Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

How to go about reporting a stolen car with a twist

Lifer

How to go about reporting a stolen car with a twist

So I had put up a vehicle as consignment at a dealership in ct last year but I live in mass if it matters. I had been talking to them regularly about offers on it, storage conditions etc. All was fine until just recently when I called to see what was going on with it since i hadent heard from them in a few months. Emails are bounced back, phone number is no longer serviced and I cant find a trace of my car. Apparently the dealership closed up suddenly and everyone scattered. I have info on the salesman who I was dealing with but I dont know how to proceed

To make the situation a little worse for me the car was not insured on my plates as it was at the dealer for consignment. They also had the title so they could sell it which is standard for consignment deals but now doesnt seem so great. I have a copy but that does me zero good.
    To make the situation way worse for me is that all the paperwork I had from them has been stolen among other things recently. I have some emails and phone records but not much else. I do have copies of all my ownership records like title and bill of sales etc since those were stored separately.
    I know the car is gone and my money is gone but I would at least like to get the car and those responsible on the radar to maybe stop this from happening again. Reporting the car stolen is the only thing I can think of but without the original title I dont how much good that will do.
    Now I could report it stolen in my home town in mass but it's only a few cops there and I dont think they have the power to do anything other than file a report. Another option is to file a report in the town where the dealership was which is going to be hard because they moved a few times and I am unsure where they ended up. I could go to the Hartford pd and hope they can do something since they are bigger. Lastly I could try the state police in either state.

So, what should i do other than nothing?

0 Not allowed!

Re: How to go about reporting a stolen car with a twist

You want their local PD involved. Mass probably won’t do shit for you.
    Good luck. Situation sucks.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    They also had the title so they could sell it which is standard for consignment deals but now doesnt seem so great. I have a copy but that does me zero good.
    First and foremost, contact your attorney...ASAP!
    Did you simply give them possession of the title, or did you sign it as well?
    Just curious...what's the value of the vehicle???

0 Not allowed!

I’m sure the consignment contract spells out everything you need regarding legal recourse. Is that gone too?

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 02-23-20 at 07:38 PM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

If you have a copy of your title rather than the original, I believe you can request a duplicate MA title on line.

1 Not allowed!
    Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

It is not known if it was stolen yet. If they in good faith operated as if they were trying to sell the vehicle, ran out of money, closed up, property seized, etc they did not steal the vehicle. If they sold the vehicle, gave the buyer the title, did not give you the money, they may have stole the money from the sale from you. Still do not think the vehicle itself was stolen at that point. Depending on the state, the buyer may have no obligation to verify if the title is clear/rightful transfer if buying from a licensed dealer, like in the case of the NJ dealership con. (this sounds like a similar situation at a lower scale)

The local PD in the town/city the dealership was in would probably have some idea of what is going on with them. The authority in charge of dealership licensing may also know.

CT dealerships are bonded at 50k. You can contact that insurance company although that money would be gone quick as it is basically nothing

What kind of vehicle and what was the value?

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by cdseven95; 02-23-20 at 09:42 PM.

Sorry but its on a boat to Chile
    By all means make a police report in that community/district
    Ask a tax accountant but may be a deductible loss
    Sometimes you get bit in the butt,, try then move on

0 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    First and foremost, contact your attorney...ASAP!
    Did you simply give them possession of the title, or did you sign it as well?
    Just curious...what's the value of the vehicle???
    They held the title but it was not signed by me.

Vehicle value is about $20k.

1 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    If you have a copy of your title rather than the original, I believe you can request a duplicate MA title on line.
    Yes I can but I have not done so until I talk to the police. I didnt want to muddy up the process with me seeking another title. I fully expect the car to have been titled to someone else at this point which will add a whole pile of shit to this.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by cdseven95 View Post
    It is not known if it was stolen yet. If they in good faith operated as if they were trying to sell the vehicle, ran out of money, closed up, property seized, etc they did not steal the vehicle. If they sold the vehicle, gave the buyer the title, did not give you the money, they may have stole the money from the sale from you. Still do not think the vehicle itself was stolen at that point. Depending on the state, the buyer may have no obligation to verify if the title is clear/rightful transfer if buying from a licensed dealer, like in the case of the NJ dealership con. (this sounds like a similar situation at a lower scale)

The local PD in the town/city the dealership was in would probably have some idea of what is going on with them. The authority in charge of dealership licensing may also know.

CT dealerships are bonded at 50k. You can contact that insurance company although that money would be gone quick as it is basically nothing

What kind of vehicle and what was the value?
    Correct, it is not known to be stolen. Technically it is missing. For months. I am considering it stolen as I have no way of finding it so i will report it as such.

Car is a mitsubishi evo worth about $20k.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I’m sure the consignment contract spells out everything you need regarding legal recourse. Is that gone too?
    All paperwork is gone from the point I handed it over to to dealership including the original title. I had a safe stolen that contained all my current important documents like titles, deeds, tax stuff etc. This car was the least of concerns at the time .

I have everything prior to that like service history, bill of sale from when I got it etc. It about an inch thick folder of receipts and tax stuff. I am thankful i was wise enough to make a copy of the title before handing it over which may or may not be helpful to me now but at least it puts my mind at ease a little bit.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Ha. Just got a text from the consignment dealership owner after posting this morning. He saw this post since he rides sportsbikes in the area and trolls the forums. Car is gone, sold it in florida and no money left. Wants to work on a deal rather than getting police involved.

Since he is reading this I wont say much more other than I have been trying to track him for months with no luck but 1 posting on the web about filing a stolen car report got his attention.

7 Not allowed!

Car is sold no money left... lol cause that makes sense... funny how he found this post too.

1 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Nah, that's stolen. Report it.

Keep a copy of his text, show it to the cops. He just admitted to it being sold and not sending you the money. Aka, theft.

6 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Car is gone, sold it in florida and no money left.
    Hence your signature on the title was forged...a felony offense. Contact your attorney...NOW!!!

4 Not allowed!

Posting Freak

Personally, I wouldn't dick around with him. Feels like when someone hits your car and wants to "work something out and not go through insurance". Rarely worth it. He took your car, (presumably) forged your name on the title and flat out stole from you. There should be consequences IMO.

5 Not allowed!

Lifer

He has a day to work it out. Filing a police report today or tomorrow doesnt seem to make much difference to me. Still a little light on the details. Dealership closed around october, moved several cars to florida to sell. Sold mine around november/december and got into a bind and used car monies to get out. Supposedly mine was sold without a title as it was going to be parted out and he still has the title but I never approved it. No idea what he got for it but I know what I have into it. Final value is subjective I guess.
    He seems to really want to work this out now that he has been found. He is making contact so that shows me something. He could have just not said anything after reading this and I never would have found him. I think having your name plastered online for having a stolen car is worse than just stealing it. That will stay with you for years, if not forever.

0 Not allowed!

Man you taking someone stealing your property (regardless of value, and $20k is a lot of value to me) very lightly.

No putting his name online won’t do shit. He can open a business under a different name or a partner and nobody would know. You know what’s forever and efficient? Criminal records.

Edit: my bad, I just have a thing about theft. Shit drives me nuts. I have no business telling you how to handle your business. Best of luck.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by tsorfas; 02-24-20 at 10:07 AM.

Sold without a title because it was being parted out? That's a load of crap. There is a VIN and ownership being transferred, hence the requirement of the title being signed (and/ or BoS depending on age of the vehicle).

He "seems" to want to work this out because there are legal ramifications on the horizon.

Where in Florida? Just curious which chop shop it went to...

5 Not allowed!

Let the judge give him a chance to make it right. Not you.

3 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Man you taking someone stealing your property (regardless of value, and $20k is a lot of value to me) very lightly.

No putting his name online won’t do shit. He can open a business under a different name or a partner and nobody would know. You know what’s forever and efficient? Criminal records.

Edit: my bad, I just have a thing about theft. Shit drives me nuts. I have no business telling you how to handle your business. Best of luck.
    I'm not taking it lightly but I am trying to be practical about it. Car is gone and not coming back, money is gone but I may get some back. I was furious about 2 weeks in if trying to find him, time has worn me down to acceptance stage.
    Honestly I think his name online is worse than a criminal record in some cases. I have seen so many peoples lives destroyed by posting things online.

0 Not allowed!

And he never told you, never sent you money, never mentioned anything until he saw this thread.

He was planning to steal your money and get away with it.

Fuck this guy. Let the judge get you your money back.

7 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Sold without a title because it was being parted out? That's a load of crap. There is a VIN and ownership being transferred, hence the requirement of the title being signed (and/ or BoS depending on age of the vehicle).

He "seems" to want to work this out because there are legal ramifications on the horizon.

Where in Florida? Just curious which chop shop it went to...
    No idea where in florida. It's just what he told me. My guess would be like miami or something but who knows.

No idea about the title thing and parting out. I do know in the past I have both bought and sold vehicles on just a bill of sale. I was always told its buyer beware in those situations. I never had an issue with that process either. Of course I was pretty sure they weren't stolen or had a lien on them. Every state is different so who knows.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    And he never told you, never sent you money, never mentioned anything until he saw this thread.

He was planning to steal your money and get away with it.

Fuck this guy. Let the judge get you your money back.
    Legal penal justice won't get him his money back.

While the guy is out of jail he at least has a chance to essentially blackmail him into getting him some money back or he will lose his freedom.

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast