Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Req. help for a Marine in his final days

Req. help for a Marine in his final days

I worked with Gary for about ten years before he retired. He's about five-foot-nothing, and since he was the smallest guy in his platoon in Viet Nam, he carried the machine gun.

Since the day I met him his life has been hell. I'll spare the details, but what he's been through medically I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. He's now at the VA hospital in West Roxbury, and based on our last few phone calls, he probably has a week or two left in his time here on the planet.

Gary doesn't have a will. Who do we know that could make a bedside visit and draw up a will? (He doesn't have any immediate family - he just wants all his assets to go to his "honorary nieces.") I'll cover whatever cost is involved.

Thanks in advance. I know you guys will come through!

(For those on both forums, I'm cross-posting this on NES.)

Don T.

P.S. I'll be off-line later today as I go to visit him. I'll reply as best I can.

0 Not allowed!
    Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

Re: Req. help for a Marine in his final days

Best thing to do immediately is: Sit with him and have him write up what he wants done. Have it notarized if possible. Make a few copies and have him sign and date each. Bring these to the post office and have them date cancel the stamp that day. Send one copy to you, one to him at his house and preferably a third to his CPA or regular attorney. Write "Do Not Open" on each envelope. This will not replace a will but in case worse comes to worst, at least his intentions are noted. Do not open these envelopes until you need to. In the mean time, find an estate attorney who can write something up. Find an attorney who does estates primarily. This service should be the only one listed on their scorecard, not 3rd or 4th down on the list after chasing ambulances and closing real estate purchases.

I can recommend Nick Vontzalides in Peabody, MA. Good guy and may be able to handle this to you via mail but at some point notarized signatures may be required. Post follow up questions here.

1 Not allowed!

My Wife will notarize these documents. Located in Peabody as well.

1 Not allowed!

Great suggestions, thanks! An NES member has suggested an attorney as well, so I'll be following up on each.

0 Not allowed!

I've made contact with an attorney - the process is underway. Thanks, everyone.

D

0 Not allowed!
    Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

Good luck

0 Not allowed!