Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Recommendations for small biometric safe?

Recommendations for small biometric safe?

Looking for something to house my 9mm and some important documents, backup hard drive, and other small valuables. Thinking shoe box size max. Mountable to bedframe, floor, wall - something like that. Biometric with some type of backup. Cheaper the better, but $200 max. Obviously I can search for Amazon four-stars, but I'd rather first-hand experience / recommendations.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Bill Cool --- LRRS/CCS EX #47 --- 2018 and 2019 LRRS Double Backup Champion GTL and ULSB, 2012 LRRS Champion AM Thunderbike --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Brunetto T-Shirts / GMD CompuTrack

Re: Recommendations for small biometric safe?

I have this model except without the biometric part.

Im very happy with it. Good size, I like the gas struts that open it when you enter the code, etc.

As with my safe I went bigger and still need more room LOLOL....just a thought

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

we just put this in.

Amazon.com : Barska Biometric Wall Safe : Gun Safes : Sports & Outdoors

Mounts between wall studs, the shelves are chintzy but doaable. I attached a magnetic hook on the outside to make it pulling open easier (no strut to open it)

no issues with the scanner at all. at all. I used it a good 200 X and no issues

and has a key to open it in case the battery dies and you cant scan to get in.

hmmmm......

Looks cool. Bunch o reviews on YouTube.

If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

rocket, what model is that?

Sorry, one other clarifying criteria - surface wall mount, not between the studs.

Bill Cool --- LRRS/CCS EX #47 --- 2018 and 2019 LRRS Double Backup Champion GTL and ULSB, 2012 LRRS Champion AM Thunderbike --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Brunetto T-Shirts / GMD CompuTrack

Why the desire for biometric from many people? Electronics on safes that I'm using for life or death are something that I tend to avoid versus seek out.
    Not because I'm worried about EMPs, but it seems like more points for failure.

I have a couple of small electronic safes and they usually open, but I've had failures - either dead battery, lost its memory, can't read my print, or wouldn't actuate the lock. That's rare and it does open most of the time. Minus the biometric. I bought my son a decent sized on and it fails to read prints all the time. Even my new iPhone which has a great fingerprint reader won't ever open if my thumb is even slightly wet.

I'm not trying to start an argument, but curious why it's an option that people seek out as a priority.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

For me, it seems like that would be quicker access than a keypad, and certainly quicker than a dial lock.

Yup, I'd agree it's quicker than a dial.

When it works the first time, it's probably quicker than a keypad, but in my own experience it's not. Maybe I have hard to read prints, maybe I just need to wash and dry my hands more often.

For fast and reliable, I prefer simplex style locks.
    The kind that Fort Knox uses... they're not the only ones, but probably one of the better known

Amazon.com : Fort Knox FTK-PB Pistol Box Handgun Safe : Hard Pistol Cases : Sports & Outdoors

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    rocket, what model is that?

Sorry, one other clarifying criteria - surface wall mount, not between the studs.
    #QAP1BE

$150

Amazon.com: Sentry Safe Biometric Quick Access Pistol Safe Model # QAP1BE: Home Improvement

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

I have a LOCKSAF and love it... but it doesn't seem to be available anymore on Amazon...

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    Yup, I'd agree it's quicker than a dial.

When it works the first time, it's probably quicker than a keypad, but in my own experience it's not. Maybe I have hard to read prints, maybe I just need to wash and dry my hands more often.

For fast and reliable, I prefer simplex style locks.
    The kind that Fort Knox uses... they're not the only ones, but probably one of the better known

Amazon.com : Fort Knox FTK-PB Pistol Box Handgun Safe : Hard Pistol Cases : Sports & Outdoors
    I favor Simplex locks myself. We use ShotLock and their other products, which aren't really safes, though.

If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent