Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Retirement Destinations

Retirement Destinations

I still have a decade plus of working to go, but where Iím going to call home base during retirement crosses my mind frequently. I knew I was never going to retire in New England, and I really enjoy the Arizona lifestyle, but I wonít retire here. I miss the ocean. For years Iíve had it in my head that coastal Carolina was the spot, but I want to expand my research and possibilities. A state with no income tax is very appealing, and in that line of thought I believe Iíve only seen the worst of Florida (Orlando, Daytona, Jacksonville, Tallahassee..,) so I havenít totally ruled that out.
    Curious to hear what others may be thinking as good spots, regardless of how far out you are in terms of years.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Retirement Destinations

14yrs.
    Northern NM, southern Colorado for me. Somewhere surrounded by ponderosa pines.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    14yrs.
    Northern NM, southern Colorado for me. Somewhere surrounded by ponderosa pines.
    I haven’t spent enough time in northern AZ yet, but those pine forests are really cool to drive through up around Flagstaff. So different from NE forests. My son is going to NAU next year in Flagstaff, so I’ll spend a lot more time up there the next 4 years, I brought all my snowboard gear out here and it’s only a 2 hr drive...

isnt there an unwritten rule that new englanders either stay put or go to FL? LOL

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Hey OP, haven't you been reading the "Educate me on 401Ks/rental properties/bond markets/Pepsi vs. Coke/best Beatles song ever" thread? Things have changed over the last two weeks. You're never going to retire so put these dreams away and get back to work.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
    Hey OP, haven't you been reading the "Educate me on 401Ks/rental properties/bond markets/Pepsi vs. Coke/best Beatles song ever" thread? Things have changed over the last two weeks. You're never going to retire so put these dreams away and get back to work.
    Fuck me. The sky really is falling?

And I hate the Beatles or Stones question. The answer is Zeppelin.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I was thinking northern Georgia/western NC/eastern TN, but I wanna check out the Ozarks. see what kind of fishing they have

you won't see me near the coast, I will continue to stay in NH in the summer

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

If you like the ocean, look at areas along the Gulf of Mexico. You can find some nicer areas. The problem with Southeast water front is getting/paying for house insurance. The gig is up on hurricane damage and the insurance companies are done paying out.
    Becareful with NC, they have a ton of small taxes that add up to big taxes. SC isn't bad, but property tax near the water might not be what you expect.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

We'll be spending summers in good ol' NH. We'll hopefully start building our summer home out at the props in less than five years. 20+ wooded acres with a river running through it on a discontinued road with enough firewood to heat my great grandchildren's homes.

We're exploring a few winter plans at the moment (Dec - March):

1) Bounce around some of the less-expensive-to-stay Caribbean islands. Some areas are surprisingly inexpensive if planned correctly.

2) Alternate areas in the southern U.S. to park our camper. Again, a lot less expensive than some may think.

3) Buy a small villa in Jamaica

Our original plan was to retire at 55. Now it seems more likely my target age is 60, only due to our ridiculous impulse spending on larger ticket items.

We WERE planning to stay in our current home for retirement. We bought it early with that intention and paid off the note a few years ago. But waterfront living in NH is getting incredibly restrictive and property taxes on waterfront property in tax poor towns is getting out of hand. We've been on the water for 30+ years now (10 or so as a weekend/summer/vacation home, 20+ as our residence). Seen it, done it, been there, all set. Now waterfront means nothing to me. We're only exploring the Caribbean because Big Shirl has a thing about being near the ocean.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Coworker just bought a beach house in Galveston. On stilts, but pays $8,000 for Hurricane and flood insurance. Not sure if that covers regular homeowners, too. I'm probably 25yrs out from retirement. Planning on buying a lake house in a couple years, in Ma. Wouldn't mind winter in SC, but the way our winters are going, may not even need to go south.

I think I'd like NM, UT or CO a lot. Maybe AZ.
    My wife lived on the plains and loved it. But I think I need some elevation change near me.
    I definitely do not need to be near the ocean and the older I get the less interested in shoveling I become. Ideal would be a place where you are ~1 hour from snow at elevation but rarely get much more than a dusting

Recently I've become aware that not all parts of the country enjoy the medical facilities we do. That has been a factor for my wifes parents and is something I hadn't considered.

Not gunna lie; I'll be avoiding some parts due for political reasons.

Now that I have offspring I wonder if where they land won't be the biggest factor by the time my day comes.

Posting Freak

There are a lot of retirement search engines online, where you plug in what's important to you and they spit out potential destinations. We started traveling last year to check out potential destinations: my wife is from CA but we're definitely not going there. We've checked out Ashville, Charlotte, Charlottesville, Boulder/Fort Collins/Golden, Salt Lake. So far Boulder is the only candidate we're going back to - or were until she took a new job here......

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I think I'd like NM, UT or CO a lot. Maybe AZ.
    My wife lived on the plains and loved it. But I think I need some elevation change near me.
    I definitely do not need to be near the ocean and the older I get the less interested in shoveling I become. Ideal would be a place where you are ~1 hour from snow at elevation but rarely get much more than a dusting

Recently I've become aware that not all parts of the country enjoy the medical facilities we do. That has been a factor for my wifes parents and is something I hadn't considered.

Not gunna lie; I'll be avoiding some parts due for political reasons.

Now that I have offspring I wonder if where they land won't be the biggest factor by the time my day comes.
    In the two winters Iíve been here I saw it spit snow once in a rain shower for about 5 minutes. It doesnít snow or freeze - nobody has a snow shovel or windshield scraper. Thatís a big plus for me, after 30 years in Maine I am done with winter.
    Being a major retirement area the healthcare is very good and plentiful - the downside is that snowbirds fucking suck. 90% of them should not be on the road.
    The political climate here is absolutely not like New England.
    Property taxes are very low. Top tier income tax is 4.6%. They get you on sales tax, 10% on average.

coastal FL...socal seems too crowded, expensive, and expensive

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-04-20 at 11:26 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

My wife an ocean person I am more of a lakes mountain guy. Moved to the lake region three years ago and I love it. she hates snow so we go to the gulf side of Fla. in the winter. not sure where we will end up full time? Water front is out for tax and cost reasons Ö Not sure how long we can continue being snow birds? Up to me we would just stay in NH !

Last edited by MUZ720; 03-04-20 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Top tier income tax is 4.6%. They get you on sales tax, 10% on average.
    Commies! (I'm NH born and raised.)

Last I looked AZ was middle of the road tax-wise. Income tax is less of a concern in retirement. D&I tax is a bigger worry. Looks like it isn't too bad.

Never mind. AZ taxes retirement account withdrawals as earned income. Nope! Nope!

I have been looking into Dallas TX for some time now. I think if I ever leave NE it will be to go there, but boy does it seem hard to leave here.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    I have been looking into Dallas TX for some time now. I think if I ever leave NE it will be to go there, but boy does it seem hard to leave here.
    Have you ever been there? Wondering what the draw is. Spent a week out there for training and thought it was pretty meh.

*Florida is pretty much out of the question for us. We've both been a number of times (my parents had a place on Marco Island for 30+ years, then Naples for a few years). After hitting Daytona Beach a few years for Spring Break, I never really saw the attraction other than sun.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Florida ... I never really saw the attraction other than sun.
    Taxes. The tax situation for retirees is mind boggling. Possibly even for non-retirees. (Notice that Trump "moved" to FL recently. Very clearly because of the tax environment.)

Also for us motorheads.. you can basically register and drive (or ride) almost anything. All the bullshit we go through with registrations and inspections and plating dirt bikes and.. and..

Lifer

Are you set on staying in the states? If your willing to leave there are tons of options depending on interests and desires. Some are easier to live well at than other however. As I have lived and traveled all over the world I have been planning for my R day which came and went before I was sucked back into work but now it's coming again.
    I have my vacation home in upstate NY. Nice but taxes are terrible. I had originally planned to use it as more of a US base while I was traveling but the wife has changed her mind on it. For now it will sleep but i will use it occasionally and friends will use it more.

My top choices now are Ecuador, Georgia (the country) and if my wife goes through with the divorce I'm heading right to Pit Cairn. PC is probably the most likely and i have been planning it for several months now as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    Have you ever been there? Wondering what the draw is. Spent a week out there for training and thought it was pretty meh.
    Yes I have been for 3-5 days x 4 times in the last couple of years.
    I really liked the vibe. I really liked that you can have a farm 10 minutes outside of a large city. I liked the people. State income tax = winning. Jobs are strong. Healthcare is fine. No snow.
    What I haven’t don’t which I need is visit there in the summit.

Search on:

retire to a college town

Don't believe everything you think.

Lifer

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    We'll be spending summers in good ol' NH. We'll hopefully start building our summer home out at the props in less than five years. 20+ wooded acres with a river running through it on a discontinued road with enough firewood to heat my great grandchildren's homes.

We're exploring a few winter plans at the moment (Dec - March):

1) Bounce around some of the less-expensive-to-stay Caribbean islands. Some areas are surprisingly inexpensive if planned correctly.

2) Alternate areas in the southern U.S. to park our camper. Again, a lot less expensive than some may think.

3) Buy a small villa in Jamaica

Our original plan was to retire at 55. Now it seems more likely my target age is 60, only due to our ridiculous impulse spending on larger ticket items.

We WERE planning to stay in our current home for retirement. We bought it early with that intention and paid off the note a few years ago. But waterfront living in NH is getting incredibly restrictive and property taxes on waterfront property in tax poor towns is getting out of hand. We've been on the water for 30+ years now (10 or so as a weekend/summer/vacation home, 20+ as our residence). Seen it, done it, been there, all set. Now waterfront means nothing to me. We're only exploring the Caribbean because Big Shirl has a thing about being near the ocean.

Just curious, why the Caribbean and why Jamaica more so than others? I lived on many of those islands and while some are nice none are places I would retire too especially Jamaica. I literally can not think of a worse place in the world to live in than jamaica and I have lived in a lot of places. We did have grand illusions when we moved there but it was all shattered so quickly. It's still the top spot for me of how quickly we left once we moved there. It's like a war zone in lots of places.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast