Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Racedeck garage tiles - tips or thoughts?

iTrader Score

Re: Racedeck garage tiles - tips or thoughts?

We can all spend our money as we choose. I've looked at these but the just don't make sense to me. My concrete is pretty typical, a little worn, stained and the occasional shallow chunk. Every 4/5 years Ill mover everything out, clean the floor, patch a bit if necessary and apply some good garage floor paint with some no skid. No serious prep, acid etch, etc. It holds up fine and sets me back maybe $100 every 4 years.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

how do they work for moving or working with something with castor wheels, tool box, creeper, floor jacks, etc ?

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

iTrader Score

://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/northeast/2809548-garage-floor-epoxy-or-tile.html

There's a good thread for pros and cons from people who have used both. I'd never use race deck, personally. I've used Rust-Oleum's commercial concrete sealers, paints, and fillers. It's top-notch. Years of forklifts driving/pushing skids over the epoxy filler has yet to scratch it, let alone get it to separate from the concrete. Preparation is key with any concrete repair, coating.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    All the tiles will do is hide the fact that your floor is degrading until such a time as you remove the tiles and realize that your floor needs to be redone. Though I do understand the desire to have a presentable and clean work environment.
    My thinking was for <$500 it would keep me from chipping away at the floor anymore and float across the holes and such I already have.
    Naturally I was working the calculator wrong. At >$1200 I'm out and will live with it.

My first reaction when I opened the link Falko posted was that the prices have come down substantially. (They have, just not as substantially as my crap math skills led me to believe.)

One of these days I need to move everything out, clean, prep, and patch. One of these days. ... Or sell the damned thing and let someone else deal with it.

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

I had a customer do Stonehard in his equipment room and had some left over material, enough to do my garage. I was this close || to getting a batch but was denied. That stuff is great but $$$$.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

iTrader Score

We use racedeck flooring in some of our commercial garages in boston to identify the EV charging spaces. It looks good but is really not intended for daily commercial use. At the sites where we see the most usage tiles have cracked-for NESR be aware these wont support the weight of a bike's kickstand and will crack over time. I would go epoxy and in fact am epoxying my garage floor either this weekend or next weekend. Just got all of the supplies in last week. A little more prep involved but definitely a more durable product.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Anyone Epoxy a plywood floor? We have a new shed and some folks say the Epoxy is great, while others say because the plywood gives under load and the Epoxy is brittle, it will crack and flake over time.

Others say latex floor/deck paint doesn’t hold up either. Have to say the Behr textured deck paint used on the HF trailer seems like it will hold up well but we’ve only had it a couple weeks.

Apparently there is such a thing as smooth bedliner, which sounds like it might be yet another choice.

Don’t want to make a bad choice but want to get on with it so we can start filling the shed with junk we’ll never use.....

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 10-08-17 at 07:21 AM.
    WR250R | TW200 | Tiger 1050 ABS | CRF100F | R90/6

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott

High maintenance priss
    iTrader Score
    6 (100%)

I used garage floor epoxy for the plywood in one of my enclosed trailers with aluminum oxide (? the 'sand' they sell for grip)...no plastic chips. Worked fine, held up great. I don't recall if it was a true 2-part epoxy or single.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Anyone Epoxy a plywood floor? We have a new shed and some folks say the Epoxy is great, while others say because the plywood gives under load and the Epoxy is brittle, it will crack and flake over time.

Others say latex floor/deck paint doesn’t hold up either. Have to say the Behr textured deck paint used on the HF trailer seems like it will hold up well but we’ve only had it a couple weeks.

Apparently there is such a thing as smooth bedliner, which sounds like it might be yet another choice.

Don’t want to make a bad choice but want to get on with it so we can start filling the shed with junk we’ll never use.....
    I'd say it depends on how structurally sound the shed in question is. You probably have ceramic tile somewhere in your house, doesn't get much more brittle than that. Tile on thinset mortar, typically either on cement backer board or a masonry subfloor, which is all installed on plywood subfloor over wood framing. Doubtful your shed's floor is framed as well as house but it may be.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

How thick is the plywood on the floor?

If you're worried about it flexing, put down another layer of plywood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    How thick is the plywood on the floor?

If you're worried about it flexing, put down another layer of plywood.
    The shed has joists on 12” spacing with two layers of plywood over it. Not sure it will take the tractor but those upgrades were only a few hundred bucks each.

Went to LaValley’s Builder Supply and talked to their paint dude. Epoxy would work, but he recommended Rustoleum floor paint. Two coats are recommended but it’s self priming. It’s available in quart cans everywhere so We can touch up easily if needed. $33 a gallon.

We also have a 24x24 garage so that will get Epoxy.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 10-09-17 at 05:29 PM.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    We also have a 24x24 garage so that will get Epoxy.
    Any issues with water coming up through the concrete floor of the garage? Worked in a building which at the time had the largest single pour epoxy floor in the world (or so I was told) that had all sorts of issues over the years of moisture coming up through the floor and creating bubbles in the epoxy. The bubbles were repaired using a sealant to prevent the moisture from coming up through the concrete and dislodging the epoxy.

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS NV #300

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

I'd say that one argument you could make in favor of epoxy is that you don't have a ton of stuff on the floor of your garage. I considered doing mine when/before I moved in, and I wish I had. Now, the idea of putting all of my shit in the driveway for a few days is out of the question.

What's your goal? Cleaner look? Keep dust down? Your space is much better than mine.

0 Not allowed!

World Trackday Champion xxaarraa's Avatar
    iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
    I'd say that one argument you could make in favor of epoxy is that you don't have a ton of stuff on the floor of your garage. I considered doing mine when/before I moved in, and I wish I had. Now, the idea of putting all of my shit in the driveway for a few days is out of the question.

What's your goal? Cleaner look? Keep dust down? Your space is much better than mine.
    Exactly, in the same boat. I wish I had done it before I moved stuff into garage. For that reason alone, I think I will go with these tiles when I get around to doing this project over the winter.

0 Not allowed!
    All you need to know about NESR:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
    Personally, I would just call up Shell and see which bike they have specified for Rotella.

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Any issues with water coming up through the concrete floor of the garage? Worked in a building which at the time had the largest single pour epoxy floor in the world (or so I was told) that had all sorts of issues over the years of moisture coming up through the floor and creating bubbles in the epoxy. The bubbles were repaired using a sealant to prevent the moisture from coming up through the concrete and dislodging the epoxy.
    They tell you to tape a piece of plastic over the floor, and if any condensation appears - too wet. So I’m going to check.

0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12