Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What are you reading?

What are you reading?

Anyone reading anything good? I made it a goal to almost completely stay off television for this year. I never watched a lot of TV to begin with but with sports being pretty much done for 2020 I can't keep watching re runs. I set a goal for two books a month just as some random benchmark.

Anyways some stuff I liked:
    All American Murder, James Patterson. About Aaron Hernandez.
    Call Sign Chaos, James Mattis. About his career, military and political experience. Has a lot of leadership and interpersonal elements as well.
    Kitchen Confidential, Anthony Bourdain
    Smokejumpers, Jason Ramos. About the elite wildland firefighters who parachute into remote fires.
    No One Would Listen, Harry Markopolus. About chasing madoff and trying to bring him down.
    No Easy Day, Mark Owen. He was on the seal team that raided bin ladens compound and killed him.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by 01xj; 04-29-20 at 08:26 AM.

Re: What are you reading?

Kingkiller Chronicles, Patrick Rothfuss. Fair warning the trilogy is unfinished with no end in sight. Awesome read though.
    The Gossamer Mage, Julie Czerneda. Was a decent read but didn't blow me away or anything.
    The Farseer Trilogy, Robin Hobb. This series started strong but left me unsatisfied in the end.

I also just reread the Harry Potter books for the first time since I was a kid because well, we're quarantined and life is boring. Definitely don't read the same at 30 as they did at 8-15 but it was fun for nostalgia anyway.

Are you guys talking about those book thingies?

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

This is when I regret hating Kindle's and preferring real books. Closed library means limited options past what I already own

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

I don't know what the percentage split is between those members who can read and those who can't, but my guess is it's pretty close to 50/50. This thread could be short lived.

Last edited by Not Sure; 04-29-20 at 09:39 AM. Reason: stupidity

I'm studying up for my Private Pilot Certificate written test so when this thing is over I can move forward with my new hobby. I don't like reading to begin with so reading a text book is not different than reading a novel in my eyes. It's the taking notes part that is a PIA.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    This is when I regret hating Kindle's and preferring real books. Closed library means limited options past what I already own
    I've bought quite a few books lately to try to keep me entertained. Buying used lots off of eBay has been my jam to get them cheap.

Right now I am reading The Happy Runner by David and Megan Roche. Really enjoying it so far.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post

I also just reread the Harry Potter books for the first time since I was a kid because well, we're quarantined and life is boring. Definitely don't read the same at 30 as they did at 8-15 but it was fun for nostalgia anyway.
    I actually read them for the first time at 30. Haven't seen the movies in years. Let me tell I don't think it's the age that makes it now the same now but first read experience.

Reading them for the first time I found them quite enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
    I don't know what the percentage split is between those members who can read and those you can't, but my guess is it's pretty close to 50/50. This thread could be short lived.
    As opposed to those who can or can not craft a post?

("those you can't")

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    As opposed to those who can or can not craft a post?

("those you can't")
    Ha! Sorry, I was trying to read at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    I actually read them for the first time at 30. Haven't seen the movies in years. Let me tell I don't think it's the age that makes it now the same now but first read experience.

Reading them for the first time I found them quite enjoyable.
    I guess I was vague in my post. I still enjoyed them, it's just reading them now I was a little turned off by Rowling's writing for the first few books. I'm not sure if she got better as she went on, or if I just adjusted to it. I read them all in about a week and a half, so I was pretty immersed. I actually really enjoyed reading some of the later books having seen the movies because some of the scenes are a little hard to visualize, but they did so well on the later movies that they made a good jumping off point. To be fair, they were also her first books. So it'd be hard to blame her if the first few were a little rough in some ways, even if the story was still enjoyable.

I can't recommend the Rothfuss books enough though.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
    Ha! Sorry, I was trying to read at the same time.

The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman
    Letters by Hunter S. Thompson.

Only really knew him as a personality - he was a great writer and took it very seriously. Wrote friends, family and all kinds of others. This batch was before he wrote the Hells Angels book and got all famous. What attracted me was one of his more famous quotes:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Radicalized by Corey doctrow. Kind of a quick read, 4 short stories that present a scary picture of what could be come. Kind of like 1984 but about the present and future.

Just started John Bolton's book. Lots of big words. 500 pages. Gonna take a while but should be worth it.

Currently reading River of Doubt by Candice Millard. Solid book so far, it chronicles the Roosevelt expedition to chart an unknown river in the Amazon.

I go in and out of reading phases. This is my first book hopping back in, I decided I wanted to read books on expeditions. So far, not disappointed.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Currently reading River of Doubt by Candice Millard. Solid book so far, it chronicles the Roosevelt expedition to chart an unknown river in the Amazon.

I go in and out of reading phases. This is my first book hopping back in, I decided I wanted to read books on expeditions. So far, not disappointed.
    I really liked that one. He was such a bad ass.

Just finished the first Maze Runner. I like sci-fi stuff.
    If you haven't read them, The Martian and Ready Player One were impossible to put down.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 07-07-20 at 09:01 PM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Just finished this. Good read, amazing guy. Next up is either the Mary Trump book or “The Only Plane In The Sky”

What are you reading?-570d415b-9cdd-45fc-bee6-7c99cb981573

this thread...

all I get to read is technical manuals and regulations, maybe a trade magazine when I sit on the toilet.....soon to be no longer, as they are eliminating the printed edition

what's next, a computer terminal in the bathroom to replace the magazine rack, I'm not a book person, if a magazine catches my eye while shopping, I might buy one.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by bassomatic View Post
    Just finished this. Good read, amazing guy. Next up is either the Mary Trump book or “The Only Plane In The Sky”

What are you reading?-570d415b-9cdd-45fc-bee6-7c99cb981573
    The Adm McRaven book is pretty good. If you like it, check out Gen Mattis' book, "Call Sign Chaos".

'08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    this thread...

all I get to read is technical manuals and regulations, maybe a trade magazine when I sit on the toilet.....soon to be no longer, as they are eliminating the printed edition

what's next, a computer terminal in the bathroom to replace the magazine rack, I'm not a book person, if a magazine catches my eye while shopping, I might buy one.
    Yes, I can imagine it being difficult to read when you already know literally everything.

Currently for me itís the AWS (American Welding Society) D1.8 Structural Welding Code for Seismic Applications.
    A scintillating read.

If I can make a suggestion for any riders with wanderlust - try Jupiters Travels. Its an oldie but a goodie. Im about due for a re-read.

Working through the Nathaniel Philbrick collection and currently half way through Sea of Glory. I love Philbrick's writing style and maritime connections.

I'm pretty sure the first recreational reading I took up as an adult was Vonnegut, I have a thing for dark satirical humor. I ran through all of his novels and a lot of his short fiction. After that, I struggled finding something that really captured my attention the way his writing did in spite of a lot of recommendation. My next thing was The Sean Duffy series by Adrian McKinty, it's an Irish crime series mostly set during The Troubles, very good. I see he put out another in 2019 I need to read. Then it was the Inspector Rebus series by Ian Rankin, I did about 12 or 13 books in that series before it got a bit old.

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    I'm pretty sure the first recreational reading I took up as an adult was Vonnegut, I have a thing for dark satirical humor. I ran through all of his novels and a lot of his short fiction. After that, I struggled finding something that really captured my attention the way his writing did in spite of a lot of recommendation. My next thing was The Sean Duffy series by Adrian McKinty, it's an Irish crime series mostly set during The Troubles, very good. I see he put out another in 2019 I need to read. Then it was the Inspector Rebus series by Ian Rankin, I did about 12 or 13 books in that series before it got a bit old.
    If you like Rebus you might want to try the Wallander series by Henning Mankell. Jo NesbÝ is a terrific author also.

They made Rebus into a TV show that wasn't half bad.

Last edited by number9; 07-08-20 at 10:25 AM.
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Finished In the Heart of the Sea this weekend, what a fucking calamity of tragedies that one was. Good read though, thinking on what’s next.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast