Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Range Rover

Range Rover

One of my subcontractors stopped by today with his new SVR. 575hp supercharged V8, premium everything. Carbon and aluminum construction. I could not pass up the offer to drive it, and now Iím fucking ruined!! Absolute rocket-ship and stupid luxury.

Shame itís not in my budget for the wardens new ride (I am kicking this can for as long as possible.)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Range Rover

It will break by the end of the week.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    It will break by the end of the week.
    My fear of these vehicles as well. He said he bought warranty to 100k miles, so heís planning to keep it. As long as I wasnít on the hook for repairs I guess I could stomach it - one time getting stranded between Phoenix and LA would probably change that mindset!

The acceleration was just fucking brutal though...

Jaguar Land Rover is hurting right now. Sales way down due to quality concerns. Glad we caught that as Big Shirl's been hot for the Jaguar SUV's & a couple Land Rover models.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Best friend has on RR sport with the supercharged 6 ( this guy isn't into fast cars) and it a nice fucking ride. interesting combo though, white with black wheels and interior is bright red/black. he loves it. so far no real issues other than then a steering wheel being replaced. but its only like 2 years old. I do like the screen setup inside. but dont trust it.

They just stuffed the V8 into the new Defender too.

As long as it's warrantied and not your only car I don't see a problem with reliability. They usually give you a nice loaner too.

We all pick and chose our comfort level of cars reliability that we can stomach. I drive a 17 year old Volvo. I've been trained to stomach little problems well.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Coworker's wife has one and it spends more time in the shop then she gets to drive it if that means anything

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I feel like Rovers get a bad rap...I've had like 10 0f therm over the years from Discovery I through newer full sized Ranges...all pre-owned in the 30-110k mile range. Last one was a V8 Supercharged sport dynamic...reprogrammed fuel curves for about 600HP (that's all they do to the SVR to get it from 510 to 575 anyway...that and an active exhaust) and they've all been pretty reliable. If you can wrench yourself they're easy to take care of. Trouble is if something DOES break, parts are indeed expensive and if you give to a dealer you get killed. Do it yourself or find a good indy and you're ok...which I realize isn't always an option for some people.

My brother had a 2004 Range that I’ve never seen a vehicle be on a flat bed more.

Things would happen like a hose needed to be replaced and it required taking the whole front end apart.

At one point some higher up from Land Rover was asked about their questionable reliability and he answered it doesn’t stop people from lining up to buy them.

And THAT is why everyone should boycott Land Rover.

The sheer arrogance.

Are you a Hollywood star that puts very few miles on your Range to be see ? Buy one. When it breaks down you will get a loaner.

If you actually use a vehicle and expect it to perform, pass on LR.

Seriously? Buy a Hyundai Palisade or Kia Telluride and tell me you hate those cars

Your park avenue leads to..

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Range Rover

Telluride looks amazing. SIL just got one, her and my brother say it feels German. Apparently some Audi design engineer was hired a while back to improve quality and dynamics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Telluride looks amazing. SIL just got one, her and my brother say it feels German. Apparently some Audi design engineer was hired a while back to improve quality and dynamics.
    We have a 2020 Palisade and it's awesome. Would recommend.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    My brother had a 2004 Range that I’ve never seen a vehicle be on a flat bed more.

Things would happen like a hose needed to be replaced and it required taking the whole front end apart.

At one point some higher up from Land Rover was asked about their questionable reliability and he answered it doesn’t stop people from lining up to buy them.

And THAT is why everyone should boycott Land Rover.

The sheer arrogance.

Are you a Hollywood star that puts very few miles on your Range to be see ? Buy one. When it breaks down you will get a loaner.

If you actually use a vehicle and expect it to perform, pass on LR.

Seriously? Buy a Hyundai Palisade or Kia Telluride and tell me you hate those cars
    While all that's true and nobody doubts that old Land Rovers are junk, cars are emotional purchases.

If we only used logic we'd all be buying Toyotas and Tesla's.

I have zero interest in owning an SUV or a truck. Even though I have a need, my wagon with the tow hitch and trailers still fulfills that need.

With that said Defender hits the right notes and I could see it my future. Wife wants an XC90 which are neat but not my cup of tea.

We right now have a 2017 Hyundai Elantra that we got into by essentially an accident, never went out looking for one. It works. Works well all things considered. Well equipped for what it is and drives well. Hardly exciting.

Full disclosure, I've tried to upsell her on Telluride because they are great for money and great at being an SUV. She wasn't interested.

Last edited by Vovchandr; 03-19-21 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    While all that's true and nobody doubts that old Land Rovers are junk, cars are emotional purchases.

If we only used logic we'd all be buying Toyotas and Tesla's.

I have zero interest in owning an SUV or a truck. Even though I have a need, my wagon with the tow hitch and trailers still fulfills that need.

With that said Defender hits the right notes and I could see it my future. Wife wants an XC90 which are neat but not my cup of tea.

We right now have a 2017 Hyundai Elantra that we got into by essentially an accident, never went out looking for one. It works. Works well all things considered. Well equipped for what it is and drives well. Hardly exciting.

Full disclosure, I've tried to upsell her on Telluride because they are great for money and great at being an SUV. She wasn't interested.
    What classifies as old

What classifies as old
    As a random ballpark rubric I wouldn't trust any outside of factory/CPO warranty periods or 10 years/100,000 miles.

Other factor is specific to certain generations of cars when they had "bad batches".

Certain Hyundai's that set on fire, certain generation diesel trucks that you should avoid and a certain era of Land Rovers that were either particularly bad models on their own or due to their partnership with Ford at the time.

New models that started under Tata should be considered as their own period due to new ownership, standards practices etc.

I'm still not saying they are reliable but you can't judge new models by the old.

Long story short, (un)reliability of Land Rover models within the last 5 years that aren't high on miles is the rubric that I'd be judging the company by for my decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Albert biermann. was the head of BMW M for the glory days. now has made hyundai/kia/genesis amazing

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    Albert biermann. was the head of BMW M for the glory days. now has made hyundai/kia/genesis amazing
    What do you call the glory days? Bierman participated in the E30 M3 development. Erik Wensberg, who lives in New England, was the M brand director through the 80s when they dominated DTM and was instrumental in bringing the E36 M3 to the US market. That was when M stood for more for motorsport and less of marketing in my mind.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Lol. When Kia puts out a performance suv with 575hp...

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    Yeah there is definitely some BMW influence in the latest Hyundai/Kias. I have an old 135i and my wife has the Telluride, and the dash layouts and general "feel" of the vehicles are very similar, like they're related in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Lol. When Kia puts out a performance suv with 575hp...
    Yeah that's probably not going to happen any time soon... Although I have to say when I jump in the SUV on Friday to go skiing up north, I really appreciate not having to stop for gas every 100 miles. To me that's more important than being able to do sick burnouts, at least in an SUV.

Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

Quote Originally Posted by joeswamp View Post

Yeah that's probably not going to happen any time soon... Although I have to say when I jump in the SUV on Friday to go skiing up north, I really appreciate not having to stop for gas every 100 miles. To me that's more important than being able to do sick burnouts, at least in an SUV.
    Cool, youíre clearly not in the RR target market. There wonít be one in my driveway either. Doesnít diminish the fact itís an amazing performance machine with incredible luxury - miles away from a Kia.

Range Rover-22be0b30-bc24-4ed2-8d7f-e9f00cb14e4a
    Cool, you’re clearly not in the RR target market. There won’t be one in my driveway either. Doesn’t diminish the fact it’s an amazing performance machine with incredible luxury - miles away from a Kia.
    Range Rover-a47e1401-6f49-42cc-bd62-94ca59a8ec04

Pretty damn nice interior.

They have the platform, if they drop an exceptional engine in it...

Genesis currently has a 430hp engine. It will be interesting what the future brings.

But what’s the point of 575hp if it’s likely unreliable.

The RR is way overrated.

Last edited by Gixxer; 03-20-21 at 03:24 PM.

Range Rover-22be0b30-bc24-4ed2-8d7f-e9f00cb14e4a

Range Rover-a47e1401-6f49-42cc-bd62-94ca59a8ec04

Pretty damn nice interior.

They have the platform, if they drop an exceptional engine in it...

But whatís the point of 575hp if itís likely unreliable.

The RR is way overrated.
    If youíre a kia owner and like it, thatís awesome. Kia and RR are not comparable, no matter how much you want to believe otherwise. Itís a long way from just ďdropping an exceptional engine in itĒ. Nobody is bashing kia.

Everyone knows about the reliability. Some people want it anyway.

If you’re a kia owner and like it, that’s awesome. Kia and RR are not comparable, no matter how much you want to believe otherwise. It’s a long way from just “dropping an exceptional engine in it”. Nobody is bashing kia.

I disagree. The luxury is there. Only thing missing is over the top power and people to drop the stigma.

But again, it’s not impressive to me what numbers a company can produce if they cants or don’t care to perfect it.

If you’re a kia owner and like it, that’s awesome. Kia and RR are not comparable, no matter how much you want to believe otherwise. It’s a long way from just “dropping an exceptional engine in it”. Nobody is bashing kia.

Did you really just say a Kia is reliable?

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Did you really just say a Kia is reliable?
    Ironically there was a time Land Rover and Kia were at the bottom of the reliability rankings. I think early to mid 2000s.

Kia has vastly improved, I consider Kia and Hyundai to almost be to Toyota Honda Mazda levels.

Ymmv

I disagree. The luxury is there. Only thing missing is over the top power and people to drop the stigma.

But again, itís not impressive to me what numbers a company can produce if they cants or donít care to perfect it.
    Oh I see. The Kia luxury is already on par with RR. All a kia suv needs is more hp.

Fucking delusional at best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast