Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Refrigerator on the fritz

Posting Freak

Refrigerator on the fritz

My fridge has been working not-so-great for a few weeks, off and on. Milk going bad prematurely, not staying very cold, etc., and it finally seems to have stopped getting cold altogether. The freezer seems totally fine.

We have dogs that shed, so I vacuumed out the coils at the front (there are two rows and the second row is impossible to get to). I also pulled the back cover and vacuumed out the condenser fan area (wasn't very dusty). The fan spins normally and doesn't make any noise. I also observed that the condenser itself is really pretty hot.

I have the temperature cranked way down and I can't feel or hear cold air entertaining the fridge anywhere. Anybody have a suggestion on what to check next, or a decent place to look to help me diagnose this? I can't find a date on it, but it was here when we moved in two years ago. It's not ancient...probably 5-10 years old. Also, it's a barn-door style (probably not what they're actually called), and the flap that is in between the two doors is pretty hot too.

Any help is appreciated!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Refrigerator on the fritz

It's most likely not defrosting. Is it one with the freezer on top? If so, pull the inside back cover off.

Oh I see it's a side by side. You need to find the cooling coils, they're most likely solid ice.

Last edited by GearHd6; 06-12-17 at 07:20 PM.
    Jeff

My top freezer fridge had the same problem a couple years ago, it was the defrost sensor that went bad on mine. I did a few tests to check the defrost timer and the heating element and they were both fine.

Jeff

Posting Freak

Freezer is on the bottom. I'm going to see if I can get to the relay at the condenser and check that.

You need to find where the evaporator coils are on that fridge and get them thawed out even if it's manually with a heat gun for now.

Jeff

Posting Freak

I don't see anything that's frozen or frosted…I'll keep looking though.

It's going to be behind a cover you have to take off INSIDE the fridge.

Jeff

Usually it's behind the back wall of the freezer.

Jeff

Posting Freak

Found it. Behind the back wall of the freezer. All frosted. You're saying I should defrost that and be good to go?

A frozen one looks like this in a side-by-side:
    Refrigerator on the fritz-20170101_124715-jpg

In my case it was both the defrost heater and the upper limit thermal cutout switch. Both were inexpensive via online stores.

Edit: Apparently the forum software doesn't preserve the rotation information in the picture when uploaded from my phone, but you get the idea of what's going on.

Last edited by ZX-12R; 06-12-17 at 08:20 PM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
    Found it. Behind the back wall of the freezer. All frosted. You're saying I should defrost that and be good to go?
    Yes, you need to defrost it. Depending on the humidity and how often you open up your fridge, it will operate correctly for up to a couple of weeks before it freezes up again. This will give you enough time to order parts but be prepared to defrost it again when you go in to make the repair.

You can manually defrost it and it'll work fine for a couple weeks possibly but there's an obvious problem. I know nothing about your fridge, it could have circuit boards that control the defrost function or it could have a timer, heater and defrost sensor.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Jeff

Could just be that your freezer door isn't sealing 100%, letting humidity build up.

771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC

Posting Freak

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    You can manually defrost it and it'll work fine for a couple weeks possibly but there's an obvious problem. I know nothing about your fridge, it could have circuit boards that control the defrost function or it could have a timer, heater and defrost sensor.
    Thanks a lot! Seems to be working fine now. Now to diagnose what really happened...

High maintenance priss

Timely thread; my fridge is doing the exact same thing right now. Freezer seems to be too cold, fridge at 65* right now.

I'm hoping the door was cracked due to my wife jamming a shit-ton of food in the freezer. But...how does one go about diagnosing the cause?

Make sure the door is shut and see if the fridge temp drops? If it doesn't I'd pull the inside back cover and see how bad the evaporator coils are encased in ice.

Jeff

Thanks a lot! Seems to be working fine now. Now to diagnose what really happened...
    You're welcome. Your electric bill will thank you as well. Mine dropped about $30 a month once I fixed it seeing the thing had been running non-stop except for when it was in defrost mode which really wasn't defrosting.

Jeff

High maintenance priss

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    Make sure the door is shut and see if the fridge temp drops?

This is what the coils were looking like last night. I defrosted w/ a heat gun. I was asking in case there were some basic troubleshooting tips while in there.
    Refrigerator on the fritz-fridge-coils-medium-jpg

Mine is the old style. I found the defrost timer, manually turned it to defrost and then checked to see if the heater element got hot, it didn't. So then I bypassed the defrost sensor and then the heating element got hot. So I replaced the defrost sensor.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by keeena View Post

This is what the coils were looking like last night. I defrosted w/ a heat gun. I was asking in case there were some basic troubleshooting tips while in there.
    If you have a multimeter, the easiest thing to check while you have the coils exposed is the resistance of the heating element. If it shows as an open circuit, it's bad. Lots of heating elements are around 750 Watts which would put their resistance in the 18 Ohm range. Real values will be somewhere in that ballpark and shouldn't be too far off unless the wattage of the element is significantly different.

Last edited by ZX-12R; 06-14-17 at 05:54 PM.

nria

STOP

empty contents into cooler dry ice helps

simply unplug it and leave with doors open for like 8 hours... it will fix itself

Modern cheap refrigerators only have the freezer coil not 2

The refrigerator counts on an air passage where freezer air is forced/drifts into and cools the refrigerator portion

Under certain conditions frost/ice will eventually block off the passage way. everything stops

Left open this melts and opens the passageway and it will run like new

I have "fixed" my frig 3 times doing this.

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Lifer

Coincidentally, I discovered last night that my automatic icer's sweeping arm had gotten stuck in the on position, so it made tons of ice until it got backed up. I noticed some of the ice cubes had hollowed out, and eroded. Is this normal, or an indication of something?

nedirtriders.com

Mine just shit the bed, system leak, 10 years old, not going to put $500 into it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Mine just shit the bed, system leak, 10 years old, not going to put $500 into it.
    I'm going to be selling one. I'm bringing my current one to the new place and won't need the one that's there. You can pick up on 7/1 in Boston. Amana, stainless. Unsure of model number but it's nice. PM me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Refrigerator on the fritz-20170603_122915-jpg  

Last edited by CEO; 06-15-17 at 02:04 PM.
    Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Coincidentally, I discovered last night that my automatic icer's sweeping arm had gotten stuck in the on position, so it made tons of ice until it got backed up. I noticed some of the ice cubes had hollowed out, and eroded. Is this normal, or an indication of something?
    I've found with mine that that's due to the freezer not being cold enough to freeze the cubes in time before the ice maker timer ejects the cubes. That's a tell tale sign that my freezer is packed too full or the unit isn't defrosting.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast