Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Refrigerator on the fritz

Lifer

Re: Refrigerator on the fritz

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    I've found with mine that that's due to the freezer not being cold enough to freeze the cubes in time before the ice maker timer ejects the cubes. That's a tell tale sign that my freezer is packed too full or the unit isn't defrosting.
    Hmmm. It's packed pretty full at the moment, but I thought that helped keep the temp down by minimizing fluctuation? When it backed up, the cubes stacked all over and around the dispenser looked fine. Guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

To an extent, yes, filling it is good but it still needs to be able to circulate air around inside.

Jeff

Posting Freak

Welp, crossed my fingers and hoped that it was a fluke, but after ~3 weeks of working fine, it's back to not pushing cold air to the fridge. I left it to thaw when I went to work this morning, so I'll poke around with the multimeter tonight.

High maintenance priss

Nick - FWIW the problem with mine was the defrost thermostat which showed up within a few days. I tested the heater element first per ZX12's comment, was OK. The procedure for my t-stat is that it should show near zero ohms at freezing temps. Put it in a glass of ice water for a while and the resistance just sat at 47kOhms. Bingo. Both tests were very easy. I think next on the list was the circulator fan, then the air duct partition door, and finally the control board. I got my replacement parts from repairclinic.com - easy & quick shipping.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Posting Freak

Quote Originally Posted by keeena View Post
    Nick - FWIW the problem with mine was the defrost thermostat which showed up within a few days. I tested the heater element first per ZX12's comment, was OK. The procedure for my t-stat is that it should show near zero ohms at freezing temps. Put it in a glass of ice water for a while and the resistance just sat at 47kOhms. Bingo. Both tests were very easy. I think next on the list was the circulator fan, then the air duct partition door, and finally the control board. I got my replacement parts from repairclinic.com - easy & quick shipping.
    Thanks! Yeah, sounds like it is likely my t-stat or heater, both of which should be easy enough to check the resistance on. I guess if both of those are good then it points to the main board, which is like $300 and may or may not be worth replacing.

The defrost thermostat (high temperature limit switch) is what failed the first time my freezer frosted up. It was obvious because the potted side of the metal can was curling up and ripped the connections inside it. Two months or so later, the heater went too.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
    which is like $300 and may or may not be worth replacing.
    Just buy mine and be done with it

Amana 22cf 33" Stainless Fridge

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12