Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 67

Retirement Destinations

  1. #26

    Re: Retirement Destinations


    Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post
    Search on:

    retire to a college town
    I might convince the girl to look at the Raleigh Durham area....

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #27
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,124,792

    Re: Retirement Destinations

    Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Just curious, why the Caribbean and why Jamaica more so than others? I lived on many of those islands and while some are nice none are places I would retire too especially Jamaica. I literally can not think of a worse place in the world to live in than jamaica and I have lived in a lot of places. We did have grand illusions when we moved there but it was all shattered so quickly. It's still the top spot for me of how quickly we left once we moved there. It's like a war zone in lots of places.
    We've been to over 20 Caribbean islands/Bahamas and absolutely loved every one except Nassau. We know a couple of couples that have recently bought small villas in Jamaica for vacation & winter use and absolutely love it. Admittedly, we haven't really sat down with them yet to go over all the logistics with them and both places are in heavily "Americanized" areas. Besides the street vendors and slums around the touristy areas, we fell in love with Jamaica.

    I'd be interested in more insight if you'd care to PM me. Always up for more intel!

    Although Saint Kitts & Nevis quickly climbed their ways to the top after our visit there last year.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  3. #28
    Lifer gixxer72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The desert
    Posts
    1,885

    Re: Retirement Destinations

    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Commies! (I'm NH born and raised.)

    Last I looked AZ was middle of the road tax-wise. Income tax is less of a concern in retirement. D&I tax is a bigger worry. Looks like it isn't too bad.

    Never mind. AZ taxes retirement account withdrawals as earned income. Nope! Nope!
    Exactly why this wonít be my spot. A large portion of my FU $ is in private stock, I donít want a tax whack on those funds as I liquidate. Itís why I canít write off Texas or Florida.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  4. #29
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,124,792

    Re: Retirement Destinations

    Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Just curious, why the Caribbean and why Jamaica more so than others? I lived on many of those islands and while some are nice none are places I would retire too especially Jamaica. I literally can not think of a worse place in the world to live in than jamaica and I have lived in a lot of places. We did have grand illusions when we moved there but it was all shattered so quickly. It's still the top spot for me of how quickly we left once we moved there. It's like a war zone in lots of places.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    We've been to over 20 Caribbean islands/Bahamas and absolutely loved every one except Nassau. We know a couple of couples that have recently bought small villas in Jamaica for vacation & winter use and absolutely love it. Admittedly, we haven't really sat down with them yet to go over all the logistics with them and both places are in heavily "Americanized" areas. Besides the street vendors and slums around the touristy areas, we fell in love with Jamaica.

    I'd be interested in more insight if you'd care to PM me. Always up for more intel!

    Although Saint Kitts & Nevis quickly climbed their ways to the top after our visit there last year.
    To be clear: we're not RETIRING TO, we're merely vacationing and spending a few winter months there. The majority of our time will be spent in New Durham, New Hampshire.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  5. #30
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    holland ma.
    Posts
    1,384

    Re: Retirement Destinations

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    To be clear: we're not RETIRING TO, we're merely vacationing and spending a few winter months there. The majority of our time will be spent in New Durham, New Hampshire.
    Ah, thats a better reason i think. i was wondering how you were going to get by some of the immigration laws down there.

    I would suggest Cayman if you can afford it, especially for a vacation home. Look up home ownership tax breaks and such there. You pay a lot for your home but once you do the math its becomes much more affordable plus the british pound maximizes it income potential if you rent it out when you are not there. It a tax haven country. Having an address there grants you the ability to use those banks which is crazy. I moved a good amount of money to a few because the interest rates are so good.
    Cozomel for cheap living.

    The others have there pluses and minuses depending on what your going after.

    If you consider its rental potential it will open up more areas.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  6. #31
    Lifer gixxer72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The desert
    Posts
    1,885

    Re: Retirement Destinations

    Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Are you set on staying in the states? If your willing to leave there are tons of options depending on interests and desires. Some are easier to live well at than other however. As I have lived and traveled all over the world I have been planning for my R day which came and went before I was sucked back into work but now it's coming again.
    I have my vacation home in upstate NY. Nice but taxes are terrible. I had originally planned to use it as more of a US base while I was traveling but the wife has changed her mind on it. For now it will sleep but i will use it occasionally and friends will use it more.

    My top choices now are Ecuador, Georgia (the country) and if my wife goes through with the divorce I'm heading right to Pit Cairn. PC is probably the most likely and i have been planning it for several months now as a result.
    Probably not going out of country, but I wouldnít rule it out I guess. My experience is very limited - Canada, Mexico and a year of school in England. I have zero interest in the UK or north-western Europe, I need lots of sun!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  7. #32
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,124,792

    Re: Retirement Destinations

    Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Ah, thats a better reason i think. i was wondering how you were going to get by some of the immigration laws down there.

    I would suggest Cayman if you can afford it, especially for a vacation home. Look up home ownership tax breaks and such there. You pay a lot for your home but once you do the math its becomes much more affordable plus the british pound maximizes it income potential if you rent it out when you are not there. It a tax haven country. Having an address there grants you the ability to use those banks which is crazy. I moved a good amount of money to a few because the interest rates are so good.
    Cozomel for cheap living.

    The others have there pluses and minuses depending on what your going after.

    If you consider its rental potential it will open up more areas.
    Loved Cozumel. But it *IS* Mexico, and a lot of what we saw outside of the tourist areas was pure shit...

    Grand Caymen has been our favorite to date. It's one of the few we've made it a point to get back to a few times. We didn't really consider it due to the high cost of buying, but didn't really look into possible tax breaks. We haven't really explored renting any place we buy yet either. I don't know if I like the fact they have their own currency or not though. Just me...

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  8. #33
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5,188

    Re: Retirement Destinations

    Costa Rica!

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #34
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,124,792

    Re: Retirement Destinations

    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Costa Rica!
    One of our daughters will be doing some schooling abroad down there this summer (which is their winter/rainy season). Can't wait to visit!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  10. #35
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Central MA
    Posts
    2,063

    Re: Retirement Destinations

    Someplace around Featherville, Idaho, for me I imagine....

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #36
    Lifer Falko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MoonTown
    Posts
    4,977

    Re: Retirement Destinations

    I'm going to wait and see what states fair the best after the upcoming CW.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

  12. #37
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,330

    Re: Retirement Destinations

    We will be spending winters in the Ardeche, France and summers in the Cotswolds, England.

    https://images.app.goo.gl/psjUz1EU4pnmh78a9

    https://images.app.goo.gl/FTQHfWyvmB1D4WMS8

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  13. #38
    Lifer loudbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,053

    Re: Retirement Destinations

    Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    We will be spending winters in the Ardeche, France and summers in the Cotswolds, England.

    https://images.app.goo.gl/psjUz1EU4pnmh78a9

    https://images.app.goo.gl/FTQHfWyvmB1D4WMS8
    Ah yes, the Cotswolds. Right round from Gloucestershireton, south of Wombsly, you can see Downs Bottom from there.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

  14. #39
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,330

    Re: Retirement Destinations

    Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Ah yes, the Cotswolds. Right round from Gloucestershireton, south of Wombsly, you can see Downs Bottom from there.
    You can if you stand on a hill. The hill. Wombsley Hill, to be exact.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  15. #40

    Re: Retirement Destinations

    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Costa Rica!
    Heard great things. Def a place to visit.

    I need to find out more about taxes and benefits when retire outside the country. But I definitely see us spending a lot DL time in Greece.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  16. #41

    Re: Retirement Destinations

    Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    We will be spending winters in the Ardeche, France and summers in the Cotswolds, England.

    https://images.app.goo.gl/psjUz1EU4pnmh78a9

    https://images.app.goo.gl/FTQHfWyvmB1D4WMS8
    I’d be interested to see if this is still the plan when grandchildren enter the picture.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  17. #42
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    holland ma.
    Posts
    1,384

    Re: Retirement Destinations

    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Costa Rica!
    I tried Costa Rica too. Its much more my style in the interior, near Arenal. The west coast was cartel heaven. I lived in playa hermosa first but found things to do drugs too much of daily life. Cops would set up check points to pretend to check documents while convoys of drug runners would go right on past. It was very corrupt for sure.
    Property laws are screwed there as well. You havent really lived life until you leave for vacation and come back to find someone living on your property claiming it hasnt been maintained and they have rights to it unless you pay them. Its a huge legal business down there. Thats why every square inch of that place has fences or barb wire. You always need to prove your boundries and that you havent abandoned it.
    All that and it really wasnt even cheaper than living in the states.

    Now equador is were cheap, quality living is at. $400 a month will go far and health insurance can be less than $50 a month. Tons and tons of expats down there to as they are one of only a few countries that will give you unlimited residency if you can prove a steady income ie pension or 401k.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  18. #43
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    holland ma.
    Posts
    1,384

    Re: Retirement Destinations

    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Heard great things. Def a place to visit.

    I need to find out more about taxes and benefits when retire outside the country. But I definitely see us spending a lot DL time in Greece.
    Since your greek it will probably work out good for you to be there. When i was living in athens i often thought i was the only one paying for things in the entire city. There were a lot of greek ways of avoiding to pay for things that i just couldnt figure out because i could barely talk or read things. Top of the list though was if you dont want to pay property taxes just build a house to near completion and leave some rebar sticking out of the roof and claim your not done yet so you dont pay taxes. Im told you can do that for decades and even pass it down to your children so they can do it as well.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  19. #44
    Lifer gixxer72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The desert
    Posts
    1,885

    Re: Retirement Destinations

    Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    We will be spending winters in the Ardeche, France and summers in the Cotswolds, England.

    https://images.app.goo.gl/psjUz1EU4pnmh78a9

    https://images.app.goo.gl/FTQHfWyvmB1D4WMS8
    Where in the Cotswolds? I lived just outside Borton on the Water, went to school near Bicester. It was a hell of a bus ride.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  20. #45
    Posting Freak caddydaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Harlingen, Texas
    Posts
    820

    Re: Retirement Destinations

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    To be clear: we're not RETIRING TO, we're merely vacationing and spending a few winter months there. The majority of our time will be spent in New Durham, New Hampshire.
    I'm in the Rio Grand Valley of Texas. There are a LOT of "Winter Texans" that come down here from the Northern US and Canada to spend the Winters. Winters here are really nice! Beautiful riding weather, and the beach is less than an hour from where I live.
    Oh, and the cost of living is really low here! Summers are brutally hot, but I wouldn't mind spending a few Winter months in the RGV when I retire.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

    Cages: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Diesel, 2005 Escalade

  21. #46

    Re: Retirement Destinations

    Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Since your greek it will probably work out good for you to be there. When i was living in athens i often thought i was the only one paying for things in the entire city. There were a lot of greek ways of avoiding to pay for things that i just couldnt figure out because i could barely talk or read things. Top of the list though was if you dont want to pay property taxes just build a house to near completion and leave some rebar sticking out of the roof and claim your not done yet so you dont pay taxes. Im told you can do that for decades and even pass it down to your children so they can do it as well.
    Correct. Unfortunately our parents are very by the book so we have the pleasure of paying taxes on a house we visit once a year lol.
    Also Athens is not a place to retire. I personally hate it year around.
    Healthcare is Greece is also hit or miss.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  22. #47
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    holland ma.
    Posts
    1,384

    Re: Retirement Destinations

    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Correct. Unfortunately our parents are very by the book so we have the pleasure of paying taxes on a house we visit once a year lol.
    Also Athens is not a place to retire. I personally hate it year around.
    Healthcare is Greece is also hit or miss.
    I really enjoyed living in Athens. It was the location of my house though that made it nice. I lived under the Acropolis in those old narrow streets. I enjoyed being there and had plenty of tourists to chat to that spoke english so i was never without interactions like i have been in say Japan. I did not really care to venture out much into the city though but i was perfectly happy in my area. I could have easily stayed there but the greek debt caused by themselves was going to catch up to me at some point. I knew it was only a matter of time before the EU came down hard on them again and i would be caught in it as a paying resident.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  23. #48
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    holland ma.
    Posts
    1,384

    Re: Retirement Destinations

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Loved Cozumel. But it *IS* Mexico, and a lot of what we saw outside of the tourist areas was pure shit...

    Grand Caymen has been our favorite to date. It's one of the few we've made it a point to get back to a few times. We didn't really consider it due to the high cost of buying, but didn't really look into possible tax breaks. We haven't really explored renting any place we buy yet either. I don't know if I like the fact they have their own currency or not though. Just me...
    GBP is the way to go once you do the exchange conversion. I hold my rental money i get until the exchange rate is favorable then i dump it into the US. I am never down money as i hold on to it until it swings back up then dump it. There have been times were i have gotten 20% gains and i have never been under 3-4% gains. Currency trading is a funny thing and i can see why so many people do it. It's easy money most of the time.
    The US also gives you tax breaks on foreign taxes outside of the US up to $100k but sense Cayman has zero taxes it doesnt really matter. You own your house and no one can take it away from you.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  24. #49
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,330

    Re: Retirement Destinations

    Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Where in the Cotswolds? I lived just outside Borton on the Water, went to school near Bicester. It was a hell of a bus ride.
    Not sure. I just love that part of the country. As far away from a motorway as possible is the plan right now. Small village with a local store and a village pub. Heaven.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  25. #50
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    16,608

    Re: Retirement Destinations

    You'll still be on camera 24x7.

    (I kid. But after visiting Devon last year I do kind of get it.)

    Retirement Destinations-img_5958-jpg

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •