Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

River Cruises

River Cruises

Me and Steph have been thinking about river cruises, have not done much research, but we are intrigued and want to do it in 2017.

Anyone been on one? I think we are gonna try to stay in USA for our 1st. Any recommendations? Do's and dont's? Any places to get deals? I hear they discount heavily if the cruise does not sell out....

Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    Johnny

Its an Italian bike...Ive had (have?) a few

Re: River Cruises

My sister just did a 3 week one through Europe. They are bonkers expensive at first, but if you can wait, the discounts get very big. Like from 20k down to 4k. They enjoyed it, but not quite as much as they expected. Being on a river necessarily limits what you can see and do.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

We did one this past summer along the Danube. It was first class all the way. We really enjoyed it... the benefit isn't the cruise, but it's nice that you only unpack once and then enjoy several countries along the way.

The boat itself was nice... the crew/staff were very professional and all your requests were fulfilled. The food/drink was good... some things were great and some were meh... overall a fantastic onboard experience.

The ports along the way and all the planned tours/excursions were very well planned.

It wasn't cheap, but it was a great vacation.

1 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

I've thought about the these cruises.

0 Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

I have done them on the St. Lawrence, the Hudson and the Potomac. St Lawrence was best. All were fun though, and relatively cheap since I used my own boat.

2 Not allowed!

We rented a house boat on the Trent-Severn Waterway in Canada. Trent–Severn Waterway - Wikipedia

It was awesome. We went wherever we wanted. Many nights we pulled into an island rather than anchoring. Throw a line over and catch fish. Stop in small towns for ice cream. Amuse the lock operators.

0 Not allowed!

We did a few days in prince William sound in a small boat. While technically not a river, we went through some passes with feet to spare on either side of the boat and way up in some fjords right up to some glaciers and stuff.
    it was an absolutely fantastic experience.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    We did a few days in prince William sound in a small boat. While technically not a river, we went through some passes with feet to spare on either side of the boat and way up in some fjords right up to some glaciers and stuff.
    it was an absolutely fantastic experience.
    Wow, that sounds cool. The cruises up the inside passage are also something to put on the bucket list.

I think the type of river cruise the OP was asking about is different from what most here are posting about. Riverboat cruises are kind of a luxury thing. You get a suite, often with doors/windows right out onto the deck. The boats are not huge as they often go under fixed bridges etc. They can be quite expensive. Easily 10-20k per person for a 2 week trip.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Wow, that sounds cool. The cruises up the inside passage are also something to put on the bucket list.

I think the type of river cruise the OP was asking about is different from what most here are posting about. Riverboat cruises are kind of a luxury thing. You get a suite, often with doors/windows right out onto the deck. The boats are not huge as they often go under fixed bridges etc. They can be quite expensive. Easily 10-20k per person for a 2 week trip.
    It was dope. This was on a 110'ish boat, like the whale watch boats I worked on.
    Same thing, room opens onto deck, pretty quaint, but the boat was aging, so I wouldn't call it luxurious. If they updated the vessel it might be closer to what I'm envisioning you're talking about.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    We rented a house boat on the Trent-Severn Waterway in Canada. Trent–Severn Waterway - Wikipedia

It was awesome. We went wherever we wanted. Many nights we pulled into an island rather than anchoring. Throw a line over and catch fish. Stop in small towns for ice cream. Amuse the lock operators.
    We will be doing the Rideau Canal/Ottowa River/St Lawrence River loop this Summer. It's about 400 miles and 52 locks (I think). We are planning on 8 or 9 days. Trent Severn is on the bucket list.

1 Not allowed!

Im curious about doing the Mississippi......

0 Not allowed!
    Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Easily 10-20k per person for a 2 week trip.
    Dang, that's Tavarua money

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    Im curious about doing the Mississippi......
    I imagine that could be fun. The towns along the river can be pretty cool. From what I have heard the upper part of the river is best, the lower half is apparently not all that interesting.

You may want to consider a Rideau waterway cruise, if you have not done so already. You could do it without having to fly (Kingston, ON is an easy drive from New England) and the scenery is reportedly spectacular. See: Rideau Canal, Lake Ontario, Kingston: Ontario Waterway Cruises . If you have never been to Ottowa, it's a beautiful city.

1 Not allowed!

Alaska Marine Highway.
    Alaska Marine Highway System - Official site of the
    Alaska DOT&PF

Get on in Bellingham WA, cruise inside passage all the way up, get off where ever, fly back.
    Book early.

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by lobsta3 View Post
    Alaska Marine Highway.
    Alaska Marine Highway System - Official site of the
    Alaska DOT&PF

Get on in Bellingham WA, cruise inside passage all the way up, get off where ever, fly back.
    Book early.
    My neighbor is from Alaska and says that is, by far, the best way to see the state as a tourist unless you have your own boat. I hope to cruise the area in my own boat (not my current one, something bigger) someday.

0 Not allowed!

We went with Tauck
    Tours, small ship cruises, river cruises and family travel adventures at Tauck.com

We were looking at Viking first, but they don't allow kids and our trip was a multi family get together.

1 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

OP: I see a boat in your future. Way more fun

0 Not allowed!
    [SIGPIhttp://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic8737_4.gifC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
    OP: I see a boat in your future. Way more fun
    No way.....i like boats, just nowhere near enough for the hassel of owning one.

0 Not allowed!
    Johnny

I love boats and dogs... other people's boats and dogs that is.

2 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D