Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Racedeck garage tiles - tips or thoughts?

World Trackday Champion xxaarraa's Avatar
    iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Racedeck garage tiles - tips or thoughts?

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of putting down some racedeck tiles on the floor of my garage. Like so:

Garage Flooring and shop flooring - RaceDeck Garage Floors

I don't want anything fancy, I am leaning towards their "CircleTrac" line in all black with a red border around the perimeter.

A few questions -

• I read the previous threads here about racedeck vs Epoxy, and see the potential downside of spills. Seems like something I can live with?
    • I know epoxy is cheaper, anyone know how much cheaper? I intend to go get full measurements, but I'd say my garage is a standard 2 car garage - see pic. I went to racedeck's floor designer, and they say that I'd need 480 tiles, which works out to about $1100 all in.
    • Any tips or things to look for before ordering and taking on this project?
    • Is there a preferred place to buy them from, other than racedeck directly? Amazon has 25 pack bundles on prime for about the lowest a cursory Internet search will bring up.

Thanks a lot,

Racedeck garage tiles - tips or thoughts?-00000img_00000_burst20170422144021_cover-01-jpg

0 Not allowed!
    All you need to know about NESR:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
    Personally, I would just call up Shell and see which bike they have specified for Rotella.

iTrader Score

Re: Racedeck garage tiles - tips or thoughts?

That garage floor is stained and cracked all to hell, skip the epoxy and go racedeck.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / ??? - 2009 XC-W 300

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

garagejournal.com has lots of threads on this stuff, from memory Race Deck flooring is very popular.

0 Not allowed!
    '00 Honda VFR 800, '01 Subaru Outback, '03 Porsche 911, '05 KTM 300 EXC, '08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S, '14 Honda CRF 250R

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

I read the title of the thread and saw "REDNECK garage tiles" and couldn't wait to read. Oh, the disappointment...

7 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post

I read the title of the thread and saw "REDNECK garage tiles" and couldn't wait to read. Oh, the disappointment...
    So... neatly flattened PBR cases, sealed with bartop epoxy?

3 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / ??? - 2009 XC-W 300

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    So... neatly flattened PBR cases, sealed with bartop epoxy?
    I dunno! That's my point! I couldn't wait to see. I'm left feeling so empty...like a really shitty ending to a movie...

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

iTrader Score

beer caps ground into a dirt floor.

The only thing I've seen about Racedeck that would keep me from using them is spills/leaks can get down through the cracks. Not quickly, but still end up with antifreeze and oil under them. I'm messy in the garage...

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

iTrader Score

Blitz® Oil Drip Pan (11430) - Funnels, Pans & Syphons - Ace Hardware

I have three or four of these now, they go under any potential EPA Superfund Site.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Blitz® Oil Drip Pan (11430) - Funnels, Pans & Syphons - Ace Hardware

I have three or four of these now, they go under any potential EPA Superfund Site.
    You paid $15 for a cookie sheet to use in your garage? $7.99 for a two pack on Amazon, non stick, Prime eligible.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    You paid $15 for a cookie sheet to use in your garage? $7.99 for a two pack on Amazon, non stick, Prime eligible.
    You find me an oven to put a 2' by 4' cookie sheet in... You can pick them up from Walmart for $12 IIRC, it's where I got mine.

1 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook

iTrader Score

Or tin foil?

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

That garage would need some serious prep to get a good coat of epoxy on it too, factor that into the price / effort.

0 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Anyone know the difference between "RaceDeck" and "Speedway" brand tiles in terms of durability/quality? Speedway seems quite noticeably cheaper. Assuming a 480 sq. ft floor space, RaceDeck would run me ~$1725 and Speedway would be just about $1000.

Amazon.com: Speedway Garage Tile 789453B-50 Diamond Garage Floor 6 LOCK Diamond Tile 50 Pack, Black: Home Improvement

0 Not allowed!
    Personally, I would just call up Shell and see which bike they have specified for Rotella.

iTrader Score

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks Falko. Seems Speedway was their first pick for best value.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

IF you read the article on Racedeck vs Swisstrack or whatever it is called, there is a comment in there about not really needing a floor that will hold 40,000 lbs.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer
    iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

I would take a hard look at the Racedeck Freeflow series of tiles. The solid tiles are nice in the Midwest where there is no snow to contend with, or showroom garages where you will never do work in there, but solid tiles become a slip and fall hazard with a few drops of oil. They are also a PITA to clean and keep clean. With the Freeflow tiles snow, salt, oil, everything just goes straight through to the subfloor. When I lived down in Mass we used to just vacuum/leaf blow once a year to clean underneath. Yeah, they are more expensive, but you also don't have the upkeep of solid tiles.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Okay, don't laugh. I always thought you were a chick. No shit. The interwebz machine is funny like that sometimes...
    '16 Tiger 800 XCx

iTrader Score

Since you asked for opinions, am I the only one who sees these things as an expensive not-so-great solution to a non existent problem?

Concrete might not look all fancy, but it's pretty damn functional when combined with stuff that leaks and drips off your vehicles and the associated speedy-dry, push brooms, and leaf blowers. The last thing I wanna be worried about when working on vehicles or chain saws is my Lego floor.

2 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Since you asked for opinions, am I the only one who sees these things as an expensive not-so-great solution to a non existent problem?

Concrete might not look all fancy, but it's pretty damn functional when combined with stuff that leaks and drips off your vehicles and the associated speedy-dry, push brooms, and leaf blowers. The last thing I wanna be worried about when working on vehicles or chain saws is my Lego floor.
    I agree. I see these as showroom pieces. If you have ferrari's and such it looks amazing. But in an average or crappy garage that will get sand, salt, oil etc on or under the tiles on the daily, what is the point?

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

I've considered it. I have salt damage and lots of stains in my garage floor. The stains don't offend me that much, but plenty of people are turned off by it. What does offend me is the degrading concrete floor. Every couple weeks I sweep out a few cups of concrete dust, sometimes a few chips too. The floor isn't getting any better.

Interlocking floor tiles at ~$2/sqft isn't that bad is fucking insane. My garage is a little under 24x24.. so I'd be looking at $300 $1200. Not to brag, but I can afford that. I can buy a motorcycle for that. So just no.

Not sold yet. But to make the floor more stable and more attractive. Yeah.. maybe.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 04-26-17 at 09:50 AM. Reason: kan do maths

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post

Interlocking floor tiles at ~$2/sqft isn't that bad. My garage is a little under 24x24.. so I'd be looking at $300. Not to brag, but I can afford that.
    coughcheckyermath

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

I've considered it. I have salt damage and lots of stains in my garage floor. The stains don't offend me that much, but plenty of people are turned off by it. What does offend me is the degrading concrete floor. Every couple weeks I sweep out a few cups of concrete dust, sometimes a few chips too. The floor isn't getting any better.

Interlocking floor tiles at ~$2/sqft isn't that bad. My garage is a little under 24x24.. so I'd be looking at $300. Not to brag, but I can afford that.

Not sold yet. But to make the floor more stable and more attractive. Yeah.. maybe.
    Precisely the same reason I started looking into them. Cleanliness. My garage floor is stained and worn and I would like a cleaner more presentable space where I spend a lot of my time.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by xxaarraa; 04-26-17 at 09:42 AM.

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    coughcheckyermath
    He he.. fuck me. Disregard.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

1. Concrete sealant works well for this. Keeps the dust down and stuff from sticking. Proper prep and it will last a long time, recoat every few years. One thing about these tiles is using a jack. You can damage them pretty good with all that weight on a central spot.

2. "So, if you invest $2.76 a week, at 7% interest of return, you'll reach your goal of $4MM in the bank by the time you're 50."

0 Not allowed!

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Interlocking floor tiles at ~$2/sqft isn't that bad is fucking insane. My garage is a little under 24x24.. so I'd be looking at $300 $1200. Not to brag, but I can afford that. I can buy a motorcycle for that. So just no.

All the tiles will do is hide the fact that your floor is degrading until such a time as you remove the tiles and realize that your floor needs to be redone. Though I do understand the desire to have a presentable and clean work environment.

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS NV #300

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast