Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141525 ... LastLast

Is a ridgeline a pickup?

Re: Is a ridgeline a pickup?

yeah, but it's kinda worth it....they ARE nice

c'monnnnnn power ball!!

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 01-13-16 at 11:11 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke
    instagram @veshlife

Too girly and not enough towing capacity for me.

0 Not allowed!
    2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Cages: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Diesel, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Guys who think a Ridgeline is a truck probably sit down when they pee.
    This is funny. Compared to any Army truck all this stuff is posing. A Blazer with diesel and highest capacity axles and electrical nomenclature was "Truck, Utility, Commercial, Light Duty."

Buy what you want, who cares what the bros think.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 01-14-16 at 07:25 AM.
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Damn, I haven't bought a new car or truck in many years. These prices make no sense to me. Even the ridgeline. If you have a mortgage anywhere near the standard 30 percent of your income, the math does not add up to being able to afford one or two of these things as a daily driver. You would be into negative cashflow in a heartbeat.

I get that real HD trucks are priced high because of the corporate write-off, but people spending that on a liability like a daily driver on a paycheck economy doesn't make sense.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Says the guy driving a van that MSRP'ed deep in the $30k range.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I've actually been contemplating the minivan option as a replacement for my Highlander Hybrid when the time comes. All my toys, more cargo room... just gotta make sure I get AWD and 3500lb min towing capacity.
    They all have 3500# bolt on hitch, but AFAIK only Tojora Sienna offers AWD which will cost you $35K for the cheapest AWD model ($50K with all the doo-dads)
    I actually considered Sienna this last time around but have been driving mostly Hondas for 20+ years and it feels more familiar and sporty.
    Honda makes Pilot which uses same platform as Qdyssey, it sits 7 in 3 rows, it's basically a minivan disguised as an SUV so your kids are not ashamed when you pick them up from school
    Ridgeline is also same platform, underneath it's a chopped up Pilot and this is why it drives like a normal car.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    That's weird. Mine is totally not like that. The column shifter doesn't bother me. I actually prefer it. Mine has steering wheel controls, so I rarely reach for the center stack anyway.

I know the sitting too low, too short cab/too high dash GM thing. Mine doesn't have it. First thing that I thought when I climbed in the cab was "wow, they've fixed that". The only half-ton I found more comfortable was the Ram 1500. The Ram rides better too.

What is utterly GM is the insanely over-the-top power-steering. The truck handles snow well, but turns it into a white knuckle experience because the steering gives no feedback at the wheel. I find it is hard to keep the damned thing in its lane at times.

I can agree about the prices. All these trucks are that kind of money nowadays. And GM does rebate the hell out of them.
    Weird, because mine has that sit low, high dash feeling just like the older GMs. Must be to make it more car-like and soccer mom friendly. The ram was just the opposite, and the ford just right. I couldn't get a good lease on either of those unfortunately and got smitten with the GM engine. I do find the steering a bit vague, but my ford had quirky steering too. The magnetic ride is pretty stiff, and sharp edged bumps are really jarring. Overall my complaints with the truck itself are pretty minor after 5 months and 3k miles.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitry View Post
    They all have 3500# bolt on hitch, but AFAIK only Tojora Sienna offers AWD which will cost you $35K for the cheapest AWD model ($50K with all the doo-dads)
    I actually considered Sienna this last time around but have been driving mostly Hondas for 20+ years and it feels more familiar and sporty.
    Honda makes Pilot which uses same platform as Qdyssey, it sits 7 in 3 rows, it's basically a minivan disguised as an SUV so your kids are not ashamed when you pick them up from school
    Ridgeline is also same platform, underneath it's a chopped up Pilot and this is why it drives like a normal car.
    Looks like Toyota doesn't recommend towing anymore with the Sienna in AWD trim for some reason. Looking more and more like I'll end up in another Highlander Hybrid or it's Lexus equivalent when the time comes.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

Says the guy driving a van that MSRP'ed deep in the $30k range.
    Bought for less than 50 percent MSRP with 100K on the clock. Do these thing drop in value that much? If so, then used makes sense.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    "...
    And this brings us back to the problem with the Ridgeline. It seems comfortable. It looks good. It has a roomy interior. It has a powerful V6. It has a large bed that beats most competitors. But is that enough for truck owners? Hell no! Most pickup owners will look at the Ridgeline and laugh, as they cruise around in their big, manly, full-size, V8-powered trucks, getting 12 miles per gallon because occasionally they have to carry a chair.
    ..."

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by AEG View Post
    "...
    And this brings us back to the problem with the Ridgeline. It seems comfortable. It looks good. It has a roomy interior. It has a powerful V6. It has a large bed that beats most competitors. But is that enough for truck owners? Hell no! Most pickup owners will look at the Ridgeline and laugh, as they cruise around in their big, manly, full-size, V8-powered trucks, getting 12 miles per gallon because occasionally they have to carry a chair.
    ..."
    What year is your Ridgeline? LOLOLOL

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    This is funny. Compared to any Army truck all this stuff is posing. A Blazer with diesel and highest capacity axles and electrical nomenclature was "Truck, Utility, Commercial, Light Duty."

Buy what you want, who cares what the bros think.
    Yeah. Yeah. If you don't need a CDL it's not a real truck. Bottom line to me is if I can't accomplish something with my car/trailer a full size truck makes way more sense than something like a Ridgeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Damn, I haven't bought a new car or truck in many years. These prices make no sense to me. Even the ridgeline. If you have a mortgage anywhere near the standard 30 percent of your income, the math does not add up to being able to afford one or two of these things as a daily driver. You would be into negative cashflow in a heartbeat.

I get that real HD trucks are priced high because of the corporate write-off, but people spending that on a liability like a daily driver on a paycheck economy doesn't make sense.
    Well when complex things like stability control and back up cameras get mandated costs are going to go up. We also have much heavier, albeit structurally safer vehicles, mandated to get ever increasing fuel economy while we as a public demand more and more power. All those things costs money. A bread and butter econobox is pushing 20g's now

I agree pricing is insane all around and I don't know how people are going to continue to pay for these things, but the "why" behind at least some of the pricing is fairly easy to understand.

As for the trucks and SUVs mentioned here, forecasted residuals are in the 60% range for 3 years and 50% range for 5.

1 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Yeah. Yeah. If you don't need a CDL it's not a real truck. Bottom line to me is if I can't accomplish something with my car/trailer a full size truck makes way more sense than something like a Ridgeline./
    Fair commentary.

...But not completely true, surely someone here has a bobbed deuce and a half?

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 01-14-16 at 10:35 AM.
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Looks like Toyota doesn't recommend towing anymore with the Sienna in AWD trim for some reason. Looking more and more like I'll end up in another Highlander Hybrid or it's Lexus equivalent when the time comes.
    I'm your guy, for the Lexus.

Well when complex things like stability control and back up cameras get mandated costs are going to go up. We also have much heavier, albeit structurally safer vehicles, mandated to get ever increasing fuel economy while we as a public demand more and more power. All those things costs money. A bread and butter econobox is pushing 20g's now

I agree pricing is insane all around and I don't know how people are going to continue to pay for these things, but the "why" behind at least some of the pricing is fairly easy to understand.

As for the trucks and SUVs mentioned here, forecasted residuals are in the 60% range for 3 years and 50% range for 5.
    Leasing is big business now. Before it was primarily with the Luxury cars but in the last 2 years my Chevy store has seen a dramatic swing in the number of cars leased. And that's not even on the expensive trucks. When you can walk out with a new Equinox AWD putting a thousand bucks down and have a payment of $200-250 a month for 3 years its not bad at all.

But its not all rosy as some cars lease really bad, case in point the all new Impala, costs more than a Lex ES350.

0 Not allowed!

I'm your guy, for the Lexus.

Leasing is big business now. Before it was primarily with the Luxury cars but in the last 2 years my Chevy store has seen a dramatic swing in the number of cars leased. And that's not even on the expensive trucks. When you can walk out with a new Equinox AWD putting a thousand bucks down and have a payment of $200-250 a month for 3 years its not bad at all.

But its not all rosy as some cars lease really bad, case in point the all new Impala, costs more than a Lex ES350.
    I see this as an eventual bubble. The auto industry has had a few banner years lately. As more and more people lease so they can "afford" these things what is going to eventually happen when they're turned in and the secondary market is flooded and/or people now can't afford a 30k car without a 5-6 year note?

Modern vehicles are becoming more and more cost prohibitive to own as they age and I see more people walking away from things. Screw housing, the automotive segment is going to be the next credit bubble to burst again.

The pricing on these "necessities" with income stagnating is going to eventually bite pretty hard.

0 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Bought for less than 50 percent MSRP with 100K on the clock. Do these thing drop in value that much? If so, then used makes sense.
    Ah. I see we are comparing our apples to your oranges.

Don't be a hypocrite : New to new, your van was (is?) as spendy as these trucks are. The deal you got isn't all that radically unique from say the diesel GM 3/4 ton Stonky just dragged home from Colorado.

I don't understand why so many people buy new when there are perfectly reasonably priced, rust free vehicles a scant 2500 miles away that only need a head-to toe paint job.

On this subject, one of the managers at work just found out that the sill plates on the 10 year old half-ton he got a "screaming deal on" are rusted through. Body guy took a look, found someone had repaired the fenders and cab corners already. His advice : "sell the fuckin' thing now while you can". He's already told us he's taking Friday off to go shop for a new truck. I get it.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 01-14-16 at 11:09 AM.

Interest rates are going up in 2016, but you didn't hear it from me.

I think the market may take a dive, as your going to have this flood of fairly new low mileage cars, that are great used cars, but their values are going to drop. Were that 2nd owner is going to get a screaming deal in a 3 years on a car.

Working in this business I agree on how crazy priced normal cars are, than it makes the Luxury ones seem not so bad.

0 Not allowed!

I see this as an eventual bubble. The auto industry has had a few banner years lately. As more and more people lease so they can "afford" these things what is going to eventually happen when they're turned in and the secondary market is flooded and/or people now can't afford a 30k car without a 5-6 year note?

Modern vehicles are becoming more and more cost prohibitive to own as they age and I see more people walking away from things. Screw housing, the automotive segment is going to be the next credit bubble to burst again.

The pricing on these "necessities" with income stagnating is going to eventually bite pretty hard.
    Fully agree. Based on a 58% residual and 5% financing if you bought an off lease vehicle and wanted a reasonable payment close to what the original lease payment was you are looking at a 7 year note. Makes no sense at all with the accumulated interest and the end result being a 10 year old rusted piece of shit with minimal value. I just ran these numbers on an Acadia I lease for my wife to drive.

Factor in that the lessee doesn't pay for anything that goes wrong with the vehicle, and in some cases the maintenance is included. The poor bastard who buys it used has no warranty and eats everything that goes wrong. Additionally, the lessee has used up the best part of the vehicles life (first 40k or so), and not given a fuck about doing anything to try and extend the longevity of the vehicle because they just don't have to care. I rarely wash my vehicles, when I was buying them I was meticulous about keeping them clean. I don't care if it idles forever or how many short trips around town I might make on a freezing day. Let it warm up and oil circulate? Fuck no, I'm already dropping it into drive the second I let off the key. I sure as shit don't want to buy my off lease vehicle or anyone else's, where do they all go??

0 Not allowed!

Ah. I see we are comparing our apples to your oranges.

Don't be a hypocrite : New to new, your van was (is?) as spendy as these trucks are. The deal you got isn't all that radically unique from say the diesel GM 3/4 ton Stonky just dragged home from Colorado.

I don't understand why so many people buy new when there are perfectly reasonably priced, rust free vehicles a scant 2500 miles away that only need a head-to toe paint job.

On this subject, one of the managers at work just found out that the sill plates on the 10 year old half-ton he got a "screaming deal on" are rusted through. Body guy took a look, found someone had repaired the fenders and cab corners already. His advice : "sell the fuckin' thing now while you can". He's already told us he's taking Friday off to go shop for a new truck. I get it.
    I'm not a hypocrite. I'm questioning the economy of buying a truck for over 60k that is not actively making you money. Add in maintenance and consumables and you are driving around in a house! I see some other folks have caught on to what I'm getting at. This bubble has to burst.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Paul_E_D; 01-14-16 at 11:46 AM.
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Fuck no, I'm already dropping it into drive the second I let off the key. I sure as shit don't want to buy my off lease vehicle or anyone else's, where do they all go??
    Paul buys 'em.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by AEG View Post
    "...
    ..."
    I think that guy is just salty that his Ridgeline gets worse gas mileage than a V8 full size.

4 Not allowed!
    LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / Mad Scientist Moto / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / GMD Computrack Boston / Knox / Moto Pizza
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2007 Kawasaki EX650

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Fully agree. Based on a 58% residual and 5% financing if you bought an off lease vehicle and wanted a reasonable payment close to what the original lease payment was you are looking at a 7 year note. Makes no sense at all with the accumulated interest and the end result being a 10 year old rusted piece of shit with minimal value. I just ran these numbers on an Acadia I lease for my wife to drive.

Factor in that the lessee doesn't pay for anything that goes wrong with the vehicle, and in some cases the maintenance is included. The poor bastard who buys it used has no warranty and eats everything that goes wrong. Additionally, the lessee has used up the best part of the vehicles life (first 40k or so), and not given a fuck about doing anything to try and extend the longevity of the vehicle because they just don't have to care. I rarely wash my vehicles, when I was buying them I was meticulous about keeping them clean. I don't care if it idles forever or how many short trips around town I might make on a freezing day. Let it warm up and oil circulate? Fuck no, I'm already dropping it into drive the second I let off the key. I sure as shit don't want to buy my off lease vehicle or anyone else's, where do they all go??
    Had a similar situation come up with a customer I leased a car to a 27 months ago. its an the RX suv, they put minimal money down and paid 500 a month for it. now the lease is up and they were thinking of buying it out, problem is the buy out is about 32K financing that amount plus buying a CPO warranty till 100K for another 5 years gives them a 600 plus payment. So leases tend to force you into getting another one and keeping your payments reasonable.

0 Not allowed!

Had a similar situation come up with a customer I leased a car to a 27 months ago. its an the RX suv, they put minimal money down and paid 500 a month for it. now the lease is up and they were thinking of buying it out, problem is the buy out is about 32K financing that amount plus buying a CPO warranty till 100K for another 5 years gives them a 600 plus payment. So leases tend to force you into getting another one and keeping your payments reasonable.
    Yup. And I shake my head every time I hear that someone actually put money down on a lease...

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BMMCBR View Post
    I think that guy is just salty that his Ridgeline gets worse gas mileage than a V8 full size.
    Really. If this thing doesn't get mid to high 20's at least, it's a non starter.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

My prediction is the EPA numbers will be 18/26 with a combined rating of 21. It will be "best in class" by about 5-10% and in practice cost almost exactly as much to fuel as a V6 Tacoma quad-cab 4WD or Colorado.

I agree it will be a non-starter. This thing will not sell because it gives things up without bringing anything substantial to the table.

0 Not allowed!