Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

How to refrain from indulgences?

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

How the hell do you do it? It can be for anything, but in this case, it's about not eating bad food. I'm not a good dieter. I like sweets. But I need to do something for myself. How do you not give in to your indulgences, specially when everything is already hard to manage with in your life, and a litle sweet seems to bring relief? I'm trying to find ways to refrain from eating dessert, or popcorn at night when I watch TV, etc. But it's so hard!! And I'm thinking that I hate dieting because it taste nothing. I like tasty food, aromatized or marinated. I look at a Atkins plate on TV commercial, and it's just a piece of grilled chicken, with plain broccoli and what not.

I have a brand new threadmill in my living room...it's just sitting there. I want so bad to jump on it and get at it...but there is so many things keeping me from doing it. I'm so tired all the time, and for the few minutes I have at the end of the night for myself...I'm too tired to start walking on tha thing. I don't know what to do. How do you manage to stop doing something you know you're doing wrong and it's bad for you, what is THE trick???

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

first off if you hit the treadmill, you would have alot more energy. Second get a suppliment to control craving(i did it it works). Third, make up salads, use cicken one night, then tuna the next night, then shrimp, then marinated steck tips.... Trick is to fill up the salad with thing suck as plum tomatoes chopped, cucumbers diced, sugarsnap peas, no coutons or at least very few. I turned my wife around on salad, there are some no carb dressing that taste great, don't drink soda at all, mostly water and small amounts of juice. Try to make some meals that are really good for you, thta way you can cheat once in a while....

My trick is to eat strictly for 10 days then cheat for 3...not over indulge, just hey today I can have a dessert item, not hte whole menu... It worked out good for me a very picky eater....

first off it's not dieting it's eating healthy. You need to buy the healthy food you like. chicken , beef , fish , seafood are all healthy if you skip the butter and heavy sauces. chicken can be cooked hundreds of ways and still be good for you. try cooking it with a small amount of oil and orange juice or grapefruit juice. Grill it outside all winter, everyone likes grilled chicken even unmaronated. popcorn is not bad for you unless it's the microwave or bagged kind (somehow they manage to make it high in calories) eat plenty vegitable and salads.
    the tricks are to eat small meals more often, skip the crappy foods, and to start just cut out a few calories at first. stop drinking one soda or one candy bar, cookie, cracker or whatever. If you keep less junkfood in the house you'll eat less , but if the rest of the family eats it you need to have some for them.
    It's ok to eat bad food once in a while. after a while you will crave the good food instead of the crap plus what sevensgt said.

You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

The real trick is a catch phrase, you can eat whatever you want and when someone says your overweight you reply with something like... "I'm not fat I'm just big boned!"
    "Oh yeah well your ugly and I can go on a diet"

Well, you get the basic idea. Good luck!

2001 Silver ZX-12R... RIP
    2005 KDX 200

Yip, it's NOT about 'dieting' per se. It's more about eating right and moderate excercise...

Hmmm...maybe I should practice what I preach?

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Originally posted by dhuze
    . everyone likes grilled chicken even unmaronated. after a while you will crave the good food instead of the crap plus what sevensgt said.

My wife is portageese, everthing has to be fried, I have to fight with or just cook it without her knowing for her to eat off the grill

Hey V I have been on Weight Watchers for almost three years. I have lost 60 pounds and learned how to eat. It taught me about portion control. I was not eating bad food, just too much of it. You can have sweets on occasion, just limit them. I was very careful about how much I ate and made sure I only ate when I was hungry not when I was boared.

I also hit the gym. I understand that you have many things to do in a day, but you must make time for yourself. Go for a walk on a nice day or hit the treadmill each evening after the kids go to sleep. You will gain more energy with your workouts. The first two weeks are the hardest, go slow, start with only 10-15 min a few times a week and work up from there.

Your family will benefit from you eating & cooking healthier and your kids will learn the importance of exercise and health if they see you doing it. Include them too, take them for a walk (in the winter walk around the mall).

Believe me you'll thank yourself in the long run!

Kimberly
    2008 Ford F350 crew cab Super Duty 6.4L diesel
    1998 Superhawk 996
    ZX-Stewie's Other half

www.hornblasters.com
    www.cartier-farms.com

I've found the easiest way to avoid eating junk food is just not to buy it in the first place. Don't grocery shop on an empty stomach or you come home with all kinds of crap. Have a nice meal and then go to the store. Then don't put the stuff you don't want to eat in your basket! Try and replace it with healthy sweet foods. Find a type of apple you really like. I also am fond of bananas (good for energy) and pink grapefruit with a little sugar sprinkled on it.

"You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

Lifer

My weakness is KC masterpiece potato chips. I can eat an entire bag in one sitting. I skip the chip and cookie aisle in the store completely. I also pack my own lunch for work every day. Healthy sandwhich, fruit, diet soda. During the day I drink tons of water. It replaces soda and coffee, and most of the time junk from the machine. dieting sucks, no polite way to say it. Eating healthy is much easier. Good luck...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

My situation (being a college kid living in a 1-bedroom apartment by myself) is incredibly different from yours, but I know that the easiest way for me not to eat junk is not to buy it. If all I have are like chicken breasts and stuff, then I don't have the chance to be lazy and eat crappily. That's the biggest thing for me, I can cook healthy food that tastes great (I share your feelings on tasteless "diet" food), but if I keep like mac and cheese around, it's sooo much easier to make, that I'm just too lazy not to.

BTW, I'm down from 168 or so at teh start of this semester to about 155 now, just 'cause there isn't snacky food around all the time like there is at my parent's house (god love 'em!)

"Balls," I said. "Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers."

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

Sorry haven't replied before! Was gone to Ontario since yesterday.

Great advices from everyone. I'm trying to buy less junk at the grocery, and yes it's true, not good to go grocery shopping on an empty stomach!!

I'm not a big salad eater...but I'd like to try so bad. I find pasta and rice salads so much tastier, but i guess they are not that good if you want to eat healthy? I need to try to find good recipes, and that I can make QUICK (key word here...lol) such as quick home made dressing that are tasty (I like sweet taste or creamy, not vinegar taste...). Also, I'd like to find ways to marinate chicken breasts that I'd cut into slices to put in the salad. Fish is expensive, so I cannot eat too much of it, unfortunatly, because I love fish.

Teez, I've been thinking about trying weight watchers for a long time now...just no time (or money) to go to meetings. I lost my point counter someone made for me a few years back...you have one?

"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

[Teez, I've been thinking about trying weight watchers for a long time now...just no time (or money) to go to meetings. I lost my point counter someone made for me a few years back...you have one? [/B][/QUOTE]

I sleep with mine!! I live by it. Sorry I don't have extras.

Pasta is not bad if you eat whole wheat pasta and don't eat more than a cup or so(dry). Also, top with garlic & olive oil, limit the cheese (although that is the best part!)

Kimberly
    2008 Ford F350 crew cab Super Duty 6.4L diesel
    1998 Superhawk 996
    ZX-Stewie's Other half

www.hornblasters.com
    www.cartier-farms.com

Oh that calories counter I had was not an original, she made a copy of all the sides, and then plastified it. I don't think I've trown it away, but can't think of where it went in this house.