights), but both of them are now entitled to play the final ace as their fifth card, making their hands both two pair, queens and eights, with an ace kicker. Bob's king no longer plays, because the ace on the board plays as the fifth card in both hands, and a hand is only composed of five cards. They therefore tie and split the pot.
    It amazes me that anyone feels they need to add anything after this post....

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
    Muhammad Ali.

  15. #15
    Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Foxboro, MA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    7,601

    Re: Quick question on the rules of Texas Hold 'Em

    Quote Originally Posted by Denno View Post
    split the pot you dumb fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Denno View Post
    did i stutter?
    it amazes me after my posts - is everyone blocking me???





    4k post btw

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

  16. #16
    recluse Dangerz0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North Providence
    Posts
    350

    Re: Quick question on the rules of Texas Hold 'Em

    Quote Originally Posted by Denno View Post
    it amazes me after my posts - is everyone blocking me???





    4k post btw



    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  17. #17
    Lifer BostonSVkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    North Reading (also known as the North Pole)
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: Quick question on the rules of Texas Hold 'Em

    Some people just dont understand a 5 card poker game.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

  18. #18
    Super Moderator OreoGaborio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    MA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    37,168

    Re: Quick question on the rules of Texas Hold 'Em

    Quote Originally Posted by BostonSVkid View Post
    Some people just dont understand a 5 card poker game.
    Ohhhhhhh. You must be one of those guys I see on TV playing in the World Poker Tour, huh.
    Goooo fawk yasellfffffffffffffffffff.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by OreoGaborio; 01-30-08 at 12:04 PM.
    -Pete LRRS/CCS #82 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays, Ironstone Ventures
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

    The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650

  19. #19
    Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Foxboro, MA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    7,601

    Re: Quick question on the rules of Texas Hold 'Em

    Quote Originally Posted by OreoGitorio View Post
    Ohhhhhhh. You must be one of those guys I see on TV playing in the World Poker Tour, huh.
    Goooo fawk yasellfffffffffffffffffff.
    you're definitely not

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

  20. #20
    Super Moderator OreoGaborio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    MA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    37,168

    Re: Quick question on the rules of Texas Hold 'Em

    GOFAWKYASELFFFFFFFFFF!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Pete LRRS/CCS #82 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays, Ironstone Ventures
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

    The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650

  21. #21
    Lifer BostonSVkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    North Reading (also known as the North Pole)
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: Quick question on the rules of Texas Hold 'Em

    Quote Originally Posted by OreoGitorio View Post
    Ohhhhhhh. You must be one of those guys I see on TV playing in the World Poker Tour, huh.
    Goooo fawk yasellfffffffffffffffffff.
    No definitely not. Just smarter than the average bear and play quite a bit of poker.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

Similar Threads

  1. Rules Question
    By Evil_Weasel in forum Pit Area
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-16-07, 07:44 AM
  2. just a quick question
    By PjCBR600 in forum Bike Maintenance
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-22-05, 02:43 PM
  3. A quick question???
    By CBRRdee in forum General Bike Related
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-06-05, 12:05 PM
  4. quick question
    By Kham in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-02-04, 09:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •