Resin Sheds

Resin Sheds

I just moved into a new rental house and I'm running short on space with a smaller garage. I'm thinking about buying a resin shed to store 2 motorcycles and random crap.

I like the appeal of a quick-setup shed to protect from the elements that can also be taken down and reused. I know the base is important but figure an existing level concrete patio in a completely fenced in yard would be ideal.

Please note, I am not concerned about theft as the only way in/out is through the house/garage or over the fence and any thieves would be much more inclined to steal the "nice" bikes in the garage.

Will resin fit my needs or should I seek other storage solutions?

Looking at this one at the moment: Lifetime 8' x 10' Outdoor Storage Shed - Sam's Club

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by OneCheekRider; 02-01-18 at 07:23 PM.

Re: Resin Sheds

my biggest concern is

What is snow load on roof? Their statement
    sheds have the strength to withstand the force of nature
    doesn't cut it for me.

I have seen a lot of caved in sheds after big snowstorms

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

My buddy has a small one for garden stuff and his lawn mower. It's fine. He has it on a foundation of pavers. It's ugly, yet somehow completely acceptable per his HOA. He's never had any problem with snow caving the roof. But his lot is at the end of a fairly open field. They clear cut the whole development when they built. The wind gets pretty intense and he's had the thing blown over countless times. He has it wired to like 4' ties driven into the ground and it still blows away. It's held together with screws, glue, metal brackets and a lot of prayers from his wife.. and still blows apart at least 1x year. He keeps "fixing" it.

So. Out of the wind, I think you have a chance.

1 Not allowed!

Posting Freak

I have one, I think it is 12x10 or maybe 10x10. We have three bikes there and 4 bicycles. It works well, even in the Boston snow so far.

1 Not allowed!
    SF848, Monster 1100evo, VFR RWB, CRF250L/M

They are structurally ok. If you have to add bracing, through bolting is your friend.

1 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Seems extremely over priced for molded plastic.

0 Not allowed!

We have one of these smaller ones, and a similar model made by RubberMaid. No problems in five years. Very convenient. We do not normally have huge snow loads in Boston but have very high winds as we are near the harbor.

SunCast Stow Away

From their website interior height is 54” which is enough for most Bikes. Unfortunately they don’t appear to accommodate the length of a bike. Maybe there’s another model.
    70 cu. ft. The Stow-Away(R) Horizontal Shed - Suncast(R) Corporation

One consideration is they are muted colors and blend into the neighborhood. The smaller ones can be disassembled and reassembled easily, I did it alone in an hour.

The one you are looking at has steel supports for the roof and advertises 1,810 lb “snow load capacity.” The roof is a little more than 80sf due to the pitch, but that works out to 22 lbs/sf. Also sold at HD with many reviews much more negative than the Sam’s site. Primary beef is difficulty of assembly and assembly instructions but:

Lifetime 8x10

This was my 2nd summer and first winter. The shed roof caved in. Not made for New England winters. I had to pay 300,00 for a new roof from the "LifeTime" company and many hours to install. They added new trusts that are suppose to be better. To bad it is not part of the original kit. So if you do not mind shoveling off the roof every 6 " of snow then you are OK. That is probably 1 to 3 times per snow storm. The cost per year 650.00 per year.
    Before we went whole hog on a 24’x16’ shed up north, I looked at the Shelter Logic canvas sheds. Several neighbors have them and that’s in an area that gets 10’ of snow Per season. I noted they now make a resin shed with full steel frame that may hold up better.

Vinyl Dallas 8 x 6 ft. Shed

Turns out it’s made by Arrow.

Storage Sheds, Steel Sheds, Garden Sheds, Storage Buildings

http://www.arrowsheds.com/standardsh...urgh_nw86.html

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 02-11-18 at 03:09 AM.
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Before we bought a pre-fab shed, I looked around a bit for plans or kits. Now that’s it already done, an outfit in VT was recommended for plans, kits, sheds and cottages.

Gable Sheds | Storage Shed Kits for Sale | Jamaica Cottage Shop

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

I have one of the smaller resin 'sheds' that I keep my generator in. After about 5 or 6 years the lid is bowing a bit.

It's mostly in the shade and I do clear off the snow, but eventually it does 'warp'.

0 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Lifer

I have an 8x8 rubbermaid.. I built a quick base with 2x4 and plywood just so I could anchor it (when reading about wind blowing them up/over). The roof pitch doesn't allow for a ton of snow to accumulate, and when it does it will eventually slide off. My roof has metal supports as a bracket. This will definitely not be easy to dissasemble and reassemble if that's what you're thinking of doing in the future. There are way too many screws in there and I'm sure taking them in and out will not be structurally sound. However they are pretty darned light, I would certainly pick the thing up and move it easily. The other problem is that the walls are weak. I put in some shelving (and there are hooks for it) as well as big brackets, and it bowed the walls in a bit. The weight of what I put on was pretty light so that's kind of a bummer. It would fit in two bikes with a little finagling, bigger would be better. You can also certainly find a better deal than the sams club one, but not sure your time frame. If I recall 2 years ago? I got the 8x8 for about $600 all in. On sale of course

Also to warn you it comes delivered on a pallet that is heavy as @#$@ I thought I could just pull it/push it myself on the driveway but couldn't budge it. Took another guy to get it sliding before we could get it moved. You can definitely put it together yourself (I did) in a couple of hours (don't pick a windy day or you're scrod). Also assembly of something as simple as the doors while you're in the shade or have time would help since there's also a ton of screws on each hinge. The door was pretty flimsy so I added a striker on the top/bottom of the door so it wouldn't rattle/flip around. There actually seems to be grooves pre moulded, just no hardware for it. So this is a nice thought that they skimped out on the metal. There are spots in the base to drill through to anchor to the ground (or the plywood base). Depending on your spot I'd certainly use this to anchor it to the ground.

1 Not allowed!