Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Results 1 to 25 of 25

Can anyone reccomend a shop that works on bmw's (cars)

  1. #1
    Senior Member Mike Qube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Medford, MA
    Posts
    525

    Can anyone reccomend a shop that works on bmw's (cars)


    I need to get my control arms replaced on my car, the shop I would normally go to is telling me it's a 5 hour job. It's a two hour job at the most. Can anyone recommend a place?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #2
    BMW track whore e30addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I93/495
    Age
    44
    Posts
    6,368

    Re: Can anyone reccomend a shop that works on bmw's (cars)


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

  3. #3
    Super-Dooper User ɹǝʍoןandɹǝʍoן's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    salem nh
    Posts
    477

    Re: Can anyone reccomend a shop that works on bmw's (cars)

    might be a hike, but CARS inc. in Salem, NH is a very good shop and they specialize in Euro cars. They have absolutely the best service and customer understandings I have experienced, and continuously have returning customers due to their quality of repair for exotics and normal cars. Might be a hike though, but right off the 93 highway over the NH border.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    01 RC51 -dd
    96 cr500 -sold
    98 superhawk -sold
    00 sv650 -sold
    78 cb750 -sold
    98 dr350 -road/street
    74 cb125 -work in progress

  4. #4
    Lifer Danz19899's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Grafton, Ma
    Posts
    1,548

    Re: Can anyone reccomend a shop that works on bmw's (cars)

    buddy of mine works at http://www.autoengineering.com

    not sure on the pricing but they do quality work

    - - - Updated - - -

    what car are you looking to get it done on?

    also which control arms need to be done? Lower arms tend to be really easy but upper arms can be a bitch

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Danz19899; 08-09-12 at 11:01 AM.

    www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

  5. #5

    Re: Can anyone reccomend a shop that works on bmw's (cars)


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  6. #6
    BMW track whore e30addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I93/495
    Age
    44
    Posts
    6,368

    Re: Can anyone reccomend a shop that works on bmw's (cars)

    Quote Originally Posted by Danz19899 View Post
    buddy of mine works at http://www.autoengineering.com

    not sure on the pricing but they do quality work

    - - - Updated - - -

    what car are you looking to get it done on?

    also which control arms need to be done? Lower arms tend to be really easy but upper arms can be a bitch

    Profile shows 325Ci. Probably E46 so early 2000's vintage.

    Front should only have lower arms. If bushings are done at the same time it's realistically 1.5 hr a side straight time, at least that's what it usually takes me.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

  7. #7
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    67
    Posts
    13,702

    Re: Can anyone reccomend a shop that works on bmw's (cars)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Qube View Post
    I need to get my control arms replaced on my car, the shop I would normally go to is telling me it's a 5 hour job. It's a two hour job at the most. Can anyone recommend a place?
    if you know that its only a 2 hour job, you must have the experience, why not do it yourself ?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  8. #8
    Senior Member Mike Qube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Medford, MA
    Posts
    525

    Re: Can anyone reccomend a shop that works on bmw's (cars)

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    if you know that its only a 2 hour job, you must have the experience, why not do it yourself ?
    I was thinking about it, but it's not something I think I want to do in my driveway.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I think I might diy it now. I just found a really good tutorial.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/wmliu/3740236590/

    I just need to get myself some jack stands.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Mike Qube; 08-09-12 at 12:33 PM.

  9. #9
    BMW track whore e30addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I93/495
    Age
    44
    Posts
    6,368

    Re: Can anyone reccomend a shop that works on bmw's (cars)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Qube View Post
    I was thinking about it, but it's not something I think I want to do in my driveway.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I think I might diy it now. I just found a really good tutorial.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/wmliu/3740236590/

    I just need to get myself some jack stands.
    It really is as easy as it looks. I do them in my driveway with no special tools. The bushings are the hardest part of the job for me. If you're even just basically mechanically inclined you can do this job.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

  10. #10
    Senior Member Mike Qube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Medford, MA
    Posts
    525

    Re: Can anyone reccomend a shop that works on bmw's (cars)

    Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    It really is as easy as it looks. I do them in my driveway with no special tools. The bushings are the hardest part of the job for me. If you're even just basically mechanically inclined you can do this job.
    You mean pressing them into the bushings? Like what the DIY guy does with the soap?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #11
    BMW track whore e30addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I93/495
    Age
    44
    Posts
    6,368

    Re: Can anyone reccomend a shop that works on bmw's (cars)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Qube View Post
    You mean pressing them into the bushings? Like what the DIY guy does with the soap?
    On and off on the bushings sounds simple in theory, but in execution can be a bitch. Borrow a puller from Autozone or similar under the loan a tool program to yank them off the arm. Pressing the stock bushing out of the lollipop is harder than it looks unless you have a hydraulic press. I don't, so I burn them out and then cut out the metal support ring.

    Pressing the new bushing in is cake on a vice, just lube the metal ring first. I use offset hole bushings to increase caster on the E30's. Applying enough pressure to put them back on the arm is tough because of the angles. Stock one's with the hole in the center are 10X easier.

    Use laundry detergent as a lube. Get the weight of the car on the suspension as quickly as possible after pressing the bushings on and bolting everything together. The manuals all recommend final bolt torques after the weight is on the suspension.

    Edit: After looking at the size of those bushings, getting them out of the lollipop loos waaaay easier on a E46 than an E30!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 08-09-12 at 04:56 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

  12. #12
    Lifer virtualbong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Framingham, MA
    Posts
    1,784

    Re: Can anyone reccomend a shop that works on bmw's (cars)

    I have only brought my car here for oil changes but people like these guys. Doesn't hurt to see what they charge.

    http://www.villageeuropean.com/services/

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  13. #13
    Lifer golden chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    1,544

    Re: Can anyone reccomend a shop that works on bmw's (cars)

    Village european is where all the techs went when we left auto engineering. I vote for village euro.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

  14. #14
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    67
    Posts
    13,702

    Re: Can anyone reccomend a shop that works on bmw's (cars)

    Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    It really is as easy as it looks.
    that's what I found with the bimmers I've owned, did struts, new hardware & tower bearings on all 4 corners of the e21 I owned in 1Ĺ hrs

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  15. #15
    Senior Member Mike Qube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Medford, MA
    Posts
    525

    Re: Can anyone reccomend a shop that works on bmw's (cars)

    Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    On and off on the bushings sounds simple in theory, but in execution can be a bitch. Borrow a puller from Autozone or similar under the loan a tool program to yank them off the arm. Pressing the stock bushing out of the lollipop is harder than it looks unless you have a hydraulic press. I don't, so I burn them out and then cut out the metal support ring.

    Pressing the new bushing in is cake on a vice, just lube the metal ring first. I use offset hole bushings to increase caster on the E30's. Applying enough pressure to put them back on the arm is tough because of the angles. Stock one's with the hole in the center are 10X easier.

    Use laundry detergent as a lube. Get the weight of the car on the suspension as quickly as possible after pressing the bushings on and bolting everything together. The manuals all recommend final bolt torques after the weight is on the suspension.
    I'm going to get new bushings with the control arms.I just ordered the Meyel HD control arms and bushings from Bav Auto.
    Here's the pic of it:


    Al I have to do is press the new ones in, I can just toss the old one with the control arm, right?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  16. #16
    Lifer golden chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    1,544

    Re: Can anyone reccomend a shop that works on bmw's (cars)

    The 21?mm nut on top of the subframe can be a bit of a pain. A ratcheting wrench makes the job easier in lieu of a 21mm flex socket on a really long extension. Having new bushings makes the job 10x easier. Yes, just chuck the old bushings.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Mike Qube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Medford, MA
    Posts
    525

    Re: Can anyone reccomend a shop that works on bmw's (cars)

    Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    The 21?mm nut on top of the subframe can be a bit of a pain. A ratcheting wrench makes the job easier in lieu of a 21mm flex socket on a really long extension. Having new bushings makes the job 10x easier. Yes, just chuck the old bushings.
    I think thats the one in the DIY that the guy said is a bitch because you only have a small space to work in.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  18. #18
    Nat Pixon! noxin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,187

    Re: Can anyone reccomend a shop that works on bmw's (cars)

    Mike, I like Smooth Automotive in West Medford, they've treated me well. Additionally, if you want, I have a pair of jack stands and Rhino Ramps you can use if you DIY

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  19. #19
    Lifer Garandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorchester, MA / Mt Sunapee, NH
    Posts
    10,703

    Re: Can anyone reccomend a shop that works on bmw's (cars)

    Quote Originally Posted by ɹǝʍoןandɹǝʍoן View Post
    might be a hike, but CARS inc. in Salem, NH is a very good shop and they specialize in Euro cars./
    He'd drive past 20 good shops to get there.

    We use Fastrack Automotive and Peabody Sunoco, both in Peabody and thus not particularly close to Mefa. But low price and BMW service seem to be mutually exclusive. I'd think the BMWCCA could recommend a place: they're very active in this area.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 08-09-12 at 04:55 PM.
    If stupidity got us into this mess, why canít it get us out?
    Will Rogers

  20. #20
    Senior Member Mike Qube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Medford, MA
    Posts
    525

    Re: Can anyone reccomend a shop that works on bmw's (cars)

    Quote Originally Posted by noxin View Post
    Mike, I like Smooth Automotive in West Medford, they've treated me well. Additionally, if you want, I have a pair of jack stands and Rhino Ramps you can use if you DIY
    I need those jack stands!! I am going to DIY, I have one set but I need another.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  21. #21
    Lifer golden chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    1,544

    Re: Can anyone reccomend a shop that works on bmw's (cars)

    Be sure to triple check yourself before you mash the thrust bushing onto the control arm, and use lots of lube.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

  22. #22
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Waterbury, VT
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,135

    Re: Can anyone reccomend a shop that works on bmw's (cars)

    This is a very easy DIY. The first one will take an hour, the second one will take 20 minutes... A pickle fork works fine (you're replacing the arms anyway, you don't need to worry about ripping the boots). The bushings do have a front/back, and a left/right. Do one side at a time. If the bushings come mounted in the holder - lay the old one on the ground, and build one just like it from the new parts.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    SSearchVT

    For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

  23. #23
    Nat Pixon! noxin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,187

    Re: Can anyone reccomend a shop that works on bmw's (cars)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Qube View Post
    I need those jack stands!! I am going to DIY, I have one set but I need another.
    I need to fetch them from storage, but I can have them at my house in the morning. Once they're here, you are welcome to come and get them at any point.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  24. #24
    Senior Member Mike Qube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Medford, MA
    Posts
    525

    Re: Can anyone reccomend a shop that works on bmw's (cars)

    If I could pick them up at the end of the week or this coming weekend, that would be very awesome.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  25. #25

    Re: Can anyone reccomend a shop that works on bmw's (cars)

    If you're still looking, Import Autowerks in Braintree does great work.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Similar Threads

  1. It works!
    By tsanterre in forum Penguin School
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-08-11, 08:38 AM
  2. See if this works...
    By DucDave in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-28-10, 04:46 PM
  3. 2001 Triumph Tiger 955i... reccomend? Anyone ridden one?
    By AimlessMoto in forum General Bike Related
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-03-09, 01:34 AM
  4. What HID's do you reccomend?
    By SportBKRider in forum General Bike Related
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 04-05-08, 01:48 PM
  5. Can anyone reccomend a good backpack?
    By schleppy in forum General Bike Related
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-19-07, 10:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •