Radians Custom Molded Earplugs

Radians Custom Molded Earplugs

I've used Radian ear plugs and found they work well for dropping the noise level. When mixed per instruction and finished curing the mixture is pretty hard. Anyone try mixing less of the hardener to make them a bit more pliable?

0 Not allowed!

Re: Radians Custom Molded Earplugs

Haven't tried that but I've used them to make custom ear plugs for my earbuds. It took my Bose in ear noise cancelling buds to an entirely new level.

0 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Tried two types of custom made plugs, including the radians.

I’m now using a giant box of disposables that have a higher rating and feel much better in a helmet. Something to keep in mind.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1986 Honda Oldwing Medicaide
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Cat herder

I tried the custom thing (don't recall the brand... found the kit in the sporting goods dept at Walmart).

First try, I found that my helmet presses on my ears, so the plugs don't fit the way they did when molded.

So I tried again, this time putting tape over my ears and putting the helmet on while they cured. Still didn't fully seal. Stopped screwing with 'em at that point.

I use disposables now, that come with a neck cord. There are lots of different types of foam used in disposables... the ones I like are on the stiffer side so I can insert them without having them mash out of shape. 3M 1110.

0 Not allowed!

It's also unlikely that using less hardener would actually help you. It would more likely just end up with crappy plugs.

I don't know specifically what Radians is using, but they claim it to be some sort of silicon, and silicons don't achieve different hardnesses based on the amount of hardener used. The hardener just causes the silicon to harden.

Take a look at PlatSil(R) Gels | Polytek Development Corp. as an example and note that they sell many different types of silicon with different hardness, all of which use the exact same hardener and the hardener is always mixed in the same ratio.

0 Not allowed!

So digging around I found a box of the Radians Custom molded Earplugs that I bought a couple years ago but must have stuck in a draw and forgot about. My understanding is the company say the stuff has a shelf life of a couple years, beyond that its iffy that the stuff would setup and cure correctly. That said I had little to lose by doing a little experimenting.

The package comes with 2 different materials that when mixed evenly cure firm in the shape of whatever was the mold. I’ve used these pack in the past with good success and can vouch for the large drop in noise getting through compared to any foam plugs I had tried. The box states they test to a 26 decibel drop in noise, but I wouldn’t have any way to confirm that. My only real complaint was the cured material seemed overly firm.

Anyway, it seems the manufacturer included more than enough of each compound to do a set of plugs for someone with large ears. The few times I’ve made them I’ve found 2/3rd to of each pack is more than enough for a set that drops the noise w/o pressing out against the helmet pads. That meant after making a set I’d be left with a little to try some changes.

That said, instead of mixing the blue and white compounds 50/50 as directed I made one batch with a bit more blue and the other with a bit more white compound. The one with more white compound cured firmer than the 50/50 mix and took about the same amount of time to setup (about 15 minutes). The one with more blue cured softer than the 50/50 mix but took probably 30 minutes to setup and most of a day to cure.

Since the softer set did finally cure and hold shape as well as the 50/50 mix, I’ll buy another pack and try making another set a of plugs with the softer mix ratio. My only concern is sitting still long enough for the mix to setup enough to get them out w/o tearing them.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by 02redhawk; 02-11-18 at 08:52 PM.